• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2009
    Tomato is a vegetable, period. And i just love it too. Same goes for distaff, rock, rocket, card or however it is you people call it .
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    What, no votes for carrot?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    What, no votes for carrot?

I did mention raw carrot (it's clearly the king of the raw vegetables) but I'm a little bemused at its lack of support.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Steaming or raw is the way to go with veggies

There's nothing finer than a raw carrot!

Always loved raw carrots but it took decades before I found a love of cooked carrots....roasted, of course! lick
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2009 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Tomato is a vegetable, period. And i just love it too. Same goes for distaff, rock, rocket, card or however it is you people call it .

rolleyes

You can say that D but TRUTH it is NOT!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    sdtom wrote

Always loved raw carrots but it took decades before I found a love of cooked carrots....roasted, of course! lick

I didn't have a roasted carrot until I was about 25. Now, I can't get enough!

Tonight's vegetable was potato... chipped. Served with beans (baked) and pork, honey and mustard sausages. Delicious!
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    Christodoulides wrote

Ruccola?
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2009 edited
    Lots of them! Depends on what's done with it. Carrots score high because it's impossible to screw up with them. Stir fry or steam veggies, add garam masala. Eat. Experience heaven!
    Other favorites are unripe jackfruit, koorka (chinese potato), raw plantains...
    South Indian food is full of these!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2009
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    sdtom wrote

I didn't have a roasted carrot until I was about 25. Now, I can't get enough!

Tonight's vegetable was potato... chipped. Served with beans (baked) and pork, honey and mustard sausages. Delicious!

Hmmmmm..ummmmm lick

As for the roasted carrots....I found that out for myself at a later age than 25 dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    you can turn orange from eating too many carrots
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I'm willing to give it a try, Tom! I love carrots.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

rolleyes

What? Tomato a fruit? tell me one instance when it's in fact NOT used as a vegetable, together with vegetables.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Rian wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Ruccola?

yeah shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

rolleyes

What? Tomato a fruit? tell me one instance when it's in fact NOT used as a vegetable, together with vegetables.

Used as a vegetable, tastes like a vegetable... might as well be a vegetable. But still a fruit. But you two know that already! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Actually, I rather dislike tomatos.
    But I love most everything that has tomatos worked into it. spin

My true favourite veggies are red and yellow paprikas (peppers/capsicums), raw carrots (excellent stress food! You can really gnaw them aggessively biggrin) and rocket leaf.

From the Indonesian cuisine I'd also add the most magnificent, very strong-tastting peteh beans.
    Once eaten, you'll taste them for three days more, but it's so worth it!

lick
    Getting hungry just thinking about it.

As requested by the topic starter, here's an artist's rendition.
    Copies may be distributed freely. The original will be donated to charity.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

rolleyes

Used as a vegetable, tastes like a vegetable... might as well be a vegetable. But still a fruit. But you two know that already! wink

Thank you Steven beer .....though the Tomato may actually be a berry dizzy wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2009 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

You can say that D but TRUTH it IS!

Used as a vegetable, tastes like a vegetable... might as well be a vegetable. But still a vegetable. But you two know that already! wink

Thank you Steven beer .....though the Tomato may actually be a vegetable dizzy wink

Let's finish this.

We've done this one at SR already. smile
    (With pretty much the same conclusion).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

You can say that D but TRUTH it IS!

Used as a vegetable, tastes like a vegetable... might as well be a vegetable. But still a vegetable. But you two know that already! wink

Thank you Steven beer .....though the Tomato may actually be a vegetable dizzy wink

Let's finish this.

I love you Martijn kiss
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote

Steven wrote

Let's finish this.

I'm pretty sure I said fruit. shocked biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    This is going the way of other threads. The answer to the question about the tomato is who cares.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I don't think anyone does Tom. We're not exactly discussing politics here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    We're doing it a lot more civilized. I think the fruit answer lies in the properties it possesses being grown etc.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Tomato is scientifically a fruit, but used as an everyday vegetable is more accurate IMO. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Sigh.

Is a tomato a fruit or a vegetable?

The confusion about 'fruit' and 'vegetable' arises because of the differences in usage between scientists and cooks. Scientifically speaking, a tomato is definitely a fruit. True fruits are developed from the ovary in the base of the flower, and contain the seeds of the plant (though cultivated forms may be seedless). Blueberries, raspberries, and oranges are true fruits, and so are many kinds of nut. Some plants have a soft part which supports the seeds and is also called a 'fruit', though it is not developed from the ovary: the strawberry is an example. As far as cooking is concerned, some things which are strictly fruits may be called 'vegetables' because they are used in savoury rather than sweet cooking. The tomato, though technically a fruit, is often used as a vegetable, and a bean pod is also technically a fruit. The term 'vegetable' is more generally used of other edible parts of plants, such as cabbage leaves, celery stalks, and potato tubers, which are not strictly the fruit of the plant from which they come. Occasionally the term 'fruit' may be used to refer to a part of a plant which is not a fruit, but which is used in sweet cooking: rhubarb, for example. So a tomato is the fruit of the tomato plant, but can be used as a vegetable in cooking.

Anyway,
    Actually, I rather dislike tomatos.
    But I love most everything that has tomatos worked into it. spin

My true favourite veggies are red and yellow paprikas (peppers/capsicums), raw carrots (excellent stress food! You can really gnaw them aggessively biggrin) and rocket leaf.

From the Indonesian cuisine I'd also add the most magnificent, very strong-tastting peteh beans.
    Once eaten, you'll taste them for three days more, but it's so worth it!

lick
    Getting hungry just thinking about it.

As requested by the topic starter, here's an artist's rendition.
    Copies may be distributed freely. The original will be donated to charity.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    So what you're saying is the tomato is in fact a vegetable? Good lord, I don't agree with that at all.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    So what you're saying is the tomato is in fact a vegetable? Good lord, I don't agree with that at all.

No sane person would! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Shh man, I'm trying to verily yank his chain.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Verily thou art the reincarnation of Loki impersonified lad devil
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    ...and yet another artist's impression of a vegetable's proper use.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    ...and yet another artist's impression of a vegetable's proper use.

Why, yer a regular Rolf Harris aintcha!!