• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2009
    Herrmann was a master for certain types of films, unrivaled by no one.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    RV: X-Men: The Last Stand

Great film! Magneto has become one of my new favorite movie villains! And John Powell's score rocked. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    S'alright, not the best film ever... but very entertaining. The first two films still remain the best for me.
  1. I thought the movie ruined everything that was cool about the X-Men in the first two movies. Not that the first two parts have been especially great either, but at least they treated the whole thing with respect.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Hmmm... I enjoyed all three; it's difficult to choose a favorite. I personally just can't wait till X-Men Origins: Magneto is filmed and released. smile
  2. Depends on the director and composer, I guess. McKellen will kick ass nonetheless.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Agreed. beer punk A composer other than HGW would be nice, though. I wouldn't mind hearing another John Powell X-Men score. Or perhaps a new face to the music of the franchise.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Has anyone gone and seen the Potter yet?
  3. Not planning to, honestly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    sdtom wrote
    Has anyone gone and seen the Potter yet?

Nope.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    It comes to Greece on August 25th so I didn't have the chance. I will go though because I always like to see the differences between the books and their on screen representation.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  4. We´re going on Sunday.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I've seen X-MEN origins: wolverine and i am still regretting the hours i've spent watching that pointless film with no reason of existence; it's me who's the idiot though, who decided to go through it and its totally soulless, boring score.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    biggrin

I enjoyed the film, but the score was just... was just... well, my therapist has told me not to dwell on these things, so I'll leave it...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's fun for some time my friend, i agree; but as a whole, it doesn't have a real reason of existence; just an excuse to make some money on the franchise. The reasons behind the characters' actions are so weak that they're almost non-existent. The score is the definition of FAIL.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yeah, I'd agree with that. As entertaining as it was, it could have been a lot better, and it did smack of franchise cash-in. (George Lucas would be proud.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2009 edited
    WB is good at making money
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2009 edited
    confused What are you talking about, Tom? I thought the X-Men films were put out by 20th Century Fox...
  5. "X-Men 3" was probalbly one of the most boring and wasted oppritunity films I have ever seen. It's only about four steps aobe "Men In Black 2".
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  6. above?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2009
    Potter was put out by WB. They also do the Batman films. Both=$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2009 edited
    Most recent viewings in the cinema:

Public Enemies- A very well made Mann film. The digital gave the film a great experience. Nevere has the 30's seemed so real. Very effective. Personally though. I probably would have preferred a different style. It really lacks that movie magic quality. But, not all films should have to abide by that rule. smile Could have cared less for Depp in it. I just don't really care for him. Off the top of my head, the only movie I like with him is Secret Window.

I believe that Collateral remains my personal favorite Michael Mann film. The use of digital there I felt was much more fitting.

MOON
    Not perfect in any respects. Certainly one of the far better films this year. Finally, a recent sci-fi film not relying on special effects. I guess decent characters and plot do go a long way. Acting was superb. Kevin Spacey lended his voice for a great Hal character.

Clint's score worked quite well. I love listening to it away from the film as well.
    However, agreeing with Tom. It would have been very interesting to have Herrmann on this one. He could have created a lot of great suspense. To have Hitchcock direct a film like this. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    I finally watched August Rush on DVD...

I really love the ideas of this movie - a musical fantasy with modern day Oliver Twist. And I also like the way August/Evan takes music instinctively... he brings all the sounds he's heard in his entire life (even before he was born) into his final piece! It reminds me of a young songbird constructing his song from sounds around him. biggrin

But this movie didn't impress me as much as August's music I've heard on Mancina's website two years ago. Probably it's because I couldn't feel the emotions of the main characters, especially August. He doesn't have much personality, and his expressions are somewhat blank, however emotional his music is.

And his unbelievable "talent" is nice when he uses it like magic, but once he started to study, it's too extreme... he learns too fast! dizzy I know it's a fantasy, but the scene where he produces tons of musical notes within few hours was like a comedy.

Though, Robin Williams as "Fagin" Wizard is great, as well as "The Artful Dodger" Auther. I hope his role was a bit more expended.

But anyway the music is the main character of this movie. What Mancina did for this movie is impressive! I love the scenes when sounds of streets are blended into music. I regret that I missed it in theaters, because it'd be great to hear all the sounds and music with large sound system smile
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    omaha wrote
    MOON
    Not perfect in any respects. Certainly one of the far better films this year. Finally, a recent sci-fi film not relying on special effects. I guess decent characters and plot do go a long way. Acting was superb. Kevin Spacey lended his voice for a great Hal character.

Clint's score worked quite well. I love listening to it away from the film as well.
    However, agreeing with Tom. It would have been very interesting to have Herrmann on this one. He could have created a lot of great suspense. To have Hitchcock direct a film like this. cool

Haven't seen it yet but i am really looking forward to it; the score on CD sounds quite suspenseful in places, plus the piano main theme whenever it appears a la THE FOUNTAIN mode, is quite effective.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    RV: Batman Begins

First time seeing this film. It served as a nice lead-in to The Dark Knight, though it made me realize just how much of The Dark Knight's score was merely rehashed from this... rolleyes
  7. If you carefully read Nolan's liner notes to Dark Knight, he clearly admits that the temp-track for that movie were rejected pieces from Batman Begins, SO MUCH he wanted to get the same sound.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    William wrote

First time seeing this film. It served as a nice lead-in to The Dark Knight, though it made me realize just how much of The Dark Knight's score was merely rehashed from this... rolleyes

Much like your complaint of the score itself.
  8. William wrote

I still like the first one the most, perhaps because it ignited the franchise back with a vengeance punk
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Steven wrote
    William wrote

Much like your complaint of the score itself.

My complaint served as a nice lead-in to The Dark Knight? Why, thank you! biggrin wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    PawelStroinski wrote
    If you carefully read Nolan's liner notes to Dark Knight, he clearly admits that the temp-track for that movie were rejected pieces from Batman Begins, SO MUCH he wanted to get the same sound.

I wouldn't know; I bought it digitally without liner notes.