• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2009 edited
    The Diary of Anne Frank

Has anyone else watched this? It was shown nightly all week on BBC 1, I recorded it and watched all 5 half hour episodes last night.

I've seen at least two versions before and I can say that this one was without a doubt the best one and featured a stunningly good cast ( all of whom I'd never seen or heard of ), particularly the lead who looked amazingly close to the real Anne.

It's being repeated soon and for those who can get it I thoroughly recommend this heartrendingly tragic true story, knowing how it would all end still made no difference, I was still in tears.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2009
    Ahem! Roman numerals please. That's how we roll.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Which one is it? I looked on IMDB and there are at least 9 different series or movies with that title!
    I haven't seen any of those I'm afraid.

Last week Titanic was on TV. I was in the mood to watch it again after many years, so I took out the DVD and saw the movie again on the surround set. I don't understand how some people can only look at it as a chick's flick, love story, whatever. It is just stunning. It is never a minute too long and it all looks just great. Don't you all agree? Excellent cast too. OK, the music sounds a bit dated, but the movie itself is still awesome in my opinion in many ways.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    Ahem! Roman numerals please. That's how we roll.

I'll change it if everyone wants 'Roman', I think calling it Part "2" distinguishes it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregje wrote
    Which one is it? I looked on IMDB and there are at least 9 different series or movies with that title!
    I haven't seen any of those I'm afraid.

Last week Titanic was on TV. I was in the mood to watch it again after many years, so I took out the DVD and saw the movie again on the surround set. I don't understand how some people can only look at it as a chick's flick, love story, whatever. It is just stunning. It is never a minute too long and it all looks just great. Don't you all agree? Excellent cast too. OK, the music sounds a bit dated, but the movie itself is still awesome in my opinion in many ways.

I have no problem saying I love Cameron's TITANIC cool Love the music too though not so much the 'ENYA' bits.

Anne Frank is a brand new BBC made drama Bregje, please check it out if you can, I thought it was moving and wonderful. Essential viewing, I think, for younger people who may not know the story and a superbly done new version for those of us who do.
  1. Who played the girl?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Who played the girl?

Ellie Kendrick played Anne ( no, me neither ), brilliant performance by this young actress.
  2. I really like Titanic, even the Enya bits, which as a matter of fact are Sissel bits. wink
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Mission Impossible

Oh man, I cannot wait for Jon Voight to go up against Bauer! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Bregje wrote

I consider Titanic a masterpiece (from one of the most brilliant directors ever) since I watched it for the first time.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Titanic suffered from being too popular, and unfortunately there are many people who believe once a film, a piece of music, a product, whatever it may be, becomes too popular, it's unworthy of their attention. And so it becomes criticized.

I can't stand that kind of mindset. And I love Titanic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Steven wrote
    Titanic suffered from being too popular, and unfortunately there are many people who believe once a film, a piece of music, a product, whatever it may be, becomes too popular, it's unworthy of their attention. And so it becomes criticized.

This is so true. Besides, Titanic is a phenomenon (both movie and social wise) that happens once in a lifetime. I´m glad I was there to live it.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Marselus wrote
    Steven wrote

This is so true. Besides, Titanic is a phenomenon (both movie and social wise) that happens once in a lifetime. I´m glad I was there to live it.

Yeah, I remember when E.T. suffered similarly but come Oscar time, unlike TITANIC, didn't clean up the awards. Even Richard Attenborough said E.T. deserved the kudos over his own Oscar winning film GHANDI.
  3. I didn't watch it at the time, but upon the glowing recommendation I may try and catch it sometime in the future.

BTW, Roman numerals please! wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I didn't watch it at the time, but upon the glowing recommendation I may try and catch it sometime in the future.

Done!
  4. Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I didn't watch it at the time, but upon the glowing recommendation I may try and catch it sometime in the future.

Done!

Thanks, Tim! punk
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I watched Titanic when it first came out and appreciated it for what it was including the music. Having said that, I've never looked back or given it a second thought again.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Bolt

A very charming if all too Disneyesque film. When it's funny, it's very funny... when it's Disney, it's unfortunately very Disney.

But I liked it - a lot! Granted, I'm a sucker for animated films with talking animals in them, especially ones with a character as cute as Bolt. Love the score too, Powell knows how to add something special to any film.

Shame about the Disneyness of it....
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Disney was an animal murdering git. It was one of his "nature" films that made everyone think Lemmings threw themselves to death off cliffs!

I demand that his head be defrosted immediately.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I hate Disney, but they clearly have some talented people working for them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    Bregje wrote

I consider Titanic a masterpiece (from one of the most brilliant directors ever) since I watched it for the first time.

Wait, wait....lost ma bucket! shocked
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Kung Fu Panda

Eh...I fail to see what's special about it? There wasn't anything in it that was particularly funny either. Some of the locations (especially the nighttime scene by the peach tree) looked incredible, and the fighting was impressive, but other than that it felt a bit...simple.

I guess talking animals aren't my thing...even when they're kicking the crap out of each other. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    Kung Fu Panda

Eh...I fail to see what's special about it? There wasn't anything in it that was particularly funny either. Some of the locations (especially the nighttime scene by the peach tree) looked incredible, and the fighting was impressive, but other than that it felt a bit...simple. sad

Yes, it was indeed simple but well told. And I'll tell you this, I'm no fan of Jack Black but the "Skadoosh" to end the Po/Lung fight was priceless! I love every aspect of this film.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2009
    RV - Bolt

A really cute film with a very good score - but the hamster was annoying!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anthony wrote
    Kung Fu Panda

Eh...I fail to see what's special about it? There wasn't anything in it that was particularly funny either. Some of the locations (especially the nighttime scene by the peach tree) looked incredible, and the fighting was impressive, but other than that it felt a bit...simple.

I guess talking animals aren't my thing...even when they're kicking the crap out of each other. sad

FAIL.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    biggrin
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Come on, I wanted to enjoy it. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Christodoulides wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Bregje wrote

Wait, wait....lost ma bucket! shocked

You could have tried to explain yourself instead of looking for buckets... uhm
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Titanic a masterpiece? I Don't think i need to explain why that sentence fails. biggrin kiss tongue wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm not sure it's a masterpiece, but it's a very well made film. As with most Cameron films.