• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2009
    This is one I definitely pass on as I've transferred my LP to CD.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    I don't get why this is only 1000 copies. This is a typical example of a score I would have bought if it had more copies, no matter what this Bruce guy keeps telling us about 1000 vs 1500 copies.

Anyway, I read something on FSM about Tadlow doing a rerecording possibly, so I'd rather buy that instead. Or was this a rumour?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Thanks for the heads up. Ordered!

fommes wrote
    Anyway, I read something on FSM about Tadlow doing a rerecording possibly, so I'd rather buy that instead. Or was this a rumour?

Oh man! That would be awesome!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    BhelPuri wrote
    Thanks for the heads up. Ordered!

fommes wrote

Oh man! That would be awesome!

It would - it's a brilliant score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2009
    I have the Rykodisc release and a lengthy suite on the SAYONARA compilation, so I have my TARAS BULBA music covered for a while. I'd like to see the film some day, though.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2009
    fommes wrote
    I don't get why this is only 1000 copies. This is a typical example of a score I would have bought if it had more copies, no matter what this Bruce guy keeps telling us about 1000 vs 1500 copies.

There are a lot of releases of this material already. As far as I know there is nothing new.
    http://www.soundtrackcollector.com/cata … vieid=1194

Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2010
    SUNSET BLVD. (SUNSET BOULEVARD / 2CD)
    Composed by: Franz Waxman

Planned release date of LATE NOVEMBER

Franz Waxman’s 1950 Academy Award-winning masterpiece finally comes to CD! This first-ever studio-authorized release incorporates all of the surviving elements in the Paramount Pictures music archive (approximately two-thirds of the complete score) along with the original “Prelude” and “Conversing Corpses,” a cue for a brilliantly scored deleted scene. Because of their major importance to the film’s story, the bonus section also includes all of the surviving source cues—even though some of these tracks have suffered from their years of storage. A final treat is the Jay Livingston–Ray Evans song “Paramount Don’t-Want-Me Blues” (not used in the finished film), newly recorded especially for this release by Los Angeles vocalist Whitney Claire Kaufman and pianist Nelson Kole.

This double cd contains two lavish booklets with scenes on and off camera and many never before photos of Franz Wazman contributed by his son John Waxman. Extensive liner notes by Ryan Brennan and Curt Hardaway. Package design by Jim Titus.

1. PRELUDE 8:18
    2. MONEY TROUBLE / THE SCHWABADERO 1:11
    3. CHASE AND MANSION / AN AGING ACTRESS 3:54
    4. THE ORGAN GRINDER :40
    5. A CURIOUS COLLABORATION :38
    6. NORMA’S GALLERY 1:19
    7. AFTERNOON OUTINGS / SACRIFICE OF SELF-RESPECT 4:47
    8. DRAMATIC CHORD 1:04
    9. AFTER AULD LANG SYNE / THE PAMPERED PRINCE :49
    10. PARADING TO PARAMOUNT :54
    11. INTERVIEW WITH DEMILLE 1:49
    12. DEMILLE’S COMPASSION :38
    13. THE STUDIO STROLL :25
    14. FAREWELL / JOE WALKS OUT 6:41
    15. THE COMEBACK 4:19
    16. SUNSET BOULEVARD CAST :25

Source Cues:
    17. TOCCATA AND FUGUE IN D MINOR (EXCERPTS) 3:36
    18. LA CUMPARSITA 3:32
    19. DIANE 2:51
    20. CHARMAINE 2:20
    21. AULD LANG SYNE 1:01

22. MAIN TITLE (FILM VERSION WITH EFFECTS) 1:28

Total disc time: 52:40

Bonus Disc:

1. THE PARAMOUNT-DON’T-WANT-ME BLUES 2:24 (Newly recorded by vocalist Whitney Claire Kaufman and pianist Nelson Kole.)

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_det … ER/?ref=nf

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2010 edited
    Is this the time I say I'm pleased with the Varese rerecording (which, however, is on my sales list because I don't like the score very much)?

But great to see my friend Jim Titus getting more and more design gigs. He's really the best out there, IMO.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2010
    Does there really need to be a second disc which only lasts 2:24!?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2010
    Southall wrote

I didn't notice that. Wow, that must be a mistake. Surely, there must be something else on it?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2010
    Thor wrote
    Southall wrote

I didn't notice that. Wow, that must be a mistake. Surely, there must be something else on it?

I think I need to call Craig
  1. If it is true about the second disc I'm surprised that they have not said anything about this at SAE. They must have known the "discussions" that that piece of information was going to start.

I'm not too bothered about the length of the second disc. It's the first disc and the 2 (?) booklets that is the main thing for me. And if these booklets are as extravagant as previous SAE releases then I'll be happy.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2010
    i'll call craig tomorrow
  2. sdtom wrote
    i'll call craig tomorrow

Tread carefully, I'm sure you are not the first to do so! wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2010
    http://www.wqxr.org/popup_player/#

a sunset boulevard broadcast
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2010
    Got the release of Sunset Blvd. in the mail yesterday from SAE and what a treat. There is a book with it along with a '45' (one track on a CD, cool idea). I love the OST. The Varese release with McNeely does have superior sound but not playing.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I think the RSNO orchestra did a superb job with their Sunset recording. It's a perfect companion album to the new Counterpoint release and I highly recommend that all film music fans have both albums in their collection.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. They said over at FSM about a month ago the reason for the second disc, was ... of course ... legal garbage.

But what legal crap it was, too, as someone overseas pointed out the second disc inflated shipping costs drastically. I'm sure other foreign costumers are experiencing that with this as well. An unfortunate set back which probably cost them sales.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    If money were no object then I agree. I need to go over and get my sweet sixteen speaker from my sister's along with my push/pull mono amp. I might really be able to improve the sound. Stereo doesn't cut it on mono. Neither do $100 phones.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2010
    I'm enjoying the new Sunset Blvd on my old mono speaker/amp setup. It does make a difference.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I just unplug my right speaker and listen only to the left. It does make a difference.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Mono sound through a 16 speaker mono enclosure does make a difference. Tease me all you want.
    Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    And listening through your neighbours set up makes a difference, too. All of our set-ups are going to sound different.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2010 edited
    You don't understand mono nearly as much as you think. I grew up with it. The dynamic range and frequency response were wildly different than the 'digital age' recordings. When you match the sound recording to a system of the day it sounds much better. The new digital equipment takes the flaws and magnifies them. You wouldn't listen to a Telarc recording from the 80's (something you understand) through this speaker. It sounds like shit. It can't handle the frequency response or the dynamic range. But a mono recording that was 40-12,000 max sounds fantastic. Give me some credit that I understand a little about stereo equipment and especially older stuff. Sometimes I feel like I'm talking to a white wall on this forum. I'm first in line to ask about computer stuff, and the new electronic equipment because some of you run rings around what I know but my father and I built this speaker along with the amplifier. How many speakers and amps have you made?
    Thomas sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2010
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2010/12/18/s … vd-waxman/

a must have for your collection
  4. Good review, Tom.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2010
    I put up the review on MT without the clips which are available on my site. I couldn't believe that I had to add Franz Waxman as a composer. Then again I shouldn't be surprised as there is only a small handful on this site who even knows who it is.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2010
    Thanks for putting it up on MT Tom. We need more of this material. smile
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2010
    We do for sure Bregt. Think of all of the wonderful scores Waxman had done and not one put up.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2010
    How do I get the clips to the site from Sunset?