• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2009
    Childhood's End

Giant 10 mile wide spaceships hovering above the worlds great cities........remind you of something?? wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2009
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Now that we've talked directors and you mentioned Stanley Kubrick whose work i GREATLY admire, i re-watched 2001: A Space Odyssey the other day on the TV and i was reminded of how proper, brilliant masterpieces on the big screen should be like.

Oddly enough I watched it last week for the first time in many as year.

Brilliant film.

( has anyone read the book? )

I've got 2001 on Blu-Ray. Absolutely stunning.
  1. On blu-ray, I bet it is. We saw the remastered DVD a while back and it was already like watching a film made last year. Awesome visual effects, give me this miniature, composite, mechanical whatever over the CGI shite we get nowadays, way more impressive.

2001, while it's not one I'll revisit on a regular basis, it remains one of the most curious, original films I've ever seen. Upon each viewing it amazes me how I get sucked in through glorious visual storytelling. And the end, while I don't get it, is totally mesmerizing. I can appreciate a film, even if I don't get what it means, but when I get the idea behind it, the vision the makers were trying to convert in images.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2009
    This topic is so full of people watching such high-brow films, I sometimes feel guilty about some of the crap I post about. Therefore tonight I decided to go straight to the arthouse, and watched a film which has existed on this planet for almost precisely as long as I have, yet our paths have never crossed until this day. That film is Smokey and the Bandit. Now, it may not be the silliest film I've ever seen, but that is only because I have seen The Fountain.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2009
    ^
    Thank goodness you stopped! Stomach hurting. Ribs aching! biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2009 edited
    The Killing Room

Can´t believe this film is a direct to DVD release in the US (although it was shown in Sundance and had a very limited theatrical release). It is, IMO, the best post 9/11 film I´ve watched. Don´t get me wrong: this one is not about evil terrorists, US army or marines with big guns. Not at all. Actually the film is about 4 people locked in a room, and two more people observing them. Gripping and unnnerving. Won´t say nothin more in case you see it eventually. Only that the message once its over is shocking and disturbing. Highly recommended.

As for Brian Tyler´s score, he forgets for once his over the top and excessive works and creates a very atmospheric, although orchestral, score, which adds more tension (as if there wasn´t enough) to the story. Good work.

4 out of 5
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2009
    Fallen (dir. Gregory Hoblit, 1998)

I didn't know Tan Dun wrote the score, and that it was his first effort! The music is in a way unconventionally original and combines some of the well known horror "tricks" like a bowed gong, low string notes played "tremolo" on the bridge (sul ponticello), plucked bass piano strings, with chinese folk instruments and what I think was bended notes on a jew's harp (ingenius choice!) to portray the twisted view of the film's villain, seen through a red camera filter.

The reason the music may be unconventional is that the film's suspense moments aren't played out with the up tempo cues and adrenaline rushing ostinatos associated with most thrillers. Dun will instead carefully mickey mouse each scene, increasing and slowing the pace according to the editorial and cinematograpic concerns. Its not the usual mickey mousing though, Dun is rather mimmicking the movements of the camera and the editorial pace than the actual physical movements of the actors. This slows the film down and makes it more spaced out and atmospheric than the typical American thriller. But I enjoyed that choice very much, though apparantly many critics criticized the slow pace of the film, of course without acknowledging that it was Dun's music that was the cause of it.

Its not the most exciting thriller around, but I would call it "comfortably suspenseful". The music is the treasure of the film - horror music in a low key, chamber music setting.
  2. Saw PUBLIC ENEMIES. My - what a fine film!
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    Saw PUBLIC ENEMIES. My - what a fine film!

WANT!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Yeah, wow! [spoiler]That ending is marvellous and exciting. How that scene is scored, the images and the haziness.[/spoiler]
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2009
    Tonight will be a treat as some of my movie material has arrived so I'll be able to watch something. Not sure yet what it will be. Might watch "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes," the original film that started Basil Rathbone/Nigel Bruce on a long series of films.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2009 edited
    Michael, what are your thoughts on the functions of the score in the movie PUBLIC ENEMIES?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    After watching The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable, I decided not to watch any more films directed by M Night Shyamalan. I couldn't see what the fuss was about with the former, and thought the latter was plain awful. Eventually I gave in and, much to my surprise, found myself thoroughly enjoying both Signs and The Village, despite the latter especially being pilloried by many critics. I even found some things to enjoy about The Happening.

Given that my opinion of his films seemed to be in stark contrast to everyone else's (ie I like the ones others don't, and dislike the ones others do) I settled down to watch Lady in the Water last night, hoping I would find something in it to enjoy that others didn't. I failed. I very nearly gave up half way through (something I never do) but kept watching only because of the very fine music by JNH. What a wretched, wretched film. How on earth did it ever get made? Did nobody think at any time that maybe it wasn't the best idea?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Shyamalamadingdong was pretty unassailable box office wildfire at the time, so the studios were happy to give him tons of leeway.

There's the occasional second thought these days, though obviously The Happening still got to be made.

I ahve a soft spot for Lady In The Water. not in the last place due to Newton Howard's magical score, but also because some of the ideas in the premise are actually quite good (especially the interpreting of the quest).
    I just wish they had been executed less semi-messianically.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. and without Shyamalan's OWN acting, it just makes things weird.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    and without Shyamalan's OWN acting, it just makes things weird.

Word. The man's acting and face is ridiculous.

LADY IN THE WATER is an awful film.

THE HAPPENING, SIGNS and THE VILLAGE are my favorite shyamalananantaolalla films.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I thought you hated The Happening! Must be thinking of somebody else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    I thought you hated The Happening! Must be thinking of somebody else.

I loved it. If i can actually find my review in the recent viewing thread..(Where's Martijn when you need him)..the somebody else you're thinking about is, well, everyone else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2009
    I really enjoyed WATCHMEN cool punk

RORSCHACH
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    MR. BLUE!
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2009 edited
    Southall wrote
    After watching The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable, I decided not to watch any more films directed by M Night Shyamalan. I couldn't see what the fuss was about with the former, and thought the latter was plain awful.

As I've stated before I think Unbreakable is Shama's best film. He took the best aspect of a comic book film, the origin story, stretched it out and molded it into a 2 hour masterpiece. I think what really perked my interest was that I had no clue what the film was about going into the threatre. I had seen the trailer weeks earlier (which brilliantly kept the main story hidden) and then once I saw the opening title screen about how many comic books are sold in the world (or something to that affect) I thought to myself what does that have to do with anything? Well, as the film moved along it all started to make sense and I was absolutely memorized by the story and its execution. The ONLY thing that ruined the film were the last few title cards explaining in American Graffiti fashion what happened to our hero and villain. I would have loved to have an open ended finale so I could make up my own conclusions.

-Erik-

PS - James Newton Howard's score is wonderful!
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. Well said man! Unbreakable is a great follow-up for the amazing The Sixth Sense. A really original film and superbly shot if you ask me. Bruce Willis nailed the part and you could feel the emotion and what the character went through during the film. Of course the score helps a lot. Signs completes the holy threesome of Shyamalan's directorial skills.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Shyamalan's best, in my opinion, is his second little movie: WIDE AWAKE. I absolutely LOVE it! I wish he kept THAT style of film-making instead the style he became famous - and later infamous - for.
  5. DreamTheater wrote
    Well said man! Unbreakable is a great follow-up for the amazing The Sixth Sense. A really original film and superbly shot if you ask me. Bruce Willis nailed the part and you could feel the emotion and what the character went through during the film. Of course the score helps a lot. Signs completes the holy threesome of Shyamalan's directorial skills.

It was supposed to be a part of a trilogy, wasn't it?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2009
    I'm in the process of watching Hard Contract after listening to the score, a new Varese release from Alex North. It is a tough watch so far.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2009 edited
    LARGO WINCH

A shame it's only one quarter in English, one quarter in Croatian and half in French, as from what I understood it was a pretty good adventure story (no subtitles either!).

Apparently based on a Belgian comic book, the film centers around the death of Nerio Winch, who owns one of the largest companies in the world (funnily enough they never mentioned what the company did). Following his death there are talks of who is to take over the company, only for his secretly adopted son (Largo) to come out of hiding, much to the detest of many board members.

Largo believes Nerio was murdered by someone who wants to take control of the company, and from then on it's a find-out-who-while-dodging-the-evil-head-of-security type dealy.

Some cool fight and chase scenes, especially considering the ones in Hong Kong weren't authorised by the city (some of the film crew kept an eye out for police).

A fantastic set piece island location that's circular in shape with a big cove in the middle. Boats have to travel through a cave to reach it. If that place is real, I have to go there!

Desplat's music fits perfectly, and there are a couple of cool over the top action cues that aren't on the soundtrack. I hoped there would be a big end credits suite, but instead out of nowhere there was a random song by Razorlight.

Overall, a pretty decent film which I hope gets entirely dubbed in English eventually. The who's-good-who's-bad thing was easy enough to work out (baddies = English), but when it got down to business talk in French I started losing it.

Oh, and there's tits within the first 10 minutes! wink

See it if you can...!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2009
    Is there an edited version where I can watch just the first 10 minutes!??
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Them (1954)

A young girl is found wandering in shock in the New Mexico desert near White Sands by two state troopers . When they investigate they find that the trailer that she was staying in with her parents and sibling had been destroyed . They also find that kindly old Gramps Johnson who ran the local store was also killed in a mysterious way . A lone print fround in front of the little girl's trailer is sent to the FBI in Washington for identification . Dr. Medford and his daughter Dr. Pat Medford come to New Mexico after identifying the print as belonging to a species of ant that had mutated after the first atomic bombing 9 years before in 1945 . They find and destroy the New Mexico nest but not in time to prevent two young queen ants from escaping . One of the ants starts a nest on a military ship at sea . After the ants kill the entire crew the ship is sunk and the invading ants are killed . Another ant makes her way to the drain system of Los Angeles . A father and his two young boys accidently come upon one off the ants . The father is killed and then a hunt is on to see if they are in time to save the two young boys and also destroy the nest before any other ant can escape and destroy the world as we know it . Top notch entertainment and not to be missed if you're a classic Sci-Fi fan !
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ^
    Classic sci-fi full of great atmosphere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen

Any human dumb enough to voluntarily sit through a second helping of this unremitting vomit spew really ought to just get up and leave the planet via the nearest window before their continued presence does lasting damage to the gene pool.