• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2009
    The Jesus Christ moment ruined it for me. I cringed into a position that even a foetus wouldn't try thinking of. For me that was just ridiculous. It kept on dragging since that moment too.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    a.....a Jesus Christ moment!?? shocked spin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    What's so bad about Jesus Christ? I celebrate most of the pivotal events of his life by eating chocolate. If only he'd got married there'd have been another large chocolate-based festival to enjoy. Actually, it's very annoying he didn't get married. Yes, Bregt - I agree - what a dreadful man.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    You all hang out with Steven too much.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Indeed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2009 edited
    Bregt wrote
    The Jesus Christ moment ruined it for me. I cringed into a position that even a foetus wouldn't try thinking of. For me that was just ridiculous. It kept on dragging since that moment too.

The Jesus moment was incredibly cringing. It was a decent enough film, but far too biased towards Christianity especially when you consider people from all kinds of faiths and non-believers were effected by the events of that day. So, realistic up until the point Jebus showed up.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm rapidly going off watching it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Yes, it was a realistic film up until that point. That took away the drama. Really, when I was in the cinema, there was a general sound of laughter at that moment.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    What's wrong with the scene? Ok, it's cheesy but aren't there allowed to exist people with such amounts of faith? I sure know some examples in real life, although i don't feel the same and i don't think the scene was necessary, still they're many people who in their toughest times turn to God or Christ in great intensities. Plus, in the condition he was in and for the amount of time, it'd not be too odd to assume he started having illusions.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Very true D.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Steven wrote
    ... especially when you consider people from all kinds of faiths and non-believers were effected by the events of that day.

So, even though the film focused primarily on two people - not necessarily "people from all kinds of faiths" - you believe these two individuals should have been shown to be anything but Christian? Why? And, remember, this is a true story. What if the two real-life individuals are Christians? Should they be portrayed as otherwise, just because it is an already-well-known fact that all kinds of people were affected?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Sure, that's not my problem really, I respect the ideas. But it was just so obscene in this movie, almost creating the thought that the god from the terrorists faith isn't forgiven (or what term is used for these kind of odd revelations). Bah! Religion in movies. It can never be subtle. Cringe man. Cringe!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Demetris, Wiliam, nobody's saying that people with 'such amounts of faith' aren't allowed to be represented in a film like this. What I dislike about it is the unsubtle blatancy of it! It's clearly biased towards Christianity and neglects to represent other faiths and even those who aren't religious (which is a surprisingly larger number than films like this would lead you to believe).

You could argue that it simply reflects the faith of the characters, and that it was merely an emotional device for us to connect with what many of those firefighters must have gone through and were feeling at the time, in which sense I agree that some sort of representation of Christianity was needed. But to literally show the image of Jesus was far too blatant and horribly unsubtle! Can you imagine the uproar from the majority of American audiences if they had chosen to represent a different religion? Say, an image of Krishna? How would that change your opinion of this film, William? Thing is, it conveniently agrees with your faith.

That's what I don't like about it; it's partly a propaganda piece.
    A decently made film, sure, but... biased.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Christodoulides wrote
    What's wrong with the scene? Ok, it's cheesy but aren't there allowed to exist people with such amounts of faith? I sure know some examples in real life, although i don't feel the same and i don't think the scene was necessary, still they're many people who in their toughest times turn to God or Christ in great intensities. Plus, in the condition he was in and for the amount of time, it'd not be too odd to assume he started having illusions.

I agree. Honestly, if the characters had been of a different religion or belief system, I wouldn't have minded seeing other visions of theirs that would pertain to their faith or lack-thereof. But I see nothing wrong with the fact that these two happened to be shown as Christians.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Oliver Stone
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Steven! Thanks! That's more like what I wanted to say.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    William wrote
    But I see nothing wrong with the fact that these two happened to be shown as Christians.

Neither does anyone here, William. It was the way it was shown we have a problem with.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Exactly.

Jesus wasn't even white or had long hair!

( wink )
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Steven wrote
    Demetris, Wiliam, nobody's saying that people with 'such amounts of faith' aren't allowed to be represented in a film like this. What I dislike about it is the unsubtle blatancy of it! It's clearly biased towards Christianity and neglects to represent other faiths and even those who aren't religious (which is a surprisingly larger number than films like this would lead you to believe).

You could argue that it simply reflects the faith of the characters, and that it was merely an emotional device for us to connect with what many of those firefighters must have gone through and were feeling at the time, in which sense I agree that some sort of representation of Christianity was needed. But to literally show the image of Jesus was far too blatant and horribly unsubtle! Can you imagine the uproar from the majority of American audiences if they had chosen to represent a different religion? Say, an image of Krishna? How would that change your opinion of this film, William? Thing is, it conveniently agrees with your faith.

That's what I don't like about it; it's partly a propaganda piece.
    A decently made film, sure, but... biased.

Steven, I see what you're saying, and I'll admit: yeah, the image of Christ holding out a water bottle was a bit cheesy. But then again, Steven, right after having had the vision, Will spoke of it as if it was hilarious, a stupid joke, rather than an awe-inspiring, reverent encounter. So in my opinion, it doesn't really try to make Christ out to be all Christians think He is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Bregt wrote
    Exactly.

( wink )

That is true. And note that they didn't even show His face in the movie... It's just the stereotypical image of Christ. Nothing near what He likely actually looked like.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I'd not mind if they were of other beliefs. They are numerous examples of other films portraying strong sacred moments of people from other beliefs and i don't mind. What bothers you is the impression you got that this is a Good white Christian Jesus loving Americans vs the infidels, i think, but I am sure this is not what someone like Oliver Stone would have wanted to pass along.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    William wrote
    Bregt wrote
    Exactly.

( wink )

That is true. And note that they didn't even show His face in the movie... It's just the stereotypical image of Christ. Nothing near what He likely actually looked like.

Well, all speculations, aren't they? Former and later.
  1. Could only be cheeseir if Jesus said:

"Hey, how about a nice refreshing bottle of Zephyrhills water? Bottled from the underground Florida springs," cut to him having the label face the camera.

(or, alternatively, "Jesus chirst this is great water!!!")
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    William wrote
    Bregt wrote
    Exactly.

( wink )

Good answer, D! I think it's funny how the more fundamental religious people throw their weight behind scientific reasoning when it reconstructs the face of their messiah and deplores it when it disproves so many of their beliefs. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    William wrote
    Bregt wrote
    Exactly.

( wink )

Good answer, D! I think it's funny how the more fundamental religious people throw their weight behind scientific reasoning when it reconstructs the face of their messiah and deplores it when it disproves so many of their beliefs. dizzy

I am not sure if you're in full irony mode here and i don't understand if your point is general and has nothing to do with me or the contrary, but knowing you, i am inclined to think you actually are.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I was saying you made a good point. The next part was a serious point that had nothing to do with you, since I know you're not a fundamental Christian! In other words, you got the wrong end of the stick. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, you would if you were me and i had you on the opposite side wink I Just needed to realize you weren't on the opposite side actually wink Your point is true. Those oooh maii gaawwd Jebus Christttt save us from the Us-heeiting terrrrrstsssssss are indeed a very problematic part of population, and these are just a small percentage of the international radical / fundamental / extreme (Whatever one might call them) Christians. Having faith is one thing but being over-the-top religious is very dangerous.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2009
    Nautilus wrote
    G.I Joe

G.I Joe is a popcorn movie without complications. Sommers put a lot of energy , moving the camera all the time without being confusing, with some quick flashbacks in the middle of the action sequences (a great narrative move). G.I joe was some of the faster 2 hours of my life.

I agree. Sommers does not have the style nor the personality of Michael Bay, but he knows how to spend a few millions to make a good entertainment.

Nautilus wrote
    About the music? Silvestri Shines. Silvestri rocks. I liked the score when I head it , and now with the images I love it even more. It reminds me the times of Ricochet o Predator 2 but with electronics and electric guitars.

I agree again, but the music is forgotten once the end credits have finished.

Nautilus wrote
    PS: The Paris chase is hilarious, terrific.

You defined it perfectly. I´d add spectacular.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Tonight's viewing went from the sublime to the ridiculous.

The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas

It was never going to capture the brilliance of the book, and it didn't, but I can't imagine there are many people who wouldn't be moved by it. The finale is very powerful and underscored by one of James Horner's very strongest moments as a film composer.

Soldier

I have enjoyed Joel McNeely's score for many years without having a clue what the film's about. Now I've seen it, I still don't really know what it's about. All seems strangely pointless.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote

The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas

It was never going to capture the brilliance of the book, and it didn't, but I can't imagine there are many people who wouldn't be moved by it. The finale is very powerful and underscored by one of James Horner's very strongest moments as a film composer.

And what a theme it has! Okay, it's a riff on Swing Kids... but what a riff.