• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2009
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    If it does, i am a bad person too shame
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Damn. Perhaps we should start a club?

If it mitigates anything - I do want to see it.
  1. I think it's a worthwhile film. It's one of the great films about a passive protagonist. (See also Benjamin Button, which is not great, but strong.) Bertolucci and Storaro were doing wonderful things photographically, the sets are wonderful (many are real locations), and Bertolucci's films have such style about them. With Bertolucci, you can be sure it will never just be a glib biopic - he actually goes into the sexual lives of his characters.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. Southall wrote

Hello everyone.

My name's Alan. And I haven't seen The Last Emperor!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. No wonder you all hate Cong Su! (Who would never have won his Oscar under current rules, I think.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I saw it as a teenager for the first time, and loved it. It was accesible enough, while having the stylistic pizzazz to hook me. Haven't seen it since, though. Would be interesting to see if my opinion has changed, now that I'm old and weary and cynical.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2009
    When I was a young man, I happily declared Vittorio Storaro to be the greatest living cinematographer, even though the only film of his I'd ever seen was Apocalypse Now. Another thing to add to my list of sins.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Southall wrote

Hello everyone.

My name's Alan. And I haven't seen The Last Emperor!

Hi! Thanks for sharing.

I too haven't seen The Last Emperor.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I am now willing to present the results of my actuarial survey: 100% of people who have seen The Last Emperor are either Australian or Norwegian.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I shall be presenting my results to the Continuous Mortality Investigation Bureau to see what conclusions can be drawn about the life expectancy of people who idolise Stephen Sommers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Probably that they live long and prosperous lives one would imagine.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    To be honest, one should never predict the outcome of the investigations of the Continuous Mortality Investigation Bureau. Trust me - I speak from experience.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2009 edited
    Check out their 36th working paper to see what I'm saying. Who could have seen that one coming?

http://www.actuaries.org.uk/knowledge/cmi
  4. Can you explain in layman's terms what do they try to say? That people having tumors, hypertension, heart diseases actually die? biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    They seem to suggest that everyone dies.
  5. WOW!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    So, just me, Michael and Thor eh!?

It's a very good film, considering some of the rubbish we all watch you could do a helluva lot worse than watch a damn fine film like The Last Emperor.

Nobody mentioned it yet but Sakamoto's part of the scoring is sublime.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. Ay, it is. (Sakamoto's part of the scoring.)

I would go so far as to say that THE LAST EMPEROR was the only Best Picture winner of the 1980s that actually deserved the prize. The rest, as Hamlet would have put it, shall keep as they are. (Though AMADEUS was pretty fine, now that I think about it.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I was just about to go off on one large rant. Luckily I read the last part of your paragraph.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Southall wrote
    I am now willing to present the results of my actuarial survey: 100% of people who have seen The Last Emperor are either Australian or Norwegian.

No, no no! I am proudly announce that me, and at least three other people (my friends, actually) also have seen The Last Emperor in the beautiful land of Hungary - and the score is still among my favourites!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I'm afraid you were too late to enter the survey!
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    OK, then I join the Australians! tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    franz_conrad wrote
    Ay, it is. (Sakamoto's part of the scoring.)

I would go so far as to say that THE LAST EMPEROR was the only Best Picture winner of the 1980s that actually deserved the prize. The rest, as Hamlet would have put it, shall keep as they are. (Though AMADEUS was pretty fine, now that I think about it.)

I've seen The Last Emperor a couple time now, and it's a gorgeous epic. The music is great, it hits all the highs and lows yet doesn't overstays its welcome.

Amadeus was the only contender, IMO, that could have won the Best Picture nom and it would have been a well-deserved one.
  7. I haven't seen it either, nor have I seen The Godfathers
    But that doesn't make me a bad person, just a person missing classics tongue
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2009 edited
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    I haven't seen it either, nor have I seen The Godfathers

Without GODFATHER's I & II no top ten film list is complete.

Forget ALL other recommendations and go rent Thomas.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
  8. Timmer wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    I haven't seen it either, nor have I seen The Godfathers

Without GODFATHER's I & II no top ten film list is complete.

Forget ALL other recommendations and go rent Thomas.

hmn, perhaps I will, next time I rent some movies I'll try to include them to the list wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Don't bother with III. Or IV for that matter, especially since it doesn't exist. But yeah, III ain't so great.

What?
  9. Steven wrote
    Don't bother with III. Or IV for that matter, especially since it doesn't exist. But yeah, III ain't so great.

What?

I always heard the second was the best one, so I'll see