• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2014
    Southall wrote
    Hopefully there is a simple solution to this mild irritant. On the current version of iTunes (for Windows), when I edit an album's Metadata, it waits for me to input the first word of say the Artist and then as soon as I press space it decides I want the first thing it can think of and makes me then go and re-edit in order to put in the second word I actually want. So for example if I want to change artist to John Williams, it waits till I type in John then it decides I must mean John Barry and therefore selects that. I then have to edit the artist again and overtype Barry with Williams.

Yeah, this was a problem with previous versions too. I have no idea how to fix it or turn it off.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2014
    That's odd. I've never had the problem before this version. Editing album info in general is much more of a hassle than it used to be. Do they seriously get good feedback on moronic changes like this from their test groups?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2014 edited
    That's iTunes auto fill feature. However, iTunes won't accept any change that you make (or any auto fill) until you hit enter.

Here's a simple fix that seems bizarre but might fit your issue. Found this solution HERE!

"DON'T type the Artist name correctly. As you've probably already experienced iTunes will try to "correct" the name to something you already have. Instead, start with a wrong character, then type the name correctly, then delete the wrong character. In your example, type zJohn Barry then delete the z."

That might mean a bit more work but will fix the problem you are having... I think. slant

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. I'm glad that I only use iTunes to play music and create playlists. Everything is sorted before a track enters iTunes!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2014 edited
    I've never had issues with editing tags in iTunes. But if I need to do some extra editing that iTunes doesn't provide I use four additional apps - each have their own strengths.

- XLD
    - The Tagger
    - TriTag
    - MusicBrainz Picard (a bit of a hassle but has assisted me in the past.)

All Mac programs, BTW.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2014
    Erik Woods wrote
    That's iTunes auto fill feature. However, iTunes won't accept any change that you make (or any auto fill) until you hit enter.

Here's a simple fix that seems bizarre but might fit your issue. Found this solution HERE!

"DON'T type the Artist name correctly. As you've probably already experienced iTunes will try to "correct" the name to something you already have. Instead, start with a wrong character, then type the name correctly, then delete the wrong character. In your example, type zJohn Barry then delete the z."

That might mean a bit more work but will fix the problem you are having... I think. slant

-Erik-

Ah yes, that should do it (though it's irritating that you have to). Should have thought of that. Thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2014
    zzzzzzzzzzzzz......John Barry.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

(sorry, just had to).
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Really need help though I think I've deleted everything.

My itunes was playing up. Things weren't showing up in Itunes, I had problems syncing to my ipod classic and lots of tracks wouldn't transfer to my iPhone. After a web search I thought I needed to restore my itunes library, seemed easy enough...

I did what it said and removed the library files and tried to import the iTunes Media Library.xml. After trying this once when it said there wasn't enough space the xml file has now shrunk to only 12kb and nothing happens when I try to import it again. It still says it was created in August 2010 but now it's tiny, I'm guessing it's gone for good! (?)

That's what I get for trying this from a web page while in a hotel in the middle of a rain forest, D'oh!

Any help at all gratefully received!!
  3. I am assuming that you don't have any useful back up with you?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. All my music files are here on a hard drive ok. My time machine back ups are back in the uk (and months old, oops). I could just add the files but then I'll lose all my playlists, playcounts etc... At the moment my itunes is absolutely empty...
  5. Phew, got my itunes at least back to the way it was a few hours ago by reinserting the "itunes library.itl' (whatever that is!). I might try and sort out the more deep seated issues with it when I get home but this just proves someone as computer illiterate as me shouldn't mess with this stuff!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2015
    Especially not when you're away from civilization.

Sorry I can't be of any help in the issue, btw.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Thanks Thor!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2015
    So I finally succumbed to the constant nagging by iTunes and upgraded to 12.1.1. It's always something I do with trepidation, because I KNOW there is something that will annoy in the interface.

Well, it was.

Do any of you (who have upgraded) know how to get the bar on the left back? There are very limited options in the "display" mode this time.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Plus, I cannot search the iTunes store. "iTunes store is unavailable for search. Try again later", it says. Anyone else experiencing this?
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Can you roll back to a previous version?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2015 edited
    Nope. Not that I'm aware of, anyway.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Sorry Thor, can't offer any help at all. I never budged from version 9.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2015 edited
    Press playlist button and sidebar returns. And iTunes Store has been experiencing some issues and downtime.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Press playlist button and sidebar returns. And iTunes Store has been experiencing some issues and downtime.

-Erik-

Ah, PLAYLISTS. Got it, thanks. Weird place to have it, though (and not in the 'display' options in regular view.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    How many times is Apple going to continue to fuck up this once wonderful and easy to use app? All of their changes since... iTunes 9 or 10... are idiotic. Change for the sake of change when there are so many outstanding issues that they continue to ignore.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    yeah

I no longer get exited when I see an upgrade is available, I just expect the worse.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    How many times is Apple going to continue to fuck up this once wonderful and easy to use app? All of their changes since... iTunes 9 or 10... are idiotic. Change for the sake of change when there are so many outstanding issues that they continue to ignore.

-Erik-

It is indeed mindboggling.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2015 edited
    Discovered a major new annoyance with the update:

When adding pictures to an album, you could previously go online, find a suitable one, copy it and paste it into the box in 'properties'. Now you first have to download it, then find it on your hard drive with an 'add picture' button. WTF are they thinking?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2015
    Hummm... I've experienced this problem SOMETIMES but I can still copy and paste an image to the album without having to download it first.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Hummm... I've experienced this problem SOMETIMES but I can still copy and paste an image to the album without having to download it first.

-Erik-

How? There is no field in which you can paste it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    http://www.tuaw.com/2014/11/03/how-to-s … itunes-12/
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor

Thanks, but it doesn't seem to work with 12.1, as the comments below confirm. It may also be specific to Macs and not PCs. It doesn't work for me anyway.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Well, I hope you've learned your lesson. Never update this piece of shit app.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Have you tried copying the file to your clipboard and then using CTRL-V?

-Erik-