• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2009 edited
    ...yes, on the radio!

I don't know if anyone else listens to it particularly much, but in the past few weeks I've found myself listening to the radio a lot more in the car than I normally do.

It's usually Classical FM for me, as there's a ton of great classical stuff I've never heard before. A shame I can never take down the names of some of the pieces as I'm driving though!

They occasionally put some decent film scores on there as well. At lunchtime yesterday somebody requested some Harry Potter (I'm pretty sure what they played was from the first one), and just as I'd got in my car on the way home I caught the end of a track from Defiance.

When I'm somewhere with an Internet connection however, StreamingSoundtracks seems like the place to be!

Does anyone else listen to the radio or are you all busy with your huge score libraries? cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Good thread Anthony ( perhaps a "RADIO" designation in the title perhaps? ). I do listen to the radio at times, Classic FM, Radio 2 quite often etc. I'll post here when appropriate.

Never EVER Radio 1....latest hits played over and over and over and over annnnn sleep

smile
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I rarely listen to the radio and if I do it's usually in the car but since I have my iPod with me at all times the radio is hardly on. If I do feel the urge to listen to the radio I will usually listen to...

IN THE MORNING
    The Dean Blundell Show - A Howard Stern type show that is totally immature but at times brilliant. Just 3 guys hanging out having fun.

WHEN GOING TO PICK UP THE WIFE FROM WORK AND THE KID FROM DAYCARE
    The Fan 590 - Toronto Sports Radio Bob McCowen is an excellent sport talk show host who goes deeper into sports than any other sports caster I've ever heard.

ANY OTHER TIME (usually weekends)
    Usually classic rock or a station that doesn't play all the today's hits ever 5 minutes. I usually tune into a local station Y108 for some great classics and a good collection of early 90's rock.

There is also a classic rock station that plays only that... classic rock. Q107. The most recent they play is early 90's but even that's rare. They have a great Sunday line up of only Psychedelic rock... music only produced between 1965 and 1975. Trippy stuff but oh so good.

I tune into the classical station now and again but it's all the same old favorites that I'm sure every classical station plays. sleep

And if I'm away from the TV and the Leafs are on I tune into AM 640 which actually a solid talk radio station as well.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2009
    Erik Woods wrote
    I tune into the classical station now and again but it's all the same old favorites that I'm sure every classical station plays. sleep

The thing with a classical radio station is they are playing music that spans many hundreds of years. For example, I much prefer Romantic music to Classical, and I usually cannot stand Baroque. If there was a radio show dedicated to Romantic and 20th century 'classical' music, then it might be a different story.

For someone who professes much love for the Golden Age, it's surprising how little you like non-film orchestral music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

The thing with a classical radio station is they are playing music that spans many hundreds of years

I understand that. But I find that the program directors are playing the same old shit that is on every classical compilation album. It's like Top 40 radio from classical fans. sleep Or it's the light boucing tarty stuff that I just can't stand. vomit

Steven wrote
    For example, I much prefer Romantic music to Classical, and I usually cannot stand Baroque. If there was a radio show dedicated to Romantic and 20th century 'classical' music, then it might be a different story.

I'm with you there.

Steven wrote
    For someone who professes much love for the Golden Age, it's surprising how little you like non-film orchestral music.

I didn't say that I didn't like it. I just don't like the station's playlist. But as for playing classical music at home... I honestly would rather listen to film music. It's just a preference. I have a pretty tiny classical selection that I dabble in from time to time and enjoy very much but I grew up with film music so I prefer listen to it over anything else. I mean, I also LOVE Hard Rock/Heavy Metal and have a pretty deep collection which I absolutely treasure but I rarely listen to it. Just because I don't listen to other genres of music as much as I do with film music doesn't mean I don't enjoy them or appreciate them.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2009
    I don't listen to regular radio very much (even though I have a nice Tivoli radio), but I do tune in to online radio some times. I actually did a thread this over at FSM once:

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/p … ;archive=1

However, I mostly listen the last.fm, which is a genius online "jukebox" that plays music similar to the artist you type in!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2009
    I never ever listen to the radio any more.
    There's just TOO much material (both music and spoken word) I still have on my hard drive and on my shelves I still need to find time to listen to.

In days of yore I used to listen to the radio mainly for news, audio drama and to find inspiration to seek out new musical directions or groups.
    For news I have the web now.
    Audio drama is still predominantly a radio item, but luckily there are many sites that post recordings...and quite legal ones too (all copyrights having been either waived, expired or bought off). Best thing is that I find FAR more there than I was able to through radio alone.

And as far as musical inspiration goes, well, MainTitles takes care of 99% of that. smile
    The other 1% interestingly mainly comes through songs used for background music to TV commercials!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    The only radio show I listen to is the excellent movie review programme every Friday on BBC Radio Five Live with Simon Mayo and Mark Kermode. Very funny and insightful. However I never listen to it live, I subscribe to the podcast version through iTunes.

smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I merely use the radio to get information about politics, sports, weather, and the news in general.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    sdtom wrote
    I merely use the radio to get information about politics, sports, weather, and the news in general.

LOL! :D

So....MERELY for that, eh?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2009
    I rarely listen to music Thor unless it is on where I'm visiting or traveling in an auto other than the one I own. I tried to listen to a radio program called Imagination Theater on Sunday night but gave because of the relentless number of commercials which grated on me.

Also keep in mind that I don't read our newspaper anymore nor do I get information from the television.

I think merely was a proper adverb meaning simply.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2009
    sdtom wrote
    I rarely listen to music Thor unless it is on where I'm visiting or traveling in an auto other than the one I own. I tried to listen to a radio program called Imagination Theater on Sunday night but gave because of the relentless number of commercials which grated on me.

Also keep in mind that I don't read our newspaper anymore nor do I get information from the television.

I think merely was a proper adverb meaning simply.

I know...just jankin' your chain. It was a tad funny that you mentioned everything EXCEPT music, which makes it much more than just "simply". smile
    I am extremely serious.
  1. We listen to NOSTALGIE here, good classic songs of the 70 and 80's, occassionally with the new entry from time to time

and they used Star Wars as their opening tune for the christmas special
    of course it would have been shocking if something else than Star Wars was used slant
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  2. Not "recent" but upcoming.

Tonight UK's Classic FM radio station is dedicating a 2-hour programme celebrating the film music of John Williams. "Saturday Night At The Movies" - 5-7pm - will feature many of Williams' excerpts from his best-known film scores. It may be available online for overseas listeners but I do not know if there is any geographical restrictions. Being radio, I think anyone could listen in online.

I would listen in myself but there is the small matter of this year's Calcutta Cup rugby union match between Scotland and England at the same time.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2014
    I hope this plays for those of you interested.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03y10gs

Rejected Film Scores with a particular emphasis on Goldsmith's Alien and Walton/Goodwin's Battle of Britain.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Neat!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2014 edited
    It was a good listen, a shame it wasn't longer or part of a limited series. Not too much that I didn't know but I'm an old fooker and have been around the block wink

Good to hear Jon Burlingame, Ron Goodwin, Howard Blake....
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Actually I got a real pang of loss hearing Goodwin briefly talking. I'd met him a handful of times and he really was a lovely and charming gentleman with a great sense of humour.*

*Which I'm sure he needed dealing with my moronic teenage questioning wink
  3. Timmer wrote
    It was a good listen, a shame it wasn't longer or part of a limited series. Not too much that I didn't know but I'm an old fooker and have been around the block wink

Good to hear Jon Burlingame, Ron Goodwin, Howard Blake....

Just finished listening to it. A nice way to spend 30 minutes!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2015 edited
    Film critic Mark Kermode's started a 4-part radio show that highlights a few of the soundtracks he has in his record collection, collected over his lifetime.

Twenty minutes in so far and we've had Star Wars, E.T., Raiders of the Lost Ark, You Only Live Twice, Midnight Cowboy, The Good, The Bad and The Ugly and...Dougal and The Blue Cat. Clips from these and other films are interspersed with comments from the likes of David Arnold, Edgar Wright and Anne Dudley.

Episode 1: http://bbc.in/1Pqm1Pp (probably UK limited)
  4. Watching/listening BBC Proms and Prokofiev's Alexander Nevsky cantata is about to start on BBC Radio 3 and BBC4.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2016
    I am slightly dismayed to realise that -even if I never listened to it seven years ago, my last post in this thread- I now not even OWN a radio any more. Sic transit...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  5. Martijn wrote
    I am slightly dismayed to realise that -even if I never listened to it seven years ago, my last post in this thread- I now not even OWN a radio any more. Sic transit...

But, you must have the ability to listen to radio?

I don't have a dedicated radio but I can listen to the radio on the TV (!), on my phone (!), on my CD player and on my mp3 player. And on my laptop.

How times change.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2016
    I'm sure I should, should I install the right app, find the right website or change a setting on my TV.
    I just never did...or even looked into it.

Very odd.
    I used to listen to the radio constantly in the eighties.
    It's really a medium that -to me- in this 'wired' society has lost its urgency. Or indeed its raison d'etre.
  6. On BBC Radio 2 this evening at 10 is 'Tony Hatch As Heard On TV'. It's an hour-long celebration of TV theme tunes. Should be a nostalgic trip down memory lane.
  7. FalkirkBairn wrote
    On BBC Radio 2 this evening at 10 is 'Tony Hatch As Heard On TV'. It's an hour-long celebration of TV theme tunes. Should be a nostalgic trip down memory lane.

Caught up with this earlier today and it was good to hear a show dedicated to TV themes.

It's such a broad topic it could only skim the surface - which is perhaps why there's to be a 3-part series in the new year - and lots of great themes were omitted. There was a bit too much of an emphasis on theme songs for me, but there were a few great little nuggets of trivia to be mined.

And there was a good little name-the-theme-tune montage of sport-related tunes. I'd never heard of one and sloppily mis-identified one but was pleased overall with my 11/13 score.