• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2012
    biggrin

It didn't help that I'm bloody hungry RIGHT NOW! my food isn't ready for another 50 minutes, an interminably long time on a hungry belly.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2012 edited
    Related to Timmer's adventure at Everest, here's a rather creepy fact: dead bodies are used for orientation:
    http://www.fundalize.com/other/Achterge … st-206078/
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2012
    fascinating, creepy and very eerie. Such is the fate of some risk takers.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. A few weeks ago we decided to postpone our SST 1st pacific gathering. I also decided then not to do the Around The World In 30 days trip.

To compensate this I booked a short 8-day trip to Andalusia.

Here the program:

Dec 31st: Malaga
    Jan 1st: Granada
    Jan 2nd: Córdoba
    Jan 3rd: Sevilla
    Jan 4th: Sevilla
    Jan 5th: Puerto Santa Maria/Cádiz
    Jan 6th: Torremolinos/Benalmádena
    Jan 7th: Flight back home.

If you want to meet me and you are there in that period, please let me know
    That's the beauty of music. They can't take that away from you. (Andy Dufresne)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2012
    I really want to visit Sevilla (because a friend of mine used to live there and constantly brags about it), but I just keep postponing it.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. I think that Sevilla holds the record for the hottest place I have ever been. If I remember correctly, temperatures approached 120°F (48-49°C) - and that might have been in the shade. It was hot!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Maybe it's because Sevilla's women are unbearably hot?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Yes!

I was there when Spain won the World Cup. Everyone jumped into fountains. Never seen so many women in wet shirts. Very atmospheric city with lots of cost squares. And the largest cathedral in the world. Inside it was rather a dissapointment.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I think that Sevilla holds the record for the hottest place I have ever been. If I remember correctly, temperatures approached 120°F (48-49°C) - and that might have been in the shade. It was hot!

Wow! That's even hotter than when Buzz Aldrin was the first man to set foot on the sun.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bregt wrote
    Inside it was rather a dissapointment.

I trust you do not mean the women of Sevilla?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2012 edited
    biggrin
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2013 edited
    Not really "world" travelling, but I'm off to Tromsø tomorrow, for one week at the Tromsø International Film Festival. Ironically, it's warmer up north than here in Oslo right now, where the temperature reads -15 C. It will mostly be clouded during my stay, so I'm not sure I'll be able to catch some aurora borealis. But I hope so.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    That's several degrees up North! shocked Cool job you have there, quite making a name for yourself in Norway. smile

How will you get there?
    Will you take some pictures?

I guess there isn't going to be much daylight. smile
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I'll fly there. But I have driven from the South to the North before (with my family). Not sure there will be time for pictures and stuff, but I'll bring my camera in any case. smile

There isn't much daylight up there, that's true. 3-4 hours, maybe.

Here's a professional pic that someone took of Tromsø during an aurora borealis:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/b_olsen/81 … /lightbox/

(there are some other great pics there too)
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2013
    STUNNING!

Aren't there Polar Bears up there too?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    No, there aren't any polar bears on mainland Norway. You'd have to go to our island Svalbard off the Northern coast.

According to a fairly recent Hollywood film, we apparently also have aliens and predators on one of our other islands, Bouvet Island. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    YIKES! Not going there then.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2013
    The best week of my life was the first week of my honeymoon, on safari in Kenya. Strongly considering another safari this year. Found what looks to be a fantastic trip which takes in the Maasi Mara and other highlights in Kenya and a few days each in Uganda and Rwanda, the latter including a day's trekking to see mountain gorillas which sounds extraordinary.

It's cheaper than I'd have expected - but unlike our last one (when we stayed in lodges), this one's a camping safari and you stay in tents. I wonder if anyone here (Thor maybe?) has done a camping safari and what that was like.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2013
    Southall wrote
    The best week of my life was the first week of my honeymoon, on safari in Kenya. Strongly considering another safari this year. Found what looks to be a fantastic trip which takes in the Maasi Mara and other highlights in Kenya and a few days each in Uganda and Rwanda, the latter including a day's trekking to see mountain gorillas which sounds extraordinary.

It's cheaper than I'd have expected - but unlike our last one (when we stayed in lodges), this one's a camping safari and you stay in tents. I wonder if anyone here (Thor maybe?) has done a camping safari and what that was like.

Sorry, but I've never really done a CAMPING safari in Africa. In fact, camping or any other hiking in the Ngoro-Ngoro national park was strictly prohibited. Only the indigenous Kenyan Massai tribe were allowed to roam free. We had to stay inside the cars and spend the nights in lodges, like yourself.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Just returned from Tromsø after a week of moviegoing and MASSIVE partying. On Friday, we just kept it going all night at the hotel room (with 20 other people) and went directly to the hotel breakfast at 7. Almost the same thing on Saturday.

Obviously, this week has fucked up my head considerably because when I arrived back home last night, I couldn't find my house keys. Assuming I had left them at the hotel in Tromsø (the staff couldn't tell me untill this morning), I had to take another cab and spend the night at a friend's place.....only to discover this morning that the keys were jammed inside the lining of the suitcase! And then when I left their house a couple of hours ago, I discovered that I had forgotten my toilet bag at THEIR place!

dizzy
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    Thor, alcohol can make you forget things. Just saying. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    How was the festival, if you should remember. Did you see northern lights? Took some pictures!?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    No, unfortunately I didn't get to take any pictures. Too busy with other things. There were no Northern lights, however. Too cloudy etc. But for the few hours of daylight, it was great to walk around in the city and just marvel at the big, snowcovered mountains surrounding the city.

TIFF is mostly about watching movies and trying to attend as many of the events as possible, so little time for sightseeing beyond the city core.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Thor wrote
    No, unfortunately I didn't get to take any pictures. Too busy with other things.

Translated means, "I couldn't remember where I put my camera."

wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thor wrote
    No, unfortunately I didn't get to take any pictures. Too busy with other things.

Translated means, "I couldn't remember where I put my camera."

wink

He, he...yeah, in this context, that would have been a likely scenario too! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2013
    Past Sunday I was again present at the alternative travel fair in Bruges. Together with 250 other people, I was informant. I did this for Iceland and Corsica this year. The idea of this event is that people come to my table and ask feedback about their plans or an introduction or ideas for an upcoming trip. I share my experiences, practical info and ideas. I bring maps, brochures, my travel diaries, ...

What a success! Like last year, Iceland was extremely popular and I think I had chats with about 20 people/couples, and only 3 for Corsica (which is an underrated destination if you see it this way, except for the long distance hikes). I literally had only a break for half an hour break in a 9 hour shift! Luckily, the evening ends with beers (to get the throat working fine again) from Bruges and a good dinner with similar minded people. Met a guy who has been travelling to Scandinavia and Iceland for about his whole life. Fascinating what he has done there! I'm really a junior, a noob at this event!

But in the mean time I have no idea where my big trip should go this year (preferably combined with a fine long distance hike)! Slovenia? Northern Spain? But a city trip to Valencia during the Fallas next month should get my year starting!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2013
    Cool! You're certainly the man to talk to for exotic locales outside the trodden tourist paths.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2013 edited
    I will be in Valencia for 5 nights from Friday on to celebrate the Fallas! punk
    www.fallasfromvalencia.com

It will be CRAZY. dizzy
    http://mediterraneanexile.blogspot.be/2 … as-de.html

There will be lots of explosions, kids with bombs, fireworks two times a day, fires, lots of alcohol and no sleep! Valencia seems to become a war zone during this time. I might not survive it.

Has anyone (Spanish guys???) been there during that time?
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2013
    Sounds like hell. Have a good one Bregt beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2013
    It's been on my To-Do list for a while. Apparently it's a ..ahem...blast. shame
    Enjoy, Bregt!
    Likely I'll go next year.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn