• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. When we get around to our list of 'other discussions', the Book of Job will look like a trivial debate by comparison. wink

But anyway, thanks for elaborating. I don't really agree, but then it's hard to supplant an instinctive emotional reaction with another, however well explained.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2009
    Quiet City, by Copland, is a work written for English Horn, Trumpet, and Strings. The City is available from Berkshire for only $3.00
    http://www2.broinc.com/search.php?row=2 … mit=Search
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Sorry, it is a completely different work.
  2. Thanks for checking, Tom.
  3. Oh, and I forgot one other film...

SHADOWS OF THE VAMPIRE

I saw this a few years ago, and remember being disappointed. I returned, having spent the last two years luxuriating in the album of Dan Jones' very fine score. The film is disappointing. A real case of a pretentious director getting in the way of the material. There's such promise here, but it's very inconsistent and uneven in tone. (Not to mention having almost nil dramatic rhythm.) I read a draft of Steve Katz's script on the weekend after watching the film, and the script was much stronger than the film. Mehrige made some wonderful design choices, but wasn't a good choice of director for this.

About a third of Jones's score, the more violent material, is unused in the film. His music does still have a wonderful impact on how we feel the images.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    franz_conrad wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Yeah; taking Mission Impossible movies too serious is a bit funny, admittedly wink

You only think they're born to be bad, because they've not been terribly good to date. wink Actually, on one level, they got off to such a good start. Brian DePalma's film might have been nonsense, but there is no one around who shoots a suspense setpiece better than him. In some ways, he's even exceeded his inspiration (Hitchcock) and his more popular rival (Spielberg). John Woo is at least cinematic, but pales next to DePalma, though even Woo has advantages over Abrams, who is a writer-turned-director if I ever saw one.

I thought Abrams film was garbage through and through. I'd elaborate, but the very thought of the film makes me angry. The last shot of Tom Cruise and his young fiance leaving the team of dedicated espionage professionals who are waving cheerfully in slow motion is beyond pathetic. I'm amazed people bought that nonsense. I'm sure Carnahan or Fincher wouldn't have made a masterpiece or anything, but I doubt you would have seen *cute spy film* Alias leftovers.

Ok, you have me there. MI3 admittedly is the first episode of Alias brought to the big screen, but I can't understand why people despise it rather than just not enjoying it. It has the production values right? It looks "big"? confused cry
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Anthony wrote
    Ok, you have me there. MI3 admittedly is the first episode of Alias brought to the big screen, but I can't understand why people despise it rather than just not enjoying it. It has the production values right? It looks "big"? confused cry

For me that's part of the problem. It's so much easier to forgive a cheap film when it's crap. But if you're Paramount Pictures and you have $200m to spend on a movie, allowing someone who couldn't even direct his way to the toilet, to spend it just makes it seem all the worse.
  4. Anthony wrote

Was there a wide shot in that helicopter chase I missed? wink

There are a lot of indications throughout the film that they had to shoot close in to avoid wider details. (Not counting the Shanghai tower, where they pulled out the stops.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I've been viewing some of the older Mr. Moto(Peter Lorre) films from 20th Century Fox done in the 30's with scores by Lazlo, a composer we never talk about. I'm thinking of ripping the audio and putting together a CD. Likely the only way I'll ever get a soundtrack from him to speak of.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Despite what a M:I film COULD have been like, as Michael elaborates, still i believe they are not and they were never supposed to be any cleverer than a film like Transformers for instance. Why do people keep taking them more seriously than that is what i never understood....srsly. smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Despite what a M:I film COULD have been like, as Michael elaborates, still i believe they are not and they were never supposed to be any cleverer than a film like Transformers for instance. Why do people keep taking them more seriously than that is what i never understood....srsly. smile

Because there is so much potential there to create a clever espionage suspense thriller. DePalma is the only one to come close.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Aren't there SO much of them already?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote

Sure - but you do it in the M:I style. Something along the lines of Sneakers.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Sure - but you do it in the M:I style. Something along the lines of Sneakers.

-Erik-

Ah, Sneakers... there's a cracking film!
  5. I saw SNEAKERS when I was 14 and found it to be a tad... unbelievable, shall we say? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2009
    franz_conrad wrote
    I saw SNEAKERS when I was 14 and found it to be a tad... unbelievable, shall we say? wink

I absolutely adore it. The Too Many Secrets scene is really, really well done... and I give lots of credit to Horner for helping making that scene work!

-Erik-
  6. My memory is that the first half of the film is good, and then it started getting a bit too much to believe...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Don't be such an old grouch! There's Sidney Poitier! And James Horner!

Anyway, just watched Good Night and Good Luck. Fantastic film!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Don't be such an old grouch! There's Sidney Poitier! And James Horner!

Agreed completely! Stunning photography.

-Erik-
  7. Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote

Agreed completely! Stunning photography.

-Erik-

I agree too!
    Great choice of approach to music too.

Southall wrote

Don't be such an old grouch!

Hey, I was a teenager at the time! I haven't seen it since then. I might like it better. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Good Night And Good Luck is an example of what Hollywood is capable of.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2009
    Erik Woods wrote

Because there is so much potential there to create a clever espionage suspense thriller. DePalma is the only one to come close.

-Erik-

DePalma rips off Hitchcock and about half a dozen other directors for a lot of his films. That doesn't mean they're not entertaining, just derivative. Body Double, Dressed to Kill, etc..

The Black Dahlia
    was a hilarious flick, but for all the wrong reasons. DePalma just tries too hard to mimic film noir but it completely backfired and the actors don't help matters -- especially Scarlett Johannsen and Hilary Swank. The only good thing was Mia Kirschner and that wonderful Isham score.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
  8. Matt C wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

DePalma rips off Hitchcock and about half a dozen other directors for a lot of his films. That doesn't mean they're not entertaining, just derivative. Body Double, Dressed to Kill, etc..

The Black Dahlia
    was a hilarious flick, but for all the wrong reasons. DePalma just tries too hard to mimic film noir but it completely backfired and the actors don't help matters -- especially Scarlett Johannsen and Hilary Swank. The only good thing was Mia Kirschner and that wonderful Isham score.

Agreed about BLACK DAHLIA (though DePalma's visual direction is typically strong to my eyes). But we're not talking about all the films DePalma has stuffed up, we're talking about the one he actually got right - MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE. (From memory his rip-offs were relatively under control in this film, though I wouldn't be surprised if there was a nod or two to RIFIFI.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The thing that I've found about DePalma is when they come out I have an initial interest due to the subject matter but after seeing it I quickly forget it. However, I don't feel I wasted my money for the two hours I spent in the theater.
  9. Casualties of War is a great movie too.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    The Wrestler

Closer to a docummentary than to a film, but pretty good, although predictable since the beginning until the end. And be warned, the film is very decadent, so be sure you are in the right mood to watch it.
    After all the praise I heard, I still have to decide if I liked Mickey Rourke´s performance, I mean, I still don´t know if he is performing the character or he is performing himself.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  10. Marselus wrote
    The Wrestler

Closer to a docummentary than to a film, but pretty good, although predictable since the beginning until the end. And be warned, the film is very decadent, so be sure you are in the right mood to watch it.
    After all the praise I heard, I still have to decide if I liked Mickey Rourke´s performance, I mean, I still don´t know if he is performing the character or he is performing himself.

I notice that there's a 8-minute suite of Clint Mansell's music available to buy as a download:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001 … p;sr=102-1
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2009 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Marselus wrote
    The Wrestler

I notice that there's a 8-minute suite of Clint Mansell's music available to buy as a download:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001 … p;sr=102-1

Actually it has to be all the music Mansell wrote for the film. The film is mostly non scored / songs / source music.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2009
    The film "The Wrestler" has no interest for me.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2009
    sdtom wrote
    The film "The Wrestler" has no interest for me.
    Thomas

Why? I have two words for you... Marisa Tomei. That SHOULD perk your interest.

-Erik-