• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2009 edited
    Miya wrote
    Martijn wrote

Some research yields about 628 songs on an 8GB nano in the highest possible AAC compression,
    MP3 160kps stereo files will about allow for 1,615 tracks of to take up 7.1GB of space.
    MP3 encoded in LAME variable bitrate (extreme preset in most cases) results in an average 200, 250 bitrate, which will fit about 1100 songs on an 8GB nano

Those researchers should realize "628 songs" by T. Newman (or Powell) and "628 songs" by Zimmer (or Horner) is totally different biggrin

biggrin

Smooth.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2009
    I do know that as time goes on you'll want more space. At that point be prepared to buy a new unit again, which might become necessary anyway as formats change. Ex... There is already a download process in the works which is superior quality to CD.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2009 edited
    Thanks everybody for the responses! It's very helpful smile

Martijn, good to know about the improved soundquality with AAC; the file itself might not be smaller, yet with this in mind, I could rip them at a lower bitrate without hearing the difference. Thanks also for the information that it's not 'really' 32 GB; I already suspected it, but I couldn't really find any evidence about the matter. It's a way of cheating the consumer, I guess, at least they should state that somewhere (like with packs of milk; there's a sign that indicates it's not completely filled, right?).

Tom, you're right, in the future I do want extra space, and I'm sure I might eventually use the full 120 GB somewhere in time, yet that won't be in the near future. It is of course something I need to take into consideration if I might opt for the 32 GB one. That within 1 year, I'll need to chose which albums not to include. At a capacity of approx. 400 albums (with Martijns suggestions in mind) that's still a lot of music, and for now, enough for my collection. But I've never gotten into the iPod craze (I still want to hear my music right off the CD's I've bought), and the fact that the Touch also comes with other handy applications (internetbrowsing; mailchecking; google maps) just feels like I'm getting more for my buck.

Oh, well... decisions, decisions... Of course, I know it's an extremely luxury problem biggrin

Thanks for all the help, guys! wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2009
    Martijn wrote
    Sorry, I couldn't find a comparison chart for "tracks Bob likes". wink
    Obviously these are averages, but at 8GB disk space you could reasonably assume a good mix of track sizes.

Hehe, it does give a good impression! However, Miya has a point in that track durations vary so wildly that they, imho, better could've gone with something like "400 full albums (of 70 min)". Of course, a 'song' immediately gives the regular consumer a clearer picture, since they think in those terms. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2009
    Keep us all posted as to which one you decided to get.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2009 edited
    I will! smile

By the way, a real big plus for the Touch is the fact you can actually listen to last.fm on that one, streaming. Which means I can listen to my webstation with a lot of (unlimited) filmmusic of my own chosen composers as a radio station, without using any extra space! However, I would need to buy about 30,- euro's a month to have a secure WiFi internet connection... (I need to look into that one a bit further first to see how secure that connection would be...).
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2009 edited
    Alright, I decided on the iPod Touch! Bought it last week, and I'm not disappointed with my choice still. Love the way it navigates and the presentation, and I found out 32 GB is more then enough for me! (I've got around 40 albums on it at the moment, at a bitrate of 128 kb/s in AAC (which sounds perfect for me; it's great sound quality! And when I'll listen to it carefully enough to hear the diminished bitrate, I'll grab the CD anyway) and it uses up 1,92 GB. So, I'm sure my whole collection gets on it - and then a lot some cheesy

Digitalising my collection all day now, which also gives me the perfect opportunity of organising the CD's itself as well (I had a structure some day, but it's mainly gone at the moment). Great way to spend a saturday! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2009
    In this case the MP3 player has saved the day for me!!! For some reason the new Harry Potter release of Half-Blood Prince would not play in either of my CD players but did work in my computer DVD burner. I was able to load the program into Audition and made a 320 file of it. Not sure what the deal is with that.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    The reason is because the score is nicht gut.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    No good. It's bad music, the mp3 refuses to play it wink tongue
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The CD players wouldn't recognize it
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2009 edited
    Mainly addressed at globetrotting Bregt I would think, but I'll take any advice: as I'm looking towards a 24-hour trip (or something) in a couple of months and the real possibility of lack of electricity for some days running while in situ, I'm looking for a device that could charge my iPod using conventional AAA or (preferably) AA batteries.

I have found a lot of "life extension" devices for the iPod, but these mainly function as backup batteries: i.e. they extend the current charge of iPods.
    If an iPod is empty they won't actually be able to recharge it.

So that's not really what I'm looking for. I'd really like a device to pop some batteries in and simply recharge my iPod from there.

Anyone ever seen/used such a "mobile charger" for iPods?

wave
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2009 edited
    I saw a cool item on iBood recently. It's a solar power thing that can be attached to USB devices. I don't take mp3 and iPhone on trips far away, though I admit, I missed the music in Laos.

It's called the Power Pal Universal Portable Solar Charger. dizzy
    http://www.ibood.com/nl/nl/product_spec … r_Charger/

Sold out now, but perhaps available somewhere else?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2009
    That's slightly over the top but very close to what I mean.
    Can't believe there's not something on the market comparable to that but working on good oldfashioned batteries.

Thanks, Bregt!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Martijn wrote
    That's slightly over the top but very close to what I mean.

Really? I like the idea. Never hassling with batteries anymore.

Can't believe there's not something on the market comparable to that but working on good oldfashioned batteries.

Yeah, well, batteries are oldfanshioned and kinda unhandy and non-replaceable right?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregt wrote
    Yeah, well, batteries are oldfanshioned and kinda unhandy and non-replaceable right?

Yet a shitload cheaper, available anywhere and way faster than solar power!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    True. But the sun is available everywhere too. tongue
    (not here right now though)
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Or here...or during the monsoon in Indonesia. tongue
    Batteries FTW!
  1. Martijn, would this help?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8165928.stm

NP: Carl-Jans Änglar - Mikael Carlsson
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2009 edited
    Ha, ha...I've just been using the "random playlist" button for the first time.

As of right now, I've gone from a-ha's "Crying in the Rain" to "Gratus' Entry to Jerusalem" from Rozsa's BEN HUR to a Michel Legrand song (can't remember which) to "Family Funeral/Lucius' First Drive" from Williams' THE REIVERS and now to "Air Towel" by Underworld. The first and last segues, in particular, were quite funny.

I wonder what awaits next. smile My whole collection (15 000 songs) comes to alive in a whole new way.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2009
    There are portable power packs that would do the trick for you Martijn. We use to sell them for electronic flashes so the principle should be the same.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2009
    Ha, ha....how about this one just now:

From "Remembrances" of SCHINDLER'S LIST to "Good Golly Miss Molly" by Creedence Clearwater Revival! Yikes.

This is fun, but I'll stop posting now. Promise.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. lol

That's quite a connection!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. Thor wrote

As of right now, I've gone from a-ha's "Crying in the Rain" to "Gratus' Entry to Jerusalem" from Rozsa's BEN HUR to a Michel Legrand song (can't remember which) to "Family Funeral/Lucius' First Drive" from Williams' THE REIVERS and now to "Air Towel" by Underworld. The first and last segues, in particular, were quite funny.

I wonder what awaits next. smile My whole collection (15 000 songs) comes to alive in a whole new way.

I've become quite addicted to randomly playing my favourite film music tracks - though I have yet to mix them with my "pop songs". I'm sure it's just a (pretty long) phase and I'll get back to whole CDs soon!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2009
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thor wrote

I've become quite addicted to randomly playing my favourite film music tracks - though I have yet to mix them with my "pop songs". I'm sure it's just a (pretty long) phase and I'll get back to whole CDs soon!

Yeah, I'm sure it'll pass. Right now, though, it's fun. Just went from "Sister Morphine" by The Rolling Stones to "The Chamber of Secrets" from the HARRY POTTER film with the same name.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2009 edited
    What I've found increasingly annoying is when iTunes simply refuses to do what I WANT it do to. This goes for two points, in particular:

1. When I copy-paste a new cover into the properties, it simply refuses to change!

2. Sometimes when I've copied an album that is spread across two (or more) CD's, it appears as TWO albums with TWO covers rather than just "merging" into one album - even though I make sure that ALL properties are similar! Weird.

And another nuissance:

3. Before I import a CD, I make sure that I change the artist and album name properly if it isn't already. However, the CD is nonetheless stored in a "samlealbum" ("compilations") folder on my harddisk, so that I have to MOVE it manually to its proper artist folder afterwards, then delete the files from the playlist and then import them AGAIN from the correct folder. Very annoying.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    What I've found increasingly annoying is when iTunes simply refuses to do what I WANT it do to. This goes for two points, in particular:

1. When I copy-paste a new cover into the properties, it simply refuses to change!

As in album artwork? Hmm, I've never had a problem with that so I can't say what the reason is

2. Sometimes when I've copied an album that is spread across two (or more) CD's, it appears as TWO albums with TWO covers rather than just "merging" into one album - even though I make sure that ALL properties are similar! Weird.

Easy. Make sure the album artist is the same for each track. Also, if you want to merge a 2 CD set into one album, simply highlight all the tracks on the first CD and tag them as "CD 1 of CD 2", then do the same for the second CD "CD 2 of CD 2", then highlight all tracks from both CDs and name the whole album.

And another nuissance:

3. Before I import a CD, I make sure that I change the artist and album name properly if it isn't already. However, the CD is nonetheless stored in a "samlealbum" ("compilations") folder on my harddisk, so that I have to MOVE it manually to its proper artist folder afterwards, then delete the files from the playlist and then import them AGAIN from the correct folder. Very annoying.

Not quite sure what you mean here, but again I think you have to make sure you change the artist/album artist to the same name. So if it's a compilation, change the album artist name to what you want it and it should save in that folder. I'm not sure though. Do you mean compilations of the same artist? Or compilations of different artists? If it's the latter, then you can see why it would put it into a 'compilation' folder. But of it's the former, you simply have to make sure the artist or album artists are all the same.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    As in album artwork? Hmm, I've never had a problem with that so I can't say what the reason is

Yes, the album artwork.

Easy. Make sure the album artist is the same for each track. Also, if you want to merge a 2 CD set into one album, simply highlight all the tracks on the first CD and tag them as "CD 1 of CD 2", then do the same for the second CD "CD 2 of CD 2", then highlight all tracks from both CDs and name the whole album.

I'm not sure I made myself clear. I like to access my collection when it looks like this. I just press play on the album and it plays. Sometimes, however, it is split into SEVERAL albums, when I obviously just want to have them in one album. It doesn't make a difference if I select "1 of 2 CD's". Look at the NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS albums, for example. I really want this to be ONE album, not two (even though the material has been culled from various sources).

Not quite sure what you mean here, but again I think you have to make sure you change the artist/album artist to the same name. So if it's a compilation, change the album artist name to what you want it and it should save in that folder. I'm not sure though. Do you mean compilations of the same artist? Or compilations of different artists? If it's the latter, then you can see why it would put it into a 'compilation' folder. But of it's the former, you simply have to make sure the artist or album artists are all the same.

I'll try to be more specific again. Sometimes when I press "import CD", the album is NOT stored in the artist folder that I want it to be, but in a "compilations" folder that it creates itself. Don't know why. I've changed the artist name BEFORE I import it, so it seems to be something it does on its own, despite "my orders".
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote

Yes, the album artwork.

I'm not sure I made myself clear. I like to access my collection when it looks like this. I just press play on the album and it plays. Sometimes, however, it is split into SEVERAL albums, when I obviously just want to have them in one album. It doesn't make a difference if I select "1 of 2 CD's". Look at the NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS albums, for example. I really want this to be ONE album, not two (even though the material has been culled from various sources).

As I said, you have to make sure the ALBUM ARTISTS are all the same, i.e. 'Danny Elfman', and that should sort out your problem. If not, then make sure all other things are as they should be like album name, and track numbers. If you still have the same problem, then I'm stumped!

I'll try to be more specific again. Sometimes when I press "import CD", the album is NOT stored in the artist folder that I want it to be, but in a "compilations" folder that it creates itself. Don't know why. I've changed the artist name BEFORE I import it, so it seems to be something it does on its own, despite "my orders".

Have you changed the album artist name too? I've never had this trouble though, so i can't really help. All I know is if I change the whole album so that all the artist tags are the same, it will show up in a folder that's named according to the artist. Again, try changing the ALBUM artist.