• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Demetris wrote
    Too much analyzing and thinking takes all the fun away wink

Next time you record a duet for 50 players in a studio, let me know and I'll come along. tongue
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. Oh, I see what you're getting at. The scenes with Frobisher writing the piece start with a smaller ensemble - he hears it as a sextet in his mind, but you never actually see a performance of it as a sextet, no.

[spoiler]Frobisher never truly finishes the sextet piece before he commits suicide (I seem to remember he drops the sheet music on the floor after he shoots Ayrs and then runs), and I if memory serves the piece that Luisa listens to in the record store is intended to be Ayrs and Kesselring's fully-orchestral expansion of the theme Frobisher writes for the original sextet. I *think* the LP sleeve of the record that Luisa listens to credits Ayrs, not Frobisher, but I could be mistaken. [/spoiler]

So, the piece on the CD is meant to be an expansion of Frobisher's original melody for the sextet, not the sextet itself.
  3. Could the "sextet" be a reference to something in the film itself rather than being a musical reference? Maybe featuring in six specific periods during the course of the film.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. No, Frobisher is writing a sextet in the musical sense of the word. It fits in the idea of six stories too, of course, as I'm sure was the author's point.
  5. Jon Broxton wrote
    Oh, I see what you're getting at. The scenes with Frobisher writing the piece start with a smaller ensemble - he hears it as a sextet in his mind, but you never actually see a performance of it as a sextet, no.

[spoiler]Frobisher never truly finishes the sextet piece before he commits suicide (I seem to remember he drops the sheet music on the floor after he shoots Ayrs and then runs), and I if memory serves the piece that Luisa listens to in the record store is intended to be Ayrs and Kesselring's fully-orchestral expansion of the theme Frobisher writes for the original sextet. I *think* the LP sleeve of the record that Luisa listens to credits Ayrs, not Frobisher, but I could be mistaken. [/spoiler]

So, the piece on the CD is meant to be an expansion of Frobisher's original melody for the sextet, not the sextet itself.

Thanks for that. And that spoiler section is interesting. They've changed the idea of the piece a bit -- but I can see how that sort of works. It also explains why the orchestral piece is so much more conservative.[spoiler] (Since Ayres is out of his depth in the music scene of the mid-20s.)[/spoiler]

But for Alan -- the 'sextet' was a true sextet in the novel. The quote from the novel where is it described is on the previous page of this thread. It's actually at the heart of the novel for the way the various instruments intertwine in that sextet was meant to be a model for the way the various plotlines in CLOUD ATLAS relate to each other. It would have been nice to hear such a piece, as a fan of the novel.

If anyone's interested, here's a bit more about this fictional piece of music that apparently matters so much:
    http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/201 … _like.html
    It may seem strange that anyone would care so much about something that happens in one of the book's many stories, but the curious thing about the CLOUD ATLAS novel is that I think you could actually have adapted the book -- changing whole plot lines to a great degree -- provided you got this piece of music and its comment on the stories floating around it right.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2013
    I, frankenstein, cd release.

Want but hope it's not all droney and synthy. Have huge doubts about the movie though.

http://www.amazon.com/Frankenstein-Orig … l_huc_item
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2013 edited
    Here's some 13-minute samples from the score:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XPbhDExtZQ
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2014
    My God, the film is hideous from what the first reviews suggest http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/i_frankenstein/
  6. And the only "fresh" review is a 2/5. Come to think of it, how the hell did that count as "fresh?" confused
  7. My review of A HOLOGRAM FOR THE KING, for anyone who's interested:

https://moviemusicuk.us/2016/04/26/a-ho … om-tykwer/

Jon
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2021 edited
    Soooo, Tykwer and Kleimek will be composing the score for The Matrix Resurrections. Thoughts?

If you ask me, this could be either very cool or an extreme letdown. Given how Tykwer en Kleimek’s scores have been alternately incredibly impressive (Perfume, Cloud Atlas) or very boring (The International) I’m just hoping they’ll bring their A-game to this.

As for the film, I’m holding my breath for something cool. The Wachowski’s haven’t really done anything impressive (or good, really) since Cloud Atlas, so let’s hope Lana will surprise me and deliver something that’s closer to the original Matrix. Trailer’s up tomorrow!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2021
    As you say, their track record is mixed. PERFUME is superb. Didn't care much for CLOUD ATLAS, though.

Obviously, I would have preferred Davis (with Juno Reactor), but that is now only of academic interest.

Time will show!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2021 edited
    Yeah, I wonder if they’ll bring in Juno Reactor for additional music in the action scenes like they did before. I mean, that could still happen. Even though Tykwer and Klimek proved with Lola Rennt that they’re able to bring that techno-energy by themselves. This could be a return of sorts to that style.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2021 edited
    So, the first trailer is up now! Mainly using that Alice in Wonderland-Jefferson Airplane song, but ending on the title with Don Davis’ iconic Matrix-sound, hinting that they won’t be abandoning that sound?

Also, I watched the trailer premiere on YouTube, which started off with two minutes of ‘waiting music’ up till the premiere. This consisted of Vangelis-like synths mingled with the ‘code’ sounds. This might be hastily put together soundscapes just for the event, but while listening to this, I started to wonder if they would be inspired by Blade Runner.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2021
    BobdH wrote
    Yeah, I wonder if they’ll bring in Juno Reactor for additional music in the action scenes like they did before. I mean, that could still happen. Even though Tykwer and Klimek proved with Lola Rennt that they’re able to bring that techno-energy by themselves. This could be a return of sorts to that style.

Sure. Love that score. I'll take both Juno Reactor and electronic elements in general, if they so choose.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Still sad Don Davis doesn't return. He's not doing anything anymore, maybe he stopped for good?
    And for the love of god, if they don't (at least) copy some of the Matrix sound, then why bother?
    So, they better get it right (but infuse their own sound into it too)
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2021
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Still sad Don Davis doesn't return. He's not doing anything anymore, maybe he stopped for good?
    And for the love of god, if they don't (at least) copy some of the Matrix sound, then why bother?

He did the wonderful TOKYO GHOUL, but that's already 4 years ago.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. Thor wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Still sad Don Davis doesn't return. He's not doing anything anymore, maybe he stopped for good?

He did the wonderful TOKYO GHOUL, but that's already 4 years ago.

I know, and then I thought he was back for good. But alas nothing anymore. A bit sad when great composers suddenly don't get the assignments anymore, or it's a personal reason we don't know off
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2021 edited
    Johnny Klimek and Tom Tykwer - The Matrix Resurrections:
    http://www.maintitles.net/reviews/the-m … rrections/