• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2009
    You bet wink biggrin

Though no one here now wants to go into that area. It's a computer/software/IT engineering mania out here now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2009 edited
    "Though no one here now wants to go into that area. I"

Why not? Too much to do and zero infrastructure? Or are the salaries crappy?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    The first point, I guess. You know, most of the development authorities here are walking bribery/illegal deals machines and if their junior engineers don't follow their footsteps then they make life hell for them. Even computer/IT engineering people don't have any strong job guarantee here unless they've graduated from a particularly reputed institution like IIT or Rourkee. There are far too many engineering colleges here these days, almost one every second lane in the city, and of course there aren't enough jobs for the thousands of engineers coming out every year. Only the elites get good jobs and the others have to either go abroad or keep switching companies. That's why I chose not to go in for that line, because I was not confident whether my Math was strong enough to get me admission in one of the above mentioned colleges.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I see. Thanks
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DemonStar wrote
    Timmer wrote
    p.s. Are India's roads any better nowadays?

They're better in larger Metro cities like Delhi and Mumbai. But out here in Lucknow the condition of most roads is atrocious, they break down whenever it rains after a hot period and they're also irregularly leveled so the lower parts get flooded with water. They've started working on making them better recently, though.

The terrifying roads to Kasmir must be a bightmare to maintain.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote
    I don't know about India. I heard so many different views about it, from co-travelers. The ones who stayed long, loved it, the others mostly hated it, unless you do the obvious tourist route, because then you'll love it too. dizzy

A good point. My first week in India was a nightmare and I wanted to leave for Nepal as soon as possible but I ended up staying for nealy 4 months....go figure cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Timmer wrote

Some friends recently visited a temple high up in Kashmir. They climbed up several feet barefoot following tradition! Brave of them because I heard it's a really rough path up there and people often suffer low levels of asphyxiation. The authorities are now offering helicopter ride to the top.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    One of Bregt's travel companions has put out his pictures from the trip (in which Bregt frequently appears) on facebook, but I'm not going to steal Bregt's thunder by posting the link. I'll wait for the Dutchman's own pics. All I can say is it looked friggin' awesome, far more exotic than I had expected and certainly far more exotic than MY trip to the same region a few months ago...
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    I'll wait for the Dutchman's own pics.

Uh-oh...you've done it NOW! freezing
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LOL biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DemonStar wrote
    Timmer wrote

Some friends recently visited a temple high up in Kashmir. They climbed up several feet barefoot following tradition! Brave of them because I heard it's a really rough path up there and people often suffer low levels of asphyxiation. The authorities are now offering helicopter ride to the top.

Amarnath temple maybe??
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Martijn wrote
    Thor wrote

Martijn, who bans him? You or me?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    We can do it both together?

On the count of three:

one...

two...

'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    Thor wrote

Oops... shame
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Dutchman...Belgians....same thing rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Timmer wrote

Like Scottisch and Britisch people?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Britisch!?
    Shit, when did we get invaded by the Germans?

Btw, Scotts are British. So, um.. yeah, you're right
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote
    Timmer wrote

Like Scottisch and Britisch people?

applause
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Timmer wrote
    A good point. My first week in India was a nightmare and I wanted to leave for Nepal as soon as possible but I ended up staying for nealy 4 months....go figure cool

Any pics of the trip?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    BhelPuri wrote
    Timmer wrote

Any pics of the trip?

1000's

Unfotunately it's all on print or slide film. I had some of the slides transferred to disc but I think it loses some of the quality of the original negative.

There is ( was? ) a pic of me in the Himalaya somewhere on thids board....or was it at Score Reviews???
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    want
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    What?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    photos
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    photos

Ahhhh! wink

I hope you'll get to see many of them in the very near future, a close friend of mine is a professional photographer with his own developing business, He's promised to load a lot of my slides onto disc for free ( I will treat him to something though?....beer??? wink ), it's basically up to me to sort through the slides, and that's a very daunting task, believe me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Steven wrote
    Britisch!?

But all European Union-ish members too right?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Timmer, is the one on your profile page from Himalaya? (I doubt it though)

I saw your big photograph in Bristol last July. That was magnificent!
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote
    Timmer, is the one on your profile page from Himalaya? (I doubt it though)

I saw your big photograph in Bristol last July. That was magnificent!

No it's not Himalaya. It's the French volcanic ( and very active ) Island of Reunion, it's a 30 minute flight ( by 737, hey D, I remembered which plane biggrin ) from Mauritius in the Indian ocean. It's a fantastic place and the hiking is exceptionally rugged and hard work....but boy is it worth it! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    ( and very active ) Island of Reunion, it's a 30 minute flight ( by 737, hey D, I remembered which plane biggrin )

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Bregt wrote
    Steven wrote
    Britisch!?

But all European Union-ish members too right?

Yeah, you Europeans are all pretty much the same.
    Can't tell one from t'other in all honesty.