• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2009
    I thought I would start a thread where people can ask general questions and share stories about places they have traveled.

I just made plans to travel to Budapest during my spring break this year and I was curious if anyone from the area has suggestions on must see and eat destinations. Unfortunately I will only be staying for a week just to give you an idea of how long I'll be there.

This will only be my second time traveling out of the country, my first time being this summer when I stayed in Japan for about a month. I'm hopeful that traveling to different countries is something I can do throughout the rest of my life considering what a rewarding experience my first trip was.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    GREAT idea! Never been to Budapest, but this thread could turn into a keeper!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    What country are you from David?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    Nope, I'm from the United States.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    David wrote

Do you have a list of places that you want to visit beyond all others!?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2009 edited
    Timmer wrote
    David wrote

Do you have a list of places that you want to visit beyond all others!?

First on the list was Japan, so that's checked off now, but after that I'd love to visit Iceland, Switzerland, Italy, Scotland, India, Korea, Egypt, Kenya (a friend stayed there for a semester and had an amazing time) China, Australia, Chile, the UK, the Philippines, and the Galapagos Islands. There are others as well, but those are the countries and cultures I'd really like to experience.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    My current list of places I've never been to, but really want to, is as follows (in no particular order):

Australia
    New Zealand
    USA (esp. New York, LA, Hawaii, Grand Canyon)
    Canada
    Kenya
    South Africa
    China
    Japan
    Tibet
    Italy
    Greece
    Russia
    Argentina
    Equador (or some other country in Middle America with lots of Inca traditions and stuff)

...and many others, but those are the main ones.

I'm going to Thailand in March, which - believe it nor not - will be my first trip to Asia.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    There are SO MANY places I want to go! I'll be crossing one off this year with Kenya, and my next two big targets are China and somewhere in South America... Argentina, Brazil, Peru or Chile perhaps. But where's the money going to come from?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Oooooh!

I asked this before, and now it is here! Thank you!

Here's my report from China
    http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … es/#Item_6
    http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … s/#Item_14

Norway
    http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … es/#Item_1
    http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … es/#Item_7

And I want to go to
    - Norway again
    - Finland/Sweden/Iceland
    - Algarve (Portugal) and some parts of Spain
    - Balkan
    - Moskou
    - Australia/New Zealand
    - Bolivia
    - Canada
    - Japan
    - Yunnan (China)
    - Tibet

Our next trip will be from the North of Laos (Luang Prabang) to Phnom Phen (Cambodia), with an obvious visit to the holy Angkor Wat! punk Why this? Well, one of my best friends is on a Round the World trip, and we'll (a friend here, and myself) meet him in Bangkok.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    COOl!
    It's always the best to just be able and hook on!

Moneywise it's mean a lean few years as far as holidays are concerned: I never left Europe.
    A bit of Portugal, various trips to Spain and Greece, and that's about it.

I yearn for another trip to Brazil.
    I'd love to visit the Big Apple as well.
    Asia never held much interest for me, I have to admit. shame

On short notice I'll probably have to make do with a week's worth of Tenerife to get my sun quota back up to Worrisome (from Apocalyptically Non-Existent). But I have enough days saved now for a proper trip later in the year!
    cool
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. David wrote
    I just made plans to travel to Budapest during my spring break this year and I was curious if anyone from the area has suggestions on must see and eat destinations. Unfortunately I will only be staying for a week just to give you an idea of how long I'll be there.

I spent a couple of days in Budapest at a meeting - staying at one of the hotels on Margaret Island (Margitsziet) which sits in the middle of the River Danube.

A couple of places I'd recommend would be to take a look at Heroes' Square. I can't remember where exactly it is. All I remember is that we kept driving past it on the way to somewhere. And I'd certainly recommend a trip throught the Castle District (with Buda Castle). It's a good place to have a walk around in with it's narrow streets giving an Olde Worlde feel to the place. And if I remember right there's some good views of the City and the Danube. (It's interesting to see how the old parts of the city jar against the areas that are a lot more modern/Eastern block in style.

I'd also recommend the Mátyás Pince (Mathias Cellar) restaurant (http://www.cityhotels.hu/eng/mathias_ce … ption.html). Again, if memory serves, this is an excellent restaurant and it was where we saw live music (folk/gypsy music). I've no idea of costs as this was an organised event during the meeting but it may be worth going for a "special occasion."
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    TIBET

I'd love to visit Tibet and once got as close as a Travel agent in Katmandu to booking a flight ( it's less than an hour to Llasa from Katmandu ), in the end I didn't bother for political reasons.

Geographically I've been to Tibet, walking across part of the plateau in Nepal's Annapurna region, a place so awesomely beautiful it defies mere description. As for Tibetan culture you won't get better than Dharmashala in the Himalayan foothills of Northern India, home of the exiled Dalai Lama and where Tibetans can practice their way of life without the oppressive stare of Chinese eyes. It's a stunning place, like a cross between Lost Horizon and Black Narcisus and one of the most memorable places I've ever been.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You will need to watch your step though: I had some colleagues coming back from a backpacking trip through Tibet and (I think?) Nepal with a very nasty bug, which -as far as I know- still plagues them to this day, six years later!

The idiots probably thought themselves in Disneyland rather then actively on the other side of the world, as they had had some milk shakes sold on a local street corner somewhere in Tibet.
    How lovely.
    How quaint.
    How STUPID!
    slant

I am constantly amazed at the amount of people who actually can afford major and intricate travels...and still treat everything they see as if in the comfort of their own living room.

That said, that does remind me that there are parts of India I'd really like to see: I 'm working closely together with some peope from India and they tell some wonderful stories.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    What kind of bug Martijn?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Stomach bug.
    It was pretty serious too: both of them neede to be hospitalized for a long period. The woman was even held in quarantaine for some weeks!

They were both out of commission for the better part of a year.
    I've lost contact now, but last thing I heard was that they were still under observation (and still troubled by symptoms like diarrhea and aches...years later! sad )
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Wow, that's bad. confused

As for costs, true, not cheap. I try to travel cheap though. Hostels, tents, sharing costs, ... I don't need much luxury though, I'm amazed at people who can travel multiple times a year.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    My problem is that I DO need luxury. Which is why I'm unlikely to ever come close to visiting all the places I want.

(I previously mentioned my top two targets, and I guess India would be the third member of that twosome - such a fascinating country. I imagine - as with China - it would take many visits to do it justice.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Stomach bug.
    It was pretty serious too: both of them neede to be hospitalized for a long period. The woman was even held in quarantaine for some weeks!

They were both out of commission for the better part of a year.
    I've lost contact now, but last thing I heard was that they were still under observation (and still troubled by symptoms like diarrhea and aches...years later! sad )

Sounds nasty! I'm guessing it was some kind of Lhasi type drink? Yogurt / milk based stuff. I say you can't go to these countries walking on eggshells scared to try anything, eating and drinking as the locals do shouldn't be a problem, water is the main culprit, always buy it bottled ( and check the top to make sure it hasn't been tampered with....some unscrupulous people will re-fill empty bottles to re-sale slant ) or make sure it's boiled....and at high altitude boiled for longer as water boils at a lower temperature up high.

To me it sounds like your friends got very VERY unlucky but I wouldn't call them stupid.

For stupid I think of the hippie types I saw bathing in the Ganges in Varanasi, India, copying Indian holy men by bathing and inbibing the water....and believe me, EVERYTHING is in that river, not least rotting human corpses.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    My problem is that I DO need luxury. Which is why I'm unlikely to ever come close to visiting all the places I want.

(I previously mentioned my top two targets, and I guess India would be the third member of that twosome - such a fascinating country. I imagine - as with China - it would take many visits to do it justice.)

Same here. This is why i literally hate camping!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Sounds nasty! I'm guessing it was some kind of Lhasi type drink? Yogurt / milk based stuff.

I don't know. They said it was a "milkshake"... they may well have meant a Lhasi.

I say you can't go to these countries walking on eggshells scared to try anything, eating and drinking as the locals do shouldn't be a problem

I may be a bit more careful than you: I always keep in mind that I am not a local and simply haven't built up the same resistance/tolerance against whatever is prevalent or local there.

A middle-eastern girl friend of mine got painfully and violently ill here in The Netherlands due to a bacterial infection we Westerners are as good as immune against, but especially people from arid regions fall prone to by the bushel!

water is the main culprit

WORD!
    AND -and people sometimes forget this- its variants...like ICE!
    It may not be the soda pop making you ill...it may be the ice cubes in it!!!

For stupid I think of the hippie types I saw bathing in the Ganges in Varanasi, India, copying Indian holy men by bathing and inbibing the water....and believe me, EVERYTHING is in that river, not least rotting human corpses.

vomit vomit vomit vomit vomit
    (And that's if they're lucky... slant )
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    David, as a Hungarian, I just can suggest to visit other places in Hungary beside Budapest because there are much nicer places in Hungary (Pécs, Szeged, Eger or Lake Balaton and its hills for instance). I, myself, don't like Budapest that much but there are some nice places to see there too: the castle of Buda, the King Matthias church and all of the Castle Quarter; Margit Island is in the middle of the Danube and the city and it's a nice little place too. If you can walk the old streets of the Buda Hills you can see very nice houses, nature and view. But I definitely prefer the other regions of the country. Anyway, have a nice trip to Hungary!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    keky wrote
    David, as a Hungarian, I just can suggest to visit other places in Hungary beside Budapest because there are much nicer places in Hungary (Pécs, Szeged, Eger or Lake Balaton and its hills for instance). I, myself, don't like Budapest that much but there are some nice places to see there too: the castle of Buda, the King Matthias church and all of the Castle Quarter; Margit Island is in the middle of the Danube and the city and it's a nice little place too. If you can walk the old streets of the Buda Hills you can see very nice houses, nature and view. But I definitely prefer the other regions of the country. Anyway, have a nice trip to Hungary!

One of my life goals is to visit all the countries of my home continent (in addition to setting a foot in all the others), and Hungary is on my wish list. So thanks for the recommendations!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    Thanks Kalman and Alan -- that gives me a general idea of some of the places I might want to visit. Kalman, since I'm only there for a week, do you have one place outside of Budapest you think I should go above all others (Pécs, Szeged, Eger or Lake Balaton)?

Bregt wrote
    Wow, that's bad. confused

As for costs, true, not cheap. I try to travel cheap though. Hostels, tents, sharing costs, ... I don't need much luxury though, I'm amazed at people who can travel multiple times a year.

Yeah, I don't really need luxury either which makes it much easier. I stayed in group hostels while in Japan. Great places to meet people from around the world around my same age. In one of the places I stayed, there was me from the US, a guy from the UK, China, Korea, Holland and I think two guys from Ireland in the same room. Lot's of fun. They aren't the nicest places, but I really only need a place to sleep and shower.
  2. Thor wrote
    keky wrote

One of my life goals is to visit all the countries of my home continent (in addition to setting a foot in all the others), and Hungary is on my wish list. So thanks for the recommendations!

Been in Poland already?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2009
    We will probably go away this year again with the family we went to Czech Republic with last year.

We thought they wanted to go there again but they are thinking of either Czech Republic, Schwitzerland, Italy or Poland. I haven´t found the shared criteria yet, perhaps nature...

help, something happened to my keyboard, I can´t use question marks anymore... ===`±±±|^¨*¨|^ ==
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Been in Poland already?

Amazingly, no! Amazing because it's not that far from Norway, and the airplane tickets are cheap. When it gets warmer, I'll probably take a trip to Warzaw or Krakow or something.

It's only like 400 NOK one way (about $60) with the airline Norwegian. That's cheap.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. If you come to Poland (any of you members, anyway) write me a message here or Facebook, I could meet up in Warsaw and show a bit! If i have enough time, I could be some kind of a guide anyway.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    If you come to Poland (any of you members, anyway) write me a message here or Facebook, I could meet up in Warsaw and show a bit! If i have enough time, I could be some kind of a guide anyway.

That's awesome! I'll keep that in mind.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2009
    Me too.

Perhaps you could convince us of coming to Poland.
    Why don't you give us a short presentation Pawel? Why should we go there?
    wink