• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2009
    Steven wrote
    To be fair, I have a somewhat more forgiving opinion when it comes to films (or at least I like to think). It's definitely not for everyone.

I also have a rather forgiving opinion... if it entertains me, that's all I ask in these action films. Heck, I enjoy Rambos 2 and 3! The fourth seemed rather less than those two, though. I hate dumb films that take themselves seriously.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2009 edited
    A fair point indeed, which I agree with to be honest. But I still enjoyed Rambo more than I thought I would, if just for the fact that you get to see lots of evil Burmese folk get 'pwnd' by Rambo (who, incidentally, could whoop Jack Bauer's ARSE).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2009
    Steven wrote
    A fair point indeed, which I agree with to be honest. But I still enjoyed Rambo more than I thought I would, if just for the fact that you get to see lots of evil Burmese folk get 'pwnd' by Rambo (who, incidentally, could whoop Jack Bauer's ARSE).

biggrin beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThomas
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2009 edited
    Recent viewing: Mission: Impossible III

This movie is even worse than part II. Why do some directors think that cheap video game aesthetics look good rolleyes? The score was way better than the movie but out of place since the 70s Schifrin sounds does not fit to 2000s video games (Giacchino/video game - conincidence? biggrin ). My expectations for Star Trek are now near zero.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2009
    Some directors? Make that almost all nowadays. rolleyes
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thomas wrote

This movie is even worse than part II. Why do some directors think that cheap video game aesthetics look good rolleyes? The score was way better than the movie but out of place since the 70s Schifrin sounds does not fit to 2000s video games (Giacchino/video game - conincidence? biggrin ). My expectations for Star Trek are now near zero.

It's such a shame that this director of all directors is getting to do Star Trek. I held out a tiny bit of hope that perhaps M:I III was a one-off, since it would be a rare director who actually made two films that bad, but then I saw the trailer for Star Trek. J.J. Abrams would appear to be a rare director indeed. There's the saving grace that at least we'll have another big Giacchino score, but really, I wish someone else - pretty much anyone else - was making the film.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Thomas wrote

Are you kidding? shocked I thought MI3 was AWESOME. Way better than the second, and in terms of being a big summer action movie, way better than the first! A helicopter chase through a windfarm, a superbly shot heist sequence at the Vatican, the spectacular bridge battle, base jumping in Shanghai, loud Giacchino, explosions, that hot asian chic. What more could you want?!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThomas
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2009 edited
    Anthony wrote
    What more could you want?!

Good story telling, a movie that is more than a sequence of action scenes, cinematography that does not make the film look like as it were shooted in a techno disco with a shaky hand camera?
  1. I watched the US remake of The Ring this afternoon.

I thought that the unsettling feel of the movie that permeated the original was translated well to the remake. The changes to the storyline were a bit much to take. And the end sequence featuring Noah was too elaborate. That sequence in Ringu was much more effective - less is definitely more.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    How did you like the score, Alan?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Thomas wrote
    Anthony wrote
    What more could you want?!

Good story telling, a movie that is more than a sequence of action scenes, cinematography that does not make the film look like as it were shooted in a techno disco with a shaky hand camera?

A perfect popcorn movie imo. Just like Eagle Eye and Sahara.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah; taking Mission Impossible movies too serious is a bit funny, admittedly wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I watched the US remake of The Ring this afternoon.

And the end sequence featuring Noah was too elaborate. That sequence in Ringu was much more effective - less is definitely more.

Indeed. The final sequence in Ringu is scarier than the CGI american version. I liked the film though, is the best american remake of an asian movie.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    How did you like the score, Alan?

I've always loved the score as a stand-alone listen - for my money one of Zimmer's best.

As a part of the movie I thought that it works really well - particularly adding to the uneasy feel of the movie as a whole. There sounded as though there was some "lighter" (we're talking relative lightness here compared with the rest of the music) music that I've not heard on the CD(s) I've heard.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Yeah; taking Mission Impossible movies too serious is a bit funny, admittedly wink

My problem with M:I III is not that I take it too seriously. It's that nobody involved in its production appeared to have a mental age greater than three months.

There are probably hundreds of dumb action films which I greatly enjoy.

On the other hand, I have never paid to see a film which was worse-made than M:I III. It is as bad as filmmaking could ever get.
  3. Christodoulides wrote

You only think they're born to be bad, because they've not been terribly good to date. wink Actually, on one level, they got off to such a good start. Brian DePalma's film might have been nonsense, but there is no one around who shoots a suspense setpiece better than him. In some ways, he's even exceeded his inspiration (Hitchcock) and his more popular rival (Spielberg). John Woo is at least cinematic, but pales next to DePalma, though even Woo has advantages over Abrams, who is a writer-turned-director if I ever saw one.

I thought Abrams film was garbage through and through. I'd elaborate, but the very thought of the film makes me angry. The last shot of Tom Cruise and his young fiance leaving the team of dedicated espionage professionals who are waving cheerfully in slow motion is beyond pathetic. I'm amazed people bought that nonsense. I'm sure Carnahan or Fincher wouldn't have made a masterpiece or anything, but I doubt you would have seen *cute spy film* Alias leftovers.

Recently saw two films at opposite ends of the spectrum...

Battlestar Galactica - this was the 2003 series opening film, and it's very good. I'll be watching more of the series for sure. It's good enough to even make Richard Gibbs' music seem strong by association.

Hiroshima, Mon Amour - it's like finding the time twin of one of my favourite films, In the Mood for Love. Both of them are among the greatest films ever made. The way Renais tells this story of a relationship formed in a single night is beautiful. I'm keen to see it again.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2009
    franz_conrad wrote
    Battlestar Galactica - this was the 2003 series opening film, and it's very good. I'll be watching more of the series for sure. It's good enough to even make Richard Gibbs' music seem strong by association.

Ah, but there's so much good stuff waiting for you then! Unfortunately, there's little music from Gibbs returning in the first season, except for maybe in the first 5-6 episodes because Bear McCreary took over completely. (Ooh, what I wouldn't give to hear back the BSG 'Main Titles' from the miniseries.) The music initially stays on the same line, but he gets to use more of his artistic freedom towards the end of the season, litterally making the final two episodes the turning point for me from "like" to "love" the show. His music just adds so much depth to it. I hope you'll see it my way one day. wink
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
  4. I quite like McCreary's second and third albums - particularly the third - for the series, so I'm probably already inclined to share your view. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote

I can't agree with what you say about the music, but I greatly enjoyed the tv movie. Indeed, I couldn't quite believe how good the series was. I've only watched the first two seasons so far, but hope to see the rest some day. (It's not on a channel I receive in this country, so I must either buy the DVDs or wait for Blu-Rays, and I'm inclined to do the latter.)
  5. Southall wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

I can't agree with what you say about the music, but I greatly enjoyed the tv movie.

The tracks with the single drum thumping away are under-done, but the rest of it didn't seem like a problem to me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote

Which ones?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote

Which ones?

Do you want me to name all of them!?

I have such low standards when it comes to these things, I can find enjoyment in most of them. It's only when they insult my intelligence (like with M:I III) that I just can't buy into it. With no disrespect intended, my instant reaction was that it was a stupid film made by and for stupid people. Obviously our good friends on this messageboard who enjoyed it are not stupid, so I was mistaken, but it's generally that sort of thing that gets (if you pardon the expression) my goat.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote

Which ones?

Not at all. But a few that first come to mind perhaps?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote

Which ones?

Not at all. But a few that first come to mind perhaps?

Well, here are some dumb modern action films which I enjoyed watching:

The Day After Tomorrow
    Chain Reaction
    Rambo 2 and 3
    Cliffhanger
    Die Hard 1, 2 and 4
    US Marshals
    ... and the king of them... Deep Rising

Films that, blissfully, don't take themselves too seriously.

I won't add the first Mission: Impossible to that list. There's no reason to feel guilty about enjoying that one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You like Deep Rising!? shocked

FINALLY, I found someone else!!! cheesy beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    You like Deep Rising!? shocked

FINALLY, I found someone else!!! cheesy beer

Deep Rising is nothing short of fantabulous! I never fail to laugh at the cover of the DVD which says in huge letters "Takes all the best parts of Titanic and Aliens!" which is the most hopelessly-misleading advertising of all time, but the film itself is a real gem.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    franz_conrad wrote

Hiroshima, Mon Amour - it's like finding the time twin of one of my favourite films, In the Mood for Love. Both of them are among the greatest films ever made. The way Renais tells this story of a relationship formed in a single night is beautiful. I'm keen to see it again.

I found the film incredibly dated.
    What may have passed for watershed symbolism 50 years ago, seemed stilted, forced, untrue and annoying now. As Resnais desperatly tries to avoid any particular narrative structure I found it not even interesting to watch, or indeed even entertaining.

The metaphor of coming to grips with a horrible past shines through loud and clear, but seems too embedded in the era and the very real and day-to-day aftermath of World War II. To watch it now seemed to me not unlike watching a 15th century chirurgeon earnestly apply leeches to a patient in the conviction he is doing right and wonderful things.

Boring and incomprehensible does NOT automatically equate to "good", no matter how many seven-syllable words and outerdimensional metaphors intellectualist critics try and cover it up with, though Hiroshima Mon Amour is a veritable feast of narrative lucidity, stylistic joy and artistic relevance compared to some of Resnais later stinkers (with his utterly execreable, disingenous, foppish and patronising Last Year In Marienbad as one of the saddest examples in filmmaking history in general).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  6. RE: Martijn's reaction to Hiroshima (hereafter HMA).

I'm not surprised at the least by the vehemence of your reaction, and even considered not typing the post in the first place in order to avoid the bother of reading a vitriolic reply. (Sticks and stones do break bones after all. wink )

I also find that incomprehensible films bore me, so I can see where you're coming from. I hate to see pretentious garbage exalted (Silent Light being a recent example), and frequently find as much fault with old classics as I do with modern films. And yet HMA wasn't anything like that for me. What can I say but that it made sense to me consistently, and I was absorbed moment to moment, finding meaning in all of it? I'm glad I didn't dislike it as much as you did, because that would have meant I'd have missed out on what I liked so much about it.

So anyway, here's a defense, and it's the only thing I'll say about it, because time is short, and you're not looking to have your mind changed anyway... wink

I'll be the first to say that if you're after narrative structure, this is not the film for you. (And neither is In the Mood for Love.) It tells you within the first 5 minutes (and keeps telling you for the next 85) that this will not be a film that is going to give you anything meaningful, so you'd be mad not to turn it off if there are no good films in your past that have worked along similar lines. And yet for others, the kind of dramatic progression you see in HMA feels more natural, and intuitive.

For me the moment where I really found myself wrapped up in it was the moment when she talks about her German lover, and the man becomes that lover, as though he were possessed by the idea. We hear it only in the voices, as we see some illustrative footage. I've seen that kind of moment in plays and novels, but to feel it at last emerge organically within a film made an intriguing film into a very moving one for me. If I ever make that first feature film, I can only hope it will be as strong as Resnais's. (Amazing to think that this was made by someone who'd only made a documentary before.)

'Dated' doesn't seem a fair cop, to me at least. I cannot see how the themes, the filmcraft or the general approach to the story are more dated than any standout film of the past. It only stands out more than something like Gone with the Wind, Lawrence of Arabia, El Cid or Citizen Kane because those all use a mode of storytelling which remains (and will continue to be) the norm. That is merely a survivorship bias to me - only the films which overlap considerably with contemporary filmmaking in general approach aren't regarded as dated. You probably don't agree.

To me the films that only truly date - and I'll admit, here again is a kind of bias - are those that were purely exercises of technical virtuosity that had nothing more behind them, or those who reflect an arcane value system that I would hope we had moved on from, or those that exist only because a commercial opportunity existed (again, with nothing more behind them). Since it fits none of those categories, HMA is not dated at all for me.

I didn't like Marienbad much on first viewing. On the second viewing, I was much more aware of the sense of humour behind it all, and liked it a great deal. I'm glad I put in the work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2009 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    RE: Martijn's reaction to Hiroshima (hereafter HMA).

I'm not surprised at the least by the vehemence of your reaction, and even considered not typing the post in the first place in order to avoid the bother of reading a vitriolic reply. (Sticks and stones do break bones after all. wink )

Aw, c'mooooon.
    I'm not that bad.
    Just incredibly and passionately opinionated. wink

I didn't think my response was that vehement, at least not with regards to Hiroshima Mon Amour (hereafter Hiroshima Mon Amour). As far as Marienbad goes, I simply don't have enough bile to bury it under in such a way that does it justice. There is no joke in that film, no sense of humour, no matter how much its apologists try and find a deeper meaning. In fact in a uncharacteristically frank interview quoted in Medved's 50 Worst Movies Of All Time (which to my utter delight featured Marienbad!) Resnais admitted making the film solely because he was strapped for cash at the time.
    Of course at that time he was well aware that the intelligentsia would excuse and explain anything he'd come up with, so he came up with nothing.
    Quite literally.

Anyway, we're not discussing that putrid piece of nihilism.

I perfectly see where you could find meaning and relevance in Hiroshima Mon Amour, especially in light of what Resnais pioneered, and the origins proper of the film (I think it started out as a documentary on the aftermath of Hiroshima, didn't it?). I like a lot of films other people would regard as irrelevant or boring (I'm an absolute nut for late 1910/early 1920 films. I love the fact that people were inventing film and filmic narrative then!), but to me Hiroshima Mon Amour fits your first category: I get no more out of it then a technical trickery (the storytelling...or rather absence thereof), and therefor any emotional echo falls flat.
    I simply have nothing to relate my emotions to...what am I to do whe I don't even know what's going on? I simply cease to care at some point (though not for lack of trying).

I simply don't find the possession/projection of both men to the woman very interesting, as there is no emotional build-up to it, no catharsis in the classical narrative sense. I don't live her pain, I don't share his ...what? We never get to see what he feels about things.
    And that mainly makes it a purely intellectualist excercise for me: no emotion comes into play (except those -I would argue- the viewer would inject himself... but then I could go and make my own movie or write my own book).

And that's the sort of film making that is dated to me.

As an extension of that thought: I just came from the Rotterdam Film Festival, which features -mainly- art films from all over the world, and it's a trend I seen growing: there are many seventies throw-back film makers that still think they imbue something with "relevance" if they obscure focus, meaning and emotion (preferably by an abundance of grand sounding phrases and designs).
    But the public doesn't stand for it any more.
    they walk out.
    The bubble of incestuous semi-intellectualism has been popped.
    "If you have something to say," the message seems to be, "then DO it, rather than giving yourself a good wank and presenting it as art.'

Anyway, it would be unfair to throw that into the face of Hiroshima Mon Amour,which, at the end of the day, was at the very cradle of a new wave (heh) of thinking and storytelling.
    It's been pivotal in cinema history, and for that reason alone deserves its status.
    But to me it's an experiment that failed, and while I'm happy to have seen it, simply so I can form an opinion, I won't be watching it again.

(And I'm sure I haven't changed your mind either smile )
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    franz_conrad wrote
    only the films which overlap considerably with contemporary filmmaking in general approach aren't regarded as dated. You probably don't agree.

Crikey! shocked
    I don't!

But that's another discussion. smile