• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2009 edited
    Steven wrote
    As I said, you have to make sure the ALBUM ARTISTS are all the same, i.e. 'Danny Elfman', and that should sort out your problem. If not, then make sure all other things are as they should be like album name, and track numbers. If you still have the same problem, then I'm stumped!

Of course I have. That's the first thing I do - make sure that album artist is the same. In fact, I make sure that EVERYTHING is the same in the "properties" box!

Have you changed the album artist name too? I've never had this trouble though, so i can't really help. All I know is if I change the whole album so that all the artist tags are the same, it will show up in a folder that's named according to the artist. Again, try changing the ALBUM artist.

As I said above, I've tried that. Doesn't make a difference. The files are still imported to a "compilations" folder.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2009
    If that's the case, there's no real reason I can see why it should separate itself like that. If everything is tagged as it should be so that all tracks from the same album appear under one piece of artwork, then in theory it should do exactly that. There must be something askew with the tagging, and if all is as it should be in the tagging option in iTunes, it might be something embedded into the file itself in which case you'll have to tag the files directly. But as I've never had this problem, I don't know where to go from there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Wait a minute....I may have solved the "multiple albums" problem. I've always assumed that it was enough to have the "album artist" field BLANK - and that they would be identical that way - but I obviously had to enter the name there as well.

Geez...what's the point in having an "artist" field and an "album artist" field, anyway?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Also, with the compilations folder thing, go into preferences>advanced and then click the 'keep iTunes music folder organized' option.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    Wait a minute....I may have solved the "multiple albums" problem. I've always assumed that it was enough to have the "album artist" field BLANK - and that they would be identical that way - but I obviously had to enter the name there as well.

face-palm-mt

That's what I've been saying! biggrin

Geez...what's the point in having an "artist" field and an "album artist" field, anyway?

For compilations I guess. Same artist performs all tracks, but tracks from different artists; hence artists and album artists.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    What I've found increasingly annoying is when iTunes simply refuses to do what I WANT it do to. This goes for two points, in particular:

1. When I copy-paste a new cover into the properties, it simply refuses to change!

How do you go about changing the art work? For multiple items, like an entire album, first copy your art work by right clicking the image or the file itself and selecting copy. That copies it to your clipboard. Then select the tracks you want. Then right click one of the highlights tracks and slect GET INFO. In the box where it says ART WORK, right click anywhere in the box and select paste. Then click OK. You now have updated art work.

Do the same with single files however, after you select GET INFO, click the ARTWORK tab, then paste your image. Make sure your slider below are the art work is to the far right.

Thor wrote
    2. Sometimes when I've copied an album that is spread across two (or more) CD's, it appears as TWO albums with TWO covers rather than just "merging" into one album - even though I make sure that ALL properties are similar! Weird.

What Steven said. But you play your albums very differently. In order to play them the way you want then the artist field has to be SAME throughout. The entire The Nightmare Before Christmas album artist field has to be Danny Elfman. But, IMHO, the way your play your music is silly because you obviously want to play by album when your set up is actually organized by artists even with the album tab selected in grid view. You would avoid this hassle if you just played as a list and not as a grid or in cover flow.

Thor wrote
    And another nuissance:

3. Before I import a CD, I make sure that I change the artist and album name properly if it isn't already. However, the CD is nonetheless stored in a "samlealbum" ("compilations") folder on my harddisk, so that I have to MOVE it manually to its proper artist folder afterwards, then delete the files from the playlist and then import them AGAIN from the correct folder. Very annoying.

Before you import ANY CD make sure you the compilation box ISN'T checked. Once your CD has be recognized by iTunes right click the CD in the left panel and select GET INFO. You'll see a little tick box in the box left that says compilation. If you want the album in your compilation folder make sure it's checked. If it's not a compilation make sure it's NOT checked.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    Also, with the compilations folder thing, go into preferences>advanced and then click the 'keep iTunes music folder organized' option.

Shit! I did that and it started screwing everything up...ripping albums out of my neatly organized folders and putting them into the "compilation" folder with names that were "ingrained" in the files themselves. I pressed "stop" after just 10 seconds, so it was only some 15 albums that were messed up. No biggie, I'll put them back, but I'll NEVER press that button again! shocked
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! NEVER DO THAT!!!!
    Too late!

face-palm-mt

Steven, what were you thinking?!?! iTunes did that to me the first time I ever installed the software without NOTICE and fucked everything up. Took days to fix the problem. NEVER, NEVER let iTunes organize your folders! NEVER!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Thankfully, it was only about 15-20 albums out of 1000!

But thanks for the tips. iTunes is a dangerous landscape to trod.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    How do you go about changing the art work? For multiple items, like an entire album, first copy your art work by right clicking the image or the file itself and selecting copy. That copies it to your clipboard. Then select the tracks you want. Then right click one of the highlights tracks and slect GET INFO. In the box where it says ART WORK, right click anywhere in the box and select paste. Then click OK. You now have updated art work.

Yes, that's what I've always done. However, for some reason, sometimes the pic won't change. For example, I wanted to replace my SUPERMAN IV cover from the "FSM box" blue cover to a fanmade cover especially for that film. But when I try to paste it in, nothing happens. The "blue cover" remains.

Before you import ANY CD make sure you the compilation box ISN'T checked. Once your CD has be recognized by iTunes right click the CD in the left panel and select GET INFO. You'll see a little tick box in the box left that says compilation. If you want the album in your compilation folder make sure it's checked. If it's not a compilation make sure it's NOT checked.

Thanks, I didn't know that.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! NEVER DO THAT!!!!
    Too late!

face-palm-mt

Steven, what were you thinking?!?! iTunes did that to me the first time I ever installed the software without NOTICE and fucked everything up. Took days to fix the problem. NEVER, NEVER let iTunes organize your folders! NEVER!

-Erik-

Hmm, I've never used it. I assumed that it simply put files into folders with their respective artist names whenever you rip a CD thereafter? Sorry Thor, I didn't realise it would do that automatically with preexisting files.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote

Thanks, I didn't know that.

Yes, I should have looked in the tagging options myself. Erik is right, make sure it's NOT part of a compilation. (Why your settings have apparently done that automatically I'm not sure? That's why I was a little confused as to what you meant.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Yes, that's what I've always done. However, for some reason, sometimes the pic won't change. For example, I wanted to replace my SUPERMAN IV cover from the "FSM box" blue cover to a fanmade cover especially for that film. But when I try to paste it in, nothing happens. The "blue cover" remains.

You can also use third party software. AudioShell Tager is great because you can tag your files in Windows. Just install the software, find where your files are located, highlight them all, right click, select Properties, then select the AudioShell Tag Editor tab. Now, you have to make sure the art work you want to use has been downloaded to that folder or somewhere on your desktop. Then tick COVER ART, add cover, select the art work then OK. Audio Shell then embeds the art into the file. Your art work SHOULD also automatically change in iTunes as well.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    Hmm, I've never used it. I assumed that it simply put files into folders with their respective artist names whenever you rip a CD thereafter? Sorry Thor, I didn't realise it would do that automatically with preexisting files.

No problem. I quickly stopped it. The problem is of course the many crazy types of tags that are created in Gracenote etc. For example, having STAR WARS by Williams categorized as "London Symphony Orchestra" in the "artist" field or something. So I'm guessing that by marking that button, all CD's automatically revert to this status.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Steven wrote

No problem. I quickly stopped it. The problem is of course the many crazy types of tags that are created in Gracenote etc. For example, having STAR WARS by Williams categorized as "London Symphony Orchestra" in the "artist" field or something. So I'm guessing that by marking that button, all CD's automatically revert to this status.

Well, technically, that's true. The London Symphony are the artists that perform the work while John Williams' name should be in the composer category.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    What Steven said. But you play your albums very differently. In order to play them the way you want then the artist field has to be SAME throughout. The entire The Nightmare Before Christmas album artist field has to be Danny Elfman. But, IMHO, the way your play your music is silly because you obviously want to play by album when your set up is actually organized by artists even with the album tab selected in grid view. You would avoid this hassle if you just played as a list and not as a grid or in cover flow.

I know. But I like to see the covers, and I also prefer the collection to be in a more manageable "900 albums" grid than a "15.000 songs" list.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote
    Steven wrote

Well, technically, that's true. The London Symphony are the artists that perform the work while John Williams' name should be in the composer category.

-Erik-

Yeah, but I want as little "variables" as possible. Just John Williams - STAR WARS - "play". smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    I know. But I like to see the covers, and I also prefer the collection to be in a more manageable "900 albums" grid than a "15.000 songs" list.

Well, you can see the art work when the album plays in the bottom left hand corner.

Also, you can use the browser function which brings up three column at the top; GENRE, ARTIST, ALBUM.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote

Well, you can see the art work when the album plays in the bottom left hand corner.

Also, you can use the browser function which brings up three column at the top; GENRE, ARTIST, ALBUM.

-Erik-

That you can! There are many display possibilites.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote

-Erik-

IMHO you are just looking for trouble the way you do it.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote

-Erik-

IMHO you are just looking for trouble the way you do it.

-Erik-

Well, now that I got a little help from you guys on how to sort a few things out, I still prefer the "album grid" display that I have chosen. It's the closest I'll get to viewing my physical CD collection, and is more aesthetically pleasing, IMO. The collection kinda "greets" me with all the album covers and says - "Here, take a pick and play me!". smile
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Doesn't cover flow do an even better job? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote

You will still run into the same problems. But, if we managed to fix the problem for Thor and he's happy then we have succeeded here and must move on to help others in need!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    "Search" is the best function on iTunes. Second to that if you don't know what to play, shuffle is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote

You will still run into the same problems. But, if we managed to fix the problem for Thor and he's happy then we have succeeded here and must move on to help others in need!

-Erik-

The iTeam!

As opposed to... well you know... the A Team.
    Shut up.
    slant
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ^
    Grooooooooaaaaannnnn!!!!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote

The iTeam!

As opposed to... well you know... the A Team.
    Shut up.
    slant

There's no "i" in team!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ^
    Cliched Team building corporate speak....ARRRRRRRGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! vomit
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    ^
    Grooooooooaaaaannnnn!!!!

YOU ARE... correct. shame

Still, wherever there is quandary with iTunes users, we will be there to help! (Well, Erik will at least. I'll just tell 'em to ask Erik.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2009
    And while we were in such a groove, I could just as well ask another thing I've wondered about:

I have a few categories for "rarities" and "odd'n'ends" etc., especially regarding Williams and Elfman. However, I have problems getting the right succession of tracks here. For example, the RARE BREED suite by Williams. For some reason, its five tracks are scattered about and have lots of other tracks inbetween. How do I "edit" these tracks to play in my preferred order? You obviously cannot drag tracks up and down.
    I am extremely serious.