• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2012
    Scribe wrote
    Watching the trailer feels like there's a whole lot more story than can possibly be fit into a 2 hour movie.

That's why the running time will be coming closer to a 3 hour film (the original cut was nearly over 3 hours, it's currently unclear how much of it was cut, but it will probably clock in at a little under 3 hours).

Still, it's indeed a very ambitious film, and one that can go either way; be a great success, or a spectacular failure. Fortunately, it seems that if it's a failure, it'll probably be an interesting one, so I'm looking forward to it.

Test screenings were mixed, by the way. Not overtly enthusiastic, but enough positive reactions. According to them, it's a great looking film that's only to be grasped in a single viewing if you've read the book, otherwise, it's too confusing.

Hugh Grant already mentioned in a British talk show he was very uncertain about his roles and said he realised during filming he couldn't actually deliver what was asked of him ("what was I thinking?", and such). It also seems his part was largely cut from the finished film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    BobdH wrote
    Scribe wrote
    Watching the trailer feels like there's a whole lot more story than can possibly be fit into a 2 hour movie.

That's why the running time will be coming closer to a 3 hour film (the original cut was nearly over 3 hours, it's currently unclear how much of it was cut, but it will probably clock in at a little under 3 hours).

Still, it's indeed a very ambitious film, and one that can go either way; be a great success, or a spectacular failure. Fortunately, it seems that if it's a failure, it'll probably be an interesting one, so I'm looking forward to it.

It became my most anticipated film of this year after watching the trailer. Something in it got my full attention. CAN'T WAIT.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2012 edited
    Regarding "The Fountain", I couldn't figure out a single possible interpretation that made any sense. Maybe I should watch it again...I hadn't the slightest clue about any "new age" concepts back then, so maybe that's why it made no sense.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    I think one of the tricks with this CLOUD ATLAS score is that one of the 6 plots directly concerns a composer's effort to come out with a new shattering piece of music in the 1920s, against the backdrop of British nostalgia concert music and the growth of dodecaphonic music. All respect to Tykwer and his friends, but I don't know that they have it in them to pull that off. That's the sort of thing that needs a John Corigliano or an Elliot Goldenthal.

They proved to be very good at PERFUME. Difficult and very high a bar to be reached, but i am confident. I am not sure about Corigliano, at all.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BobdH wrote

Hugh Grant already mentioned in a British talk show he was very uncertain about his roles and said he realised during filming he couldn't actually deliver what was asked of him ("what was I thinking?", and such). It also seems his part was largely cut from the finished film.

On a sidenote, Hugh Grant can't act.
  1. Demetris wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    I think one of the tricks with this CLOUD ATLAS score is that one of the 6 plots directly concerns a composer's effort to come out with a new shattering piece of music in the 1920s, against the backdrop of British nostalgia concert music and the growth of dodecaphonic music. All respect to Tykwer and his friends, but I don't know that they have it in them to pull that off. That's the sort of thing that needs a John Corigliano or an Elliot Goldenthal.

They proved to be very good at PERFUME. Difficult and very high a bar to be reached, but i am confident. I am not sure about Corigliano, at all.

What I'm saying is they're going to have to write music that requires a lot more sense of early 20th century music than anything they've done before. It's an effort that requires a superior orchestrator with a strong feel for musical history. If Corigliano didn't do a comparable task in THE RED VIOLIN, I can't think of anyone else who has. The piece on the CLOUD ATLAS website may well be for one of the futuristic episodes of the film (it wouldn't go astray alongside FOUNTAIN's pop orchestral minimalism), but if it's meant to be connected to Robert Frobisher's 'Cloud Atlas Quintet' (so prominent in the novel), they've written in the wrong idiom altogether.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. Scribe wrote
    I couldn't figure out a single possible interpretation that made any sense. Maybe I should watch it again...I hadn't the slightest clue about any "new age" concepts back then, so maybe that's why it made no sense.

Are you talking about not being able to figure out the film's plot from the preview? Yeah, my first thought was, "What on earth is this movie about??" I watched that preview a few times and then decided I had to look up a book synopsis. It's complicated, but a really cool non-linear way to tell a story. In fact, the non-linear story telling is kind of the whole point of the book. With a clearer idea of the plot of the book I'm not surprised at all that the preview couldn't give you an idea of the plot. It's a very ambitious project.

On a side note, the preview convinced me to read the book. I think that's the first time that's ever happened to me. I haven't started it yet, but I've ordered it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2012
    Sorry I was talking about the Fountain not making sense.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  3. oh shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2012 edited
    CLOUD ATLAS is the kind of ambitious project that either ends up fantastic or a spectacular mess. Early word at the Toronto film festival is, according to Empire at least, not good...

A book I haven't read and may yet have to is David Mitchell's Cloud Atlas, since the film didn't make an iota of sense to me. This is not Empire's official verdict, and is in no way a review, but I found this collaboration by the Wachowski brothers and Tom Tykwer to be utterly confounding. (...) All I will say is that 163 minutes is a long time to be left in the dark.

Source: http://www.empireonline.com/empireblogs … post/p1287

Well, at the very least it's a challenging film, then.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2012 edited
    Ouch. I'm adjusting my expectations.

After the short negative scribble of Empire on the film, IndieWire now comes with an elaborate article on why the film isn't any good. It seems what was feared is true - it's an incoherent mess without any relevant philosophy.

On a technical level, we suppose the film is an accomplishment, with costumes and period details mostly coming through, but in most other ways, this $100 million effort offers fortune cookie social commentary put in a blender with a handful of thinly interlocking stories, in a failed attempt to say something meaningful about the human condition, and how modes of good and evil perpetuate themselves across centuries.

Source: 'Cloud Atlas' Is Bold, Messy & Disappointingly Unimaginative
  4. Having read the book, I'm very interested to see how it will work. It sounds like they may have put too much faith in cross-cutting as a storytelling tool, so that a fresh viewer has too much to take in without the many strands developing their own momentum. A viewer who already knows the various stories might find it more satisfying.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2012
    Well they said the same (and worst) about the fountain but I still adored it. So...
  5. Here's the piece of score that appears on the film's website:
    http://soundcloud.com/satoorn/cloud-atlas-soundtrack
    I like it, but it does become a bit like a DARK KNIGHT action cue by the end.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2012
    franz_conrad wrote
    Here's the piece of score that appears on the film's website:
    http://soundcloud.com/satoorn/cloud-atlas-soundtrack
    I like it, but it does become a bit like a DARK KNIGHT action cue by the end.

We're all wired differently. I agree with you but I like it more than Dark Knight.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. Definitely better! Just you can sort of hear the zeitgeist the score is operating in.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2012
    cd cover
    tracklisting
    SOUND CLIPS

CLOUD ATLAS

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009JC … lmusrep-20
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Also...

http://movieline.com/2012/09/27/cloud-a … stic-fest/
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2012 edited
    For as far as I can judge after hearing the sound clips, this score sounds great. Can't wait.

p.s. Would track 5 (Cavendish In Distress) be a deliberate nod to Nino Rota's Otto et Mezzo?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    This can be the score of the year smile OR Fernando Velasquez' THE IMPOSSIBLE. Can't wait for both of them!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I hope it's better than Perfume, probably the most overrated film score since I started noticing them.
  7. I heard Perfume played live to a movie, that was my first exposure to the score and I agree.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I don't agree but you already know this smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Fully disagree with that statement as well. I didn't recognize PERFUME immediately, but I certainly do now. It's great in composition, thematically and how it represents scent in the film, a very difficult task. I doubt CLOUD ATLAS will be able to live up to THAT (also after the negative buzz the film is getting), but I'm sure it'll be a score worth getting.
  8. I notice there's an additional composer listed for the actual 'sextet', which could mean it stands a chance of being in keeping with the piece described in the novel (TKH just don't write music that way).
    That aside, it sounds like it will be a nice album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2012
    One of those times when three just isn't enough composers.
  9. Tut tut.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Composer no. 4 is actually one of the orchestrators of Perfume, ie the man tasked with turning music written by three keyboard players with no musical training into something fit to be played by the Berlin Philharmonic, so who knows.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    What's with the no musical training thing? Some of the best film composers are "not musically trained".
  10. Demetris wrote
    What's with the no musical training thing? Some of the best film composers are "not musically trained".

Yes, but it would be a strange thing to choose them out of all the composers in the world to write the music that constitutes a major plotline in CLOUD ATLAS.