• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2009 edited
    William wrote
    Steven wrote
    William wrote
    RV: Batman Begins

First time seeing this film. It served as a nice lead-in to The Dark Knight, though it made me realize just how much of The Dark Knight's score was merely rehashed from this... rolleyes

Much like your complaint of the score itself.

My complaint served as a nice lead-in to The Dark Knight? Why, thank you! biggrin wink

To be honest, that statement didn't make a lot of sense. Yuh.

Anyway.

The sequel score is very similar to the first, I'll agree. But why not? It's a similar film, and like the film, the score is pulled off with much more style, plus some extra music-you-associate-with-specific-characters-and/or-emotions-and/or-places (I didn't want to confuse you by saying 'themes', we'll leave that to the experts I think). 'Rehash' is correct up to a point, but it's certainly an unfair way to describe it. I think I'd describe it as the second movement of a whole piece. (It's not the best score ever composed I fully admit, but it's not as bad as so many love to profess it is, which does get mind-numbingly boring after a while.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Steven wrote
    William wrote
    Steven wrote
    William wrote
    RV: Batman Begins

First time seeing this film. It served as a nice lead-in to The Dark Knight, though it made me realize just how much of The Dark Knight's score was merely rehashed from this... rolleyes

Much like your complaint of the score itself.

My complaint served as a nice lead-in to The Dark Knight? Why, thank you! biggrin wink

How so? Explain.

Steven wrote
    The sequel score is very similar to the first, I'll agree. But why not? It's a similar film, and like the film, the score is pulled off with much more style, plus some extra music-you-associate-with-specific-characters-and/or-emotions-and/or-places (I didn't want to confuse you by saying 'themes', we'll leave that to the experts I think). 'Rehash' is correct up to a point, but it's certainly an unfair way to describe it. I think I'd describe it as the second movement of a whole piece. (It's not the best score ever composed I fully admit, but it's not as bad as so many love to profess it is, which does get mind-numbingly boring after a while.)

I understand what you're saying, but what I'd like to know is why, if the Batman Begins soundtrack was so much the same as the The Dark Knight soundtrack, was there so much hype for the latter that was not present for the former? People I know, even friends from school who aren't normally score fans, rushed out to the store to get the TDK soundtrack, proclaiming, 'Because the movie had a great score!' Why, then, do they not respond similarly to films with better scores?

The TDK score is not a once-in-a-lifetime work of genius, yet so many I know acted like it was/is. Or, if they even just like the style of the TDK score, why didn't they respond as enthusiastically to the BB score, after initially seeing it years ago? In my mind, BB had so much of the same sound, even the same material, with entire chunks of music which later appeared in TDK, so why was this sequel score treated as being so different from and better than the first score?

I personally believe it was just the media hyping up the movie. Heath Ledger's legendary performance and death, the trailers and all the Internet buzz, no doubt caused people to want to get involved with every facet of the film, even the score. And when I talk to them about it, they can give me no logical reason why they prefer the TDK score over any other score, or why they for some reason even noticed this score in the film any more than any other score - and for the layman, a film's score is not supposed to distract your attention from the film. But of all scores, TDK had almost nothing on its side to distract them.

I'll grant you that it served the film excellently, and that's a plus in the score's favor. But how on Earth could people notice this score in the context of the film and be apparently blown away by it, but not at all be distracted or even affected by a loud, bombastic action/adventure or sci-fi score with a stunning and catchy main theme? It doesn't add up, at least not to me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    William wrote
    Steven wrote

How so? Explain.

My statement y'dimwit, not yours.

I understand what you're saying, but what I'd like to know is why, if the Batman Begins soundtrack was so much the same as the The Dark Knight soundtrack, was there so much hype for the latter that was not present for the former? People I know, even friends from school who aren't normally score fans, rushed out to the store to get the TDK soundtrack, proclaiming, 'Because the movie had a great score!' Why, then, do they not respond similarly to films with better scores?

I think it's just a very modern score. It's very loud too.
    Young people like that (me included).

I'll leave it at that because I really can't be arsed to talk about this score anymore. sleep
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Steven wrote
    William wrote
    Steven wrote

How so? Explain.

My statement y'dimwit, not yours.

OK...? confused

Steven wrote
    I think it's just a very modern score. It's very loud too.
    Young people like that (me included).

And Batman Begins was loud too... But there was not nearly as much hype for that score. rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2009
    EPIC->face-palm-mt

I can understand discussing why one score might be better than the other, but why should I need to convince you why I prefer The Dark Knight over Batman Begins? Why should an argument that apparently fails to convince you mean that I've deluded myself into liking this score? Music isn't logical. There's no need for a logical explanation with something as subjective as preference in music. I simply prefer The Dark Knight because I prefer The Dark Knight.

Incidentally I couldn't care less about Ledger's death or any of the media hype, both of which had nothing to do with my enjoyment of the score.
  1. Beside the destinct Joker music, I doubt that people who aren´t too familiar with the scores would be able to tell which track belongs to which score if mixed wildly together. They are so deeply connected, it´s impossible for me to say which one I would prefer. I love them both, I think a combined album with the highlights from both scores would sound as if it came from one and the same movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I think Zimmer improved the action a little bit with the second score, but yes they are very similar. But with that taken into account, plus the Joker's theme and JNH's Dent theme, The Dark Knight makes for the superior album IMO. I haven't listened to Batman Begins ever since I purchased The Dark Knight soundtrack.

So there is my reason in as simple a form as possible for my preference in the matter. (On top of E=mc² of course.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Steven wrote
    EPIC->face-palm-mt

I can understand discussing why one score might be better than the other, but why should I need to convince you why I prefer The Dark Knight over Batman Begins? Why should an argument that apparently fails to convince you mean that I've deluded myself into liking this score? Music isn't logical. There's no need for a logical explanation with something as subjective as preference in music. I simply prefer The Dark Knight because I prefer The Dark Knight.

Incidentally I couldn't care less about Ledger's death or any of the media hype, both of which had nothing to do with my enjoyment of the score.

I'm not talking about your enjoyment of the score, per say, but rather, all the various people I've talked to who generally have nothing to do with film scores, not even the Batman Begins score, but for some reason went crazy over this one. It's not that they prefer The Dark Knight, I think, but rather, that it's the score to a cool film that had been getting a lot of media attention leading up to its release, and they just happened to think an overall rehash of the previous film's score (which they somehow didn't go crazy over, even with 80% to 90% of the same material?) was an incredible score... But someone could rip audio from the BB score and put it next to the TDK score, and I wouldn't be able to tell the two apart.

Basically, I believe half the reason most average people ran out to get this particular score, but not other, more noticeable scores, was because the film was as hyped up as it was. People go in and see a movie that will likely go down in history, and they want to have a piece of the action, and get the score. Not because it's necessarily truly a work of genius, but just because it's the score to a film they like. I don't think most of them even noticed the score much at all in the film, but they bought the album anyways and when they did, to them it became a masterpiece.

If only these same people would go out and purchase other scores, to lesser hyped films, which sometimes have better scores than TDK. The amount of media attention a film receives doesn't automatically mean it has the best score in the world. And when I see people who primarily listen only to popular music, that don't buy the BB score, but rush out to get the TDK score and act like it's a piece of heaven in audio form, I've got to wonder what's going on with today's culture... rolleyes

Even if by some miracle the TDK score were a masterpiece, then the BB score would be just as much a masterpiece, because in the context of the films, they are virtually the same: they sound the same, stand out in the film just the same (which is not that much at all) fit their associated films just as well as each other, use entire chunks of the same music, etc. There is no logical reason for an average person to notice the TDK score any more than the BB score, for there is little way to tell them apart.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    William wrote
    Basically, I believe half the reason most average people ran out to get this particular score, but not other, more noticeable scores, was because the film was as hyped up as it was. People go in and see a movie that will likely go down in history, and they want to have a piece of the action, and get the score. Not because it's necessarily truly a work of genius, but just because it's the score to a film they like.

No really, ya think!? dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Steven... rolleyes slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Just having a bit of fun.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    biggrin
  2. Steven wrote
    I think Zimmer improved the action a little bit with the second score

I wouldn´t call it an improvement, I think it just grew naturally from the "Black Rainy" first statements in BB, followed by the amazing BB End Title, to the inclusion of thematic material in Dog Chasing Cars up to the final and most positive statement in Introducing Anarchy. I think the latter versions´ impact wouldn´t have been possible without the previous work in BB.

But with that taken into account, plus the Joker's theme and JNH's Dent theme, The Dark Knight makes for the superior album IMO.

There is no Dent Theme. It´s the old Gotham Theme from BB, just played more powerfully.

I haven't listened to Batman Begins ever since I purchased The Dark Knight soundtrack.

You should try it again someday.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Steven wrote
    I think Zimmer improved the action a little bit with the second score

I wouldn´t call it an improvement, I think it just grew naturally from the "Black Rainy" first statements in BB, followed by the amazing BB End Title, to the inclusion of thematic material in Dog Chasing Cars up to the final and most positive statement in Introducing Anarchy. I think the latter versions´ impact wouldn´t have been possible without the previous work in BB.

To me, that pretty much is the definition of an improvement. But hey ho. smile

There is no Dent Theme. It´s the old Gotham Theme from BB, just played more powerfully.

Okay, fine. The more powerfully played version of the old Gotham Theme from Batman Begins is one of the reasons I prefer The Dark Knight album. wink (Technically it is Dent's theme as it's used as his theme in the second movie. It just happens to be a pre-existing piece.)

I haven't listened to Batman Begins ever since I purchased The Dark Knight soundtrack.

You should try it again someday.

Never really enjoyed the album that much any way, so it's doubtful I will.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Steven wrote
    To me, that pretty much is the definition of an improvement. But hey ho. smile

Well, if you put it that way, I can see where you´re coming from.

Okay, fine. The more powerfully played version of the old Gotham Theme from Batman Begins is one of the reasons I prefer The Dark Knight album. wink

See above.

So you don´t like the groundwork from BB, but like what Zimmer & JNH made of it in TDK? Fair enough. Still, I find them stylistically inseparable. To me, TDK just sounds like the second disc of a double disc score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

So you don´t like the groundwork from BB, but like what Zimmer & JNH made of it in TDK? Fair enough.

I certainly appreciate the groundwork, and I like the ideas of course. But they improved and expanded upon those ideas in the second one to make a much more enjoyable album, thus why I enjoy the second one a lot more than the first. Simple. Not sure how many times that needs to be explained! dizzy
  3. Not sure how many times that needs to be explained! dizzy

I just didn´t get that you appreciated the groundwork and ideas from BB, even if they didn´t satisfy you completely. Now I got it. shame
  4. Dent theme is a new theme, the Gotham theme appears in the end of the Harvey Two Face piece, but there is still new material, also there are Coplandisms here and there, something unheard of in BB.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    PawelStroinski wrote
    ... also there are Coplandisms here and there...

Where?
  5. Listen to the trumpet and horn lines in Harvey Two Face smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Dent theme is a new theme, the Gotham theme appears in the end of the Harvey Two Face piece, but there is still new material

Sorry, you´re right. Dent Theme isn´t the Gotham theme, but the first "line" of the Dent Theme is present in BB in multiple forms. It doesn´t change anything about Steven´s point, though, since it is developed further in TDK to become Dent´s Theme (even if that doesn´t make a lot of sense, if you ask me).
  6. Yes, it is an expansion on the original, even the end fo the track DOES feature the Gotham theme. Or Bruce/Rachel love theme?
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    That first line is used on many occasions in BB, and very prominently during that fight/escape sequence in the training monastery. I´m not exactly sure what it does represent, actually, but it certainly is a recurring motif.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2009
    omaha wrote
    Most recent viewings in the cinema:

Public Enemies- A very well made Mann film. The digital gave the film a great experience. Nevere has the 30's seemed so real. Very effective. Personally though. I probably would have preferred a different style. It really lacks that movie magic quality. But, not all films should have to abide by that rule. smile Could have cared less for Depp in it. I just don't really care for him. Off the top of my head, the only movie I like with him is Secret Window.

I believe that Collateral remains my personal favorite Michael Mann film. The use of digital there I felt was much more fitting.

MOON
    Not perfect in any respects. Certainly one of the far better films this year. Finally, a recent sci-fi film not relying on special effects. I guess decent characters and plot do go a long way. Acting was superb. Kevin Spacey lended his voice for a great Hal character.

Clint's score worked quite well. I love listening to it away from the film as well.
    However, agreeing with Tom. It would have been very interesting to have Herrmann on this one. He could have created a lot of great suspense. To have Hitchcock direct a film like this. cool

I'm glad we agree and you understand why Herrmann came to my mind
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2009 edited
    sdtom wrote

I'm glad we agree and you understand why Herrmann came to my mind

Hey, we Yanks have got to stick together. wink
    But seriously, Hitchcock you could a guy sitting in a room interesting. Sheer brilliance. The usual collaberation of him and Herrmann is always a sure winner.
    Can't wait for Vertigo on Blu-ray along with many of his others.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Part of the Dent theme (the brass part) does appear in BB on the track Myotis, played on strings.
  7. Just as a slow motif though smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Yeah.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2009
    It would have enhanced Moon.
    listen to more classical music!
    •