• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2009
    Not sure if this is the right thread to post it, but here goes.

Here's a little report from my trip to Southeast Asia, if anyone's interested. I'm expecting Bregt to give HIS story when he returns, since I'm sure we've done some similar things.

After a 14-hour flight, we arrived in Bangkok, where we spent a couple of nights first (mostly at midrange inns). Like so many other tourists, we stayed in the Khosan Road area, a place teeming with smells, sounds, neon lights and a sizzling atmosphere, especially in the evenings. Fantastic sensory stimuli! We saw some basic sights; getting a view from Thailand's tallest building, a river cruise, the gigantic Siam shopping mall and one of the lavish temples (wats). Then we drank....LOTS of beer. I've always liked the Singha (pronounced "Singh"), but the Chang was pretty good too. And lots of drinks, of course..."Sex on the Beach", "Mai Tai", mojitos, you name it. The regular places usually close at 1 or 2, but it's easy to find more local, underground places that keep on going to the wee hours of the morning if you want to - either through some locals you've hooked up with or the hundreds of the energetic tuk-tuk drivers that stand around the exit area at closing time (who will recommend anything from sleazy prostitute joints to respectable discos, only the latter of which we were obviously interested in).

From Bangkok, we took a plane to Krabi in the South and stayed there for a night. Not a lot of things happening here as it's mostly just a passing-through point for travellers going to the islands, but once again we ended up in a local after-party thing, this time a special karaoke place or event where each group could get separate rooms - not for sleazy things, but for singing karaoke! There were a couple of other tourists there as well, but for the most part, this was an underground Thai place.

The next day, we took the boat to Ko Phi Phi Don, one of the most popular islands outside Krabi/Phuket, which was one of the most unfortunate victims of the tsunami a few years ago. We had expected a somewhat laidback place with a few bungalows and a pub or two, but this place has really grown since then and I'm sorry to say - not necessarily for the better. There are more restaurants and pubs than your heart desires, including two noisy beach discos, one of which was appropriately named Ibiza bar (appropriate because this now looks like Ibiza when it first started up). I'm not averse to these things myself, but to wade through hordes of tourists - mostly young, tan, wellbuilt swedes - sort of took some of the "authenticity" out of the exotic island experience. However, we rented a longtail boot one day and cruised out to sister island and national park Ko Phi Phi Leh. This was much better, we did some fine snorkling and visited the same beach where the Leonardo di Caprio film THE BEACH was filmed.

Then it happened. My worst travel enemy struck once again - i.e. my very own stomach! We had to prolong our stay at Phi Phi for 3-4 days while I was coping with this (mostly just lying in the hotel room and/or the beach), and had to drop our planned trip to East coast party island Ko Samui.

On the other hand, this opened up for a shorter visit to Cambodia, which we had initially planned, but then discarded. So when I was feeling more or less up for it, we took the boat to Phuket, went to a travel agency, took a plane to Bangkok and directly to Phnom Penh, the capital of Cambodia, where we arrived in the evening. This is a quite different country from Thailand. Poorer, with less infrastructure and more visible poverty. Not as developped. Quite fascinating, but also a "wake-up" call to see this kind of poverty up close (and certainly puts our own luxury hobby here in another perspective). Since this was an impulse trip, we knew nothing about the country, not even the currency. But we bought a Lonely Planet, booked in at a recommended place and went for walk in the city. The riverfront area is the most popular to tourists, but we went to some markets here and there to get the right "vibe". Like Bangkok, this was also full of impressions - colours, life, traffic, noise.

The next day, we took a river boat up the Mekong River to the Tonle Sap Sea and Siem Reap, the "base city" for people visiting Angkor Wat. This was an interesting experience. A fast boat at about 20 knops, but with no outside rails or security to speak of. Amazing that no one fell overboard during its 6-hour duration. But it also allowed us to see parts of rural Cambodia - small villages and townships in and by the riverside. Siem Reap was a fine little city as well, but clearly shaped by the increase in Angkor Wat tourist stream (with its own "pub street" and everything).

As for Angkor Wat, it was obviously an impressive piece of architecture. Massive in scope, very much like the Egypt pyramids. However, I can't help but feel a bit let-down - I guess mostly because of the massive tourist number (making it out to be more of an amusement park) and the "adapted" ruins and wats themselves, with wooden floorboards and sloppy restoration work here and there.

Anyways, we returned to Bangkok a couple of days later (we had no time for visiting the Killing Fields, unfortunately), made time for one more party (where I spent far more money than I should....I think I had a blackout!), and then flew back to Oslo via Amsterdam. I'm now totally jetlagged and need to sleep.

All in all, a great trip, and I'm definitely going back to Southeast Asia - perhaps on a more extended roundtrip to the whole region - Laos, Singapore, Vietnam, Malaysia, perhaps even Burma etc. If you know how to steer away from the worst tourist traps - or at least put in time for MORE than just that - you'll be in for a treat. The prices are great for "rich" Westerners like us, the people are nice, the heat is welcome and the nature can be pretty awesome.

I'll put out a few pictures on facebook when I get the time.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2009
    Aaaah, great to see you managed to visit Angkor then! How did it reflect upon the story you wrote?

A pity to have that stomach pain. You have that regularly then? My pharmacist prescribed a intestines 'enriching' product for China, perfectly bioproof etc (as in healthy), not sure if it really helped, but perhaps an idea for next time? One capsule a day, unleashing millions of good vitamins and bacteria for your intestines.

And karaoke? Those Asians. wink biggrin

Thanks for the quick report. Looking forward to the pictures. smile

We also want to stay away from the tourists traps (what a great word), but since it's our first trip there, I'm sure we wouldn't even know if we were in one.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2009
    Great report Thor, sounds a little bit different to when I was there.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2009 edited
    Bregt wrote
    Aaaah, great to see you managed to visit Angkor then! How did it reflect upon the story you wrote?

Well, it was quite difficult to get the right "feel" for the place when there were so many tourists everywhere, plus I don't really remember much of the story I wrote, but I'd definitly like to revisit it to see if it "fits". Guess it's stowed away in an attic somewhere. smile

A pity to have that stomach pain. You have that regularly then? My pharmacist prescribed a intestines 'enriching' product for China, perfectly bioproof etc (as in healthy), not sure if it really helped, but perhaps an idea for next time? One capsule a day, unleashing millions of good vitamins and bacteria for your intestines.

Sounds smart. You should have stuff for any kind of stomach mishap on these trips (whether it's constipation, which is my "long-distance travel" syndrome, or the opposite). It's strange, though, because after a couple of weeks, you seem to adjust to the different bacteria culture.

Speaking of which, I was thankfully spared the other "health problem" I talked about earlier, except for one day, the horrible, 6-hour bus trip returning from Siem Reap to Phnom Penh (when it kicked in, I was hung over, dehydrated, sleep-deprivated and naseous - much due to the insane driving - so it's not that strange).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote

Yeah. My travel buddy had been there in 2006, and it was quite different from that time as well. Seems a bit like progress gone wild or with too few restrictions. Hope they will be able to put a lid on it - at least to a certain extent.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

Yeah. My travel buddy had been there in 2006, and it was quite different from that time as well. Seems a bit like progress gone wild or with too few restrictions. Hope they will be able to put a lid on it - at least to a certain extent.

though I spent over 3 Months in Thailand it was way back in 1989-1990 so I'm sure I'd notice a lot of big changes if I went now!? Considering that back then I'd flown into Thailand straight from Nepal it seemed like civilisation in comparison, it also seemed incredibly expensive compared with Nepal ( took some adjusting to realise it was still unbelievably cheap ), as an example we paid the equivalent of 50 pence ( about $1.00 at a time when it was $2.00 = £1.00 ) for a hut on Phi Phi, how much did you pay there?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Thanks for a great account of the trip, Thor! Sounds like a lot of fun!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

though I spent over 3 Months in Thailand it was way back in 1989-1990 so I'm sure I'd notice a lot of big changes if I went now!? Considering that back then I'd flown into Thailand straight from Nepal it seemed like civilisation in comparison, it also seemed incredibly expensive compared with Nepal ( took some adjusting to realise it was still unbelievably cheap ), as an example we paid the equivalent of 50 pence ( about $1.00 at a time when it was $2.00 = £1.00 ) for a hut on Phi Phi, how much did you pay there?

Yikes! Those were different times indeed. We got a 2-bed room in a guest house for about 1000 Bahts a day after some serious haggling....and that's still about $30 a day!! For this kind of room (with A/C), this was among the cheapest on the whole island. We saw hotels, resorts and bungalows for as much as 3000 Bahts a day ($85). Phi Phi is MUCH more expensive than Bangkok, and - in fact - most other places in Thailand. Still, it's dirt cheap compared to Norwegian prices.

I understand that Laos is 50 percent cheaper than Bangkok, and I can imagine that Nepal is even cheaper.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    BhelPuri wrote

It was. By the way, my buddy and I talked about a similar trip next year (if our Route 66 cross-American car trip falls through), namely to Goa in your neck of the woods. That hopefully means some excursions to other parts of India as well. Where do you live?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Thor wrote
    BhelPuri wrote

It was. By the way, my buddy and I talked about a similar trip next year (if our Route 66 cross-American car trip falls through), namely to Goa in your neck of the woods. That hopefully means some excursions to other parts of India as well. Where do you live?

punk
    That would be cool too! BTW there's an autorickshaw challenge that might be fun to do-
    http://rickshawchallenge.com/

I haven't done much travelling in India. I've only been to the pilgrim places in south India. And the Taj Mahal. Lots of more places to see sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    BhelPuri wrote
    I've only been to the pilgrim places in south India. And the Taj Mahal. Lots of more places to see sad

Same here, actually. I especially want to visit North and North-eastern areas like Himachal Pradesh and Uttaranchal, the mountains and valleys are gorgeous.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Great travel diary, Thor (but still good to have you back, without too many incidents smile ).
    Looking greatly forward to the photos! cool

How was the annoyance of being accosted by ladies of lesser moral, or of lesser finance and a monomaniacal wish to snare a blonde hsband? I understand that is still rife in most major cities?

Thailand never appealed to me, but I'm actually considering South India or Bali for a major trip, maybe even this year!
    I hear that especially in the former the food is excellent...and deadly spicy! eat explode
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    How was the annoyance of being accosted by ladies of lesser moral, or of lesser finance and a monomaniacal wish to snare a blonde hsband? I understand that is still rife in most major cities?

It was actually more prevalent in Cambodia and Phnom Penh, with separate "Red Light" districts all over the place. We had a foot massage in Siem Reap, and the girls flirted enormously with both of us. The girl massaging my friend even asked him if he could take her out for dinner or back to Norway....with a smile, of course, but also a sincere request in there somewhere. We never got the same interest from local girls in Thailand, neither in Bangkok, nor at Phi Phi. Just girls sitting outside their massage parlours, saying "massaaaaage" every time we walked by (or some variation thereof).

Speaking of which, I tried oil massage, foot massage and traditional thai massage. The first two are nice and soothing enough, but don't really have a longterm effect. The thai massage, on the other hand, did. A combination of pain and pleasure, they bend you in all different directions, using their full body weight....I continously suspected that the masseuse must have laughed at my stiff Norwegian limbs that wouldn't go where she wanted them to go, molded as they are by cold winters and lack of workout, but I guess she's used to it. smile

And yeah, Bali is a major attraction to me as well, mostly because a lot of my friends have been there and speak highly of it.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. My parents (on a teacher's schedule with summers off) would take my sisters and I to different countries during the summer. It was so much fun - and we were always on a budget, but that made it even better, because we felt like locals. I remember eating a lot of bread, cheese and yogurt as we went through Italy and France. And I'm blessed enough to be going to Paris this summer with my husband. I'm so thrilled.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Great travel diary, Thor (but still good to have you back, without too many incidents smile ).
    Looking greatly forward to the photos! cool

Thailand never appealed to me, but I'm actually considering South India or Bali for a major trip, maybe even this year!
    I hear that especially in the former the food is excellent...and deadly spicy! eat explode

Indonesia interests me greatly but Bali? Not Bali much.

South India is indeed where it gets spicy ( I presume you mean "HOT" spicy because ALL Indian food is spicy ) according to the many people I've talked about it with, I only went as far south as Goa, everywhere else was surprisingly mild in spice use.

And Thor, I can't wait to see your pics. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Thor wrote
    It was actually more prevalent in Cambodia and Phnom Penh, with separate "Red Light" districts all over the place. We had a foot massage in Siem Reap, and the girls flirted enormously with both of us. The girl massaging my friend even asked him if he could take her out for dinner or back to Norway....with a smile, of course, but also a sincere request in there somewhere. We never got the same interest from local girls in Thailand, neither in Bangkok, nor at Phi Phi. Just girls sitting outside their massage parlours, saying "massaaaaage" every time we walked by (or some variation thereof).

Oh dear.

Speaking of which, I tried oil massage, foot massage and traditional thai massage. The first two are nice and soothing enough, but don't really have a longterm effect. The thai massage, on the other hand, did. A combination of pain and pleasure, they bend you in all different directions, using their full body weight....I continously suspected that the masseuse must have laughed at my stiff Norwegian limbs that wouldn't go where she wanted them to go, molded as they are by cold winters and lack of workout, but I guess she's used to it. smile

That sounds like torture. Perhaps I'll just skip that, since we hd that in mind to do in Cambodia as well.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote

South India is indeed where it gets spicy ( I presume you mean "HOT" spicy because ALL Indian food is spicy )

Yeah, I'm talking Chicken Vindaloo, Lester style!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2009
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote

South India is indeed where it gets spicy ( I presume you mean "HOT" spicy because ALL Indian food is spicy )

Yeah, I'm talking Chicken Vindaloo, Lester style!

Methinks you talk of Chicken Tikka Massala, supposedly invented in Britain?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I certainly am not!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Okay smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    But apparently I did misspell Lister's name. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2009 edited
    Pictures are up, for anyone interested:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 … amp;ref=mf

My friend has a few more that I will have to add later.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2009
    Thor wrote
    Pictures are up, for anyone interested:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 … amp;ref=mf

My friend has a few more that I will have to add later.

Requires a login sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Hmmm...yeah, I guess you have to be a Facebook member.

How about this:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 … 8d90ea8aec
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Super cool! Beautiful waters and temples. Very few people on the beaches, eh?
    The streets look a lot like India.

BTW are those snacks from dead insects? shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2009
    BhelPuri wrote
    Super cool! Beautiful waters and temples. Very few people on the beaches, eh?
    The streets look a lot like India.

BTW are those snacks from dead insects? shocked

Yup, I think they're grasshoppers. And there were actually quite a few people on the Phi Phi beach(es), but I didn't shoot any pictures of that. I try not to get too many tourists in the picture, if possible. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yeah, it's bad enough being a tourist without hammering it home by getting more of the damnable creatures in your frame! wink

Off to bed now, but I'll definitely have a look at the pictures over the weekend, Thor. Thanks for sharing!! wave
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Great pics Thor and I look forward to seeing more, it so made me wanna be back there. Phi Phi is so beautiful and I have great memories of my stay.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2009
    Anyone know what the weather is like in the Mediterranean around December? My brother and I are thinking about a trip this coming Christmas break. Perhaps Italy, Greece, and Egypt?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2009
    David wrote
    Anyone know what the weather is like in the Mediterranean around December? My brother and I are thinking about a trip this coming Christmas break. Perhaps Italy, Greece, and Egypt?

Well, it's not that warm in the European countries. Perhaps some 15 degrees Celsius if you're really lucky. However, Sharm is usually much warmer all year long. I would guess some 25-30 degrees Celsius in December. So that's the place to go if HEAT is the most important thing. Where are you from? The US?
    I am extremely serious.