• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2009
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    anyway, did you catch Abominable, directed by Schifrin's son and scored by the maestro himself?
    Looks absolutely tacky, but is in fact very decent, some great moments of suspense, nice build up, good character development and a freaky ending biggrin

Abominable? That sounds good enough for me. Working on it.

let me know what you think smile

Watched it! B movie since start to its end. And you are right, the ending is freaky. I want what Schifrin´s son smokes biggrin
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Anthony wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Have you listened to the track and the time I gave?

Yes, and I've "known" about this for a long time but I've never been able to hear it. slant

Honestly, how can you not hear it? I actually first heard it in the film, with SFX blocking half of it out! Why don't you give Medal of Honor: Underground a listen, then immediately jump to that part in the Ratatouille score. Maybe you'll hear it then and make the connection.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    RV: X2

My first time seeing this film. I absolutely loved the use of Mozart's Dies Irae during the opening assassination attempt scene. love And it was an otherwise good film, with a pretty good score too. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I watched "The Devil Rides Out" with Christopher Lee. He is the good guy in this one almost Van Helsing like in his determination against devil worship. Music by James Bernard.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ^
    One I'll have to watch again sometime Tom? A good effort from Hammer as I remember.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    One of the best!
    Charles Gray is delightfully ominous.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Was To The Devil A Daughter a sort of sequel? Or am I just thinking that because both source material is from Dennis Wheatley?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2009 edited
    Haven't seen that one, but I'm reasonably certain The Devil Rides Out is Lee's only stint as Wheatley's aristocratic protagonist the Duc de Richleau (who in the books is an absolute prick, by the way, fulminating against mixed race marriage and all that. Yeah, yeah, Sign o' the times and all, I know. But still. Quite disconcerting.)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I've never read any of Wheatley's books.

In 'To The Devil' is a very naked ( and on the cusp 'too' young maybe ) Natacha Kinski.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ever since Cat People, that idea holds little appeal to me any more. slant

JV: The Prince And The Showgirl
    What a lovely, clever and delightful movie!
    Laurence Olivier and Marilyn Monroe just light up the screen in this unlikeliest of comedy pairings, and they pull it off beautifully (thanks to both the extremely fast-paced and witty script and the truly exceptional acting by the two leads).
    Olivier is the Prince Regent of Carpathia, Monroe the seemingly vacuous (but in fact extremely wise and witty) American actress he falls for and plans an evening of fun and games with.
    But Marilyn proves more than a match for his intentions.

The film, though lighthearted, shows off some unexpectedly powerful emotional moments, and is a monument to the phenomenal acting capacities of both leads. Olivier himself directed the film, and in it shows great flair for storytelling and pacing.

Just an absolute joy to see!

And Marilyn is SO beautiful. sad
  1. Little Miss Sunshine", this morning.

A quite good little movie with some wonderful laughs, some geniune emotion at times, and a nice message about family hidden in there. Only one score cue stood out a little, the rest was jsut servicable.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. I have yet to see it.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. Marselus wrote
    Watched it! B movie since start to its end. And you are right, the ending is freaky. I want what Schifrin´s son smokes biggrin

I just never expected it to be this decent, and by that it became actually quite good (at least for a B-Movie)

well I was amused to find it wasn't rubbish at all, and at least there's serviceable suspense punk
    I say, not bad, not bad at all smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  4. HUSH (2008)

Small road thriller, in the line of The Hitcher and Joy Ride and it works quite well. While I wasn't all that connected to the main character (if not, this would have been Breakdown revisited), the tension is still largely present. Slow moving but with enough twists, there is enough to like here.

7 out of 10
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2009
    Martijn wrote
    Haven't seen that one, but I'm reasonably certain The Devil Rides Out is Lee's only stint as Wheatley's aristocratic protagonist the Duc de Richleau (who in the books is an absolute prick, by the way, fulminating against mixed race marriage and all that. Yeah, yeah, Sign o' the times and all, I know. But still. Quite disconcerting.)

He is not anything like the book at all so I think you'll enjoy it knowing how much you enjoy Lee.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Maureen and I went and saw Moon this afternoon, a very interesting sci-fi film. It is not filled with special effects but tells an interesting tale of big business, loneliness, mining on the moon. Well done.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1182345/

Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I want to watch it so badly! How did you like the CLINT MANSELL score?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  5. I plan to watch it too.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    sdtom wrote
    He is not anything like the book at all so I think you'll enjoy it knowing how much you enjoy Lee.
    Thomas

Oh? To The Devil A Daughter stars Lee as well?
    I did not know this.
    I will have to go and seek this one out!

Thanks, Tom!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Naked Kinski not good enough?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Like I said... dizzy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Oh!? I thought she looked rather fetching in Cat People lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yeah....but...you know... with her brother... and there was that semen-strand scene... vomit I've been pretty much off Natasja ever since.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    biggrin

In her day she was incredible. I couldn't find the pic but there was one that showed her naked wrapped up with a python.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Comme ça?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    cool lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    WHO
    IS
    THAT?

love
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Natasha Kinski
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ah; a gramma now, right? smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yeah.

That was from her 80's peak. She still looks pretty good though.