• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2009
    Now, that's a good answer to what i am asking smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    I am not anti-ipod. I am asking users who already have it and experienced it, why a friggin' mp3 player has to have so many devoted pages to it in order to understand how it works? I just don't get it, that's why i am asking.

And to clarify, i think apple makes very good stuff and i don't think anyone can logically argue against that. The only thing i have against apple is their elitism against other companies and software and the stupid snobbyism of certain apple users, which of course might not be the fault of the company. But It's a friggin computer. It's an mp3 player. It's a laptop. Get over it.

Indeed, but you can't blame me for thinking there might be at least some anti-iPodeyness there. wink

But I agree, I don't like that attitude either. A Mac is a PC, it just runs on a different operating system (one that I happen to be very used to and enjoy using). But you can't let other people's bad attitudes rub off into your own. I honestly don't think iPods are as complicated or troublesome as you may think. I've had very positive experiences with all the Apple products I've ever bought, but I could never say they're better than anything else simply because I haven't tried many other things. I just happen to like Apple products.

If someone gave me a Sony MP3 player, I'd be chuffed with that too I'm sure.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2009 edited
    So, it seems is not so hard actually, just some people are somewhat lazy or stupid biggrin Makes much more realistic sense now! wink kiss
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    So, it seems is not so hard actually, just some people are somewhat lazy or stupid biggrin Makes much more realistic sense now! wink kiss

I suppose so. iPods are ball-bustingly simple to use!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2009 edited
    Well, i feel you. Laziness and stupidity sadly seem to form a very large percentage of the reasons behind all that is wrong in our world today. The other half of the percentage is made up of money (which equals power and sex) coupled with religious fanaticism.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Mmmm... I would add fear as a serious motivator as well.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2009
    My father is a computer engineer and runs a small computer shop. He sometimes says to me "Read instruction manuals and Helps first, and if there aren't any answers, then ask!", but he needs to be more patient with customers biggrin
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    biggrin

Well, he's right.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Christodoulides wrote

I'm not lazy nor stupid. Personally I think it should come with a manual which mine didn't. I had to download one. When I read comments from Demetris and Erik it makes me want to quit the whole mess and just be comfortable with what I have.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It wasn't directed to you Tom, it was a chance to discuss some things further. I thought it was evident, but i apologize if it came along otherwise.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I'm not lazy nor stupid. Personally I think it should come with a manual which mine didn't. I had to download one. When I read comments from Demetris and Erik it makes me want to quit the whole mess and just be comfortable with what I have.
    Thomas

Well, based on your comments, Tom, it is as if you took one look at the thing, through your hands up in the air and said, "ta hell with this" without even trying to figure it out. Plus, it doesn't help that your computer is so damn out of date that you can't install iTunes 8. Anyway...

Yes, the iPod is indeed a complicated little machine if you don't know what you are doing so doing a little research and reading on the basics will help you get a grip on the situation. Trust me, when some one told me about "tagging my music" when I first inquired about an iPod many years ago my first reaction was "WTF?" But, I looked on line, checked out a few message boards and read as much as I could and soon was able to rip and oprganized my digital music, tag my music and upload it to my iPod without any problems.

So, Tom, take some time and go to places like

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/ipod1.htm
    http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/tutorials/
    http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/help/

Also, don't be afraid to MSN me my friend. I'm always here to help.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2009 edited
    I was thinking this morning that nearly everything that I own came with a manual including my camera, phone, computer, printers, and the VHS/DVD unit with the built in hard drive. Believe me that was a bit of a challenge but because I had the book I can read and I figured it out completely.

I only said that at this point it is going on hold. I'm behind on my reviews and have some talks that have to be edited for language and then put up on a website. When they are edited it means I've to listen to the entire talk. I'll get back to it and I'm confident it will be smooth for me. My frustration is more of fear of the unknown which makes me uncomfortable.

Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2009 edited
    sdtom wrote
    I was thinking this morning that nearly everything that I own came with a manual including my camera, phone, computer, printers, and the VHS/DVD unit with the built in hard drive. Believe me that was a bit of a challenge but because I had the book I can read and I figured it out completely.

But you are looking for instructions on how to rip and tag your music. The iPod doesn't do that. It's basically a portable hard drive that plays your music. What the manual does show you is how to use the machine. That's all. And that's all it really needs to do. If you want to know how to rip, tag and organize your music then you will have to find that info else where.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Tom, when I first got my mp3 player I didn't know how to tag correctly and that meant that when I transferred my tracks to the player I just drag-and-dropped everything. Track titles and album titles were all sorted as I wanted the correct information displayed when I played them on my PC.

When I decided I also wanted to show album art on my player I was completely lost as I needed to know how to tag the tracks with the correct information in the proper way so that I could have the artwork displayed. And to cut a very long story short I realised that I had to sync my player so that the artwork would be transferred - dragging-and-dropping would not do the job.

So I had to find sortware so that I could tag tracks/albums correctly. Research is the only way to get the hang of what's needed to be done. But once you get familiar about what to do (and it's not too much trouble once you know what you need to do with the software you'll use) it actually makes populating your player so easy.

Sort out tagging, synchronise your tracks (I'd always recommend doing it manually so that you keep control) and everything will go to where you want to.

Keep at it Tom. The effort now will pay dividends in the long run.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2009
    Thanks Alan, I needed the encouragement
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's good to have friends to help you through these difficult times.
  2. sdtom wrote
    Thanks Alan, I needed the encouragement

I just want to emphasise that I was at a stage of pure frustration because I had no idea of how to tag my tracks properly in order to get the artwork to display.

But, research and perserverance led me to a solution. Now, I don't have to worry how to do it. One-two-three steps, a click of a button and it's sorted.

If it all sounds daunting there are people here who are more than willing to help.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    As you know I'm working on a review of The Soloist and I want to put up a couple of clips and now I find that wordpress doesn't allow mp3's. crazy
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2009
    My Philips MP3 unit is just fine, exactly what I expected. There is none of this having to go through itunes first.
  3. sdtom wrote
    My Philips MP3 unit is just fine, exactly what I expected. There is none of this having to go through itunes first.

Just a case of dragging-and-dropping?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2009
    Pretty much Alan. Windows XP recognizes the player. Any file I want to send to the player I can just right click the file and send it to the player. I can open the player file and delete any file I wish.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2009 edited
    Okay, I'm going to buy my first iPod soon, and I'm a little in doubt wether which one to get. The shuffle and nano are out of the question, so it's between the Classic and Touch. Since I just want to get my complete collection on the thing, I first blindly went for Classic, but now I'm realising I probably don't need all the space, which means I might also be able to afford the cool eyecatcher that is the Touch.

So, Thor and Erik, I've got a question for you smile. Thor: you mentioned that you got 815 albums on 56 GB. Do you remember on what bitrate that was?

I've got myself about 350 albums (which includes LotR: CR's and Star Wars complete counted as 1 album each, yet also 30 min. releases) which are approx. 70 MB each at a bitrate of 192 kb/s. So altogether they might take up about 24.500 MB, while the iPod Touch has 32.000 MB storage. Which would mean I've got about 7.500 MB left to store an additional 114 albums. Is this reasonable logic?

HOWEVER: Erik: this is calculated with having a 'normal' MP3 in mind, yet, when compressed by iTunes, would that take the same amount of storage? I heard you mentioning things like 'a 192 kb/s compressed with iTunes sounds like a 320 kb/s of a 'normal' MP3'. Aren't iTunes MP3's smaller or something?

OR: do you really have that full 32 GB at your disposal? Or are there some gadget that take up that same room, like some games they installed on it?

Hope you can help me out wave
  4. The first thing I look for is the space - you're always going to fill it at some point in the future!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2009
    Yes, there is some overhead for managing your playlists and the internal gadgets (which differ per model).
    However, on my 160 GB iPod, which is full, it amounts to no more than 400 MB in total.
    So it negligible.

iTunes MP3s aren't smaller: iTunes uses a proprietary format called AAC, which -apparently- delivers a better sound quality against higher compression. So a 192 kbps AAC would sound better than a 256 kbps MP3.
    I wouldn't know though. I use MP3s as that's a multi-platform format and should I in future decide to switch platforms (i.e. a non-iPod MP3 player), I want the least hassle in transferring my files.

For me to, in selecting a player, size was the primary criterion.
    The only reason I went with the iPod is that it wsa the only brand sporting a 160 GB player that wasn't just a portable movie player (their only competitor was Zen, but that had a huge screen was really geared towards watching films).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    BobdH wrote
    Okay, I'm going to buy my first iPod soon, and I'm a little in doubt wether which one to get. The shuffle and nano are out of the question, so it's between the Classic and Touch. Since I just want to get my complete collection on the thing, I first blindly went for Classic, but now I'm realising I probably don't need all the space, which means I might also be able to afford the cool eyecatcher that is the Touch.

So, Thor and Erik, I've got a question for you smile. Thor: you mentioned that you got 815 albums on 56 GB. Do you remember on what bitrate that was?

Sorry, no, I'm not too good on these technical things. Looking at the track info of a random track, I see that it says 160 kbps. Is this what you mean?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Martijn wrote
    iTunes MP3s aren't smaller: iTunes uses a proprietary format called AAC, which -apparently- delivers a better sound quality against higher compression. So a 192 kbps AAC would sound better than a 256 kbps MP3.
    I wouldn't know though. I use MP3s as that's a multi-platform format and should I in future decide to switch platforms (i.e. a non-iPod MP3 player), I want the least hassle in transferring my files.

Actually AAC isn't a proprietary format of iTunes/iPod. It's just one of the many compressed digital audio formats which Apple chose for iPod, I believe. There are other software & portable players supporting AAC... for example, though I don't know it's the same outside Japan, SONY recently released portable player supporting AAC.

But actually I don't know much about portable audio players. I only have an old 512MB iPod shuffle, because it was the cheapest at that time tongue This can hold only 5.5 hours of music as 256kbp AAC, but I mostly use it for playing a few of selected favorite tracks at school or in train, so it's enough for me wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You're right Miya, I should have used the term "default" rather than "proprietary".
    AAC is indeed supported on more platforms, but it's never gained the popularity and broad acceptance as the MP3 format has.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    BobdH wrote

Some research yields about 628 songs on an 8GB nano in the highest possible AAC compression,
    MP3 160kps stereo files will about allow for 1,615 tracks of to take up 7.1GB of space.
    MP3 encoded in LAME variable bitrate (extreme preset in most cases) results in an average 200, 250 bitrate, which will fit about 1100 songs on an 8GB nano

Again: mind that an '8GB' capacity isn't REALLY 8GB of user files. For example, the '16GB' Touch holds just 14.5GB of user data. The '8GB' can hold about 7.4 GB of data. This is not only due to internal operating files taking up space, but also the standard "consumer confusion":
    Although most manufacturers of hard disk drives and flash-memory disk devices define 1 gigabyte as 1000000000bytes, the computer operating systems used by most users usually calculate size in gigabytes by dividing the total capacity in bytes (whether it is disk capacity, file size, or system RAM) by 1073741824. This distinction can be a cause of confusion, as a hard disk with a manufacturer-rated capacity of 400 gigabytes may be reported by the operating system as only 372 GB large, depending on the type of report.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Martijn wrote

Some research yields about 628 songs on an 8GB nano in the highest possible AAC compression,
    MP3 160kps stereo files will about allow for 1,615 tracks of to take up 7.1GB of space.
    MP3 encoded in LAME variable bitrate (extreme preset in most cases) results in an average 200, 250 bitrate, which will fit about 1100 songs on an 8GB nano

Those researchers should realize "628 songs" by T. Newman (or Powell) and "628 songs" by Zimmer (or Horner) is totally different biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Sorry, I couldn't find a comparison chart for "tracks Bob likes". wink
    Obviously these are averages, but at 8GB disk space you could reasonably assume a good mix of track sizes.