• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2015
    Bregt wrote
    Wow. From what you wrote, and the fact that it was 'just' one week, it sounds like a great road trip. Very cool!I'm looking forward to your pictures. A constant during your trips is some type of cold though. wink

Yes, I have a ridiculous body!

Not sure I'll be putting up pics on facebook for this, but I might upload a few highlights to my server and then share them here.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    I did a very similar trip a few years ago. Good to hear you enjoyed it! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    A hotel IN the sea??? Now this I gotta see!!
    Not a big fan of North-AFrica or the Middle Easta s travel objectives, but still, very nice report...even though apparently you were both stricken by beri-beri!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The high Atlas road trip is very precarious at times. Glad you had a good time, I liked Morocco enough to return twice but I've known some people who've sworn never to return.

And yes Thor, you must get out to Zagora and Ouzazate.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2016
    So off to Tromsø tomorrow for yet another edition of the Tromsø International Film Festival. Hopefully, I'll get to see some Northern lights this time. 5 times the charm! smile

Interestingly, it's actually a couple of degrees "warmer", relatively speaking, up there than it is in Oslo right now. It's usually the other way around. That's a comfort, because this damn flu I've been battling since Tuesday would have thrived further in -20.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2016 edited
    Back from three days of -- basically -- partying in Berlin. Although the Berlinale was going on (and I had several film critic colleagues who were there), I was there to attend the HARPA award for best Nordic film score etc.

Here's a cool red carpet pic of me and the Norwegian delegation:

https://scontent-waw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hp … 3836_o.jpg

And here's one with all the nominees.

https://scontent-waw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hp … 9738_o.jpg

Of course, the Icelandic folks (Atli Örvarsson & Johan Johannsson) took home all the prizes. slant
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2016 edited
    I spot Phil Collins (2nd pic, 4th from the right) biggrin
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2016
    That's Danish composer Frans Bak, but I know what you mean.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2016 edited
    A couple of weeks ago I took the girlfriend to New York City for a long weekend (it was my Christmas present to her). I never really had any longing to visit there (I much prefer spending my holidays in the middle of nowhere - she is the complete opposite) but it is somewhere she always wanted to go.

Arriving with low expectations, I can safely say that I had the time of my life. Wow, what a city. Yes, it's 'touristy', but once you get the sightseeing out of the way (which, admittedly, I still loved - it really is as beautiful as a modern city can be), there is much to discover beyond, including some amazing bars and restaurants which I had much trouble leaving.

So thanks Aleks for inspiring me to take you somewhere I also liked (Christ, it must be the first time).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2016
    Glad you enjoyed it, Lee. When I had my "virgin" visit to New York two years ago, it was just good as people had told me (seemingly everyone I know had been there), even for someone travelling solo like me. It's a city I'd love to return to once finances permit.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2016 edited
    Finances permitting, indeed. It is expensive and even more so when you're not used to the American tipping culture! I had never visited the States before and, on occasion, I received some genuinely awkward and sometimes nerve-racking attitude when I didn't have cash on me! Something that would usually be permissably shrugged off here in Britain - and I run a bar!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2016
    love America. Hate hate the tipping culture.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, the tipping makes what is in essence reasonable prices into something close to Norwegian prices.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Completely agree.
    I understand where it originally came from (the fact that America has an endemic problem with actually paying people a living wage), but for restaurants and bars in pretty much every state this has been fixed by law since many years now. So it's just habit now.

And being pretty much obligated (they REALLY hate if you tip less, and often will actually call you on it! Unbelievable!) to pay a full THIRD of the actual bill again really gets my hump up.

Other than that, New York is a fantastic city that I enjoyed much, much more than I initially thought I would (and not just because you recognise pretty much every street corner from this tv series or that film...which you do!).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I could talk about tipping habits forever (whether the USA or anywhere else), but another thing that also annoys me a bit, is that some places require you to sit down at table to be served -- even if the place is a pub and you just want a beer or two. Obviously, because a waiter has to attend to you so you have to tip.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2016 edited
    I asked one of the hotel staff to store my bag for a few hours after checking out and he actually said "We don't charge for the service but we expect tips on drop-off AND collection". He laughed when I told him I had no physical cash on me and helpfully pointed me towards an ATM.

spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    LSH wrote
    I asked one of the hotel staff to store my bag for a few hours after checking out and he actually said "We don't charge for the service but we expect tips on drop-off AND collection". He laughed when I told him I had no physical cash on me and helpfully pointed me towards an ATM.

spin

PAY for storing luggage after check-out?!? That's insane! Seriously, in cases like that I rather not pay, and get the scorn from the staff instead. The American tipping culture is totally out of control.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Seriously? SERIOUSLY?
    That's the moment I would have called for the manager.
    Expecting (i.e. DEMANDING) a GRATUITY is getting very close to a level of insanity I will not go along with without a fight.

I have to say I never encountered anything even remotely as brazen as all that.

Worst experience I had was a bill where the waiter with a red pen had circled a pre-printed comment on the bill that 30% gratuity was expected, complete with exclamation marks.
    I left 10%, just for that incredibly rude and entitled attitude.
    I had this whole speech in my head about the definition of gratuity and the current laws in New York about minimum wage and what he could and should do to hold his boss to it (oh yeah. I prepared. I'm pre-emptively vindictive like that!) should he come after me...but he never did. I was even a bit disappointed.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'd have given you a big tip to have witnessed that Martijn ( and then withheld it after non-delivery wink )

It's a shame more Americans don't frequent this forum ( is it really only Tom? ), I'd like to hear their opinions.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Christopher and Matt are American, and we probably forget some.

I don't know why we have so few! I mean, it's an English site right?
    Kazoo
  1. Because they are (mostly) sleeping when we are awake? So whenever they look nothing much happens here? Is that relevant on the net?
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Americans are all ze same. Alvays internetting on ze vrong occasion.
  2. I'm half-American. wave

Tipping any more than 10-15% is overkill.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Most Americans will be Irish today.

I'm half Irish but I'm English godammit!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Maybe Americans prefer to go where the other Americans go, like FSM, Intrada and most other film music fora. Half of the cultural and social references at FSM fly way past me (if it's old AND American, I'm even more lost). I always like to make a "number" out of it, though, like when they ask "so how are you going to celebrate YOUR thanksgiving?" or whatever, taking for granted that everyone are basically American.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I'm half-American. wave

Tipping any more than 10-15% is overkill.

That explains the weird propensity towards 30% for full Americans!
  3. Yes, I noticed, FSM is pretty much as American as we are not.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote

It HAS to be a Garth Ennis' comic (Hellblazer or Preacher) where the protagonist walks into an almost empty Irish bar in New York on St. Paddy's Day, finding that it's so quiet because the (genuinely Irish) proprietor actually throws an axe at any mob coming in with silly hats and clovers, and taking a shotgun to anyone asking for green beer. biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote

It HAS to be a Garth Ennis' comic (Hellblazer or Preacher) where the protagonist walks into an almost empty Irish bar in New York on St. Paddy's Day, finding that it's so quiet because the (genuinely Irish) proprietor actually throws an axe at any mob coming in with silly hats and clovers, and taking a shotgun to anyone asking for green beer. biggrin

punk cool love
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Right writer, wrong series. It was The Boys.
    https://www.facebook.com/mavhass/posts/ … nref=story