• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2009
    Martijn wrote
    Star Trek

You know what?
    I really enjoyed this!

Me too! All the rubbish that dogged the previous four films (everything is implausible - you DON'T NEED to waste so much time making them speak gobbledigook to try to justify it!) absent. There are huge plot holes and it relies heavily on unlikely coincidences (a trademark of the director) but I thought it was great. Looking forward to seeing it on Blu-Ray.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ......and..........and............and......Giacchino Rocked. Let's not forget wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    especially 2, 3 and 6 are amazing, while 4 is the delightful anti Trek movie (but works well enough on itself

As of the newer generation, only rent First Contact, because it is goddamn amazing and above all well acted.

Spock on, lad, spock on!
    punk
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    ......and..........and............and......Giacchino Rocked. Let's not forget wink

Not NEARLY as much as Spock or Kirk.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2009 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Not NEARLY as much as Spock or Kirk.

applause

Priceless, utterly priceless!!! biggrin

Seen these plenty of times and it still never gets boring wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Christodoulides wrote

It passed the test, rather than acing it, as far as I was concerned.
    Like Martijn, I never wanted to hear the main theme again once the credits rolled.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

It passed the test, rather than acing it, as far as I was concerned.
    Like Martijn, I never wanted to hear the main theme again once the credits rolled.

Agree. But i am wondering how many other composers working today (and of his age / generation especially) can even pass that test?
  2. It's not that hard a test. Write a standard action/adventure score with three to four themes, a bit of a Prokofiev-meets-Holst energy in the action, and the odd bit of occasional development beyond melody-in-one-hand-rhythm-in-the-other style writing. Throw in a bit of emotional LOST material... I overstate the case, but when I listen to this album, and it's not a long one, I rarely make it past track 5.

I hear this claim from time to time that "composer X is more interesting than 99% of what's out there", and I've never been persuaded that it made a score that was on balance, unsatisfying for me, worth listening to. You can't just like something because Harry Gregson Williams would have done it worse. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2009 edited
    No, that wasn't my argument. It's a pretty good score, albeit repetitive i agree. But like every music in any era, you HAVE to take into account the cultural environment it was born in, as well as the musical and non-musical worldwide data each work is being created in. You cannot isolate any musical work out of these factors nor from what other colleagues of his are doing at the moment 'cause what remains is pretty dry 90% of the times. Your description is pretty cold and somewhat cynical, but don't forget that that's the same way many classical music lovers / or even academics describe early film music and even John Williams / Jerry Goldsmith / -esque film music to date, as Wagner / Prokofiev rip-offs and / or poor continuation.
  3. I agree, but it's not really my case that the music isn't worthy of being listened to. That was just a sidepoint about whether it did what it had to do. (Which is a quite a different thing from being inspiring about it.)

The main consideration that matters more than anything else with a film score is what the filmmakers wanted. I imagine they got what they wanted. Film music being music under commission, there's no point dragging a composer over the coals for delivering to the market. And I'm not dragging him over the coals, but I'm not going to say I'm inspired at the same time. I don't really enjoy listening to it on any occasion I've tried, and I think it got pretty repetitive by the end of the (admittedly enjoyable but wretchedly-written) film, such that it lost its effectiveness for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2009
    Agnes of God

Having enjoyed the music for so many years, I was a bit nervous about watching the film (occasionally a poor film has forever spoiled my enjoyment of good music, through association) but it's OK. Not great, and very silly at the end, but quite engaging (Jane Fonda investigates the death of a new-born baby in a convent). The music is great; the main theme in particular. Absolutely knockout stunning, in fact.
  4. I remember coming away from the film wondering at times where the music had been. (Except for the wonderful cue at the end.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I thought it was edited a bit strangely at times (a couple of cues seemed to have a few seconds chopped off the beginning and end), but thought most of the album was there.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2009 edited
    I've never seen the film but the score is absolutely incredible....even 'mind blowing' as some here like to describe.

I've watched nothing today. I recorded Flash Forward which I'll watch tomorrow evening.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. Timmer wroteI recorded Flash Forward which I'll watch tomorrow evening.

This picked up this week after the last couple of weeks.

What I really enjoyed last night was Fringe. Great episode...but the show can't really keep secrets going more than 2-3 weeks!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    I've never seen the film but the score is absolutely incredible....even 'mind blowing' as some here like to describe.

Agree. Haven't seen the film either, nor do i plan to, but the score is mindbogglingly beautiful to say the least.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2009 edited
    I watched Watchmen for the second time.

Man, this is a clever, clever story, and I was pleasantly surprised it lost none of its impact on the second viewing. It's really very well translated by its screenwriters and director.

But GOD, I HATE the music, especially, especially the source music used.

It's terrible. Terrible.
    It's as in-your-face as a cream pie in an old Laurel & Hardy skit. It's like the music director wanted to look up "irony" or "subtext" in the dictionary, but through overindulgence of illicit substances causing him to wear his reading glasses on his arse rather than his nose, ended up at "steam shovel", "sledge hammer" and "loony toons cartoon".

I could (grudgingly) forgive Dylan's The Times They Are A-Changing for the -incidentally extremely creative!- opening titles, but the (very seventies!!!) The Sound Of Silence at The Comedian's funeral? Come ON!
    Wagner's Walkürenritt during Jon's Vietnam massacre? Oh! hahaha! I get it! It's , like, a reference to, like, that Coppola Vietnam film thing? Yeah? That's like so clever, dude! NOT.
    Cohen's Hallelujah when Night Owl and Silk Spectre finally are able to get it on? Halelujah? HALLELUJAH? How OLD are you? TWELVE???
    And then Mozart's fucking Requiem during Ozymandias' final realization??? Because it's, like, heavy and stuff?
    shocked shocked shocked FOR FUCK'S SAKE!!!!! shocked shocked shocked

Honestly, it didn't spoil the film for me, but it went beyond curled toes in embarassment right into annoyance.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    But you did liked Philip Glass' piece from Koyaanisqatsi?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    See, I was kinda hoping people here would be tactful enough not to bring it up.

If that's the organ piece playing during Jon's exile to Mars, I actually thought that that was one of the best usages of music in the film.

OK.
    Let the flaming begin.
    slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    biggrin kiss
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote
    But you did liked Philip Glass' piece from Koyaanisqatsi?

Bregt, do you know which piece it is from Koyaanisqatsi?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It's an amalgam mix of the two tracks Pruit Igoe and Prophecies, apparently.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    See, I was kinda hoping people here would be tactful enough not to bring it up.

If that's the organ piece playing during Jon's exile to Mars, I actually thought that that was one of the best usages of music in the film.

OK.
    Let the flaming begin.
    slant

The fact that you liked the movie is what worries me the most! As for the PHILIP GLASS piece, my friend, you have to admit it's both proper music AND film music, with dramatic and narrative devices at top-form. Pure quality and it's the only piece of music the surprisingly amateuristic work they've done for this movie in all levels, actually got right.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    I watched Watchmen for the second time.

Man, this is a clever, clever story, and I was pleasantly surprised it lost none of its impact on the second viewing. It's really very well translated by its screenwriters and director.

But GOD, I HATE the music, especially, especially the source music used.

It's terrible. Terrible.
    It's as in-your-face as a cream pie in an old Laurel & Hardy skit. It's like the music director wanted to look up "irony" or "subtext" in the dictionary, but through overindulgence of illicit substances causing him to wear his reading glasses on his arse rather than his nose, ended up at "steam shovel", "sledge hammer" and "loony toons cartoon".

I could (grudgingly) forgive Dylan's The Times They Are A-Changing for the -incidentally extremely creative!- opening titles, but the (very seventies!!!) The Sound Of Silence at The Comedian's funeral? Come ON!
    Wagner's Walkürenritt during Jon's Vietnam massacre? Oh! hahaha! I get it! It's , like, a reference to, like, that Coppola Vietnam film thing? Yeah? That's like so clever, dude! NOT.
    Cohen's Hallelujah when Night Owl and Silk Spectre finally are able to get it on? Halelujah? HALLELUJAH? How OLD are you? TWELVE???
    And then Mozart's fucking Requiem during Ozymandias' final realization??? Because it's, like, heavy and stuff?
    shocked shocked shocked FOR FUCK'S SAKE!!!!! shocked shocked shocked

Honestly, it didn't spoil the film for me, but it went beyond curled toes in embarassment right into annoyance.

I think I totally agree with you but I'd have to see the film again ( I intend to buy it ).

I posted here when I first saw it and said I loved it but was attacked for loving it with my "good" taste in films being called into question....but twas merely like being wafted by the wing of a crippled butterfly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Let me guess, that silly Greek again?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yeeeeap! rolleyes

Check his post from 3 minutes ago wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    As for the PHILIP GLASS piece, my friend, you have to admit it's both proper music AND film music

In the context of the rest of the source cues, it was an outstanding one.
    Like a well-lit, shiny turd of proper structure stands out in a sea of diarhea.

, with dramatic and narrative devices at top-form.

Indeed, we hear voices moaning and creaking which intimately and subtly convey creaking and moaning sentiments.
    There's a lot of arpeggios as well.

Pure quality and it's the only piece of music the surprisingly amateuristic work they've done for this movie in all levels, actually got right.

As far as music is concerned, yes, they did.
    For the rest messrs Bates and whoever the prick was who some lobotomized mental dwarf put in charge of source music are cordially invited to join Jon on Mars.

If there's one gripe I have is that this film deserved a LOT better soundtrack.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    And of that Martijn, I unreservedly agree 100%
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I just checked and the bit I meant is actually the track Prophecies.
    I'm not sure where Pruit Igoe goes in the film, but I don't care very much for that bit.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thanks beer