• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Hey Bregt, welcome back
    I'll bother you with details later on

good to hear from you
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2009
    BobdH wrote
    Woohoo, welcome back! So, did you catch any infectious disease, or did you manage to steer clear from it? tongue

biggrin wink

Welcome back Bregt, I look forward to hearing about your adventures. beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, welcome back, Bregt. Too bad you didn't get to visit Cambodia, but I'm sure there will be other chances. I'm really curious about Laos, though (I heard it was even cheaper than Thailand!), so looking forward to your report!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Bregt wrote
    I'm back. smile

So many things to tell, and I will later on, but it was awesome. Laos (we only managed to visit Laos and a couple of days in Thailand, so no Cambodia, that'll be for an other time) is a fantastic country with such a laid back atmosphere. I want the "Lao Style" to be imported (and Beerlao too!).

More later.

So, what did I miss? Anyone can summarize the major events in film music country? smile

Martijn made a witty remark, Southall showed us his dry humour, Franz caused an uproar, Ravi mentioned The Lion King and I made a derogatory sexual remark. So, business as usual.

Welcome back!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2009
    When do we get to see some pics Bregt!? cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2009 edited
    Welcome back, Bregt! We need pics! biggrin
  2. BhelPuri wrote
    Welcome back, Bregt! We need pics! biggrin

don't push him, or he's gone again wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2009 edited
    Aaah, Laos. What a laid back holiday, even with all the hassle and means of transportation we took during this time. Literally every option was used:

- a slow boat on the khlongs in Bangkok
    - a typical long tail boat on the Tha river in Northern Laos, on which we could barely communicate with our boat man (it was just the three of us, with half a family and loads of goods). We had a home stay with his family in a remote village along the The, that was really an experience!
    - the night train (with funky disco wagon biggrin ) from Bangkok to Lampang (just one stop before Chiang Mai)
    - cycling on te islands of Don Khone and Don Det in the 4000 Islands region in Southern Laos
    - biking with a Suzuki 110cc in and around the Bolaven Plateau in the south and visiting an old pre-Angkorian temple Wat Phou, on dirt tracks and the worst roads ever seen
    - taking the Night Bus of Hell from Vientiane to the south (10 hours trying to fall asleep on a surface not larger than 1,8meter by 50cm)
    - sitting 8 straight hours in a bus with Thai/Lao boysband-like playing in the background, while driving 30km an hour on roads without asphalt, but with loads of turns and manholes
    - tuk-tuk and songtheaw (sort of a pickup truck but with roof, and used a lot as the transportation option for ... everything)
    - walking through the old capital Luang Prabang, and climbing 400 steps to see the sunset over the Mekong on Mount Phou Si (haha!), resulting in sweating all over the place...
    - tripping after my first ever cup of real coffee at 6.30 in the morning, freshly taken from the plantages some days before (Robusta beans, if interested)
    - rolling on the floor after having to many Beerlao bottles (one of the best beers I've ever tasted, seriously). One bottle of 680ml costs about $1.
    - mountainbiking through fantastic limestone landscapes, visiting caves and rapids

I have no idea where to start, but I will use pictures as a guideline, and post them this weekend. Laos is a wonderful country, with awesome people, and while we have seen the poorness and the rich, the harsh differences with our luxury, what most will be remember by me and my friends, was the laid back atmosphere. Obviously, this is part of the fact that there are less obligations than here because of the nation's current state, but also because of the people who just take things more like they come. I probably sound ridiculous concerning that I was just a tourist there, for 3 weeks, and I can never understand/experience the real Lao, and I certainly cannot express it.
    Kazoo
  3. doesn't sound like it would be for me, but I'm glad you enjoyed yourself smile
    once again, glad to have you back
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2009
    Sounds like a fantastic time Bregt! Totally my kinda thing cool beer

Looking forward to the pics.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    - a slow boat on the khlongs in Bangkok

We considered this, but skipped it. Was it worth it?

- sitting 8 straight hours in a bus with Thai/Lao boysband-like playing in the background, while driving 30km an hour on roads without asphalt, but with loads of turns and manholes

Ha, ha, sounds like our trip from Siem Reap to Phnom Penh in Cambodia. Only swap the boyband thing with wacky Cambodian sit-coms on the TV with maximum volume.

Anyway, just from the brief points you mention, it sounds like a very cool trip. Totally my thing too! I'm glad you got to experience lots of AUTHENTIC stuff, like living with a family etc. (and not just the tourist traps).

Waiting anxiously for pictures! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    You know, i was reading Bregt's sum up and was thinking that i only know 2 real explorers in my life: Timmer and Bregt! punk beer Sadly, i am not like that; i want my basic luxury and comforts wherever i go, and most importantly good food, NOT SWEATING or FREEZING my ass off and daily shower. I know these deprive of REAL experiences as the one Bregt and you doubtlessly had but i am one of those people who enjoy immensely reading about those; not exactly experiencing them first-hand!

Bregt wrote
    - taking the Night Bus of Hell from Vientiane to the south (10 hours trying to fall asleep on a surface not larger than 1,8meter by 50cm)

I was waiting to see such a sentence while reading your sum! I thought those only existed in movies! freezing Didn't you crap yourself?!

- tripping after my first ever cup of real coffee at 6.30 in the morning, freshly taken from the plantages some days before (Robusta beans, if interested)

WANT!:sigh: Now let's see how you'll get used to crappy, conventional western Jacobs-style coffee after that!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2009 edited
    I can understand the luxury thing. We mostly had a shower each day, though cold water obviously, and most of the times there was electricity during the day. Roads are half of the times just bad and bumpy for lots of kilometres.

But we also had the occasional splurging. wink Because everything is cheap you can stay at a more luxurious place, but even then, it's still not the standards we're used to. We stayed two nights in a beautiful bungalow, with soft mattresses (not that evident in Laos), along the Ou river in Nong Khiaw, surrounded by limestone mountains and a fabulous sight. We each paid 10$ a night, including breakfast. It's decadent in a way, but sometimes, you just want that. smile

I think luxury is not that important anyway. If you are in good company talkng about the crazy events of the past day (and with some beer), then most of the times having a bathroom where the toilet, shower and washing table are not separated from each other, gecko's rest on the wall and all sorts of insects are attracted by the porch light, are so relative anyway. smile

But there definitely was good food, especially the Thai influenced dishes. You can never go wrong with fried rice/noodle dishes, and it seldom tops Pat Thai. Delicious!!!! I had one of my Pat Thai in the half of a pineapple shell!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    beer

How about......babes? wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2009
    Christodoulides wrote
    beer

How about......babes? wink

I can't speak for Laos byt the Thais are gorgeous. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Oh yes! love

And they all look 5 years younger than they are, which is hard when you've to guess their age.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Bregt wrote
    Oooooh!

I asked this before, and now it is here! Thank you!

Here's my report from China
    http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … es/#Item_6
    http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … s/#Item_14

Norway
    http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … es/#Item_1
    http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … es/#Item_7

And I want to go to
    - Norway again
    - Finland/Sweden/Iceland
    - Algarve (Portugal) and some parts of Spain
    - Balkan
    - Moskou
    - Australia/New Zealand
    - Bolivia
    - Canada
    - Japan
    - Yunnan (China)
    - Tibet

Our next trip will be from the North of Laos (Luang Prabang) to Phnom Phen (Cambodia), with an obvious visit to the holy Angkor Wat! punk Why this? Well, one of my best friends is on a Round the World trip, and we'll (a friend here, and myself) meet him in Bangkok.

Hi Bregt,

Do you have any idea of visiting to my country INDIA?
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2009 edited
    Bregt wrote
    Oh yes! love

And they all look 5 years younger than they are, which is hard when you've to guess their age.

I guess you must have been somewhat of a magnet over there, being a blond, tall westerner?
    I don't know myself, but reports from (blond, male) friends seem to suggest you aren't lacking for attention in them thar parts with physical attributes like those.

Thai and Laotian girls are indeed quite beautiful, but (in general) too petite to my taste.
    (That said I'm dark haired so I guess I wouldn't be particularly interesing to them either! biggrin )
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    As a dark haired person I can tell you that, oh yes they WILL be interested in you Martijn! cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Sunil wrote
    Bregt wrote
    Oooooh!

I asked this before, and now it is here! Thank you!

Here's my report from China
    http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … es/#Item_6
    http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … s/#Item_14

Norway
    http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … es/#Item_1
    http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … es/#Item_7

And I want to go to
    - Norway again
    - Finland/Sweden/Iceland
    - Algarve (Portugal) and some parts of Spain
    - Balkan
    - Moskou
    - Australia/New Zealand
    - Bolivia
    - Canada
    - Japan
    - Yunnan (China)
    - Tibet

Our next trip will be from the North of Laos (Luang Prabang) to Phnom Phen (Cambodia), with an obvious visit to the holy Angkor Wat! punk Why this? Well, one of my best friends is on a Round the World trip, and we'll (a friend here, and myself) meet him in Bangkok.

Hi Bregt,

Do you have any idea of visiting to my country INDIA?

EVERYONE should visit India at least once! cool

And Bregt, if you want to see Tibetan culture being practised freely and without fear then the Northern Indian hill station of McLeod Ganj ,Dhamasala in Himachal Pradesh is the place to go.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Also Manali and Mount Abu in Rajasthan. The temples down South are really lovely too.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DemonStar wrote
    Also Manali and Mount Abu in Rajasthan. The temples down South are really lovely too.

How could I forget the glorious valleys and mountains of Manali cool

Unfortunately I never made it to Rajasthan......next time!?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I myself want to visit Rajasthan sometime. Lovely place with excellent traditional culture!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DemonStar wrote
    I myself want to visit Rajasthan sometime. Lovely place with excellent traditional culture!

How long is a road journey to Rajasthan from Delhi? I remember the journey to Manali was so hellishly long that I was hallucinating from sleep deprivation by the time we arrived.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    There's a train you need to take as far as I know. The journey is quite longer than Manali too because Rajasthan is much farther towards the west. I think probably a flight to there would be better.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DemonStar wrote
    There's a train you need to take as far as I know. The journey is quite longer than Manali too because Rajasthan is much farther towards the west. I think probably a flight to there would be better.

Indeed! Depending on time constraints I prefer overland travel, I like to watch the world go by and get that sense of distance....even if it does mean feeling like shit at the end of it.

p.s. Are India's roads any better nowadays?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I don't know about India. I heard so many different views about it, from co-travelers. The ones who stayed long, loved it, the others mostly hated it, unless you do the obvious tourist route, because then you'll love it too. dizzy
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Timmer wrote
    p.s. Are India's roads any better nowadays?

They're better in larger Metro cities like Delhi and Mumbai. But out here in Lucknow the condition of most roads is atrocious, they break down whenever it rains after a hot period and they're also irregularly leveled so the lower parts get flooded with water. They've started working on making them better recently, though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Good place to be if you're a civil engineer then?