• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2009
    Pictures of my trip:
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=9 … 9952ab5228

200!!! Take your time.

As usual, I provide some info as well. wink

I will post some with higher resolution in the Photo of the Day topic.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I've seen them all! AMazing! punk
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Wow, already? shocked

You're quick. cheesy
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    They're very interesting, it's always amazing how such a description of an adventure like this which you gave us, comes to life instantly through photos! Looks stunning.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2009 edited
    Bregt wrote
    Wow, already? shocked

You're quick. cheesy

I HAVE seen them ALL! wink

Loved the sunset ( photo 137 ), the mountains, the "red eye" gecko, waterfalls and all the personal and 'arty' ones * baskets full of berries? Nuts? etc'

Great photos Bregt.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Wonderful photos Bregt! I confess I AM SO JEALOUS!!! shame
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Sex Change 1.625 $? That´s good. You never know.

Seriously, nice pics Bregt! Love photos 194 and 195 (pre-Angkorian Khmer temple).
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I am sure smokey comes out of one of those temples...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote

biggrin

(first thing I thought too)
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

biggrin

(first thing I thought too)

[sound] whirring, clanking, clapping, ratcheting, growling, chattering, roaring, siren, black-billed magpie [/sound]
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Alright, I've just seen through them all (and commented on a few)! Just amazing pictures, all of them. You really get the FEEL for the trip.

The thing I envy the most about it is your AUTHENTIC experiences - biking, hiking, spending the night in the boatman's village, exploring exotic jungle locations etc. We never got to do those things to the same degree. It's certainly something I'm gonna try out the next time I'm there. Did you have to plan these things a lot in advance or did you take them as they came?
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Yes, amazing pics!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Alright, I've just seen through them all (and commented on a few)! Just amazing pictures, all of them. You really get the FEEL for the trip.

The thing I envy the most about it is your AUTHENTIC experiences - biking, hiking, spending the night in the boatman's village, exploring exotic jungle locations etc. We never got to do those things to the same degree. It's certainly something I'm gonna try out the next time I'm there. Did you have to plan these things a lot in advance or did you take them as they came?

Do you buy guide books to your chosen destinations? I always recommend the Lonely Planet guides that cover everything from budget travel ( which is how they started out and became so popular ) to 5 star luxury, these guides are written by travelers for travelers and get updated by it's readers, a good thing to, I sent them some information on Reunion where they're info was out of date and was rewarded with any guide of my choice. cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Thor wrote
    Did you have to plan these things a lot in advance or did you take them as they came?

Just like for Norway, I read a lot about the region. I prefer not to follow the Lonely Planet alone, though those are great guidebooks anyway. I used printed pages and some of the guides of Travelfish (www.travelfish.org) for our accommodations and locations, and scanned several forums for the best bits. Nothing was planned/paid beforehand, only 'planned' or lets say 'guidelined'. I had an idea what I wanted to see.

I'm a bit crazy though, but reading/exploring/searching (but not much looking at pictures or so) are part of the trip for me since it enhances anticipation (but that sometimes leads to wanting to do something but eventually it sometimes is not possible). Thing is, I have only made three or four such trips, and they only last a couple of weeks. But looking forward to them by reading and such, makes the wait during the year so much more exciting. smile

If I had known earlier about Travelfish, I had sent it you for sure. We found some of the best accommodations through them (for Bangkok for example)

But most of the things I had in mind: the jungle boat trip for example, which was off the beaten track, and not the usual route, Nong Khiaw (never have been on a place as laid back as this) and the Bolaven were we able to do. I wanted to stay longer in Luang Prabang, as I totally loved that city, but the others wanted to go to Vang Vieng (which I didn't want at all, having read the worst things about it, but you've to make compromises) and that became a disappointment in the end, definitely the weakest part. Anyway, I like being the guide too, since I try to add these little bits of info now and then. wink
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Timmer wrote
    Bregt wrote
    I don't know about India. I heard so many different views about it, from co-travelers. The ones who stayed long, loved it, the others mostly hated it, unless you do the obvious tourist route, because then you'll love it too. dizzy

A good point. My first week in India was a nightmare and I wanted to leave for Nepal as soon as possible but I ended up staying for nealy 4 months....go figure cool

How do you end up 4 months? How were you able to travel as long? Was this a RTW?
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Bregt wrote
    I don't know about India. I heard so many different views about it, from co-travelers. The ones who stayed long, loved it, the others mostly hated it, unless you do the obvious tourist route, because then you'll love it too. dizzy

A good point. My first week in India was a nightmare and I wanted to leave for Nepal as soon as possible but I ended up staying for nealy 4 months....go figure cool

How do you end up 4 months? How were you able to travel as long? Was this a RTW?

It was a RTW though I did change certain things like flight destinations ( though that costs ) . Being away for so long allows the luxury of long haul overland travel etc. I also got work in Australia and New Zealand that allowed me to carry on for longer than my original plans.

I see BOLIVIA and NEW ZEALAND are on your 'must go to' list Bregt, I cannot recommend either highly enough cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    These world travellers are crazy, I tell ya. Nobody we met in Laos was NOT on some sort of Round the World Trip. Laos clearly isn't a country you just go to as a separate holiday.

How long did you travel in total? Did this also include the Himalaya trip then?
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote
    These world travellers are crazy, I tell ya. Nobody we met in Laos was NOT on some sort of Round the World Trip. Laos clearly isn't a country you just go to as a separate holiday.

How long did you travel in total? Did this also include the Himalaya trip then?

It was about 16 months in total and yes, it did include the Himalaya though I ended up gping back to Nepal twice for a period of six weeks each time.

It was on the second trip that I did the leap over the crevasse.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    6 months?! HOLY cow! Literally!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    6 months?! HOLY cow! Literally!

16 months.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    16?!?!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    16?!?!

I've met people who have travelled for a lot longer. I met one person who hadn't been back to England fot 20 years shocked cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Did you carry the money for the 16 months with you? Or did you also work?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Did you carry the money for the 16 months with you? Or did you also work?

As I said in an above post, I worked in Australia and New Zealand so I could keep going. I took money in travelers cheques and kept photocopies of the serial numbers which I also left with family just in case of an emergency.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    16! shocked

How can you not become depressed when you came back?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    What kind of works?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    What kind of works?

I was working illegally so it was building site work in Oz and bar work in NZ though I also did a week working on the bungee jump.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote
    16! shocked

How can you not become depressed when you came back?

After the initial excitement of seeing family and friends it was quite a bit of an anti-climax.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    What kind of works?

I was working illegally so it was building site work in Oz and bar work in NZ though I also did a week working on the bungee jump.

punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    What kind of works?

punk

Working on the bungee was BRILLIANT fun!! I'd have stayed working on that for far longer if they had needed me to.