• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2009
    And your opinion Omaha on the absence of malice is?
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    sdtom wrote
    And your opinion Omaha on the absence of malice is?

I have yet to finish it. Hope to tomorrow! Had a girl over for the evening and she wanted to watch Yes Man. :/ Ladies Choice. :shrug:

I will report :salute:

wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Yes Man?
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    sdtom wrote
    Yes Man?

The latest Jim Carry romp.
    Not very impressive.
    I grew up on Dumb and Dumber. I always have to give him a chance.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2009
    Absence of Malice.
    Excellent movie that touches on the ethics of journalism.
    I wouldn't rank it above All the President's Men and The Year of Living Dangerously, but an excellent film none the less.

Paul Newman was excellent. Disappears into his character.
    It was great seeing a young Sally Field. I've always enjoyed her work. My first films with her were Forrest Gump and Mrs. Doubtfire. She was so young in this one.
  1. omaha wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Yes Man?

Not very impressive.

I like the guy, he has a wide range of acting abilities, and his early crazy roles in 'Liar Liar', 'The Mask' and 'Ace Ventura' still get some good laughs from me. And he was brilliant in 'The Truman Show'. That movie never fails to move me.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    DreamTheater wrote
    omaha wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Yes Man?

Not very impressive.

I like the guy, he has a wide range of acting abilities, and his early crazy roles in 'Liar Liar', 'The Mask' and 'Ace Ventura' still get some good laughs from me. And he was brilliant in 'The Truman Show'. That movie never fails to move me.

The Truman Show was absolutely amazing. I think his greatest role yet. I appreciate Carrey much, much more than most comedians out there. Thinking for a brief second... Sandler, Ferrel. vomit
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I remember Sally Field in the Flying Nun
  2. omaha wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Yes Man?

Not very impressive.

You could always "concentrate" your eyes on Zooey Deschanel lol Seriously I actually enjoyed Yes Man much more than I thought I would. It wasn't SO stupid a movie.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    omaha wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Yes Man?

Not very impressive.

Me too; he was brilliant in the 90's but what he made afterward was pure crappy downward motion.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    omaha wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    omaha wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Yes Man?

Not very impressive.

The Truman Show was absolutely amazing. I think his greatest role yet. I appreciate Carrey much, much more than most comedians out there. Thinking for a brief second... Sandler, Ferrel. vomit

You, my new man; beer 1) for your appreciation of the Truman Show, a film that had tremendous impact on me at the time and 2) for your dislike on the absolutely horrendous Sandler and Ferrel, pieces of crap, i thought i was the only one while sitting and observing the rest falling for their idiotic non-existent humor! freezing
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    I remember Sally Field in the Flying Nun

shocked

I have some of the music to it somewhere? It's by Billy Goldenberg ( one of the finest TV composers who ever lived IMO )
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2009
    Blood Snow
    Nazi zombies in Norway.
    It's bad.

The Outpost
    Nazi zombies in Kroatia.
    It's slightly less bad.
    But Lord, it isn't good.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Martijn wrote
    Blood Snow
    Nazi zombies in Norway.
    It's bad.

You mean Dead Snow? Bad? Maybe. But great fun!

Martijn wrote
    The Outpost
    Nazi zombies in Kroatia.
    It's slightly less bad.
    But Lord, it isn't good.

Maybe it is not good. But great fun!
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2009 edited
    The Kite Runner

I read the book a few years ago, and I'm surprised how brilliantly this movie captured all the essences of the story.

The kite tournament scene is as exciting as written in the book, visually and musically, and all the kids are amazing. Other actors are also great. Especially I love the gentleman who played Baba, even though his look is a little different from the book, he has his presence and really shows the spirit of the character.

And Alberto Iglesias' score... I must buy the album sooner or later! smile Both ethnic sounds and western guitars & strings are beautiful and emotional. Especially the tender cue (solo cello?) at the end.

By the way, I'm surprised when I saw Heitor Pereira and Martin Tillman's names in the end credits (and Hans Zimmer as special thanks)... uhm dizzy
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
  3. Zimmer lent his studio for recording and some soloists.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Marselus wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Blood Snow
    Nazi zombies in Norway.
    It's bad.

You mean Dead Snow? Bad? Maybe. But great fun!

It was translated as Blood Snow, which seems very accurate, giving that about 90% of the film consists of pretty silly ways of dismembering people.
    I wasn't frightened, amazed or amused. It all had a terrible eighties horrorschlockfest feel behind it, and the obligatory modernistic self-referential "humour" didn't do much to alleviate the mood.

It started off pretty good as well. slant
    Complete waste of time for the rest.

Martijn wrote
    The Outpost
    Nazi zombies in Kroatia.
    It's slightly less bad.
    But Lord, it isn't good.

Maybe it is not good. But great fun!

The only thing that elevated it over Blood Snow was the presence of the actor that played Titus Pullo in Rome, who at least has some presence. The mood and photography were fine, as was the (silly but intriguing) premise.
    Too bad it just turned out to be another stupid "kill 'em all" scenario with holes big enough to drive a Tiger tank through. With that cast and setting they could have made it really scary and really interesting.

It was neither now.
    Just boring.
    Which, even for otherwise really silly movies, is the ultimate sin.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Miya wrote
    The Kite Runner

I read the book a few years ago, and I'm surprised how brilliantly this movie captured all the essences of the story.

The kite tournament scene is as exciting as written in the book, visually and musically, and all the kids are amazing. Other actors are also great. Especially I love the gentleman who played Baba, even though his look is a little different from the book, he has his presence and really shows the spirit of the character.

And Alberto Iglesias' score... I must buy the album sooner or later! smile Both ethnic sounds and western guitars & strings are beautiful and emotional. Especially the tender cue (solo cello?) at the end.

By the way, I'm surprised when I saw Heitor Pereira and Martin Tillman's names in the end credits (and Hans Zimmer as special thanks)... uhm dizzy

Glad you liked it Miya, the score is one of Iglesias most accessible and direct, heartfelt gems. I can't recommend it enough!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Just watched a documentary called The Last Tommy. Taking the few surviving WW I veterans back to the sites of Pascandale and the Somme. Veteran Harry Patch who swore he would never even talk to a German and who never talked about his war time experiences until he was a 100 years old met and befriended a German who had likely been firing at him, when John Williams Schindler's List theme started up for this remarkable meeting I can tell you there wasn't a dry eye in my house.

Incredibly moving stuff.

Incidently ( and purely coincidental to the program being shown ) Harry Patch, the last British survivor of the WW I trenches died today aged 111. sad
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Incidently ( and purely coincidental to the program being shown ) Harry Patch, the last British survivor of the WW I trenches died today aged 111. sad

I was just going to post something on that.
    It goes further than the last British survivor: Harry was the very last survivor of World War I who had actually been in wartime action (there are two or three more merchant marine/supplies survivors).

That means that from today onward, WWI has passed into history.

I guess it won't mean much to most people, but to be there, consciously, when something as big as this shifts from experience (however minute) into the realm of history lessons is something that left me feeling very small and humble.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Indeed, indeed.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2009
    Tonight I'm going to watch The Street followed by The Wire followed by WATCHMEN which I've just hired out. cool
  4. Let me know about Watchmen, I'll rent it on blu-ray once it's out here
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2009
    I believe Martijn has already done a reasonably detailed review of the film somewhere on this very thread.
  5. Bedtime Stories

Enjoyable fluff, another movie that shows you the trailer doesn't show you at all what the movie's like. Sandler isn't irritating and the effects are very cool. There's a cute romantic spark between Keri Russel (what a hottie) and Adam Sandler and the score sounds lovely enough for the movie

7 out of 10

-----------------------------------------------------

Nim's Island

I wasn't all that thrilled by this one. Nice enough for 1 time but I expected well, something else. Anyway, it is okay but the pelican's ugly in CGI

6 out of 10

-----------------------------------------------------

The Haunting in Conneticut

If that's a true story, then wow those poop people. Anyway, there are some amazing shock effects in the movie but for whatever reason, it didn't fully interest me (and that for a true story )

6 out of 10
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  6. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Let me know about Watchmen, I'll rent it on blu-ray once it's out here

I'm interested in seeing it too. Like there was any chance you were going to NOT let me watch it. tongue
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  7. Martijn wrote

I guess it won't mean much to most people, but to be there, consciously, when something as big as this shifts from experience (however minute) into the realm of history lessons is something that left me feeling very small and humble.

I agree.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  8. I caught part of a documentary that documents Karlheinz Stockhausen's staging of his Helicopter String Quartet. Very interesting indeed to hear his ideas behind this project.

A comment on the Amazon.co.uk site relating to the DVD explains the content a bit:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stockhausen-Hel … amp;sr=1-1

Hopefully, I'll catch the rest of the documentary when it's repeated on Sky Arts 2 either tomorrow, or the next day, or the next...though I can't say I'd want to listen to the results on CD.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2009
    Seen it.
    Oh, for to have been present at the time.

With a bazooka.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2009
    ^
    A bit extreme shocked wink

Wouldn't a Bouzouki be just as effective to liven up proceedings!? cheesy