• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2009
    DemonStar wrote
    Miya wrote
    I prefer playing physical CD if I want a whole listening experience. I only use my iPod to listen to favorite tracks at school or in train.

Me too. Listening on the proper CD player is a much better experience smile

Physical CD in, computer off, is the best and absolute most enjoyable way to listen to music, ever, especially if you have a good hi-fi system. It's a shame most people today listen their music through crappy surround logitech / creative speakers.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    Miya wrote
    I prefer playing physical CD if I want a whole listening experience. I only use my iPod to listen to favorite tracks at school or in train.

Physical CD in, computer off, is the best and absolute most enjoyable way to listen to music, ever, especially if you have a good hi-fi system. It's a shame most people today listen their music through crappy surround logitech / creative speakers.

ABSOLUTELY!!!! punk beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I am sure it's one of the many factors people tend to enjoy music even less and less nowadays. Do it as an experiment. Find physical cd's, a good hi-fi system with LARGE SPEAKERS (when will people learn? music is about sound, sound is about physics and NO SMALL SPEAKERS WILL EVER BE ABLE TO PRODUCE REALLY GOOD SOUND GODDAMNIT!) get rid of the mp3s and leave the friggin computer off for a week. Then come and comment on your experience.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    I am sure it's one of the many factors people tend to enjoy music even less and less nowadays. Do it as an experiment. Find physical cd's, a good hi-fi system with LARGE SPEAKERS (when will people learn? music is about sound, sound is about physics and NO SMALL SPEAKERS WILL EVER BE ABLE TO PRODUCE REALLY GOOD SOUND GODDAMNIT!) get rid of the mp3s and leave the friggin computer off for a week. Then come and comment on your experience.

I rarely listen to music out of the computer....hardly ever.

Truth you speak D.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    With all due respect, but that's bollocks.

D., you of all people should know the importance of psychosocial elements as a crucial (not just contributing...crucial) factor of enjoying music.

When I'm in the proper mood (you know the one: port flows. Dimmed lights. That sort of thing) it REALLY doesn't matter if my muisc comes through a hifi installation, a computer, a record player or head phones.
    As long as the quality is good, it's the ritual far more than the actual technology that determines the enjoyability.

The CD vs. MP3 debate is echoed in time by LP vs. CD, LP vs. cassette, live performance vs. recording et cetera, et cetera. At the end of the day it's the setting that is the deciding factor.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    The sound quality plays a HUGE importance. It's not bollocks at all. There are a dozen of psychoacoustics' parameters that are directly linked to one's musical experience and which are integrally linked to audio quality in technical terms. Are these bollocks too ?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2009 edited
    Martijn wrote
    The CD vs. MP3 debate is echoed in time by LP vs. CD, LP vs. cassette, live performance vs. recording et cetera, et cetera. At the end of the day it's the setting that is the deciding factor.

It's not so much about the cd vs the mp3 here. It's more about a proper sound system. And sadly, for most people, playing the mp3s (which are most of the times below 320kbps) has been linked with very poor sound systems and / or pc speakers.

Now, if you use 320kbps as the source and plug it in a big-ass sound system, that's a different thing. By big ass quality sound system i don't mean conventional sound speakers of course.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I play all my music through my laptop as it has an optical out. Although it's nice to put a CD on without having to faff around with my laptop, there's is no difference in quality.

The only reason I'd put a CD on is if I use the downstairs hi-fi system back home since it takes more effort to set up my laptop with its external hard drive with all the music on. There is of course something satisfying about playing an actual CD...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    I play all my music through my laptop as it has an optical out. Although it's nice to put a CD on without having to faff around with my laptop, there's is no difference in quality.

The only reason I'd put a CD on is if I use the downstairs hi-fi system back home since it takes more effort to set up my laptop with its external hard drive with all the music on. There is of course something satisfying about playing an actual CD...

For me it's all part of the ritual.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    The sound quality plays a HUGE importance. It's not bollocks at all. There are a dozen of psychoacoustics' parameters that are directly linked to one's musical experience and which are integrally linked to audio quality in technical terms. Are these bollocks too ?

I didn't say it wasn't important. In fact, I acknowledged that the first thing you need is good quality. smile
    But when that criterium is met, nothing much else matters.

But I seme to have gotten hold of the wong end of the stick: I thought this was about the preference for physical media rather than purely digital media (i.e. CD/LP on a stereo over a PC sound setup).

That any music sounds better with a proper sound system pretty much is a given, I would think? confused
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I didn't say it wasn't important. In fact, I acknowledged that the first thing you need is good quality. smile
    But when that criterium is met, nothing much else matters.

But I seme to have gotten hold of the wong end of the stick: I thought this was about the preference for physical media rather than purely digital media (i.e. CD/LP on a stereo over a PC sound setup).

That any music sounds better with a proper sound system pretty much is a given, I would think? confused

Well, not for all. Remember the Koko looney with youtube? Bregje with the pc speakers (if i am not mistaken) and a lot of other people who play their music on computers?

Apart from that there's the pc white noise that masks a lot of your music without you realizing it.

And there's always something about physical CDs in a hi-fi that make the experience even better smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I plug an optical cable from my laptop into my hi-fi at home, so its exactly the same as using a CD player with the hi-fi, except that it's compressed music and it's a jukebox. wink

At uni, I use a pair of Creative T40s as anything else is overkill in this student flat. They're absolutely amazing for their size and price... but nothing beats a proper set-up, like the two I have at home.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    Miya wrote

Well, D, some of us just don't have the luxury to forget life and spend an hour or so to sit down, pop in a CD, close your eyes and give our undivided attention to the music. While that would be nice, it rarely happens.

I listen to all my scores either on my computer (with a damn fine set of speakers and sub), in the car (with a pretty solid sound system), or through my iPod into my pretty darn good boombox in the kitchen. And if I get a chance I will route my computer through my BIG ASS sound system downstairs to rattle the neighbours.

But I can tell you I don't enjoy the music any more or any less when listening here on the computer or on the big ass system or in the kitchen preparing dinner or in the car picking up the family. And I never miss a note or nuance because I play all my scores really, really loud!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    Miya wrote

Well, D, some of us just don't have the luxury to forget life and spend an hour or so to sit down, pop in a CD, close your eyes and give our undivided attention to the music. While that would be nice, it rarely happens.

I don't get the irony behind it. Who said i sit on my sofa doing nothing else apart listening to music? Even if i do that from time to time, that's not the frequent rule. Most of the times i do other stuff as well, that doesn't mean i should listen through crappy speakers or have the computer 24/24 on.

But you and Steven aren't part of whom i am addressing anyway, since you connect your stuff to proper sound systems and i DO happen to know Steven's in particular attention towards good systems already. As for your car and kitchen, if you have a proper sound system there as well, then my argument doesn't concern you either smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    Miya wrote

I don't get the irony behind it. Who said i sit on my sofa doing nothing else apart listening to music?

Well, what I described was what should be the BEST AND ABSOLUTE MOST ENJOYABLE WAY TO LISTEN TO MUSIC. No outside distractions. Just you and the music. Yes/No? So, that's what I was getting at...

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote
    Well, what I discribes about should be the BEST AND ABSOLUTE MOST ENJOYABLE WAY TO LISTEN TO MUSIC. No outside distractions. Just you and the music.

Pretty much the ultimate summation, Erik.
    That's it for me as well.
  1. I just don't get all this necessity for best-quality sound systems, etc.

I get just as much enjoyment listening to music through my headphones through my PC or on my mp3 player - I just don't have the luxury any more of devoting time to listening to music as a stand-alone listening experience, with the volume turned up to the max.

I just have "normal" headphones and "normal" speakers and I have to say that I don't think that I have ever felt that I am missing out by not having great big huge speakers that (supposedly) shows up all the subtle nuances of the music. What would be the use of very expensive speakers in a normal house that's going to absorb sound into walls, curtains and isn't the ideal shape for optimal sound dynamics?

How many people wouldn't listen to something like High Noon because it's mono and doesn't approach today's quality?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ Well said, Alan. As long as you enjoy your music who cares what anyone else says... unless of course you are looking to improve your sound system. wink

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's one of those "ignorance is bliss" things though. I used to have a 'normal' sound system and had no interest in getting anything better.... but then I got something a lot better for Christmas a few years back, and let me vouch for this: I would never go back to that old system.

My Creative T40s here at uni sound great, and if I hadn't heard anything better, I'd probably be content with them. But I actually look forward to going home simply because of my set-up back there!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ignorance is Bliss, is the right quote here Steven. Why not enjoy it even more?!

A proper sound system does attribute the reproduced sound field in more depth and in much higher homogeneity. Small and / or cheap speakers are physically incapable to reproduce accurately all the frequencies contained in the sound medium (be it a CD or a good mp3), due to structural restrictions that prohibit certain wavelengths to be reproduced along with other factors. There's nothing "supposed" or debatable in this, it's physics.

Other than that, a proper sound system will always work in any circumstance. The ideal acoustical conditions are one thing but since they are very hard to exist, not even in studios, it's not a matter of even discussing it here. So, even in our rooms, a good sound system is ages beyond a conventional one. And i am not talking thousand of dollars here, but costs that more people are able to afford.

Maybe the fact that you're used to listening music through conventional pc speakers is the thing to focus on here? Maybe if you tried the other experience, you'll too knew the difference asap?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Of course the older you get, the less important it is to get something high-end. Ah, to be young and still hear up to 18kHz. biggrin (I tested it, I can hear up to 18.5kHz. I'm awesome.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Do you hear absolute pitch as well?
  2. Steven wrote
    It's one of those "ignorance is bliss" things though. I used to have a 'normal' sound system and had no interest in getting anything better...

So, you were quite content with what you had - or were you always thinking that your system just wasn't up to the job?

Slightly off topic but still relevant here...I recently had the opportunity to try a pair of binoculars that cost £1500. I'd seen them in a shop at our local RSPB reserve and asked they guy what made them cost that much. When I used them I did think that were better than the cheaper (only ~£80) binoculars. But I've never thought that my own pair were not up to the job - and I still think that they do the job quite adequately.

The same with my sound system: it sounds fine. When I put on a Beltrami score (for example) I can hear that it's a Beltrami score I'm listening to. All the instruments sound fine and the music still delivers all the emotional power it was written for.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. Steven wrote
    Of course the older you get, the less important it is to get something high-end...

Pardon? Could you speak up, I didn't quite catch that. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Steven wrote
    It's one of those "ignorance is bliss" things though. I used to have a 'normal' sound system and had no interest in getting anything better...

So, you were quite content with what you had - or were you always thinking that your system just wasn't up to the job?

I was content. But having upgraded a few years ago, I can't believe what I was missing out on. I am a bit of an audiophile, I admit, and I understand it's not as important to others as it is to me to listen to the best possible sound. But I think there's a lot of people, like I was, who are content with their current set-up not knowing what they're missing out on. And it wasn't an instant conversion to audiophilia either, it took a little while to get used to the new system (not long though) until I didn't want to have anything of a lesser quality.

I know we bang on about it a bit, but a good set-up really does change your appreciation of a certain facet of music in many cases. At least it has for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2009
    One of the important uses that I will have for the ipod is to be able to download files from the classicsonline website. Will I be able to download directly into the ipod? My sound quality through my computer is less than. The files will all be 320kps.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Nope. Whatever interface program you use, you firstly download to your computer, then upload to your iPod. (But that's the same with any MP3 player.)
  4. Not really, iPod and some MP3 players demand special interface. Most of MP3 players though will perfectly work with drag and drop.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I hope so! Moonie is trying to help me. He just told me that I have to have an apple program to download.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    I hope so! Moonie is trying to help me. He just told me that I have to have an apple program to download.

Oh Tom... this is going to be a nightmare for you.

IM me, email me or call me and I'll get you straightened out!

-Erik-