• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2009
    Of course it's a well-made film. But well-made films are far away from masterpieces.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's a very sticky word 'masterpiece'. There are very few things I "know" to be masterpieces.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    BOLT

Now this is a fantastic film! Disney Animations have outdone themselves, and it's better than some of the stuff the Pixar crew have done. Some genuine laughs as well. "Look, a guard!" - "I'll snap his neck" says the tiny hamster. And the Italian pigeons were awesome! biggrin Even the ending seemed kind of "dark" for a Disney movie which was cool.

Powell's score is incredibly good and easily the best he's produced this year. Seeing the movie and hearing the score in full really does make you notice how trashy the CD and Dan Lerner's editing is. I want that promo or even better, a complete, more than ever now. It wouldn't be hard to place this as the finest Powell score since Cody Banks. He's written better "musically" since, but in terms of his own style this is spot on. Bravo! The old-school Powell is still in there! punk

4 out of 5!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I too think that BOLT is the best animated score POWELL has produced this year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2009 edited
    Oh now we have RV Part 2? I failed to keep track of the previous thread... dizzy

Steven wrote
    Bolt

A very charming if all too Disneyesque film. When it's funny, it's very funny... when it's Disney, it's unfortunately very Disney.

But I liked it - a lot! Granted, I'm a sucker for animated films with talking animals in them, especially ones with a character as cute as Bolt. Love the score too, Powell knows how to add something special to any film.

Shame about the Disneyness of it....

It has Disneyness a lot, really? That's GREAT! punk I was afraid if John Lasseter Pixarized it too much and Walt Disney Animation Studios lost their charm. I love most of Pixar films and their talent, don't get me wrong, but I want Pixar to be Pixar, and Disney to be Disney.

And I LOVE Disney, not because of their big success in business or their marketing strategy. It's because of the people working under its name, and their works.

(But I still want to see Chris Sanders' original American Dog, which pixar guys rejected because of its "quirkiness"... slant )
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anthony wrote
    BOLT

Now this is a fantastic film! Disney Animations have outdone themselves, and it's better than some of the stuff the Pixar crew have done. Some genuine laughs as well. "Look, a guard!" - "I'll snap his neck" says the tiny hamster. And the Italian pigeons were awesome! biggrin Even the ending seemed kind of "dark" for a Disney movie which was cool.

Powell's score is incredibly good and easily the best he's produced this year. Seeing the movie and hearing the score in full really does make you notice how trashy the CD and Dan Lerner's editing is. I want that promo or even better, a complete, more than ever now. It wouldn't be hard to place this as the finest Powell score since Cody Banks. He's written better "musically" since, but in terms of his own style this is spot on. Bravo! The old-school Powell is still in there! punk

4 out of 5!

You like Bolt but NOT Kung Fu Panda? shocked dizzy I mean, don't get me wrong, I love Bolt... but Kung Fu Panda is a much better film! For starters it doesn't have that Disney Schmaltz that Bolt unfortunately suffers from.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    My main problem was that Kung Fu Panda was not funny.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    shocked

Fair enough.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm debating today between The Reader and Revolutionary Road.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Hmm... Kate Winslet or Kate Winslet...?

I'd say both! cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2009 edited
    Steven wrote
    shocked

Fair enough.

Well, we all know Brits don't proper have humor so wink biggrin tongue
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2009
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote
    shocked

Fair enough.

Keep digging wave spin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. A recent definition of hell came to my ears: Italian efficiency, German humour and British cooking.

Re-arrange to find yourself in heaven.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote
    shocked

Fair enough.

Yeah, must have missed all those classic Greek sitcoms. Yeah.

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Disney was an animal murdering git. It was one of his "nature" films that made everyone think Lemmings threw themselves to death off cliffs!

I demand that his head be defrosted immediately.

Well, the responsible person in question here would be Roy Disney, Walt's brother who was heading the nature department. James Simon, who did principal photography, was the culprit.
    It's never been established Walt ever knew about this.

Bregje wrote
    Last week Titanic was on TV. I was in the mood to watch it again after many years, so I took out the DVD and saw the movie again on the surround set. I don't understand how some people can only look at it as a chick's flick, love story, whatever. It is just stunning. It is never a minute too long and it all looks just great. Don't you all agree? Excellent cast too. OK, the music sounds a bit dated, but the movie itself is still awesome in my opinion in many ways.

There are some films that, even though everyone says they're really good, surprisingly turn out to be really good!

Unfortunately, for me Titanic does not fit that category.
    Not that it was a bad flick, but I found it eminently forgettable on every level. I've seen it twice and I can't remember any scene that touched me or suprised me.
    And I honestly can't see where it's a masterpiece on any level (even with the not inconsideable talents of the wonderful Kate love ).

Anthony wrote
    Kung Fu Panda

Eh...I fail to see what's special about it? There wasn't anything in it that was particularly funny either. Some of the locations (especially the nighttime scene by the peach tree) looked incredible, and the fighting was impressive, but other than that it felt a bit...simple.

I guess talking animals aren't my thing...even when they're kicking the crap out of each other. sad

Agree with Anthony. slant
    I was moderately amused by some of the gags, but it was all rather "pie-in-the-face-ish". I thought the best joke in the film was the panda's father being a goose.
    All the slo-mo fighting really got annoying at one point.

It probably didn't help I'd just been watching Dumbo... smile

Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote
    shocked

Fair enough.

Yeah, must have missed all those classic Greek sitcoms. Yeah.

biggrin

Oh I dunno.
    I thought Ulysses poking out the eye of an innocent, sleeping and unsuspecting cyclops after stealing and eating its herd of sheep was pretty funny... wink

RV: Battlestar Galactica Season 3
    Well, there's a series going down the drain pretty damn fast. slant
    After a glorious first two seasons that that just oozed with darkness, moral ambiguity and tension (yet alternated with some of the best -mainly aerial- action sequences
    in sci-fi today), the third season utterly seems to lose its footing.

Starting off promisingly with an "enemy occupation & resistance" storyline that sets up some interesting moral situations, the focus unfortunately shifts to dreadful soap opera relationship developments that are very predictable and not very interesting to begin with, but develop in utterly unbelievable directions...and just go on and on and on and on...

But the really annoying thing is that among a GREAT (in the sense of interminable) babble about Special Destinies, every episode seems to contain three or more "prohecies" from "seers", mystics or piests, who conveniently help the plot along. Nobody takes decisions any more, they're all "guided", which -I guess- covers up a lot of plot holes and helps to explain a lot of actions reasonably-thinking people would normally NOT do.
    Lazy, lazy, lazy...

The low point comes at the trial of traitor Gaius Baltar -which should have been a major plot point but is now rushed through throughout part of two episodes- where a sheer emotional and logically very flawed appeal apparently is enough to sideswipe about three tons of evidence.
    And the viewer is supposed to swallow all that as admiral Adama gravely intones "the defebce made its case. The prosecution didn't".
    rolleyes

I know this isn't Law & Order, nor does it need to be, but I would have appreciated some more intelligent writing. This just felt stupid and condescending towards the viewer's intelligence.

The follow-up TV movie Razor is a lot better, even though it's still plagued by the "prophecy plot syndrome". But there are some killer action sequences, and some proper insight in characters' motivations.
    Annnnnd as an added bonus, we get to see "classic" Cylons in action! christmas_biggrin cool
    BY YOUR COMAND! punk
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    GREEKS actually invented humour, among other things wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Humans also evolved from Africa. cheesy
  2. Martijn wrote
    Bregje wrote
    Last week Titanic was on TV. I was in the mood to watch it again after many years, so I took out the DVD and saw the movie again on the surround set. I don't understand how some people can only look at it as a chick's flick, love story, whatever. It is just stunning. It is never a minute too long and it all looks just great. Don't you all agree? Excellent cast too. OK, the music sounds a bit dated, but the movie itself is still awesome in my opinion in many ways.

There are some films that, even though everyone says they're really good, surprisingly turn out to be really good!

Unfortunately, for me Titanic does not fit that category.
    Not that it was a bad flick, but I found it eminently forgettable on every level. I've seen it twice and I can't remember any scene that touched me or suprised me.
    And I honestly can't see where it's a masterpiece on any level (even with the not inconsideable talents of the wonderful Kate love ).

I just saw it yesterday again for the I don't know 10th time, and it still amazes and touches me as it did the first time in the theatre. Of course playing it on a great Dolby system updates the emotional involvement 100-fold. It's one of my faves, not least because I love the director's incredible attention to every detail that went into making it, and the actors that truly make their characters come alive. It's not because of the touching but doomed love story (but that plays a lot too), but mostly because of the unthinkable tragedy that happened that night, of which Cameron never fails to pull me in and makes me a passenger on the Titanic until the credits roll by. I consider the whole sinking sequence to be one of the finest pieces of film ever put together. And Horner's score will always remain a winner to me.

I love TITANIC. And it's not a chick flick, not by a long shot.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote

Um. No.
    The word "humour" is a derivate from the ancient Greek medical science of humourism which hypothesized that the body's workings were based on the interaction and balance of four 'humours', or bodily fluids.

That notion however has very little, if indeed anything, to do with "a sense of humour" as used today.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    DreamTheater wrote

I don't think anyone suggested it was? confused

Now Chicken Run! THERE's a chick flick!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Now Chicken Run! THERE's a chick flick!

*sigh*
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    *sigh*

" Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/facepalm.jpg on this server."

*Sigh*.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    DreamTheater wrote
    I just saw it yesterday again for the I don't know 10th time, and it still amazes and touches me as it did the first time in the theatre. Of course playing it on a great Dolby system updates the emotional involvement 100-fold. It's one of my faves, not least because I love the director's incredible attention to every detail that went into making it, and the actors that truly make their characters come alive. It's not because of the touching but doomed love story (but that plays a lot too), but mostly because of the unthinkable tragedy that happened that night, of which Cameron never fails to pull me in and makes me a passenger on the Titanic until the credits roll by. I consider the whole sinking sequence to be one of the finest pieces of film ever put together. And Horner's score will always remain a winner to me.

COULDN´T AGREE MORE!
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Um. No.
    The word "humour" is a derivate from the ancient Greek medical science of humourism which hypothesized that the body's workings were based on the interaction and balance of four 'humours', or bodily fluids.

That notion however has very little, if indeed anything, to do with "a sense of humour" as used today.

applause biggrin

I demand that D be bled and leeches be put on appropriate parts of his anatomy. wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Um. No.

applause biggrin

I demand that D be bled and leeches be put on appropriate parts of his anatomy. wink

That's the Hippocrates theory?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I decided on "Revolutionary Road" and was overall disappointed with the film except for the music which I felt was a superb addition. My vote would have gone for Jolie in "The Changeling," a far better performance. The whole film I kept waiting for something profound to be said but I apparently missed it. I'm willing to talk a little bit about this film if someone cares to.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The more I think about CCBB the more I'm convinced that it shouldn't have been made into a film. It was an outstanding short story from Fitzgerald and would have been best served if it had been left alone. Very difficult story to tell.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    The more I think about CCBB the more I'm convinced that it shouldn't have been made into a film. It was an outstanding short story from Fitzgerald and would have been best served if it had been left alone. Very difficult story to tell.

I didn't mind the movie. I really enjoyed it and so did my wife. Could have used a bit more emotion but I was into from the beginning and the almost 3 hour running time didn't bother me. Now, admittedly, I haven't read the short story and I'm glad I didn't before hand. I'll take a look at it shortly to see how it differs from the film that was made.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. Martijn wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Actually, I would like to say that it is. wink
  5. sdtom wrote
    I decided on "Revolutionary Road" and was overall disappointed with the film except for the music which I felt was a superb addition. My vote would have gone for Jolie in "The Changeling," a far better performance. The whole film I kept waiting for something profound to be said but I apparently missed it. I'm willing to talk a little bit about this film if someone cares to.
    Thomas

I would like to discuss the film, but I probably should see it first.