• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2009
    Yes it is top notch all the way.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Darjeeling Limited

I quite enjoyed this for the most part, particularly the fine comic acting, but I couldn't help but get a bit irritated by the film's constant need to "be quirky" - talk about over-egging the pudding (or adding syrup to sugar, or whatever Thor's fantastic expression was).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    'butter to grease' wink

I enjoyed 'Darjeeling', and liked the quirkiness.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2009
    Ocean's Thirteen

I love all these films. Does that make me a bad person? Yes, I know it's predictable, but it's so much fun!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm really bad James because I enjoyed the original Oceans 11 with Sinatra and gang. Good Billy May score!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2009 edited
    With the iconic image of the rat pack strolling along.

The modern versions are really wet in comparison.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I've never seen the original. It doesn't seem to have many favourable reviews. Mind you, neither do the modern ones - and I like them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Wilbur Wants to Kill Himself

I'm a big fan of Scandinavian movies and this one is a little gem. Actually, it was my second viewing. Moving, sad and funny at the same time. It seems to me that Danish filmmakers are masters at this style. Highly recommended!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    I've never seen the original. It doesn't seem to have many favourable reviews. Mind you, neither do the modern ones - and I like them.

When I said the modern versions are 'wet', I meant the cast in comparrison to the heavy weights of the original. The modern films are way superior to the original.
    •  
      CommentAuthorzirael
    The Cove

I highly recommend "The Cove" which I managed to catch at the Full Frame Film Festival as a volunteer. It received a standing ovation from the audience, well deserved too, for being a suspenseful documentary about a crack film and diving team infiltrating a guarded cove in Taiji, Japan where dolphin-killing has been taking place for years. The filmmaker also tracked the emotional journey of Ric O'Barry, Flipper's trainer, from his role in inspiring the dolphin park industry to actively trying to combat it. The film is not for the squeamish since there's a lot of bloody, churning water and agonizing dolphin sounds. I hope it'll be nominated for an Oscar - it was one of the most inspiring activist documentaries I've seen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    "In the Electric Mist" was the film we watched last night with Tommy Lee Jones, a no nonsense sheriff who didn't wait around for the court system to react. Beltrami's Cajun score (took place in the Bayou) was appropriate. I think if you like Tommy Lee Jones you'd like it.
    Thomas
  1. zirael wrote
    The Cove

I highly recommend "The Cove" which I managed to catch at the Full Frame Film Festival as a volunteer. It received a standing ovation from the audience, well deserved too, for being a suspenseful documentary about a crack film and diving team infiltrating a guarded cove in Taiji, Japan where dolphin-killing has been taking place for years. The filmmaker also tracked the emotional journey of Ric O'Barry, Flipper's trainer, from his role in inspiring the dolphin park industry to actively trying to combat it. The film is not for the squeamish since there's a lot of bloody, churning water and agonizing dolphin sounds. I hope it'll be nominated for an Oscar - it was one of the most inspiring activist documentaries I've seen.

I was really interested about this one after having seen the trailer, I'll rent it or see it at least once it's available here
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  2. Watching "Bown Away" right now, because Silvestri is the composer. I'm not "blown away" by this score, or film. It's a decent enough film and not so boring that I need to turn channels, but it's also not completely fun to watch.

Tommy Lee Jones is Irish accent is bad, and his acting is quite sub par is comparrison to his other works.

Aside from an impressive and interesting main title piece (which the rest of the score so far has not been like), nothing else in this score is getting my attention.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  3. justin boggan wrote
    Watching "Bown Away" right now, because Silvestri is the composer. I'm not "blown away" by this score, or film. It's a decent enough film and not so boring that I need to turn channels, but it's also not completely fun to watch.

Tommy Lee Jones is Irish accent is bad, and his acting is quite sub par is comparrison to his other works.

Aside from an impressive and interesting main title piece (which the rest of the score so far has not been like), nothing else in this score is getting my attention.

I want this movie on Blu-Ray
    And a proper score release, quite like the score smile
  4. Explosions in DTS-HD? Yes please !!! punk

Before Transformers and The Matrix, there was Blown Away to effectively relocate your house. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2009
    Man of the Year

I've always been partial to Barry Levinson's films, but this one received mostly negative reviews, dismissing it as an unfunny comedy. I was pleased to find that it was nothing of the sort - it isn't a comedy at all - it's a satire on the American electoral system. Its targets are easy, but they are not ones dealt with often enough by mainstream films, so I was pleased to see it. Robin Williams is excellent as a comedian who is coaxed into running for President and who wins thanks to a malfunction with an electronic vote-counting system. Its first half is outstanding - a spiritual successor to Levinson's best film, Wag the Dog - and it's disappointing that the second half descends into a weird blending of mawkish sentimentality and action thriller, but I was very pleasantly surprised in the main.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    DreamTheater wrote
    Explosions in DTS-HD? Yes please !!! punk

Before Transformers and The Matrix, there was Blown Away to effectively relocate your house. smile

So is there much difference between films encoded in DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD? None of the films I watch that have DTS-HD sound as good as TrueHD as my amp doesn't support the former, but I assume if it did they would sound just as good as each other?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Man have I GOT to see this.....

BEST. FILM. EVER.
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    LOL. Jeez, the actors are so good. I have to remember NOT to watch this wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2009 edited
    Timmer wrote

BEST. FILM. EVER.

And starring Lorenzo Lamas. A must see.

Tagline of the year: "We are dealing with a menace"
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I watched Twilight last night with Maureen. My opinion was yuk. The target audience is the teenage crowd and I'm long past that part of my life. The Burwell score was ok. Perhaps it works better away from the film. I don't own the score.
    Thomas
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2009 edited
    Marselus wrote
    Timmer wrote

BEST. FILM. EVER.

And starring Lorenzo Lamas. A must see.

Tagline of the year: "We are dealing with a menace"

biggrin

Lorenzo Lamas from Falcon Crest applause

What was that series where he was a kick-ass trucker or something!? cheesy

...or was it a biker?
  5. Timmer wrote

BEST. FILM. EVER.

Can you say 'Must-see B-film nonsense'? I'm with you Tim.

Looks quite good in the effects department. cool
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    There's more clips in the side bar....MUST. SEE. MOVIE. OF. THE. YEAR. cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Timmer wrote
    Lorenzo Lamas from Falcon Crest applause

What was that series where he was a kick-ass trucker or something!? cheesy

...or was it a biker?

Snake Eater!

Snake Eater (1989)
    Snake Eater II: The Drug Buster (1989)
    Snake Eater III: His Law (1992)
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Renegade. That was the name of the series where he was a cop turned bounty hunter.
  6. Timmer wrote

BEST. FILM. EVER.

allright, we love monster movies

I must say, the effects look okay shame
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Timmer wrote

BEST. FILM. EVER.

That's what I said a while ago. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    You....you've seen it!?? shocked
  7. And lived to tell the tale ??

omg