• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2014
    popcorn
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2014
    Okay, interesting indeed, and quickly checked out some pics, some of it is impressive indeed. Thanks for the info Stavi!

How long will you be away then?
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2014 edited
    No other reason for putting this picture here other than its a great shot and I'm feeling wistful. On the Annapurna circuit I was surprised how many people avoided this part of the trek to take a short cut that knocks off a full days walking, who in their right mind would want to miss a view like this?

The road to KAGBENI

One day I'm gonna drag Bregt up the Himalaya. wink

...or he'll be pushing me in my wheel chair. cheesy
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2014 edited
    I have been on a 10 day holiday in my own city: Gent!

The Gentse Feesten (Ghent Parties) last 10 days. Every square has its own little festival with concerts for free, every theater has special shows or performances, every bar brings in dj's and live performances. Every single day. According to the website, it's about 4000 activities and/or concerts.

All music genres can be heard. I've been to an organ concert in the St Bavo cathedral. I've seen young Ghent bands during a 10 day contest, I've been dancing to the Elvis songs performed by a Black Elvis, I've been dancing folk and boombal, ... Most of it is for free, but the squares count on you that you drink at their bars, which is a very fair deal. There's also a lot, A LOT, of street art performances and shows. I've helped building a cardboard tower of 18m, I've seen dancing spectacles within the walls of the old abbey close to my home, I also followed some guided walks talking about the history of the city or parts of districts, ... My place was also the best apartment to see the fireworks... I was literally laying in a chair and had the fireworks right above us.

My flatmate and I had friends over almost every day which of course added to the fun! I was glad to guide them around and like I did with some of you, show them hidden corners of the city.

So much atmosphere in the city, it's fantastic. I've been to the festival two times for 6+ days but that was 8 years ago. But usually everyone in the region goes at least for one day, myself included the past years. But this edition was much more intense. I know the city a lot better now after these 10 days. It's a unique festival in the world, no city goes as wild as this. What a great 10 days. Thor and Timmer would love this.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2014
    I definitely think I would, and I've been following your tour of the festival on facebook. If there's a future year where the WSA guests are uninteresting, I can substitute the October weekend with a few summer days of this.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2014 edited
    terrible.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/o … ?CMP=fb_gu

It made me think about the time I did the Annapurna circuit. I looked in my old diary from 1989 and see that I was only two days away from going over the Thorung-La pass on this same date. When I did it the weather was great but it's still the coldest I've ever felt in my life. I managed to get three shots off from my old Canon AE 1 SLR camera at the top before it froze and couldn't get it to work after, a bummer considering the beautiful sight of frozen waterfalls and amongst the best of the mountain views on the way down on the other side of the pass, I initially thought my camera was broken in some way but it worked fine again once I'd descended a few hundred meters into warmer weather.

I'm shocked that this tragedy has happened on a hiking route.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2015 edited
    In my three travels to Nepal it adds up to six months. What a beautiful country and I mean scenery and people, of all the places I've travelled it remains my favourite place in the world, spiritual, heartfelt, awesome, a tiny and superlative country. Kathmandu in particular is full of incredibly narrow streets so I can imagine how terrifying this earthquake was, unless you were in one of the open squares ( where many historical monuments collapsed ) it would have been seriously life threatening to be anywhere within the narrow city streets. But most people live amongst the mountains, there'll be a lot of news out of remote areas to come, unfortunately.

I love this country and I'll do what little I can.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2015 edited
    Yes, horrible to see the situation. I didn't knew the country was so poor. A popular destination too here, for people in their 20ies. I think most people know at least someone who's been there. What you have seen must be incredible. Can you see the Himalayas from Kathmandu? That must be the mightiest background of a city on Earth.

However, I also know the country because of the murder of the daughter of my mother's colleague. She disappeared on a popular trail and was found murdered a few days later. The lack of action and compassion from the government was sad. So much tragedy.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2015
    My gods that is awful! Was anyone ever brought to justice for that Bregt?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2015 edited
    No. I read that the stepfather went back to Nepal last week to find out what did happen during her hike. While they were driving to the NP where she was found beheaded., the earth quake took place. He is okay though. I cannot imagine what the mother after all this. I read that a few people have been missing here in this region. Last what I heard was that she was murdered for organs. slant

The local people don't want to participate in the murder case, and so far nothing has happened or no one has been arrested. After the murder, the US Ambassay discouraged to visit the region.

Here's a translated page
    https://translate.google.com/translate? … edit-text=
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2015
    The "organ theft" story pops up regularly (latest we saw it was when two young Dutch students went missing in South America). It's been widely discredited (the medical logistics alone make it quite impossible).
    Debbie's death for all the world looks like a severely botched attempt at robbery, where the robbers were interrupted and had to dispose of the body extremely quickly, without being able to take the loot.

None of which will be any comfort to her family. slant
    What I found disturbing about the whole thing is how tight-lipped an uncooperative the local communities remain to the authorities. The one "good" thing that came out of this gruesome murder (and some additional murders and disqppearences of solitary travelers around the same time), is that's now illegal to travel Nepal without a local guide.
    Bit late.
    But still.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. Heavens! This is horrifying!
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2015 edited
    Off to Lisbon later today for a weekend trip. Everyone says a weekend is too short for this destination (it's a 4-hour flight, after all), and I would have to agree with that, but that's how it is.

Anyone been there? Things to recommend? I've stayed there for 24 hours previously, while waiting for a connecting flight to Rio de Janeiro, but all we did was stay at the hotel, basically.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Can't give any recommendations. Have a great time though! wave
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2015
    Bairro Alto is definitely your place. It's a neighborhood in the center with small streets and an immense large amount of bars. Everyone's in the streets drinking, singing fado, ... Full of atmosphere.

I also loved the old Alfama quarter, which is the old Lisboa. Also a visit to the castle/citadel that overlooks the city is worth it for the views. And try the EU sponsored metro stations. wink
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2015
    Not a big fan of Lisbon. Filthy city (literally: I was sneezing black soot for two days!), but Bairro Alto is quite fun. When I was there I rather enjoyed the Solar Do Vinho Do Porto port tastery, but this was many years ago, and their service apparently has gone *incredibly* down-hill so that in good conscience I *really* couldn't recommend a visit any more!

So, erm, basically I'm no use at all... dizzy
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2015 edited
    Came back from Lisbon yesterday, and am still hung over after three days of partying to 4-5 at night. Will I never learn? I'm almost 40 friggin' years old, and have a liver condition (amazingly not alcohol-related).

Great city, though, and I would definitely like to come back and explore more of the areas around the city itself. Thanks for the tips, btw! We obviously did all of the above (except the Metro).

Only downside is that I lost my cardholder (a custom-designed one at that) with my two (only) bank cards/credit cards as well as the public transportation card for Oslo, containing a fair amount still.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2015
    You always loose something on these trips. dizzy biggrin shame
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Sobriety, patience, marbles... wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregt wrote
    You always loose something on these trips. dizzy biggrin shame

I do. I'm incredibly absent-minded on such things.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    confused

I travelled around the world for over a year and didn't lose anything.

You're a right numpty Thor.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Then you're lucky. Some of us are afflicted with the forgetful gene. It's a real thing, dammit. And it's annoying as shit.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I do have it when it comes to umbrellas. I've left loads behind over the years on public transport, in shops, pubs. It's because its stopped raining while I've been inside somewhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It's weird. I'm VERY obsessive about planning details in advance (day plans, things to do etc.), but when it comes to knowing where your belongings are at all times, I'm totally forgetful. It's the "absent-minded professor gene" in me, I think. My brain is only concerned with the major issues and forgets all about the basics, the "close things".
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Thor wrote
    ...My brain is only concerned with the major issues...

Not things like bank or credit cards? wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    In Norway money is not an issue.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    biggrin
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    One credit card is just enough to buy one round.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2015 edited
    Name the top three countries pr. continent, in ranked order, that you've never been to, but want to (stopovers don't count!).

Mine:

EUROPE:

1. Croatia
    2. Iceland
    3. Ireland

Note that I don't count Russia, Belarus, Ukraine and Turkey. For me, these are Asia.

ASIA:

1. India
    2. China
    3. Malaysia

OCEANIA:

1. Australia
    2. New Zealand
    3. Any of the islands (Fiji, perhaps)

AFRICA:

1. South Africa
    2. Madagascar
    3. Kenya

SOUTH AMERICA:

1. Argentina
    2. Chile
    3. Peru

CENTRAL AMERICA:

1. Costa Rica
    2. Cuba
    3. Mexico

NORTH AMERICA:

1. Canada (the only choice left, as I've been to the US)
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Russia and Turkey OK, but Belarus and Ukraine?!

Mexico is also formally North America!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website