• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2013 edited
    Well well. On those pictures I did not see a single palm tree. The one that is on those retired on a cemetery and was dead, so that doesn't count. Just saying. I'm sure you'll love northern scenery too in the end, although there might be too many palm trees for you.

I must say that I remember Rome as a very hectic city. I don't recall the state of these buildings, some are magnificent though, like the Pantheon.

Besides that, the report was a joy to read. Thanks a lot. I'd like Athens I think.
    And I'm really happy you got to meet with Stavi! Very cool! cheesy punk
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2013
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    For future reference, knowing your need for palm trees, a visit to the West coast of Scotland looks on the cards at some point?

Plockton and its palm trees

Eating sheep's bladder filled with oats and washed down with a deep fried Mars bar may spoil the whole tropics feel don't you think? wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2013
    Did you see my 'Cthulhu lunch' picture? slant
    It can't possibly be worse.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2013
    I'm presuming it didn't taste great? ( it doesn't look appetising I must say ) I remember a Cthulu style meal in Portugal was fabulous.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2014 edited
    Not really 'world travelling', but in a few hours I'm heading off to Tromsø in the North again, for the annual Tromsø International Film Festival (TIFF). This year, I will be interviewing visiting directors every day in the foyer of the Culture House -- an event that is both televised and with an audience:

http://www.tiff.no/en/seminars/film-talks

(it's my editor in the photo above from last year's Film Talks; I'll be taking his job this year).

I'm still not totally free of the cold, but it should be great nonetheless. It's a very "dramatic" city jammed between high mountain peaks all around, maybe Northern Lights (depending on weather) and long stretches of darkness. Maybe I'll post the links to the international interviews here once they're posted online.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2014
    Very cool Thor! Quite a 'big job' then? Good luck.

As for the city, it looks spectacular. Is this all on the island too?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregt wrote
    Very cool Thor! Quite a 'big job' then? Good luck.

As for the city, it looks spectacular. Is this all on the island too?

Island?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Yes, when I google for pictures of the city, I often see a bridge connecting an island. On Google Maps it seems it's on an island. smile
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2014 edited
    Ah yes. Well, most of the inner city is on the mainland, but some parts are across the bridge, including the famous "Ishavskatedral" ("Ice Ocean Cathedral").

I've been there 3 (4?) years in a row now, but I've yet to experience this:

http://img.akam.no/895/895515/original.jpg
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Sitting at the new airport terminal now. Geezes, I had to WALK for 10 minutes to get there from the main terminal! Imagine that! There's actually an interesting topics there -- the biggest and most cumbersome airports you've been to. I have quite a few stories, as I'm sure do most of you. For later....
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    There's been a lot of solar activity recently so you may well get some good Northern Lights?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I hope so! I'm not sure if it has to do with solar activity or weather conditions....
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Chiefly it has to do with the sun. Sun flares send highly energetic particles into space. Earth's magnetic field shilds us from most of these particles. Yet some get into the atmosphere along the magnatic "lines" that center at the magnetic north pole. The lights you see are the result of the atmosphere getting "ionised" (?).

I am not used to express myself in English about such things. I hope what I said makes any sense at all.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    I hope so! I'm not sure if it has to do with solar activity or weather conditions....

Auroras are caused by interactions of charged particles (caused by 'coronal mass ejections' from the sun) colliding with ions -charged particles- of oxygen and nitrogen in the ionosphere. The ions' electrons absorb and emit energy, and that's why we see a magnificent display of colours in the sky.

Science.
  2. Timmer wrote
    There's been a lot of solar activity recently so you may well get some good Northern Lights?

Liz Bonnin was in Tromsø last week for the BBC show Stargazing Live and had spectacular views of the Northern Lights. It looked fantastic. Regardless of this spectacular show, there's something I find magical in just seeing snow in the dark. I used to spend ages looking out of my bedroom window when I was a child, looking at how bright it was in the middle of the night when there was a thick covering of snow on the ground.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    That should bode well, then. I just arrived, and I'm afraid there are no signs of Northern lights....yet. Maybe tomorrow (temps are expected to reach -20 C, with clear skies).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2014
    So me and a buddy of mine is off to Edinburgh in a month for a 2 1/2 day holiday. Never been to Scotland at all. Any Scots (Alan?) who can recommend things to do and see here?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2014 edited
    Thor wrote
    So me and a buddy of mine is off to Edinburgh in a month for a 2 1/2 day holiday. Never been to Scotland at all. Any Scots (Alan?) who can recommend things to do and see here?

What are your plans in terms of travelling when you are in Edinburgh? Do you want to stay in and around the city or do you want to spend any time at all travelling anywhere?

The obvious place to visit would be Rose Street (parallel to Princes Street) - it has a large number of bars and pubs.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2014
    We'll be staying in the old town and exploring from there. So no out-of-city trips this time, I think. Rose Street sounds nice; I see it's located in New Town. I thought that was just a residential area for the most part?
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Rose Street is partly residential but it does have the largest concentration of pubs in the city.
  4. Hi guys,

It's been way too long since I've been online here. So I'm trying to make up now, by posting at least on some different threads. So this one first.

I'm planning on traveling to Sweden for the first time. In little under two weeks, I'm going up to Stockholm as one of my best friends, Tine, is getting married. And as she moved to Stockholm, it's there that I have to go.

Any pointers on what I could see/visit while being in Stockholm?

Elin
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2014
    How was the trip Elin? Apart from some delays with the carrier, everything was smooth and sunny I had the idea. wink

I just booked a return ticket to Bucharest for mid June because Cristian, a friend of his and I will be undertaking a new hike for 5 days. It's in the Retezat mountains in South West Romania, part of the mighty Carpathian range. It's one of Europe's last wildernesses apparently and it has lots of glacial lakes all over the mountains. and our Romanian member hasn't been there himself either. Will be cool and a lot longer then last year. smile
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    That's my kind of terrain Bregt. cool
  5. Ooh, I like it. Looks a bit like Snowdonia, but much more rugged and isolated. Jealous! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Looks kinda like Jotunheimen in Norway too.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ugh. Horrid.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Not enough umbrella drinks and sandals for ya, Martijn?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2014
    Martijn wrote
    Ugh. Horrid.

Pah! Mortal!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2014 edited
    Just returned from a long weekend in Edinburgh with a friend of mine. Terribly hung over.

It's basically three days of drinking and binging on unhealthy foods, but I still love it!

We managed to do most of the touristy stuff -- visit Edinburgh castle, the HMS Britannia (the Queen's old ship which is now a museum), the Shore/Leith, Calton Hill, New Town, Grassmarket etc.. Yesterday, we hiked up the steep hill to Arthur's Seat -- a terribly exhausting hike after two days of heavy partying. But it was well worth it for the views.

On Saturday, May 17th, Norway celebrated its 200th anniversary of our Constitution -- a massive day in Norway, but we danced to our own tunes, literally.

Amazingly, I never got to sing karaoke.

Must recuperate now.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Great that you had a great time in Edinburgh.

I do have a question Thor. I see that you wore little rosette-style celebrations for your country's 200th anniversary. Were you at all mistaken either as a candidate for the upcoming European elections or a Rangers supporter?