• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2015 edited
    Thor wrote
    Name the top three countries pr. continent, in ranked order, that you've never been to, but want to (stopovers don't count!).

Europe:
    - nope. Been everywhere I wanted to be. Maybe Monaco just for shits and giggles?

Africa:
    - South Africa
    That's it.

South America:
    - Easter Island (So formally that would be Chile)
    - Peru, maybe.
    That's it

North America:
    - Virgin Islands
    - Bahamas
    That's it

Asia:
    - Thailand
    - Vietnam
    - Very, very maybe the UAE

Oceania
    - Are you KIDDING?

The Antarctic
    - Yeah! Cool!

Obviously this doesn't take into account the many countries I'd love to REvisit!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2015
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Mexico is also formally North America!

I wonder how Mexicans feel about losing so much North American territory?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    South America - All of it.

Europe - Iceland, Finland, a few East European countries

Asia - All of it.

...actually pretty much everywhere except shitty arsed countries such as Dubai, Qatar ( I've stopped there so it doesn't count ) UAE and various nasty African countries that no one in their right mind would visit unless they had a death wish.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. The Ukraine is Europe and all those areas that were part of the old Rus of Kiev are too. IMHO
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Thor wrote
    Name the top three countries pr. continent, in ranked order, that you've never been to, but want to (stopovers don't count!).

Since I love to hike, I want my mountains and nature too!

Europe:
    - I love Europe and would like to explore it for the rest of my life, because I love the history and can connect it better. I'd love to visit Georgia (and Armenia), countries that are very old and mix between continents and cultures, and of course the High Kaukasus, the highest mountain chain in Europe.
    - Romania for sure again, I love it
    - Balkan, Macedonia, Montenegro, ALbania
    - but also Northern-Spain, Pyrenees
    - of course Scandinavia, I will go back to Iceland and Norway, and Denmak too
    - Abruzzo in Italy (has anyone been there?)

Africa:
    - Not much. Perhaps Marocco or Kenya.

South America:
    - Not much interest. Perhaps Argentina and Peru.

North America:
    - as for the USA, no real desire here, it's a bit far and also expensive, and I don't find it so interesting (I really have some fear regarding the food!), but certainly San Francisco and Yosemite (not just a picture and one day hike, but really a couple of days), and perhaps cities like New Orleans and Chicago; or a roadtrip that crosses the country
    - Canada for nature, but it all looks so unimaginable vast and far away, that I don't even know where to start, so not so much. And I also want to visit Erik and have a BBQ there!

Asia:
    - Iran, when everything cooled down there, the beginning of time (Iraq is not really an option anytime soon)
    - Japan
    - Any of those hypermodern cities like Tokyo, Seoul, Singapore, Hong Kong

Oceania
    - too far, too expensive

The Antarctic
    - here fjords are in the making, interesting for sure, but some thing should be left alone

But in the end I mainly want to visit regions, not so much countries. And if I can meet up with any of you all, then I try to fit in such plans. The holidays with Cristian in Romania have been fantastic. I also hope to visit Thor's island once, or travel with him together to Copenhague and Für. smile
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Being a bit more specific on Africa I'd particularly love to travel to Ethiopia, Namibia, Tanzania, Kenya and South Africa.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregt wrote:
    ...again....again....again

You didn't read Thor's post properly, did you, my dear globetrotter? wink
    Only places you HAVEN'T been before!!

Timmer wrote
    Ethiopia

I understand the attraction, historically and culturally...but as I have learned from dear friends who have traveled there the juxtaposition of rich (tourists) and poor (pretty much everyone else) is SO pronounced, that there is no way to enjoy this travel in any way that could be called relaxing. It would be interesting and fascinating...but not fun.
    So travel: yes. Holidays: no. (If you know what I mean)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregt wrote
    - Canada ... I also want to visit Erik and have a BBQ there!

yeah
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    Bregt wrote

yeah

Erik and I quarrel about almost everything all the time, but we share ONE common passion: Beer! So I could see us nerding out over that during a BBQ. smile
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Thor wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Bregt wrote

yeah

Erik and I quarrel about almost everything all the time, but we share ONE common passion: Beer! So I could see us nerding out over that during a BBQ. smile

But if we were all at Erik's for a BBQ and you were there too Thor, who would we talk about? wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    yeah
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    James Horner.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. biggrin Well, Thor is drinking lots of beer so we could bitch away while he's on the toilet.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2015
    yeahm tea yeag fuc off. drunk now tomorrow it's another daqy.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2015
    fuck off
    I am extremely serious.
  4. I sign off. wave I'll stay at the Lago di Garda in northern Italy for the next week with senior students of mine.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2015
    fuck off

Oh I do apologise old chap, for a moment the spirit of Thor came upon me.
  5. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2015
    Captain Future wrote
    I sign off. wave I'll stay at the Lago di Garda in northern Italy for the next week

Excellent! Have a marvellous time with sun, wine, culture Sophia Loren Lookalikes and wine (or did I say that?).

with senior students of mine.

Oh. sad
    Commiserations. And good luck.

(Or do they happen to be Sophia Loren lookalikes?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2015 edited
    The majority of my travelling has been in Australia and South East Asia; one of the perks of having an Australian family is that it's a fantastic place to meet up. Just in the past 12 months I've taken separate trips to both Thailand and Indonesia (the latter of which was just incredible). Apart from family holidays to the Mediterranean as a child, my only other exploits have been an extended trip around the Iberian peninsular and Morocco, and a week-long trip to Lithuania (where the girlfriend is from).

Expanding on this, I guess the next places I would like to visit would be the Americas and Africa, although I've always had a longing desire to visit India.
  6. Martijn wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    I sign off. wave I'll stay at the Lago di Garda in northern Italy for the next week

Excellent! Have a marvellous time with sun, wine, culture Sophia Loren Lookalikes and wine (or did I say that?).

with senior students of mine.

Oh. sad
    Commiserations. And good luck.

(Or do they happen to be Sophia Loren lookalikes?)

No alcohol on these vacations I'm afraid. sad
    However they look like, I hope they behave themselves. I think they will. Nice bunch. smile
  7. Home again. All went fine. There was booze of course but little enough that I could overlook it.

Returning home I fond Jurassic World, Jaws 3D, and Jaws: The Revenge waiting for me. Lots of music to explore!

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2015
    I wasn't sure if this should go in the 'hangover' thread or this, but anyway -- in a drunken stupor, I booked a one-week trip to Marocco last night (in November). Yikes! I'll be going with a friend of mine (we've travelled together with other people before, but never just the two of us like this). We fly to Agadir, stay there for a few days, then rent a car and drive to Marrakesh and then after that out to the coast again.

Has anyone ever been there? Right now, it seems to be only 'safe' country in Northern Africa.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yes. I've been there a couple of times.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Cool. Anything to recommend?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yes. Don't stay in Agadir.

For coastal beauty I'd head for Essouria ( I suspect I've spelt that wrong ). Marrakech is one hell of a heady place and I recommend hiring a guide for at least one of your days to guide you around the maze of the Medina and to keep people from bothering you.

There's really only so much you can do in a week but I'd recommend a side trip about an hour or so drive from Marrakech to OUZOUD, I've spotted this location used in a number of films, The Man Who Would Be King in particular and a lot of which was filmed in Morocco.

Any more questions? Be aware that I am recovering from a hell of a nights drinking session. dizzy
  8. Booking a vacation while drunk - now there's a first world problem for you...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2015 edited
    Oh, I dunno. I think it has a certain Ernest Hemingway/Erroll Flynn kinda quality about it.

In a few years I'm sure we'll lament Thor missing, last seen drunkenly driving a motorcycle into a war-torn Zimbabwe mine field, loudly singing a wordless, monotonous tune only much later identified as a Giorgio Moroder action cue.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    He, he....I can see it.

Thanks for the recommendations, Timmer. Not bad with a hangover!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2015
    Cool Thor!

Kaat and I are also looking for a not too far and cheap reachable location in the second week of november. I thought to use Bologna as a base and then train to its neighbouring cities (Modena, Parma, Firenze, Verona) but perhaps that is not all that interesting? An other idea was Granada and a road trip through the Alpujarras... Or Krakau.

But I'm not convinced. Any other ideas?
    Kazoo