• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2009 edited
    biggrin applause

Hmmmm, I take it you didn't watch it twice? wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. I made the mistake of watching "Iron Eagle" yesterday on TV.

Tuning in only because Basil Poledouris scored it and I had not heard any of the score before ... little did I know just how bad this movie would be.

Sometimes, in the 1980's, you'd have a movie that wasn't really bad per se -- though some would say it is -- but one could say it was "Grade A cheese" in a way. this is not the case with "Iron Eagle". This film is Grade A shit.

The acting was terrible pretty much al around. The storyline was very, very basic with absolutley no surprises. The use of a tape player to play songs while flying and shooting enemies, cheapened the film and made scene that would have otherwise benefitted from Basil scoring, annoying and tedious.

But let me get to the "Best part" of this shitty film: the fighter plane FX.

Fighting Ming planes (and scoring more hits in a single mission than ANY single fighter in Ming history...), when any Ming was hit we were introduced to high school FX and professionalism. Get ready for it: a plane model just sitting there nd exploding from the middle. That's right. And the explosion was unrealistic and too small. But the best part ... the wings, in all the explosions ... simply just FALL OFF the Mings. They don't explode with the plane or go to pieces, they fall off like they had been held on by used two-sided tape. There was better explosions in the 60's "Star Trek".

Basil's score? Didn't hear a single thing worth mentioning.

AVOID THIS SHITTY FILM.

I'm still left scratching my head wondering how any studio head could have watched this, and then proceed to let there be no less than THREE sequels. THREE!!!
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. Taxi Driver

I never bought a bad movie on DVD. I always choose classics which I've seen already (and as I wrote in another thread, I am expecting a jaw-dropping batch as soon as early next week) or new movies that were very well reviewed and I wanted to see them anyway - like Doubt or Frost/Nixon.

Taxi Driver was my second viewing. EVERYTHING about this movie is perfect - cinematography, acting (DeNiro, Keitel and Jodie Foster in particular), Bernard Herrmann's chilling score (and his last for that matter). The filthy atmosphere of New York as seen by Travis, his seclusion, his obssessive character, who isn't a bad person, just lonely. It's all shown great and with vengeance.

That said, Taxi Driver is a masterpiece indeed, just as Raging Bull (another killing performance by Robert DeNiro) and Goodfellas - all by Scorsese. Great, great movie and if anybody hasn't seen it, go buy or rent it RIGHT NOW!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2009
    justin boggan wrote
    I made the mistake of watching "Iron Eagle" yesterday on TV...

Well , sorry Justin - but I love this film ... (boy , now I'm gonna have it ! lol)
    Ok the movie has a see-through plot , wasn't really realistic and some of the acting was terrible - but it had one thing going for it ... it was ENTERTAINING ! Iron Eagle is one of my many 80's guilty
    movie pleasures . Watching Louis Gossett Jr. in this one is an absolute joy for me , put this together with some great 80's tunes from Queen and many others and it simply rocks !
    Well , like they say in French ... les gouts et les couleurs ... wink
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
  3. PawelStroinski wrote
    Taxi Driver

TAXI DRIVER is a brilliant piece of work, however I'm not sure I can also recommend it to everyone who hasn't seen it. It left me feeling awful, and is on my list of well made films (REQUIEM FOR A DREAM, BEFORE THE DEVIL KNOWS YOU'RE DEAD) that I hope to never see again. Good for the head, not for the soul.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2009
    The hilarious episode of Have I Got News For You guest hosted by Brian Blessed, from a few series ago, was repeated last night and I just watched it on BBC iPlayer. Certainly one of the funniest episodes of the show's history.

biggrin
  4. Eric wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    I made the mistake of watching "Iron Eagle" yesterday on TV...

Well , sorry Justin - but I love this film ... (boy , now I'm gonna have it ! lol)
    Ok the movie has a see-through plot , wasn't really realistic and some of the acting was terrible - but it had one thing going for it ... it was ENTERTAINING ! Iron Eagle is one of my many 80's guilty
    movie pleasures . Watching Louis Gossett Jr. in this one is an absolute joy for me , put this together with some great 80's tunes from Queen and many others and it simply rocks !
    Well , like they say in French ... les gouts et les couleurs ... wink

typical 80's movie, fun because it is silly
    and the kid flying the plane at the end and bombing the bad guys was a hoot punk
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  5. City of Ember
    Intriguing little fantasy movie, while it doesn't have the most interesting story of all, it's chock full of interesting ideas, including cinematography, art design and that amazing orchestral music. The child actors do their work very well and there's something about it, that made me enjoy it to the end. The puzzle part was just a small portion of the movie and I thought it would be almost this the entire way through, but at least they saved that part for a bit of character development. And I adore that opening scene, inventive while having that amazing music smile
    7 out of 10

RobBhood
    Benny Chan & Jachie Chan usually deliver and here it is light light entertainment, but with a heart. Sadly for me, the movie's too long, but that doesn't stop Chan & Chan to deliver again some amazing choreography. There aren't many, and there a bit slower than we perhaps would love to see, but they sure are amazing nonetheless. This is Chan in comedy action mode, but at least there's a heart too. I enjoyed it, but as said way too long movie
    6 out of 10
  6. franz_conrad wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Taxi Driver

TAXI DRIVER is a brilliant piece of work, however I'm not sure I can also recommend it to everyone who hasn't seen it. It left me feeling awful, and is on my list of well made films (REQUIEM FOR A DREAM, BEFORE THE DEVIL KNOWS YOU'RE DEAD) that I hope to never see again. Good for the head, not for the soul.

I think it should be seen at least once, though. Yes, it's a depressing movie, but definitely a culturally important one. Of course, seeing it was obligatory due to my plans.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  7. Thomas Glorieux wrote

RobBhood
    Benny Chan & Jachie Chan usually deliver and here it is light light entertainment, but with a heart. Sadly for me, the movie's too long, but that doesn't stop Chan & Chan to deliver again some amazing choreography. There aren't many, and there a bit slower than we perhaps would love to see, but they sure are amazing nonetheless. This is Chan in comedy action mode, but at least there's a heart too. I enjoyed it, but as said way too long movie
    6 out of 10

Should be good enough for a watch then bro?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote
    The hilarious episode of Have I Got News For You guest hosted by Brian Blessed, from a few series ago, was repeated last night and I just watched it on BBC iPlayer. Certainly one of the funniest episodes of the show's history.

biggrin

Oh absolutely!!!! I'm guessing this was on while you were in Oz!?

I hope they'll bring him back as a guest presenter in the next series, BRIAN BLESSED is legend cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    I did actually see it when it was originally aired but I found it so much more funny this time round.

His little anecdote about the toilet mishap on Everest(?) is hilarious. Just the way he tells it. You can see just how much it tickles Alan Duncan MP.

biggrin
  8. DreamTheater wrote

most definitely wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Spielberg's Munich is on BBC2 tonight. I haven't seen it since it was released 4 years ago(!) at the cinema. I remember it being fantastic so I'm looking forward to sitting down tonight and watching it again.

smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2009
    franz_conrad wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Taxi Driver

It actually leaves me feeling less awful than Bringing out the Dead, its obvious follow-up. (And I've even watched that one about five times.)
  9. For me, BRINGING OUT THE DEAD has redemption. And it's about a man whose mission is compassionate. I haven't seen it in a while, but my memory of it was that it left me feeling like it was a world that people manage to live in.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2009
    I thought I would celebrate getting Sky+ HD by watching a film which might show off its capabilities, and chose Spider-Man 3. And it certainly did show off its capabilities, looking fantastic. Pity it's not a better film, but I didn't think it was awful, and the polarity of most people's opinion on it and its predecessor is something I will never understand.

It did reinforce just how wonderful Danny Elfman's main theme is. Probably my favourite superhero theme actually. The rest of the score (I can't remember the story now about just how much of it was actually by Christopher Young and how much was reworked by Deborah Lurie, or just tracked Elfman cues) worked quite well and I'd be keen to have it on CD, but Young's music didn't strike me as being anywhere near so dynamic as Elfman's.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

most definitely wink

beer
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    My friend Maureen is visiting me and last night I let her choose the movie, what a mistake. Top acting performance goes to the dog if that tells you anything. The only other point of interest was seeing an obese Kathleen Turner who I remember well in Body Heat. What a difference a few years make.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
  10. sdtom wrote
    My friend Maureen is visiting me and last night I let her choose the movie, what a mistake. Top acting performance goes to the dog if that tells you anything. The only other point of interest was seeing an obese Kathleen Turner who I remember well in Body Heat. What a difference a few years make.
    Thomas

and that movie was ...?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Marley and Me
  11. sdtom wrote
    Marley and Me

ow, I think that one will be cute?
    Haven't seen it yet, and I can understand the dog will be the best actor of them all, but I think that was the main general idea of the movie smile

Anyway, I think I'll enjoy it, like I've enjoyed any great animal movie (Beethoven in particular punk )
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    As long as you can get through the lack of acting.
    Thomas
  12. But it's the dog we're interested in, screw those humans... tongue

BTW, don't you think animals should be able to receive awards? I think so, since acting for them is like going totally against their instinct. So they should get a real award for their unnatural efforts, humans already get the paycheck, what do they need the award for?

Just thinking out loud here... wink shame
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  13. DreamTheater wrote
    But it's the dog we're interested in, screw those humans... tongue

BTW, don't you think animals should be able to receive awards? I think so, since acting for them is like going totally against their instinct. So they should get a real award for their unnatural efforts, humans already get the paycheck, what do they need the award for?

Just thinking out loud here... wink shame

thinking out loud?
    I'll bet you're at work now wink
  14. I'm doing anything but work here buddy hehehe.

I'm on break !!!!
  15. DreamTheater wrote
    I'm doing anything but work here buddy hehehe.

I'm on break !!!!

break? means work wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    Marley and Me

face-palm-mt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2009
    Julie and Julia was quite enjoyable for me to watch especially given the fact it was about a topic that wasn't beaten to death. The Desplat score was as usual enjoyable. However, this film might not be for all of you.
    Thomas
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2009
    Apparently, Meryl Streep is again top of her class here, as usual. What did you think Tom? The score is quite good with the usual attention to details from Desplat.