• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2009 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote
    I watched Watchmen for the second time.

Man, this is a clever, clever story, and I was pleasantly surprised it lost none of its impact on the second viewing. It's really very well translated by its screenwriters and director.

But GOD, I HATE the music, especially, especially the source music used.

It's terrible. Terrible.
    It's as in-your-face as a cream pie in an old Laurel & Hardy skit. It's like the music director wanted to look up "irony" or "subtext" in the dictionary, but through overindulgence of illicit substances causing him to wear his reading glasses on his arse rather than his nose, ended up at "steam shovel", "sledge hammer" and "loony toons cartoon".

I could (grudgingly) forgive Dylan's The Times They Are A-Changing for the -incidentally extremely creative!- opening titles, but the (very seventies!!!) The Sound Of Silence at The Comedian's funeral? Come ON!
    Wagner's Walkürenritt during Jon's Vietnam massacre? Oh! hahaha! I get it! It's , like, a reference to, like, that Coppola Vietnam film thing? Yeah? That's like so clever, dude! NOT.
    Cohen's Hallelujah when Night Owl and Silk Spectre finally are able to get it on? Halelujah? HALLELUJAH? How OLD are you? TWELVE???
    And then Mozart's fucking Requiem during Ozymandias' final realization??? Because it's, like, heavy and stuff?
    shocked shocked shocked FOR FUCK'S SAKE!!!!! shocked shocked shocked

Honestly, it didn't spoil the film for me, but it went beyond curled toes in embarassment right into annoyance.

I think I totally agree with you but I'd have to see the film again ( I intend to buy it ).

I posted here when I first saw it and said I loved it but was attacked for loving it with my "good" taste in films being called into question....but twas merely like being wafted by the wing of a crippled butterfly.

Nobody attacked you or questioned your good taste in films. It's just that i am wondering what did you like exactly, 'cause it's terribly slow and the characters have no real motives behind their actions. Plus, i'd really love to hear how Martijn though THE FOUNTAIN was hideous and on the other hand, he did like that pseudo-philosophical and irrelevant Mars crap talk in the middle of the movie which came out of nowhere.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2009
    The only comparison between the execreable new age nonsense of The Fountain and the extremely clever social commentary -cum- revolutionary take on the age of the masked hero of Watchmen was that at some point a bald bloke takes the lotus position.

That's it.

The only thing that was better in The Fountain was the music.

Any other comparison is completely pointless. Apples and pears in different dimensions.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote The only comparison between the execreable new age nonsense of The Fountain and the extremely clever social commentary -cum- revolutionary take on the age of the masked hero of Watchmen was that at some point a bald bloke takes the lotus position. That's it. The only thing that was better in The Fountain was the music. Any other comparison is completely pointless. Apples and pears in different dimensions.

How is it irrelevant? Pompous ambience, long and slow scenes, philosophical mambo jumbo about who we are in this world, the meaning of life and our purpose in it, religious and religious like symbols and symbolisms (the whole trippy glass stucture thing in Watchmen), sci-fi setting in extra-terrestrial environment or similar territories, etc etc.

Perhaps you were positively biased in the 2nd movie in which everything was under the super hero veil while you thought the first one which was supposedly real-life and realistic went over the top with this stuff?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    That's the thing: the film is NOT under the super hero veil.
    Quite the contrary: this is definitely not Marvel or DC stuff.
    This is about people, and that was the novelty of the graphic novel when it first came out: it explored the motivations and drives of people who would choose (or in Jon's case are forced into) a vigilante role, coming nothing short of the conclusion that there is somehing seriously wrong. With all of them.
    And with all of us.

This is NOT a "Hulk smash - happy end" kinda film by any means!

Sadly, and as I already feared and expressed before, the novel was so revolutionary that it is now hurt by the fact that
    every single superhero franchise and spin-off has continued in its wake by going the way of introspective and social-political analysis (most notably the Batman franchise, but Marvel has quickly followeed suit with its "Ultimate" line, upo which most of the current Marvel films are now based).
    So for a first-time visitor, there's not as much shine as there should be (unless you happen to be knowledgeable about the history of writing for comics, vigilante heroes and superheroes).

As for the particular scene you reference, I'm not sure how that's unclear?
    From the very first start and the exposition of Jon's past and origins as Doctor Manhattan, it is clear that he increasingly sees man (and life) as something mechanical, driven by chemical processes. Like he takes his father's watch apart, so he takes man apart, and in fact the Universe.
    He is -as is alluded to in the film- in fact the closest thing to what we would define as a God!
    ...but he still needs to refer to his own frame of reference: even the Crystal Palace on Mars is just an elaborate jumble of... watch parts.

It's really not all that complicated or mystifying.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Have you read the novel before? Because i haven't and i have the feeling you have, you might be completing the whole story with elements from the novel which were absent in the film. The film lacked a lot, if it took for granted that we all knew the novel from before watching the film, especially. There was no real motivation, just a parade of freaks, a rich guy who inherited the shitload from his father and now plays with old forgotten toys in the basement, one chick who was bored and decided to launch off to wilder parties a la her Mother's background, an electric alien who preferred playing with technological gadgets and micro-robotic experiments with energy blah blah and was fighting with his human side, but eventually decided to put clones screw his hot wife instead while he was playing with some geeky stuff again. a junkie now dead who used to love beating people up and rape juicy babes, a masked freak who would go bananas if his mask ever got off his face, etc etc. They're not presented in a wholly justified and mature way as - say, Dark Knight and overall Nolan's Batman for instance.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    The novel is pretty much unfilmable, but I have to say that they did the best effort they possibly could without having it catering only to Alan Moore fans.

I think the characters' motivations are at the very least clear enough...but to be honest: as far as the new Batman films are concerned, apart from the classic background trauma, Nolan's Batman offers NOTHING in the sense of motivation (with the possible exception of Two-Face).
    There are plenty of novels though where both Bats AND all his adversaries are dissected to the bone (to better or worse effect), so Watchmen's influence was definitely felt! And there too, to my mind, the characters' motivations were clear enough (with the noted exception of the Joker, where the whole point was that he had no motivation...but that's another story altogether).

That said, the real motive of the Watchmen's story is dehumanisation on every conceivable level (a bit of a staple for Moore, whose other credits contain V For Vendetta for example). And while the character's background and motivations are explored far more intimately in the novel (everything is in fact touched upon in the film, but don't blink or you may miss it), that's really not the crux of the story.
    Hence -I guess- you mising that particular emphasis.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I might be missing something, indeed. What would you say it's the crux of the story?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Didn't I just say that? confused

I'd say it's dehumanisation. Becoming alienated from everything that we connect to living happily and free, following moral and ethical mandates that make sense and are acceptable.

From the small (Rorschach being defined by a bunch of ink blots, even by a psychiatrist) to the mediocre (Night Owl and Silk Spectre are ONLY able to function when they wear their costumes) to the to the huge (at the end of the story, the "smartest man on the planet" destroys MILLIONS of lives) to the grotesque (a superhuman who can no longer actually relate to man).

I think it's an extremely and exquisitely dark story, and very much in line with the writer's political views as well as the feel of the time (the mid-eighties, which in many ways was a time for nihilism and fear for global annihilation if ever there was one!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    If seen through the experience of the novel maybe. 'Cause what i've seen is a work by someone who hasn't actually found the way to pass all this to the audience too, many (or most in fact) of them not already familiar with the novel. Instead of letting us know who the characters really are and what their motives are too, he consumes his (terribly long) on screen running time on the standardized deep-sounding voice overs of no real substance, pseudo-philosophical chit-chat and pathetic attempts to make humor in a confused movie that wants so hard to be serious but can't quite decide where it stands and what's that which it wants to say. As for the subject of dehumanization it's been done so many times in the past, and way better, imo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    <shrug>

All I can say is that I saw this film with many friends -male and female alike- only one of whom was aware of the novel, and they all came away mightily impressed, pretty much spot-on on the film's messages and goals (which made for interesting discussions afterwards).

And while I respect your opinion and your feelings (Hey, if it feels to long, it feels too long. Nothing much to say to contradict that), your other points do not make too much sense to me as -to my mind (and that of indeed almost all of the other people I spoke to who'd seen this film)- it's all perfectly clear and understandable (in wry contrast to a film like The Fountain where I've spoken to many people and gotten as many different and diversified responses on what the film was all about), with the clear overall message that this was something fresh, different and clever.

So I'm perfectly happy for you to dislike the film.
    Most everyone else, I'm very glad and uplifted to note, didn't.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    But of course smile Maybe i was extra put-off by the horrendous music too, i don't know. It was a very confusing experience for me, and felt like a waste of time. Music-wise only, I cannot understand how that musical attitude passes along these days in many films, whilst it should be clearly be kicked off and rendered as unacceptable noise-fest of no value at once. It's really ironic that his most interesting score to date is one that the good parts aren't really his.

As for its originality, it felt like an amateur's V for vendetta to me at places wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    MILK!

I like milk a lot. But after visiting a bar in Barcelona called Milk (which served excellent cava cocktails), I saw the movie Milk yesterday. It's about the first openly gay politician voted for a governmental function, Harvey Milk. Takes place in San Francisco and we follow the course of his battle, recruition and movement against discrimination for gay people. He campaigned succesfully against Proposition Nr 6 for San Francisco, which meant that gay teachers would be fired, because they were ... gay. This proposal was moved forward by Christians, and pushed through successfully in other states.

He also was against dog poop.

Terrible to see that the religious influence is still so strong today, after over 30 years since he was able to win against this Proposition Nr 6, especially in the USA. It's so unbelievable to see religious people always claiming everyone's equal, but then they are weaving with giant posters claiming gay's and lesbian's are sinners and whatnot.

It reminds me of a very strong scene in Six Feet Under, in which a gay person was muredered for being gay. On his funeral there were religious activists holding these boards with these type of slogans. David Fisher tris to stop them, and can't hold his anger anymore. He runs towards one of them and beats him. So so sad.

As for the movie, it all went very smoothly. Well edited and very well told. While the last scenes of him were a bit too dramatic, it was one of the more interesting biopics. Penn was great! He really nailed that character (you decide whether this is a pun intended). What I also really liked,but didn't found on cd, was the score. Especially the 'la la la' choir that was transported from the song at the beginning (I think) was really cool. Not very thematic, but also not too dramatic when you'd think it would have been.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ^ I think it's that kind of score that only works in the film it was created for. Some might argue that this is the definition of a good film score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Who wrote it? From memory I seem to remember Elfman?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Yup. He wrote the other 'Hollywood' Gus Van Sant movies too. I think?
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    <shrug>

All I can say is that I saw this film with many friends -male and female alike- only one of whom was aware of the novel, and they all came away mightily impressed, pretty much spot-on on the film's messages and goals (which made for interesting discussions afterwards).

And while I respect your opinion and your feelings (Hey, if it feels to long, it feels too long. Nothing much to say to contradict that), your other points do not make too much sense to me as -to my mind (and that of indeed almost all of the other people I spoke to who'd seen this film)- it's all perfectly clear and understandable (in wry contrast to a film like The Fountain where I've spoken to many people and gotten as many different and diversified responses on what the film was all about), with the clear overall message that this was something fresh, different and clever.

So I'm perfectly happy for you to dislike the film.
    Most everyone else, I'm very glad and uplifted to note, didn't.

I can add nothing, you said everything I would have said and a lot LOT more besides.

I'm reall looking forward to watching the film again.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    ^ I think it's that kind of score that only works in the film it was created for. Some might argue that this is the definition of a good film score.

It IS the definition of a good film score. If it works away from the film that's a bonus for us.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

It IS the definition of a good film score. If it works away from the film that's a bonus for us.

Well it certainly was in the beginning. But with constantly changing musical idioms and the vast popularity it's getting, these definitions can also be viewed a bit differently these days. Surely a good score is that which primarily aids and serves the medium for which it was written, but a good composer these days has the huge creative canvas and ways to also inject it with such musicality that it can have a greater chance to stand alone as listening experience out of the movie, on CD. The days in which directors used film music with insecurity and constraint, the days in which film music was either a romantic era continuation and background listen or simply the replacement of the pianist of the silent movies era, has long passed.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    No shit Kojak.
  1. biggrin

Is Sherlock on holiday?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Never! He's out on the foggy streets of London right now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2009 edited
    G.I. Joe The Rise Of The Cobra (2009)

Fantastic popcorn movie !
    Just sit back and enjoy the ride ... smile

District 9 (2009)

When I started watching this I thought to myself , what the hell is this ?!
    But after a good 20 minutes the movie takes off and you're in for a highly entertaining film
    with dynamic characters and rich in both humor and action .
    This one was a very nice surprise for me so give it a chance if you haven't seen it yet .

Doghouse (2009)

A Shaun of the Dead type of film - not as good off course , but it was entertaining and
    funny in parts . I actually didn't give a toss about the main characters , they were a bunch of
    unlikeable guys and I was totally on the female zombie side . Maybe that sexy axe wielding
    zombie chick in the wedding dress had something to do with that ... biggrin
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2009
    Across the Universe

How she managed to get funding for this I'll never know (perhaps she pitched it as a romantic musical based around songs of The Beatles and failed to mention quite how she was planning on doing it), but Julie Taymor's visual style is arresting as ever. Which is good, because it's basically got little more dramatic value than Mamma Mia or something.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The clips I saw really put me off. I doubt I'll see it!?
  2. Visually, that film is remarkable. It's utter tosh, of course, but tosh worth watching. The film should have been up for the Oscar for special effects (which nearly always goes to some fantasy/scifi project).
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'll catch it on TV one day.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    World Series. Inning 4 Philadelphia 1 New York 0
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Definitely not my kind of film, the Beatles thingy. I giggled when Goldenthal was attached to it, i assume he was threatened by wife violence if he dared say no!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2009 edited
    You saying Julie wears the trousers? wink