• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2009
    Since everyone else is doing it, I thought I'd give it a go.

A couple of warnings: I spent over 45 minutes performing the different parts, but you may notice a few imperfections. I apologise for this.

Also, this being my first composition, of course I'm rather raw, so please don't be too harsh on me!

Anyway, it's called "The Importance of Domiciles (In One Part)" and was inspired by a conversation I once had with a guy called Harry Crenshaw about how irritating it can be if your house breaks in two.

Feedback welcomed... I think...

http://www.movie-wave.net/composition_southall.mp3
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    lol
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2009 edited
    Good stuff there, James. I particularly liked how you mirrored the duality of a splitting house in the underlying rhythms inserted into the theme. Though your brass performances are a little off, I'd suggest getting some professional help for that.

It's a good start. Let's hope it improves?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Inspiring stuff there, James. I particularly liked how you mirrored the duality of a splitting house in the underlying rhythms inserted into the theme. Though your brass performances are a little off, I'd suggest getting some professional help for that.

It's a good start. Let's hope it improves?

Thanks for your kind words. I agree about the brass performance, but then Rome wasn't built in a day, was it? I might see if a few local musicians would be kind enough to help out - of course, my budget is rather limited, and the recording studio I have is hardly Abbey Road, but perhaps if I offer them a nice meal out they will help.

One thing I didn't feel I could quite capture was the essence of a summer's evening - that moment when the sun is going down and you can feel exhilirated by what has just been, and yet there is still a promise of so much more to come. Hopefully this will come with time and my next take on the material will be a bit more suitable.
  1. James, any particular reason why you completely ignore any rhythm or melody? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Clearly you lack a sense of fun and creativity!
  2. Aside from the constant Horner rips, it was quite nice. Only wish FL Studio had such realistic instruments and ability to manipulate them like you have.

On second thought, it sounds like a bunch of pieces from Horner scores edited together (which in itself can be hard to tell since he rips from himself constantly). Trek, another one I can't name (perhaps Krull).
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It is a truly sad day when a composer is so shockingly intellectually detached from his own incompetence and his work's ineptitude. The question may be to young composer Southall, who presents us with his maiden piece, what he thinks the accomplishment are in these varying patterns and degrees, softly, loudly, enigmatically and obviously overweening in its poetastry, never once presenting us with a true "almost recollection"?

Historians of the future who are concerned with the decline of the West should do well to study this ponderous piece with its grandiloquous vacuity and essay the pointlessly vapid rationalization of its proponents. The immature fumbling of the composer on a lost quest to seek a glimpse of refraction in eternal crystal triangle of art, love and beauty is sterile and emotionally frustrating, and interminably meaningless in its stylized patterns of repetition.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. Could have done 10 or 20 jumping jacks in that time spent typing. ;-)
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Or composed 10 or 20 new tracks.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Southall wrote
    Since everyone else is doing it, I thought I'd give it a go.

A couple of warnings: I spent over 45 minutes performing the different parts, but you may notice a few imperfections. I apologise for this.

Also, this being my first composition, of course I'm rather raw, so please don't be too harsh on me!

Anyway, it's called "The Importance of Domiciles (In One Part)" and was inspired by a conversation I once had with a guy called Harry Crenshaw about how irritating it can be if your house breaks in two.

Feedback welcomed... I think...

http://www.movie-wave.net/composition_southall.mp3

Wow. This is truly excellent! An amazing listen; it would seem I've found something new for my iPod. One question though: did you seriously "perform" all those different parts? If so, HOW? How can you be that good at all those instruments, and how can you own all those instruments to have them at your disposal? Or did you mean you were "perform"ing the different instrument parts via a keyboard hooked up to a sound library? Either way, it sounds exceptional! punk What a great piece of work. beer (tongue)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    MainTitles is a breeding heaven for young upcoming composers it seems.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Indeed, and Southall is clearly at the top of his game. cool wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Anthony wrote

Agreed! shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Bregt wrote
    MainTitles is a breeding heaven for young upcoming composers it seems.

Yep, though I wish I were at least a quarter as good as James apparently is. shame wink
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    Top notch! for a starter ofc.
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
  4. House breaks in two?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    William wrote
    Anthony wrote

Agreed! shocked

Well, he's not as good as me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2009
    Joking aside, I can't tell if William is being serious. God help him if he is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2009 edited
    Steven wrote
    Joking aside, I can't tell if William is being serious. God help him if he is.

Serious in which post? wink tongue And BtW, smaller text doesn't mean I'm incapable of reading it. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Antineutrino wrote
    James, any particular reason why you completely ignore any rhythm or melody? confused

lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Good. Just checking... I mean, you do believe in the Devil after all! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Also, Krull rocks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2009 edited
    All, many thanks for your feedback, both positive and negative.

In light of this - particularly Martijn's pertinent point that "The immature fumbling of the composer on a lost quest to seek a glimpse of refraction in eternal crystal triangle of art, love and beauty is sterile and emotionally frustrating, and interminably meaningless in its stylized patterns of repetition" has led me to make one or two slight alterations to the piece.

I imagine that it would take a finely-trained musical ear to spot the differences, subtle as they are, but I would encourage those who feel up to the challenge to sample my second version of "The Importance of Domiciles (In One Part)" - I reiterate that, to most people, the changes made will be noticed at best on a subliminal level, but perhaps the keenest ears will be able to spot the tribute I have made to the insouscience of the journey from womb to pouch for an infant kangaroo. A joey, if you will.

http://www.movie-wave.net/composition_v2.mp3
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    As I type Korngold is shaking his head
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Steven wrote
    Good. Just checking... I mean, you do believe in the Devil after all! wink

Not this again... rolleyes wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nah, I'll only end up in despair.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    All, many thanks for your feedback, both positive and negative.

In light of this - particularly Martijn's pertinent point that "The immature fumbling of the composer on a lost quest to seek a glimpse of refraction in eternal crystal triangle of art, love and beauty is sterile and emotionally frustrating, and interminably meaningless in its stylized patterns of repetition" has led me to make one or two slight alterations to the piece.

I imagine that it would take a finely-trained musical ear to spot the differences, subtle as they are, but I would encourage those who feel up to the challenge to sample my second version of "The Importance of Domiciles (In One Part)" - I reiterate that, to most people, the changes made will be noticed at best on a subliminal level, but perhaps the keenest ears will be able to spot the tribute I have made to the insouscience of the journey from womb to pouch for an infant kangaroo. A joey, if you will.

http://www.movie-wave.net/composition_v2.mp3

Very Morricone.

Who did the vocals?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Who did the vocals?

Bregt.