• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Well, here it is -- my first. Sure, it may not have the best fade out, and one small part of it is a little too loud, but I did the best I could as a newbie to composing software. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbvtRFK8pKU (It's up now!)
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2009
    I really should get round to trying to write some music. After all, I bought a Mac mainly for GarageBand, and then spent another £70 on the orchestra samples and have barely used it. shame
  2. I couldn't help myself, had to make another cue. In fact, all those things I always hummed in my head ... I have the urge to make with FL Studio.

Anyway, here's the new one:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u2rP-20qpQ
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2009
    It's not John Williams material yet, but it's far better than the stuff I wrote as a ten year old. rolleyes
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Rian wrote
    It's not John Williams material yet, but it's far better than the stuff I wrote as a ten year old. rolleyes

biggrin

Good stab. wink

(even thought it probably wasn't intentional)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2009 edited
    Any particular reason why you completely ignore any rhythm or melody?
    I'm serious: I'm trying to get what you're doin here, but the first piece, though melodic, is just jarring due to the fact that the rhythm is all over the place, and the second piece is just a set of random noises to me...

(I'm honestly not trying to be mean. I'm just puzzled. And ever so slightly suspicious you may be having a laugh with us, maybe. uhm But that may just be my paranoid nature. wink )
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    (I'm honestly not trying to be mean. I'm just puzzled. And ever so slightly suspicious you may be having a laugh with us, maybe. uhm But that may just be my paranoid nature. wink )

I was thinking the exact same thing. uhm

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Perhaps you could send it to Zimmer to show him what real music sounds like?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Perhaps you could send it to Zimmer to show him what real music sounds like?

biggrin wink

shame there's no 'sarky' icon
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. There was almost nothing random in the second piece. There were two counter "melodies" working against the main one (which is the opening beats), sometimes randomly doing their own thing, while at other times creating some harmony. No notes there were completely random.

And not get the first piece? No saying that is what not makes sense.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I love it. 2009 started with a killer!
    Kazoo
  4. Bregt wrote
    I love it. 2009 started with a killer!

I can't tell if that's sarcasm or just a jab.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Both? biggrin
  5. Why donm't you just ... bolt.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2009 edited
    Oops, wrong thread. I was talking about Et Après, by Desplat.

Your music, is lets say, just not my thing. It's quite spastic.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregt wrote
    Your music, is lets say,just not my thing. It's quite spastic.

I ws just having coffee.
    You owe me a new keyboard.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Bregt wrote
    Your music, is lets say,just not my thing. It's quite spastic.

I ws just having coffee.
    You owe me a new keyboard.

*SPLUTTER* vomit

Me too!

You killed me Bregt! biggrin beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    justin boggan wrote
    There was almost nothing random in the second piece. There were two counter "melodies" working against the main one (which is the opening beats), sometimes randomly doing their own thing, while at other times creating some harmony. No notes there were completely random.

And not get the first piece? No saying that is what not makes sense.

Actually, I quite liked it.
    I thought that some of the metaphysical imagery was really particularly effective.
    Interesting rhythmic devices too which seemed to counterpoint the surrealism of the underlying metaphor of the humanity which contrives through the medium of the structure to sublimate this, transcend that, and come to terms with the fundamental dichotomies of the other, and one is left with a profound and vivid insight into whatever it was it was about.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Great. Now I need a new keyboard. slant
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote
    Great. Now I need a new keyboard. slant

That's easy for you to day. I need new underwear. shame wink
  6. bunny
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  7. Okay, two more pieces.

A warning note about the first one:

It has random notes. I decided to just go crazy, but I did try to keep the notes sounding nice and at some kind of harmonizing level at times.
    While the underlyining melody is what inspired the piece (and as a whole it's NOTHING like in my head -- on purpose) it itself isn't getting a full presance in this piece and is competing with everything else. This will NOT be for everybody; it was barely for me a couple times!

But as they say, even great ideas can come from failure. Or in this case, dancing with failure as if you were going to take it home and make love to it. Anyway, here is the piece:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwokhVDSkWk

This second one is inspired by a well known radio program called "Hearts of Space" and as a result I have named the cue just that:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLd47MWq3-M
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Martijn wrote
    Any particular reason why you completely ignore any rhythm or melody?

lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2009
    Anthony wrote
    Rian wrote

biggrin

Good stab. wink

(even thought it probably wasn't intentional)

Wugh? What did i do? confused
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2009 edited
    You inadvertently took the piss (judging by your response to Anthony's), that's what.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Here's Mikael Carlsson's recent choral composition:

http://www.moviescoremedia.com/mikaelca … magnum.mp3

I think it's wonderful.

Also, check out Marc's french horn renditions of John Williams themes:

http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … -williams/

smile
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    And would either of those people like to tell us how long it took them to write and arrange those pieces? smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I think Marc suggested on another board the first part took him well over a year to arrange and record.
    And there's four parts.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    If your truly serious about your efforts schooling is essential IMHO
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    sdtom wrote
    If your truly serious about your efforts schooling is essential IMHO

Truer words were ne'er spoken.