• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2012
    indeed! drink

Madrid is a BIG city, just chill out and soak it up.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2012 edited
    Madrid is on my list. I loved Barcelona, the city, but was underwhelmed by the food. So I want to give another Spanish city a chance, since people say so many nice things about their kitchen that I have yet to discover.

As I may have said earlier, I'm going to Rome in April. But that's about it. I have a distant dream about LA and NY in August (for the Williams concert), but I think that will remain a pipedream.

Will consider Ghent and/or Malaga at the pertinent time.

And then we'll just see what happens. There's probably going to be visit to our summer house in Denmark too, at some point. Studies, health and finances are obstacles this year.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Studies?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    Studies?

Part time PPU (Praktisk Pedagogisk Utdanning, directly translated as practical-pedagogical education). I have no idea how that translates into intelligble English.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oh right! You mentioned that before and I forgot.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. SiriusCreations wrote
    My first trip in 2012 is planned for April, together with a meeting and gathering with my friends of StreamingSoundTracks. On April 7 we will attend a Harry Gregson-Williams Concert in Dallas, Texas A week later we are at the EaSST Coast Gathering in New York (on friday evening a Concert at Carnegie Hall, Concert of Oscarwinning scores and a JW-tribute).

OK Harry Gregson-Williams concert is cancelled due to scheduling conflict. Instead the Dallas Symphony Orchestra will perform the live music during the screening of Casablanca, conducted by Richard Kaufman. It will be my first time in Texas and maybe neighboring States.
    That's the beauty of music. They can't take that away from you. (Andy Dufresne)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2012
    No plans at all for 2012. But I don't have a natural need for travelling.
    I do want to do something, if only for the kids, who will have six weeks off too of course...

There are some things I'd like to do. Rome is on my list, but not perfect for family vacation in the middle of the summer I guess. England is on the list too. I liked Austria a lot, mountains and fresh air!

We never did camping and perhaps we should try. On the other hand I'm afraid that it would have been better from an earlier age on so that the kids would have gotten used to it before.

A week of sun and doing almost nothing except swimming and reading could be nice as well. If it's longer than a week then there must be more to see and do.

We could go with friends, but we have very different needs and rythm, so perhaps that's not going to work out. We went with them before, twice it was good, third time not so good and I'm afraid to do it again...

We'll see.............................................................................................................

Istanbul should be nice as well, but of course it's rather a city trip than a family vacation!

Perhaps Belgium or Germany. Keep it close and simple. And have freedom with a chalet and our own car
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2012 edited
    What about the Ardennes or Vogezen (Vosges) Bregje? Hills and mountains, beautiful river valleys (the Semois for example, excellent for chill kayaking), lots of cosy villages, lakes in Vosges, lots of activities for children too.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2012 edited
    Hardly a world travel, but I just made a day trip back and forth to Sweden today, to get me some beer, snus, candy and meat. Many Norwegians close to the border do that, since it's at least half the price on these things. Of course, there are customs limitations to how much we can bring in, and I had JUST above the limit. My friend had a little more. While passing the border, they were checking cars, and the guy immediately after us was pulled over. Phew....
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Wow, that's lucky! What would've happened if it was you?

The word snus has me in snus each time!

SNUS

SNUS

Hilarious.
    biggrin
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    He, he...yeah, but at least you know WHAT it is, now that I've shown it to you in Ghent etc. You have yet to TRY it, though. Next time!

What would have happened if we'd been caught, is in most likelihood a warning. Worst case scenario, they would have taken all the beers and wines from us.

By the way, I bought several Leffe beers (0.33 l) and one Chimay, among others. They were, like, $2.50 each compared to the Norwegian $8.50. As you know, I can't drink myself intoxicated anymore, but should be nice tastes once in a while.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2012
    Norway's answer to San Diego/Tijuana eh? biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. But with fewer decapitations (hopefully!!)
  3. Together with Dutchbat we have planned the following Trip.

April 4th Arriving in Houston, TX
    April 5th Houston/NASA SpaceCenter
    April 6th Houston, TX - San Antonio, TX (lunch with some members of our radiostations) - Dallas, TX
    April 7th SST Dallas Meeting with diner and Casablanca with live orchestra conducted by Richard Kaufman
    April 8th Dallas - Shreveport, LA
    April 9th Shreveport, LA going south to Nederland, TX and then East in the direction of New Oreans. Somewhere between we take a motel.
    April 10th arriving in New Orleans, LA
    April 11th and 12th New Orleans, LA and surroundings.
    April 13th flying to New York, NY in the evening concert in Carnegie Hall (Start of the EaSST Coast Gathering)
    April 14th and 15th continuing the EaSST Coast Gathering
    April 16th in the afternoon flying back to Europe

If you are in one of these places or somewhere along the route and you want to meet us, let us know.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeFeb 29th 2012 edited
    Holy, that's quite a bit of distance! Hope you all have a good time. How many are joining so far? I like the "EaSST" abbreviation. smile

This is for Alan: Scotland!

What's a good region for a mix of hiking and nature. I know Skye is your favourite. Can you do hike for a few days over there? With tents? Is wild camping possible? How easy is it to travel around by bus? Perhaps a car is better.

EDIT: Hmm, apparently high season if from Easter to mid-september. That means booking in advance? I don't like that!
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2012
    Alan has more experience of Skye than me but yeah, getting around isn't a problem, camping with tents is no problem and once you get up higher there ain't no one to stop you doing 'wild' camping. Have a damn good look into where and what you want to hike, some areas are treacherous even for walkers.
  4. I would say that Skye is a good place for walking whatever your abilities. And whether it is coastal, valley, hill walking or even climbing Skye has a great choice. And it doesn't take long to get to the various types of walking. I have a few books on walking on Skye and some are really tricky - but only one or two require ropes. And if you are feeling fit you could try to do the Cullin Ridge in a record time (Google it!).

Getting about the island is no problem. There is a good bus network, with links to Glasgow, Inverness and the rest of the UK. There are also smaller minibus-style transportation too I think. And don't forget that hitchhiking could be an option (and if you are there in August then I may even pick you up - or just drive past!)

There are numerous campsites across the island but I have no experience of these. Here are a couple of links to take a look at:

www.walkinghighlands.co.uk/skye/campsites.shtml

www.ukcampsitesearch.co.uk/scotland/isle-of-skye/

I am out today with only limited web access so can't be too comprehensive about responding.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2012
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    And if you are there in August then I may even pick you up - or just drive past!

biggrin

Thanks for the feedback! We're gathering ideas for this year.
    Kazoo
  5. Bregt, the Walkinghighlands website has a section devoted to walking in Skye:

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/skye/

Seems to be quite a comprehensive overview of walking on the island.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2012
    Hi Alan,

Thanks for the links. How is the weather late august/early september? Have you been during that time? We are thinking of doing a one week walking trip in England and thought of south os England for this summer but Skye sounds really lovely.
  6. In general you can never bank on good weather at any time. But Skye is spectacular in any weather!

But people do say that early (May/June) or late (August/September) in the season tends to have the better weather.

The way things are going, there could be a Maintitles meeting on Skye!! That would be awesome!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Not to spoil, but we're planning June/early July a trip. It's Skye or Iceland! Though competition. Thanks for the link Alan. Lots of trails it seems, and one of 7 days (make that 10 for us!). It looks all quite spectacular and diverse, this island. Does it also inhabit dwarfs?

Tintin wrote

MARTIN! wave Busy times I presume? Hope all is well, but seeing you are planning to return to Europe, it could be worse. smile
    Kazoo
  7. Bregt, June/July would be a great time - especially with those long days! Iceland's daylight hours would be even longer.

And if I had to choose between Iceland and Skye, I would struggle. I would like to see Iceland.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Bregt, June/July would be a great time - especially with those long days! Iceland's daylight hours would be even longer.

Excellent. How long are the days then?
    Kazoo
  8. Even on Skye, at the end of June, it never gets completely dark I think. It has been a while since I have been at that time of year but I do remember Skye being remarkably light at 11-12 pm.

Thor, what is it like with you around about this time? (I need to go and see just how far north Oslo is!)
  9. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thor, what is it like with you around about this time? (I need to go and see just how far north Oslo is!)

Looks like it may be at same level as Shetland.
  10. LOL I revive this thread to ask if somebody will be around during my Texas, Louisiana, New York trip and then we only going to talk about the visit of the nice surroundings of Scotland (which is also still on my list of 'Have to visit') rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    SiriusCreations wrote
    LOL I revive this thread to ask if somebody will be around during my Texas, Louisiana, New York trip and then we only going to talk about the visit of the nice surroundings of Scotland (which is also still on my list of 'Have to visit') rolleyes

I replied! It's a big trip, but for me, it's too much in a short time. I hope to see pics of he meetings though!
    Kazoo
  11. Yes I saw that Bregt. I will keep a picture blog here: http://gallery.siriuscreations.nl
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Even on Skye, at the end of June, it never gets completely dark I think. It has been a while since I have been at that time of year but I do remember Skye being remarkably light at 11-12 pm.

Oslo is not far enough north to have midnight suns and winter darknesses. But of course, once you move beyond the polar circle, it starts to happen.
    I am extremely serious.