• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2009 edited
    Best Original Score - Motion Picture List

The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button
    Composed by Alexandre Desplat

Changeling
    Composed by Clint Eastwood

Defiance
    Composed by James Newton Howard

Slumdog Millionaire
    Composed by A. R. Rahman

Frost/Nixon
    Composed by Hans Zimmer

and the winner is ..................SlumDog for best score, my gawd what where they thinking. shocked

and yes Ive heard it
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2009
    Hard to comment
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Hard to comment? I think Moonie's comment sums it up perfectly...

moonie wrote
    my gawd what where they thinking. shocked

-Erik0
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Rahman's music (not just score, all of the songs as well) complimented the movie so well. It's not the best score in the traditional sense, but Rahman's work enhanced the movie so much more than any of its competitors.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lp wrote
    Rahman's music (not just score, all of the songs as well) complimented the movie so well. It's not the best score in the traditional sense, but Rahman's work enhanced the movie so much more than any of its competitors.

Bah! Like I said before most scores do there job just fine in the film. Drones to fully orchestral material. But Slumdog is far from the best and it blows me away that this is even considered award material. It's more because of the popularity of the film than the music its self a la Brokeback Mountain and Chariots of Fire.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    I thought Tom would be all over Desplat not winning smile
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2009 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    lp wrote

Bah! Like I said before most scores do there job just fine in the film. Drones to fully orchestral material. But Slumdog is far from the best and it blows me away that this is even considered award material. It's more because of the popularity of the film than the music its self a la Brokeback Mountain and Chariots of Fire.

-Erik-

Why does it surprise you? It's IN fashion now. Last couples of times it was Gustavo and now that they've grown tired of argentian strummed instruments, the next available thing that was around is Bollywood, A.R.Rahman, thingies like that. Onto the next oddity, next year. No word about actual quality or worthy nominations though, those terms don't exist in most awards' vocabularies.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    It's more because of the popularity of the film than the music its self a la Brokeback Mountain and Chariots of Fire.

-Erik-

Well the funny thing is, and I include myself here, a lot of people came to know of CHARIOTS OF FIRE through the popularity of its music, which far outweighed the film. For many (and I no longer include myself here) it is still one of the strongest fusions of music and image they've seen. I think it's wrong to assume people don't like the music for what it is and simply think it worthy of awards. They're not necessarily ignorant proles who want to give film X every possible award under the sun, and they might as well dish out the music prize while they're at it. wink Certainly there's more than one clever person who isn't part of our blessed circle who is similarly taken with BBM and SLUMDOG.

I'm just sayin'. smile
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2009
    franz_conrad wrote
    Well the funny thing is, and I include myself here, a lot of people came to know of CHARIOTS OF FIRE through the popularity of its music, which far outweighed the film.

If you replaced the word "music" with "theme" then I would agree with the more specific point. Like many others, I was aware of (and loved) that theme long before I became a film music nut. Then I heard the rest of the score...
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    If you noticed I even changed my icon to Buttons.
  2. Southall wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Well the funny thing is, and I include myself here, a lot of people came to know of CHARIOTS OF FIRE through the popularity of its music, which far outweighed the film.

If you replaced the word "music" with "theme" then I would agree with the more specific point. Like many others, I was aware of (and loved) that theme long before I became a film music nut. Then I heard the rest of the score...

Aside... Peel the skin off me by all means for saying this, but to this day, I don't think it's a bad score. I think if you're used to a certain kind of scoring technique, what Vangelis did doesn't make a lot of sense, but (in this case, it seems to me) it's neither good or bad unless thinking makes it so. It's not like PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN, where we know the difference between the well composed version of that score, and the one we got. It's a different frame of reference.

But the general point was, these films often get popular because of music that we don't particularly like, but then we turn around and say that if it hadn't been for the strength of the film, the music wouldn't have sounded so good. One reaction is: isn't the popularity of RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK or DANCES WITH WOLVES as scores among the uninitated based on similarly fragile popular appreciation for the film?
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    lp wrote

-Erik-

Why does it surprise you? It's IN fashion now. Last couples of times it was Gustavo and now that they've grown tired of argentian strummed instruments, the next available thing that was around is Bollywood, A.R.Rahman, thingies like that. Onto the next oddity, next year. No word about actual quality or worthy nominations though, those terms don't exist in most awards' vocabularies.

Are you saying that Bollywood style music will be the trend now? Or is it already THE trend?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2009 edited
    Slumdog Millionaire IS trendy now. It's something "different" for the awards to chew on, till something equally "different" and "exotic" to come along.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2009
    Christodoulides wrote
    Slumdog Millionaire IS trendy now. It's something "different" for the awards to chew on, till something equally "different" and "exotic" to come along.

See?

vomit
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2009
    Christodoulides wrote

I don't think it's been about the trend du jour. Marianelli won for Atonement, didn't he?
    I think it's just that a popular (or critically acclaimed) film will drive folks to vote for it in most categories.

For that matter, the Golden Globes has a decent track record in the last 6 years or so. They're not going by trends.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2009
    I just think the music could have been toned down a bit. When a film is in an art theater the age group isn't 16-24
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2014
    Golden Globes
    12 Years a Slave
    All Is Lost
    The Book Thief
    Gravity
    Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom
    Kazoo
  3. Hm. Not at all pleased with the first two, although not surprised either. Iffy on Gravity; the parts I like best on album are the parts I like least in film, and vice versa, which leaves me just confused about the entire thing dizzy . I feel like The Book Thief, though a good (not great) score, is only in there thanks to Williams' name. And haven't heard the last one (Heffes, is it?). But none of the scores on there would make my top 5, 10 or even 20 of the year. slant
  4. I'd go with Heffes' score from that list.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2014 edited
    Haven't heard the Heffes. The Book Thief and Gravity both feel worthy to me (the latter the clear winner if I were voting).
  5. yeah
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2014
    pf
  6. Interesting link from DANIEL PEMBERTON: Good piece on the BAFTA vote process here.. Possibly explains how the yawny Saving Mr Banks score got a nomination.. http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/ja … never-seen

Not the Golden Globes but BAFTA. Interesting nonetheless.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. Golden Globes

12 Years a Slave
    All Is Lost Winner
    The Book Thief
    Gravity
    Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom

Has anybody heard this?
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  8. Yes. It's dreadfully dull. I would rather Williams, Price, or Heffes had won.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2014
    All Is Snooze won? Riiiighttt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Golden Globes
    All Is Lost Winner

Has anybody heard this?

Like Gravity this may be effective in the movie but as a stand alone listen it's NOT my personal cup of tea Thomas ! Maybe others like it ?
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    One chord drones.