• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. and how huge it is! biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2010
    How huge it's......what!?!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. The book about recording techniques on classical Beatles albums. I got the book from Hans, as a gift. WIth a beautiful personal note.
  3. Read my report, D. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2010
    Tim, this made me think of you....sad story.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-11067320
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2010 edited
    That's horrible! I've done that journey 4 times in my life ( there & back ) and one of those was in August when the visibilty is not a certainty but there is far less tourists, the weather is notoriously changeable during this time of year in Nepal. It's very sad to think that most of those on board would have been looking forward to the experience of a lifetime, trekking to Mount Everest sad
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2010
    Bregt wrote
    Pictures of the Andalucía trip (Sevilla, Úbeda and Córdoba), also for non-Facebook users:
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 … 54a3910c7d

Thanks for posting those Bregt.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2010 edited
    Thanks! I like doing that. wink

Will you post pictures of your trip to Nova Scotia? How was it?

I'm counting down for Portugal. Next Saturday we fly to Porto, and head to the North immediately (Viana do Castelo) and from there we start our train/bus road trip for two weeks, towards ... what is leading us. We will end the trip with a couple of days in Porto. Since the student season starts in September as well, I booked a hostel in Portugal's biggest student city Coimbra, too. Hostels are really cheap over there. Some have breakfast included for 12EUR! It's mid-season, so we should find accommodation.

Thor wrote
    Bregt, my man, you travel even more than I do and I consider myself quite mobile. How can you afford all these things? I thought you were like a poor student and stuff?

I'm not a student. Next week I will have been working for 2 years now as a web developer.

I don't have much costs. I only have to pay a small amount for living at home, and I don't spend much money otherwise (well, perhaps cd's, but no rent or car costs or what else is there), no expensive gadgets (which is fine, just not for me), .... I'm looking for something to live alone (but it's all damn expansive), and when I find I'll have to slow down I think. wink

Another trip is coming up at the end of the year though, as usual, with a colleague! I'd like to see Bratislava!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    I just came back from my Berlin travel.

MOH frontline and Bourne Supremacy was a really great choises to listen on it!!!

If you want watch the pics...

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 … 458daebdd7
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Excellent pics Jordi, liked them a lot, some of them were mad, what's with the guy with the huge "extra leg"? wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2010
    Timmer wrote
    Excellent pics Jordi, liked them a lot, some of them were mad, what's with the guy with the huge "extra leg"? wink

What, you mean this? wink

But yeah, great pics, Jordi. I'd really like to return to Berlin soon.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2010 edited
    Me and my regular travel buddy just ordered an impulse trip...we'll be going one week to Crete on Friday!

Wow, I've never done something travel-related that impulsively before.

Demetris, have you been to Crete? Anything to recommend there?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2010
    Wow, that's last minute!

Isn't there some sort of gorge on Crete (Samaria or something like that) which you can hike through. A colleague at work did this recently and found it worth it, but with the hot weather, also quite a challenge. And of course the historical parts, including the 'labyrinth of the Minotaur'?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2010
    Bregt wrote
    Wow, that's last minute!

Isn't there some sort of gorge on Crete (Samaria or something like that) which you can hike through. A colleague at work did this recently and found it worth it, but with the hot weather, also quite a challenge. And of course the historical parts, including the 'labyrinth of the Minotaur'?

Yeah, the minotaur thing is one I knew of, but may be a little too "touristey"? If there are any more private spots and towns, some hidden treasures, I'd be delighted to know! It isn't THAT hot now...usually below 30 degrees. Well, hot compared to Norway and our measly 13-14 degrees, but you know what I mean.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2010
    I'm off to Portugal tomorrow. For two weeks. I hope all will go well.

Will you all keep things off topic please?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2010
    Bregt wrote

No worries! Have a nice trip and enjoy! smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2010
    Bregt wrote

No problem. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2010
    Back from Crete! Lovely place, I'll add some comments and pics eventually. I see that Bregt is off already...damn, it's impossible to keep up with that guy! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2010
    We want to see photos! Welcome back beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2010
    OK, some pics from the Crete trip:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=7 … =530696277

As a whole, I was impressed by the island. Lovely scenery - from lush beaches to steep mountainsides. Too bad I didn't get to hike in them, but we rented a car two days and drove around the curvey roads, which was also a spectacular experience in itself. Most of the roads leading away from the car road went to private homes, so we couldn't really find an appropriate point-of-departure for mountain hiking. Unless I participated in chartered tourist excursions, of course, which isn't really my thing.

Weather was superb - between 25 and 35 degrees Celsius throughout. Lots of beach life & lots of drinking (ouzo and Mythos beer!), as usual. Chania was a beautiful city, even though tourism has envelopped much of it. Still, the old town has retained its charm, with its Venetian architecure, narrow alleyways, cozy harbour and myriad of restaurants. For disco and nighlife, though, we had to go to Platannias.

During our car days, we drove to Heraklion, the capital, which was far less impressive than Chania. Seemed more industrialized. Also visited the ruins of Knossos, which was OK, but certainly no Angkor Wat. And finally also the stupendously beautiful Elafonissi beach.

Mythos & Alfa beers were fine, but the food was variable in quality. The local Cretan wine wasn't very good either, but ouzo is always refreshing (and Raki after dinner)! Some really good-lookin' Greek girls to look at too! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2010 edited
    Hadn't seen you posted pictures and a report Thor. Sounds good and full of enjoyment. smile Wasn't it too short? That beach looks fabulous though, and quite calm in terms of people too, or is that wrong? Does it come with the women from the pictures as well? wink

During my trip (beach is not my thing) my co-traveller wanted at least to have some beach and getting a tan (I never understood this concept though). So, I was sitting there, at a beach near Lisboa, full of people, laying and baking in the sun. I had creamed myself with my 50+ sunblock (because I burn very easily), with a cap, a t-shirt, and a bag on my legs just to not get burned. After 10 minutes I decided to leave the dump and went for a walk in the neighbouring forest-like part of the city (Carcavelas, close to Cascais and Estoril). My friend enjoyed his afternoon at that place, and so did I in the end. wink

As for the trip as a whole, it was the first time I travelled with this friend, and I was a bit worried, since we don't know each other that well. But it was really great. Got along very well, and apparently we have complete fucked up minds, although I go too far he said. Anyhow, we always tried to meet people along the way and had to force ourselves now and then to approach the Portuguese people. The young people speak English quite good, and with the older generation we tried to have a short talk as well.

We had only booked the first two and last three nights, and just travelled as it came in between. Somehow, we always ended up in students towns (Coimbra, Leiria, obviously Lisboa and Porto, but also the hole of Viana), so we met a lot of students. Erasmus people as well, but the ones in Coimbra were a bit boring actually.

Highlights
    - the visit to the winery in the middle of the Douro region (the owner helped us so much! Getting there, getting out again, stay, tour, ...) - http://quevedoportwine.com/ (blog about port producing, the harvest is now going)
    - the train ride through the fantastic Douro scenery (it made me think of the fjords in Norway biggrin ) to Porto
    - Lisboa's Bairro Alto 'district' at night, a really cosy and friendly atmosphere, full of young and like-minded people. Drinking, singing, ...
    - The best nights were the ones in Braga (where we met three very cool people, who didn't have the intention to stay until 3 in the morning at all) and in Lisboa, where we met a crazy student from Braga as well, who joined us in Bairro Alto
    - Porto is such a lovely city, with lots of beautiful sights (even though some touristic, but for a reason). The Ribeira is fantastic! And also the port tasting. A city full of history, and you can feel it.
    - Viana do Castelo was a georgeous town, which we visited in the beginning. There we also met Edward, who drove us to Ponte de Lima with his wife (Portuguese). Very very enjoyable!
    - the fact that it was cheap (at least for us). A hostel for 12EUR a night was really the average during the trip (including breakfast). In total I think we spend about 190EUR for accommodation for two weeks. The food was about 8EUR, including drinks, and it was mostly very well done (fish or meat, I could never eat it all, too much on one plate).
    - Vinho verde was a discovery. Young wines, very fresh.
    - Port. I must say, I seldom drink it, but here it was a constant (at least in the north). Delicious stuff, which I appreciate a lot more now.

Pictures here:
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 … 364282f3e6

Btw Martijn. What's your favourite port actually? I only knew the sweet, young ones, but now I know there's a lot of different types, and different tastes. I still like the sweet ones the best, but I'd like to know what's your view on it. smile
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2010 edited
    Thor wrote
    Blah blah culture blah blah beer blah blah beach...
    Some really good-lookin' Greek girls to look at too! smile

shocked
    Crete it is for me next holidays. punk cool
    (But maybe my in the meantime rather ...shall we say monomaniacally developed affection for Greek girls is shining through a bit here?... shame

...also, I seem to be channeling D. ? shocked

Bregt wrote
    - Vinho verde was a discovery. Young wines, very fresh.

True!
    I rarely mention it, but this light, slightly carbonated, green wine is an absolute delight on warm summer nights. One of my favourite party tipples too.

- Port. I must say, I seldom drink it, but here it was a constant (at least in the north). Delicious stuff, which I appreciate a lot more now.

Good man.
    Good man.
    wine champagne cool beer

Btw Martijn. What's your favourite port actually? I only knew the sweet, young ones, but now I know there's a lot of different types, and different tastes. I still like the sweet ones the best, but I'd like to know what's your view on it. smile

My favourite type of port is tawny: it's rather less tart than ruby, and more velvety: it tends to offer -to my palate- a more subtle flavour of the port, without the rather "sledge hammer" approach ruby port takes.

Stay away from whites. That's generally just bland dross, without any personality.

As to brands, this is so very personal: I have had (horribly expensive) rubies in Lisbon port houses which were an even match for the best tawny I ever had. But it's highly unlikely I'd buy a whole bottle of the stuff! In a pinch, my favourites are Kopke and Graham's. Both offer a very likable ruby, but excel at tawny, at very affordable prices.
    Best bottle I ever had was a Graham's vintage. VERY fine, VERY subtle, extremely tasty. An absolute pleasure.

Nice to read all the stories, by the way! cool
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Haha, cool! We visited Graham's in Vila Nova de Gaia! Quite classy and what a view. cheesy

I will take notice! wink

If you can get the Quevedo, please do. I actually liked their LBV.

(I don't think I should have mentioned the women were all beautiful? Always talkative, even to me, and funny)

Oh, and Portuguese don't like Algarve. They're a bit ashamed of it. Lots of tourism they say, and some places have the menu card in 5 languages, but it doesn't even include Portuguese anymore. Anyone been there?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Thanks for the report, Bregt (I've already gone through your excellent pics, as you know). I'm continously impressed by how you always manage to get into the "locality" of places, whether it's meeting people from the area or exploring areas that aren't swarmed with tourists. Plus, you always travel low-cost.

I'm not too keen on beach life either, but that beach at Efalonissi was just pure bliss. Even I thought that. My regular co-traveller is quite different from me in terms of what he wants to do. He LOVES beach life, tanning, driving various motorized objects and just relaxing, while I like to explore by foot and get NATURE EXPERIENCES. So we always try to reach some sort of compromise. The car trip I mentioned was one such compromise of sorts.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2010
    Thor, just a pic of your balcony? Where's the rest??

Bregt, great pics as always, a real memory laner for me, I went only once, in 1987, mostly around Lisboa, Estoril, Cascais and Sintra....and I was single and had one fuck of a wild time.

The theme for Lisboa will always be a~ha's The Living Daylights which seemed to be continuously playing wherever we went.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2010
    Timmer wrote
    Thor, just a pic of your balcony? Where's the rest??

They should be there. Try this:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 … 89e3ab5d9b
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2010
    Less than a week to go and I'll be in San Diego.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2010 edited
    Ghent is in the top 10 of Lonely Planet's city guide for 2011!
    http://www.lonelyplanet.com/belgium/fla … cles/76165
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2010
    Bregt wrote
    Ghent is in the top 10 of Lonely Planet's city guide for 2011!
    http://www.lonelyplanet.com/belgium/fla … cles/76165

And well deserved it is!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2010 edited
    We're looking for a destination for our New Year trip. We have one week at the end of December and a few days in January. Last year we went for a combination of railing, nature (Harz Mountains) and Berlin. This year, we want to do something similar, but doesn't need to be a big city to celebrate NYE. It would be cool to have dinner with my friends in a little house somewhere, or with several people in a small pub in a hole, or a small cosy city...

I emailed Alan with ideas for Scotland, but after a few days researching, it seems really far away (these distances are so unlike Belgium, and I always error on this).

What about Snowdonia? Peak District? Something else? Where do UK'ers go?

Thx!
    Kazoo