• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Martijn wrote
    Right writer, wrong series. It was The Boys.
    https://www.facebook.com/mavhass/posts/ … nref=story

FB says the site isn't there anymore. confused
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2016
    Certainly is. Just means we ain't friends, Captain. wink
    I'll try and put it to "public".
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. Working! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2016 edited
    Has anyone been to Abruzzo in Italy? I'd like to do a road trip there with my girl friend (our first big trip, we haven't been able to arrange but a citytrip here and there). It's a sparsely populated and visited region in Italy, with many beautiful little villages and national parks and seeminly spectacular mountain landscape all close to Rome, so we would combine visiting that city too. I love regions like this (like the Spanish region east of Madrid or Corsica). If you've seen The American then you have seen some of the scenery of Abruzzo.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2016
    Sounds fantastic. I've only ever been to Rome, so other parts of Italy are on my list (a long-planned road trip throughout Northern Italy, into Slovenia, down through Croatia and then back to Rome across the Adriater).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Never been a big fan of Italy, but that region looks fantastic!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Oh, you and your beaches, Martijn.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Not a fan of Italy? How is that even possible?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote

Not a fan of beaches in general at all, actually! Nothing to do, sand getting everywhere.
    (I'll make an exception for the odd Caribbean beach, though).

I'm more of a city, woods and mountains guy.
    And palm trees.
    Looooooooads of palm trees!

Captain Future wrote
    Not a fan of Italy? How is that even possible?

I dunno. It just never appealed to me. The language, the people.
    However ABruzzo looks lovely, and I gather there's an area up North (I forget the name now) that is really stunningly beautiful in summer as well, so I may rethink this as I'm getting to the end of my "must do, must see" bucket list and can focus on my number two choices.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    Thor wrote

Not a fan of beaches in general at all, actually! Nothing to do, sand getting everywhere.
    (I'll make an exception for the odd Caribbean beach, though).

I'm more of a city, woods and mountains guy.
    And palm trees.
    Looooooooads of palm trees!

Ah, must have had 'palm trees' and 'beaches' confused (you usually can't have one without the other).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    biggrin Not so: while it IS of course the classic "paradise beach" picture (and to be sure, I have seen these in real life as well, and it IS gorgeous!), palm trees and palm tree forests will grow anywhere and are abundantly present in any tropical environment.
  4. Thor wrote
    ...(you usually can't have one without the other).

That's probably true. But the beach here in Plockton isn't really suitable for sunbathing. About 20 minutes from the Isle of Skye, it's always weird seeing these palm trees in this small Scottish village.

http://www.plocktonyachtcharters.com/pl … ockton.jpg
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    shocked Aaaaaah! shocked I need to visit Scotland!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Weird. That looks like a photo from the Riviera or something.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I only visited Scotland once, spent two weeks there ( including Skye ) and had a fantastic time, I also came back to England a deep brown colour but I gather this isn't always the norm wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I should point out that my idea of a fantastic time was spent in a tent, around camp fires and climbing peaks every single day.

The only downside was the fucking midges which swarmed every evening as soon as the sun was going down.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. Timmer wrote
    I only visited Scotland once, spent two weeks there ( including Skye ) and had a fantastic time, I also came back to England a deep brown colour but I gather this isn't always the norm wink

I think that you'll find that the deep brown colour was due to the peatiness of the water. The water can get quite brown after heavy rain. I bet it was only temporary colouring: a few washes in "clean" English water probably got rid of it.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  6. Timmer wrote
    The only downside was the fucking midges which swarmed every evening as soon as the sun was going down.

I'm usually not bothered by midges. I used to say that I was never bothered by them but on one trip to the lighthouse at Neist Point I was absolutely covered in midges. Although I wasn't bitten, I looked like a midge version of those photos you see of people with bee "beards".
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote

Captain Future wrote
    Not a fan of Italy? How is that even possible?

I dunno. It just never appealed to me. The language, the people.

Hmm, i wonder why
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote

I'm usually not bothered by midges. I used to say that I was never bothered by them but on one trip to the lighthouse at Neist Point I was absolutely covered in midges. Although I wasn't bitten, I looked like a midge version of those photos you see of people with bee "beards".

Am i the only one who read "fucking midgets'? goddamnit, i am ruined.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    I should point out that my idea of a fantastic time was spent in a tent

Noooooo. sad
    , around camp fires

Noooooo. sad
    and climbing peaks every single day.

Ah YEAH! lick

THAT I would enjoy.
    And afterwards retire to my six-star hotel, heading for the bar for champagne cocktails.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Demetris wrote
    Am i the only one who read "fucking midgets'?

No. shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Am i the only one who read "fucking midgets'?

No. shame

Hahah i knew it!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote

I think that you'll find that the deep brown colour was due to the peatiness of the water. The water can get quite brown after heavy rain. I bet it was only temporary colouring: a few washes in "clean" English water probably got rid of it.

biggrin

Martijn wrote
    THAT I would enjoy.
    And afterwards retire to my six-star hotel, heading for the bar for champagne cocktails.

Six-star hotel at the foot of a mountain???

There are many hotels and guest houses in Fort William to accommodate you after a climb of Ben Nevis ( now a meter taller so get training ) but where I usually go it's sleeping bags and tents and no hotels for miles around.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I see a wonderful entrepreneurial opportunity.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2016
    So I'm off for Cannes bright and early tomorrow morning. I've been to France several times, but never at the Riviera (I think the closest is probably Carcassone), and never at the Cannes film festival. So a double first.

Have any of you been there?

Me and two colleagues have rented a small apartment about 4-5 km from the city centre. Now, the things I'm NOT looking forward to include hours upon hours of standing in line (sometimes 4-5 hours for one film, if it's popular), the obligatory 'fancy' dress code for some screenings (I had to buy a new suit today just for this purpose -- I really prefer just wearing shorts and, if required, a nice short-sleeve shirt), the trek back and forth between the apartment and the festival area (both physically and financially) and the steep, almost Norwegian-style prices on most things.

Among the things I DO look forward to, include the general ambiance of the place, the fact that it's (hopefully) nice weather most of the time, seeing some great movies and hopefully attending an event/party or two. I've also been invited to host a panel on gender equality at the European Film Music Day at the local FNAC store, featuring -- among others -- Laura Karpman.

All in all, two exciting weeks ahead. I need to do something after I've been drenched in envy for all the social stuff you've all been doing at the Tyler concert.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Have a brilliant time, Thor! I'll be much interested in your observations. Other first timers in Cannes reported about the audience being blasé and all, but that may have changed since. Happy days!

wave Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2016
    That's cool Thor! I'm not sure I could survive two weeks of some of the decadence and apparently all the waiting. Have a great time. Next time, pass by London to have the shorts wearing part fixed. wink
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2016 edited
    Last few days here in Cannes. I'm enjoying myself tremendously, although it's mostly been film viewing -- not so many parties and absolutely NO tourist activies at all. Some great films, some not so much. Some fine score discoveries as well.

Tomorrow is the gala premiere of Paul Verhoeven's ELLE, and I have a ticket! Looking forward to that as a longtime fan.

I never got a ticket to THE BFG, but I saw Spielberg on the red carpet, which was a treat in itself.

Anyways, I'll report more when I get back on Tuesday/Wednesday.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2016 edited
    You saw Spielberg on the red carpet. Then you must've seen Rebecca Hall too as she was practically the only one getting all the attention from the paparazzi. Quite funny, that clip of the premiere.

Well, understandably, since she's quite tall and not bad looking. love
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.