• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2009
    Organization dilemma:

A problem occurs when I want a compilation CD with various composers stored under a single composer. For example: I want my M SQUAD CD stored under 'John Williams' on my ipod. So I write "John Williams" as artist for ALL the tracks. However, Williams only composed three of the tracks. So it feels like I'm mislabeling a whole bunch of tracks, but I really have no choice.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. There's also an "album artist" tag you can use.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yes Antineutrino, but that won't show up on the iPod.

I haven't managed to do something like that. Unless indeed you would fill in Williams as the artist or the composer for all track (which he isn't).

I tagged my copy as a "compilation" in iTunes, and now it does show up as one album, but under the artist "Count Basie" (who is the performer and composer of the first track). I have no idea how to change that to John Williams without violating the truth of the actual composer/artist.

Which brings me to the one serious frustration I have with the iPod: the inability to make a playlist that consists of albums rather than songs.
    I would dearly LOVE to create a -say- "Best Of Williams" playlist where I could shuffle through his/my favourite albums...but it's just not possible.
    Albums are only grouped on artist, composer or genre.
    Not on playlist.

This makes kinda sense from a historic point of view when MP3 players were 50 MB, and any plalist could just contain songs...but now with 120 - 160 GB players, it's a ridiculous proposition, and one long lamented in iPod land if I'm to believe most of the forums I've consulted on this annoyance.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah. Also, the whole ipod thing seems to be very much geared towards the SONG user, going from one song to the other, not so much people like us who prefer FULL albums, whether they're concept albums, film scores or long, classical compositions - which we want to listen to from start to finish as a single piece.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Thus the whole concept of is there a market for the classical aficionado and the use of an iPod.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    And just now....John Williams as the composer of FIDDLER ON THE ROOF. Poor Jerry Bock!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    Which brings me to the one serious frustration I have with the iPod: the inability to make a playlist that consists of albums rather than songs.
    I would dearly LOVE to create a -say- "Best Of Williams" playlist where I could shuffle through his/my favourite albums...but it's just not possible.
    Albums are only grouped on artist, composer or genre.
    Not on playlist.

I think this will only work with newer iPods (6th gen iPod Classic, 3rd and 4th Gen Nano and the Touch) that have the capability to nest folders. I'll have to test it out with my wife's Nano.

Create a new playlist, label it Jurassic Park and then drag and drop the Jurassic Park album into that playlist. Do this again with Star Wars. Create a new playlist, label it Star Wars, drag and drop the Star Wars album into the playlist. Do this will all your favorite John Williams albums. Now, create a [b}NEW FOLDER[/b] - NOT A PLAYLIST - label it John Williams and drag the Jurassic Park, Star Wars and other Williams playlists albums into the folder. Now, sync that folder with you iPod. You should see the John Williams folder on your iPod with the album playlists you created.

Again, I will have to test this out later with my wife's iPod.

Good luck!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Whoah! THAT would be EXCELLENT!
    I'll go and test that right away and get back in this thread to report results.

Man, if this works, I owe ya. BIG time!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    fireworks IT WORKS! fireworks

Obviously it's still a workaround, and requires me to create playlists for each and every album I want to include in "Best Of" folders (and trust me: on a 160 GB iPod, it's gonna be many hundreds... slant ), but at least it's A solution to a huge annoyance!

Many, many, MANY thanks Erik. beer
    Like I said: I owe ya!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2009
    Erik is a pro with the iPod
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I find it all complicated. I don't have the patience either. My iPhone is quite messy with untagged music, half of them have no covers, ... I'm so lazy. Gonna read through this thread and the other ones where Erik is God, and then do it again. But I fear I may have to tag everything I have rippd from my cd's, etc... Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Tag&Rename is God! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2009 edited
    By the way, how do I get the album covers on iTunes to work? Whenever I try to get the album covers, it tells me to get an iTunes Store account, which I have, but then nothing happens when I log on to that. Do I actually have to PAY to get the album covers for albums I've already bought? Why don't they pop up automatically like they do for most albums that are played in WMP?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2009
    With Windows Media Player I think that the image is embedded from the CDDB into the track once you rip the disc. This isn't the case with iTunes... at least it's never worked for me that way. The easiest way to add artwork is to find the artwork on the internet... soundtrackcollector and amazon are great places to find art... copy the art (Right Click>Copy) then in iTunes highlight all of the tracks in an album, Right Click, Get Info and then right click the art work box, click paste and then Ok.

OR

You can sign up for an account in iTunes, highlight all of your tracks in your library and select GET ART WORK. The issue with that is that your tags have to be identical to the tag within the iTunes database. For instance, I can rarely get iTunes art work because I tag my artist by last name first where as with iTunes they tag with first name first.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    My girlfriends daughter got a new phone and you wouldn't believe what I managed to do with it. All I wanted to do was take a picture and I managed to send a text, create a video clip, and dial a phone number. Yikes!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    My girlfriends...

You mean ladyfriend. wink

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ladyfriend is far too politically incorrect, I think. Perhaps xx-chromosome-acquittance is the correct term nowadays. Yes, that's far better!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Ladyfriend is far too politically incorrect, I think. Perhaps xx-chromosome-acquittance is the correct term nowadays. Yes, that's far better!

Yes, that or "piece" I feel are the best to use.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    With Windows Media Player I think that the image is embedded from the CDDB into the track once you rip the disc. This isn't the case with iTunes... at least it's never worked for me that way. The easiest way to add artwork is to find the artwork on the internet... soundtrackcollector and amazon are great places to find art... copy the art (Right Click>Copy) then in iTunes highlight all of the tracks in an album, Right Click, Get Info and then right click the art work box, click paste and then Ok.

OR

You can sign up for an account in iTunes, highlight all of your tracks in your library and select GET ART WORK. The issue with that is that your tags have to be identical to the tag within the iTunes database. For instance, I can rarely get iTunes art work because I tag my artist by last name first where as with iTunes they tag with first name first.

-Erik-

OK, gotcha. Cumbersome in both cases, of course, but at least with the first option, I get to keep my tagging system, which is the most important. With 1000 CD's, it will obviously take a lot of time, but at least I'll have something to do when I'm bored.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

OR

-Erik-

OK, gotcha. Cumbersome in both cases, of course, but at least with the first option, I get to keep my tagging system, which is the most important. With 1000 CD's, it will obviously take a lot of time, but at least I'll have something to do when I'm bored.

Well, there's also software out there that will find the art work for you. iAlbumArt was one that I used and it did an Ok job. Also Tag&Rename will find artwork for you through Freedb and Amazon. You also might want to do a Google search on the subject.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I grew up with girlfriend and that is what she is whether she likes it or not.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    I grew up with girlfriend and that is what she is whether she likes it or not.

You tell it like it is Tom punk beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote

Well, there's also software out there that will find the art work for you.

It's probably worth noting though that -if that option is checked- the artwork will be synchronized from iTunes on your iPod, taking up quite a bit of room.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2009 edited
    I'm about halfway through my CD converting, and my laptop seems to be totally allergic to CD-R's...no matter what type, how old it is or whether or not it has a label. Insanely annoying, as there's a lot of good music that only exists in CD-R format. It's especially towards the END of each CD-R that everything goes bananas. crazy
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2009
    Thor wrote
    I'm about halfway through my CD converting, and my laptop seems to be totally allergic to CD-R's...no matter what type, how old it is or whether or not it has a label. Insanely annoying, as there's a lot of good music that only exists in CD-R format. It's especially towards the END of each CD-R that everything goes bananas. crazy

Tell me, it has problems with CD-R but reads allright all kinds of DVD's and DVD-R's? If yes, your dvd-rom of the laptop is screwed. Time for a new one.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2009
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thor wrote

Tell me, it has problems with CD-R but reads allright all kinds of DVD's and DVD-R's? If yes, your dvd-rom of the laptop is screwed. Time for a new one.

Actually, I don't know if I have any DVD-R's, but yes - it reads DVD's and CD's perfectly. CD-R's are the only problem, it seems.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. I know that when I rip CD-Rs on my PC they are ripped at a very low speed (~6x) rather than the 24x they normally do. And sometimes they rip at slower and slower speeds by the end of the CD-R - sometimes even just stopping.

The way I got around this was to borrow an external CD drive, attach it to my PC and rip the discs via this external drive. That worked a treat.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2009
    If you rip in slow speeds and you always close the disc and don't leave it open for further recording sessions, you have way more possibilities than a conventional dvd / cd - rom (especially on a laptop) will be able to read it. Speeds more than 6-8x are catastrophic for many lower-performance systems.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2009
    I would argue that closing the session is the more imperative here.
    I couldn't find any technical corroboration to back me up (well, not one I understood anyway dizzy ), but from experience I find that -especially if you're using post-2002 hardware- speed is far less a substantial factor.

On older PCs, especially on CD writers from 1998-2000, though, it's best to use the lowest possible speed.
    It's something to do with synchronising the laser which really was still in its infancy back then.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2009
    Agree with Martijn