• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2009 edited
    Hey all. As everyone else is getting in on putting up their compositions, I figured I'd put up some of mine as well. I used to have a thread for my music, but no one's posted there for half a year, and I figured it was time to start anew. Here's a piece I wrote last year. Not nearly as good as James' (tongue), but here it is anyhow. Feedback and criticism is welcome and appreciated (as is a decent idea or two for a name for this piece; I'm terrible at names shame).
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2009
    Well ok...but you didn't need to start another thread. shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2009 edited
    Anthony wrote
    Well ok...but you didn't need to start another thread. shame

If you're saying I should have used my old one... it's terrible. And the whole thread got way off topic. And the music in that one wasn't my best. Ah well... Perhaps you're right. dizzy shame Sorry.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    No, what I meant was you should have posted in the one Justin started...and Southall added to...and you posted in. Remember, that one? smile wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Anthony wrote
    No, what I meant was you should have posted in the one Justin started...and Southall added to...and you posted in. Remember, that one? smile wink

You mean, 'Remember, those two?' There are two other threads, one for Justin and one for James. wink But Anthony... While you're here, would you mind giving me some feedback? smile
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    At least you know rhythm and melody. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Anthony wrote
    At least you know rhythm and melody. wink

That's all the feedback I was looking for. wink tongue
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2009
    Too much repetition, but very sweet and sincere! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    markrayen wrote
    Too much repetition, but very sweet and sincere! smile

Thanks. I guess you may be right about the repetition... Hmmm.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Chronic Repeating is a good title
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    sdtom wrote
    Chronic Repeating is a good title

Thanks... rolleyes
  1. How about naming it:

"Memories of the Sea / Reunion"

It sort of conjuresmaybe sad memories of losing someone at sea, and reuniting with that person who turns out to be alive later.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I like it! Wouldn't go amiss in a sweet romantic comedy type film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Yup, quite ok! It got a nice melody/rhythm.

The sudden outburst near the end does end a bit too abruptly though. smile
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I still don't quite understand why there are so many threads about the same topic. I'm criticized for starting a thread on a review I feel should have its own topic and yet there are (3) of pretty much the same thing. Please explain to me as I am somewhat confused.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I refer the right honourable gentleman to the answer I provided in the answer I gave some moments ago.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    justin boggan wrote
    How about naming it:

"Memories of the Sea / Reunion"

It sort of conjuresmaybe sad memories of losing someone at sea, and reuniting with that person who turns out to be alive later.

Hmmm... Good idea. I'll consider it. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2009
    cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2009
    sdtom wrote
    cheesy

wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2009 edited
    Here's another one, more action-packed this time. Name suggestions are appreciated as always.
  2. How about "The Vampire Chasers"? Sort of haves an 80's movie sound and lightly conjures feeling of "the Lost Boys".
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2009
    justin boggan wrote
    How about "The Vampire Chasers"? Sort of haves an 80's movie sound and lightly conjures feeling of "the Lost Boys".

So... Good, or bad? You're not really saying what you think of it, just what it brings to mind. Could you please elaborate?
  3. More of a middle ground, in my view, neither good nor bad. Maybe it was the semi cheesy synths that put me on that stance.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    justin boggan wrote
    More of a middle ground, in my view, neither good nor bad. Maybe it was the semi cheesy synths that put me on that stance.

Possibly. Anything that can be fixed, you think, such as by an altered orchestration, or is it just the sound of the digital instruments? confused
  4. What software do you use?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    PawelStroinski wrote
    What software do you use?

GarageBand. (Sigh.) shame I hope to get either Finale or Sibelius within the next couple years.
  5. William wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    More of a middle ground, in my view, neither good nor bad. Maybe it was the semi cheesy synths that put me on that stance.

Possibly. Anything that can be fixed, you think, such as by an altered orchestration, or is it just the sound of the digital instruments? confused

The back drums notes that start at 0:29 would be, in my own opinion, a real culprit here. How to fix that, I can't say.

Maybe ad a tad bit more Release to the strings.

And the early 80's Elfman keyboard also makes it sound a semi cheesy, but at the same time it helps create the mood, so changing that might affect the piece. What matters here is if you are happy with it. Dont make your compositions on what others say. If you ever read composer interviews, one thing many hate is some director/producers/studio looing over their shoulders and telling them what to do.

A composition by audience appeal will always have struggles.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    justin boggan wrote
    William wrote
    justin boggan wrote

The back drums notes that start at 0:29 would be, in my own opinion, a real culprit here. How to fix that, I can't say.

Maybe ad a tad bit more Release to the strings.

And the early 80's Elfman keyboard also makes it sound a semi cheesy, but at the same time it helps create the mood, so changing that might affect the piece. What matters here is if you are happy with it. Dont make your compositions on what others say. If you ever read composer interviews, one thing many hate is some director/producers/studio looing over their shoulders and telling them what to do.

A composition by audience appeal will always have struggles.

Very good points, Justin. I'll go check out the spots you mentioned. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2009
    At 0:29, are you referring to the one timpani hit that opens the secondary battle march section? Or something else?
  6. No, the notes that countinue for what would have been in a real orchestra a spot for drums. I guess that's the battle march. I have something else playing right now, so I can't play it.