• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. That's a Greek wine/drink?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2009
    It would sure as hell be more enjoyable than anything by Stockhausen.

But then I'm of the opinion that unanaesthesized open-heart surgery by drunken quadriplegic Polish builders using spoons would be more enjoyable than anything by Stockhausen.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    If it were then it would be just as effective. cheesy wink

No, it's a Greek musical instrument.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote

But then I'm of the opinion that unanaesthesized open-heart surgery by drunken quadriplegic Polish builders using spoons would be more enjoyable than anything by Stockhausen.

lol
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2009 edited
    Martijn wrote

See, back in Mark Lemarr mode. wink

and you use it better than I do.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Crank - High Voltage

Why?

0.5 out of 5
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Just got through Battlestar Galactica: Razor (good TV movie) which set up a marathon viewing of the first four episodes of season 4. My lord, episode one was EPIC! I need a bigger TV... easily some of the most impressive effects works I've ever seen on TV.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Yeah, as much discussion as there is about BSG and its ending, the effects have been widely accepted as some of the best work on TV ever. They are indeed very impressing, and they continued to impress me up to the very end.
  2. DreamTheater wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Let me know about Watchmen, I'll rent it on blu-ray once it's out here

I'm interested in seeing it too. Like there was any chance you were going to NOT let me watch it. tongue

allright, allright, we'll watch it together wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    Did anyone catch "Bang Goes The Theory" on BBC1 last night?

I hadn't come across a "vortex cannon" before and was suitably impressed by what I saw!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyAyd4WnvhU

BTW, anyone know the music?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2009
    Bolt

Loved it, i didn't think it was Disney-overblown (as reported by some), just sheer, pure family fun and pretty heartwarming at places. Very entertaining, touchy story and great connection with the characters. As for the score, it's a real charm, one of Powell's most prominent and memorable. For more, see the now playing thread.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Did anyone catch "Bang Goes The Theory" on BBC1 last night?

I hadn't come across a "vortex cannon" before and was suitably impressed by what I saw!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyAyd4WnvhU

BTW, anyone know the music?

Wow! Wish I'd watched it. No, I don't know the music?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    My DVD player arrived yesterday but the box of movies is still somewhere between San Diego and Minneapolis.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    RV: King Kong (2005)

My first time seeing this film. Unexplained giant bugs, dinos, and a strange civilization of natives, not to mention Kong. It was an OK film, but there was way too much stuff left unexplained. I really did enjoy the score, though.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The dinos in the dino stampede look at times like the stuff you get in a lava lamp....very insubstantial.

Kong though, looks fantastic!

The score is good but I'm not mad on it.

The film as a whole is so-so.
  3. I have the same issue with the score. Half expecting another Waterworld, it was a bit of a let down. Good themes, not enough development and interesting underscore. The movie's a blast though. Play this in on a good AV receiver and there's some big sonic fun to be had.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2009 edited
    William wrote
    Unexplained giant bugs, dinos, and a strange civilization of natives, not to mention Kong.

*takes deep breath*

Intelligent Design?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Timmer wrote
    The dinos in the dino stampede look at times like the stuff you get in a lava lamp....very insubstantial.

Kong though, looks fantastic!

The score is good but I'm not mad on it.

The film as a whole is so-so.

Agreed. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2009 edited
    About KONG:

1) The stampede scene was meant as an homage, I believe. The way it not only looks, but feels like back projection is too artifcial to be an unwanted side-effect. The whole scene is absolutely ridiculous, and I think it was meant to be.

2) The score is a masterpiece if you keep in mind that JNH was brought in after Shore left the project. Yeah, I know, Waterworld was a replacement job, too; but still I think King Kong is a fantastic, great adventure score with a lot of beautiful themes and breathtaking action stuff. I prefer it over most other JNH´s adventure scores.

3) Skull Island
    Wow, where to begin? Jackson realised from early on that Kong would only be believable if his surroundings were believable, too. They spent an eternity to develop the background history and the different ecosystems of Skull Island. Yeah, it´s a fantastic island with dinos and giant insects on it, but they really took this task seriously. You can easily see how much work was put into it by visiting the homepage. Choose "Special Features" and then "The Bestiary" to take a look at a small fracture of the stuff they came up with about all those creatures. There´s a book out there, The World of Kong, which fully explores Skull Island, and one of the DVDs features a special in National Geographic style that tells a lot about that place, how it came to be the place we´ve seen in the movie, and what happened to it after the events we´ve seen.

One small example, the huge wall we see which protects those natives was never build to protect these natives. It once protected the ancient city that lay at the now sunk center of the island. And the natives aren´t the original natives. Of course you are not expected to get all this by simply watching the movie. But Jackson wanted to make sure that Skull Island was that ancient, lost world you can fully explore if stuff like this interests you. For once, those people really invested a lot of energy to come up with a great and fully thought-through place for a great adventure movie. And the deeper you dig, the more stuff you find... just take a look at the Skull Island entry on Wikipedia...

It´s amazing how great this movie actually is, in a lot more aspects than I would have imagined in the first place.
  4. Kong is one of those films you could practically cut in half, and still every scene would be there, and would be doing the same thing - to roughly similar effect. It was one of the more unedited films to hit the cinema in a while for me.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2009 edited
    Agree! A lot of the dino scenes I actually found tiresome and I'm a dino fanatic.

which probably says it all as I'm no big fan of fantasy dino nonsense as portrayed in Kong 2005

I still can't figure out why people bang on about how amazing JNH's score is....yes, it's good. It's also very generic, in less crappy film score times it would be forgettable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2009
    I found Kong to be a highly-irritating film. Jackson built up the blocks - but then, as Franz says, failed to build a decent film out of them.

As for the score - it's very good considering it was written in a week (or whatever ridiculous timescale it was done in), but frankly as a viewer of the film and listener to the album I don't care how long it was written in, I just want it to be as good as possible - and it wasn't.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2009 edited
    Its most glaring flaw is being sixteen times more overblown and histrionic than necessary. What's more, the cast are just plain weird to look at. Jack Black looks like he's playing the lead in Young Prescott and Naomi Watts spends the entire film gawping, sobbing, screaming or turning into Nicole Kidman in your head. Until the final scene, when she does all four at once. In slow motion. Atop the Empire State Building. In 3D.

As a film, it's the fattest, most swaggering, numb-headed and pointless assault on the senses it's possible to imagine.* What I can't understand is why I enjoyed it first time round.

*edit: Oh wait, I just remembered I've also seen Transformers.
  5. Tried watching SIN CITY last night. Turned it off about 30 mins in. Truly unpleasant and unnecessary. I can see how the director's command of style would make it a favourite film for a few people, but I couldn't get past the content. Who wants to watch a film about all that?
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    RV: What About Bob?

Bill Murray is hilarious! lol Great film!
  6. Wow, you people really hate KONG, do you? biggrin Then I think I´ll just leave it at that (although I´m so not on your side), but I will insist on Skull Island being a designer´s masterpiece.

My love for the score may, anyway, be heavily influenced by the fact that I like the film so much and that I gave the score countless spins because I used it for a series of RPG sessions. So, I listened to the score a lot and got to know it more intimately than other stuff. Maybe that´s why I´m more attracted to it, but I still find it to be full of great themes, raw but masterfully developed action, and that kind of drama that made me such a fan of JNH´s work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

2) The score is a masterpiece if you keep in mind that JNH was brought in after Shore left the project. Yeah, I know, Waterworld was a replacement job, too; but still I think King Kong is a fantastic, great adventure score with a lot of beautiful themes and breathtaking action stuff. I prefer it over most other JNH´s adventure scores.

Word. Not too excited about the movie i was when i watched it, but still the score's amazing. The beauty killed the beast parts contain some of the most mature and beautiful musical material he's ever written!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I think Jackson's King Kong is a nice, though by no means brilliant hommage to the '33 original, from where it draws much of the inspiration for its pivotal scenes and style (not only the visual one, but also the style of acting).

I'm honestly not interested in any behind-the-scenes design miracles, because -to put it bluntly- I simply don't care. I just want to watch a good movie.

I did enjoy a lot of King Kong, though it felt (and I think was) overly long.
    In that res[ect I feel compelled to agree with Franz: a more insistent editor might have made this a better movie.

franz_conrad wrote
    Tried watching SIN CITY last night. Turned it off about 30 mins in. Truly unpleasant and unnecessary.

You think?
    I didn't consider it necessarily more unpleasant than any other of the more contemporary film noires I have seen lately, and by no means as close to any true unpleasantness like Se7en (which to this day I can't understand people appreciating slant ).

Sadly I find Sin City mired down in comic book clichés )not too odd considering its origins, obviously wink ), which to me means the main attraction is the literal translation of Miller's visual style to a 3D live environment. But yeah, that does mean style over substance.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  7. I guess part of the problem - for me at least - with SIN CITY is that there's nothing remotely profound at the heart of it. I can take an unpleasant film that offers an argument to go with the lack of redeeming content - e.g. Haneke's CACHE - but I can't take it for the sake of nothing. (I count Miller's abundance of masculine fantasies as 'nothing' in this case.)

At least Morgan Freeman brought a sense of reality to SE7EN with his performance. It gave it real world credence for me. Mind you, I doubt I could sit through SE7EN ever again. I went for it when I saw it, but these days I'd find it very hard to take. We do change with age. (FIGHT CLUB is much the same - I'm not sure I want to ever see it again, much as I took to it the first time.)