• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. He won back to back academy awards for his scores to Sunset BLVD and A Place In The Sun. Both well deserving an two of the greatest scores of all time. Innovative for the 1930'a with his use of the theremin in The Bride of Frankenstein, he also knew drama with his scores to Rebecca and Peyton Place. Of course let's not forget his swashbucklers like Prince Valiant and Taras Bulba. Though both are movies I wouldn't mind never seeing again.
    I'm your Piper at the gates of dawn.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2007
    By far my favourite of the Golden Agers, and he was far more "modern" in style and tone than people give him credit for; at least far more so than contemporaries Newman, Steiner, Korngold or Tiomkin.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. If anyone is interested, Franz Waxman is BBC Radio 3 "Composer of The Week".

There's a series of 1-hour programmes Monday-Friday, 12:00-13:00 (repeated 20:45-21:45)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/cotw/pip/ja6te/
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2008
    My alltime favorite youtube video belongs in this topic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x9WwQvwEF8

Peter punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2008
    Prince Valiant is definitely one of my favorite Waxman score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    plindboe wrote
    My alltime favorite youtube video belongs in this topic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x9WwQvwEF8

punk

Great play! (Sunset Boulevard right?)
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Bregt wrote
    Great play! (Sunset Boulevard right?)

Taras Bulba! -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrrwzfAI … re=related

One of the greatest film music tracks in history, and one of the greatest scores as well.

Sunset Boulevard contains that annoying little piano tune playing again and again throughout. As a score it's nothing compared to the immense Taras Bulba.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2008
    crazy no comment
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2008
    I 've had the opportunity to watch both The Invisible Ray and Devil Doll that have Waxman scores in the past couple of nights. Nothing to write home about.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2008
    Haven't seen/heard those. But I would so love to see Taras Bulba, among others.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2008 edited
    Earlier today, I was listening to the wonderful PEYTON PLACE, and I would use this opportunity to once again recommend the FRANZ WAXMAN - A CENTENARY CELEBRATION 3CD-set, which includes spectacular rerecordings of REBECCA, SUNSET BOULEVARD and PEYTON PLACE. Gorgeous scores, stunning artwork, great performances. And the best thing of all? It's available for a mere $13 at Amazon. Seriously, man, I know there's a lot of stuff being released these days and it's hard to keep up, but you GOTTA have this:

http://tinyurl.com/66jso4

You can't go wrong with Waxman!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2008
    ^ What's this? Thor promoting complete and chronological film scores? The devil just put on a scarf!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I have all of those recordings and recommend that deal for $13.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2008 edited
    He, he...I know, Erik.

Of course, SUNSET and REBECCA, in particular, would have been even better in a re-arranged version (PEYTON works fine in C&C), but I decided not to focus on that here. Along with the price, this is far too good to be ignored. Believe it or not, but C&C isn't everything that occupies my time in my film music appreciation! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Sunset Boulevard is his finest score!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    sdtom wrote

It's very good, and quite different from other "film noir" scores. THE MALTESE FALCON, DOUBLE INDEMNITY, OUT OF THE PAST etc. All of these are great too, but Waxman created something special for SUNSET. More romantic, somehow, more "classical". If you know what I mean.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I love those three scores, Thor. Nice recommendation - there can't be many other film music collections around with that quality, for that price. Indeed, probably none.
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    Don't forget about Stromberg's Objective Burma!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2008
    There are a lot of fine Waxman scores but Sunset was just unique for such a special movie that it will get my vote over any of the others.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    If you don't already have these three scores then I agree: the opportunity to get them all in complete form for $13 can't be passed up.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    That Waxman set is awesome indeed. Another favorite of mine is the Varese Waxman compilation titled Legends of Hollywood (Vol 1-4). That's 4 cds of Waxgoodness!
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    brrr... you said the creepy "c" word... I kinda like the box set Thor brought forth because it apparently features integral presentations of each score, but an actual compilation that features main themes and highlights isn't my thing.

Granted, sometimes a compilation is a great way to be introduced to a composer you never would've considered collecting before. For example, without the "Orchestral Film Music" 2-CD compilation by Michael J. Lewis, I probably never would've discovered this highly talented composer, whom so many people still haven't heard of. It's thanks to that compilation that I avidly collected each and every of his full-length promotional score releases that started coming out afterwards.

So that makes me a bit of a hypocrite, but I can live with that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I don't listen to compilations either but they were invaluable for me when I first started out. That David Shire compilation that Intrada put together for him was awesome!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    HeeroJF wrote
    brrr... you said the creepy "c" word... I kinda like the box set Thor brought forth because it apparently features integral presentations of each score, but an actual compilation that features main themes and highlights isn't my thing.

Granted, sometimes a compilation is a great way to be introduced to a composer you never would've considered collecting before. For example, without the "Orchestral Film Music" 2-CD compilation by Michael J. Lewis, I probably never would've discovered this highly talented composer, whom so many people still haven't heard of. It's thanks to that compilation that I avidly collected each and every of his full-length promotional score releases that started coming out afterwards.

So that makes me a bit of a hypocrite, but I can live with that.

Well, it's gotta be said that the brilliant LEGENDS OF... set that Southall mentions contains lengthy suites, and are good representations of each score.

Other than that, I've gone more and more back to compilations these last few years. Like you, I veered away from them a couple of years into my soundtrack collecting, but I'm now appreciating them more again. The Varese 30th set, for example, is a recent acquisition of mine that gives me much pleasure. I wouldn't even have touched this thing 7-8 years ago.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    We shouldn't forget one of Erik's fav of all time: PRINCE VALIANT
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    I'm a major fan of compilations. The 30th Anniv set Thor mentions is great becuse theres so many scores in there that I couldn't be bothered with listening to the entire thing, but having a theme or suite is nice.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2008
    What a compilation is all about and why the majority of overall film score sales are exactly that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2008
    sdtom wrote

Ooops, sorry for berating it earlier then. wink Perhaps I simply didn't care much about it because I didn't enjoy the movie. Only time I really liked the music was when the woman was walking down the stairs at the end. But I'm openminded, and there's a real possibility that the score will grow on me over time.

Why do you like it? Which is your favorite track?

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2008
    I like the extended main title which incorporates the main theme and the Desmond theme. Great stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2009
    New release of Taras Bulba from Kritzerland:

http://www.kritzerland.com/taras.htm

It's a re-mastering of the original album (a re-recording). I must admit, I had been hoping for the original tracks, but still - this'll do!