• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2012
    Yeah updating instantly once something has just came out is always dangerous ... i got served a lot in the past 'cause of this, too.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Sounds like I did the right thing with just sticking with the version of iTunes I had originally and have gotten used to?

I nearly always do this but my CDR drive has been giving me issues with importing and burning CDs and I hoped that a new version of iTunes might solve the problem. I updated late last night so I haven't checked for sure. Now I'm terrified of what fury thou hath wrought against my system.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2012 edited
    Demetris wrote
    It's a flashy windows movie maker whilst they took out all the manual customization features that made final cut pro a professional software.

And for those functions I'll still use Final Cut Pro (rarely), however for a standard edit I'll enjoy the much faster rendering of X and the magnetic strip which I find vastly superior to FCP (especially when it comes to keeping the project in sync). Not to mention the auto-save and endless 'undo' feature.

I think it's a matter of preference and what you need as an editor. I might even rate adobe over final cut in general, but I wasn't too stoked about their latest versions and have switched to mac for editing. I only have adobe premiere on my pc (which I don't use for editing anymore).
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    francis wrote
    And for those functions I'll still use Final Cut Pro (rarely), however for a standard edit I'll enjoy the much faster rendering of X and the magnetic strip which I find vastly superior to FCP (especially when it comes to keeping the project in sync). Not to mention the auto-save and endless 'undo' feature.

Old versions of FCP had auto-saved and endless undo's. It's all in the user preferences.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    Erik Woods wrote
    Old versions of FCP had auto-saved and endless undo's. It's all in the user preferences.

-Erik-

Yes, took me the hard way to find out! Also the hyperthreading of FCPX (I have a quadcore) is heaven compared to FCP. But I know most people consider FCPX 'hell', I'm just not one of those people.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I just that it was an unnecessary re-write of an app. that was already awesome! I'm glad you like it! Also, did they ever fix that issue of loading project not created in FCPX?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    Also, did they ever fix that issue of loading project not created in FCPX?

-Erik-

Yes, I think that was an update this year and there's an app you can use to convert them. Never had to use it, I keep projects separate. I had the same issue with the transition from Cool Edit to Audition, pretty frustrating when a new version doesn't support old projects.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    yeah

Good to know, Francis!

beer

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    By the way, my virgin editing software was pinnacle... I still wake up covered in sweat from all the trauma I surfered rendering projects on that back in the day biggrin

cheers

beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    I just updated to 11.0... So far, it's not too bad, IMO. At least from the standpoint that the album art is now displayed even more gorgeously when clicking on an album, going so far as to even alter the background and text of the track titles and times to fit the "feel" of the album cover. Pretty cool. The thing that really bugs me, though, is the lack of Cover Flow... They need to bring that back, if they want to keep everyone happy. There aren't enough different options for viewing albums, and without Cover Flow, in order to see the artwork in a playlist I've created, without resorting to "Grid View" (which only lists the albums alphabetically, rather than the order in which you placed the tracks in the playlist...), there is really no good way other than to click the near-microscopic cover thumbnail up at the top, which then expands into a new window... Nice for a larger view of higher quality art, but takes unnecessary extra effort. Cover Flow would make me a much happier camper. (Seriously, though, it's otherwise a gorgeous design.)
  2. I love Cover Flow!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2012 edited
    7 features that Apple killed off in iTunes 11

Apple = Idiots!

-Erik-

PS - They forget to mention that lack of art work in the left sidebar... my major gripe!

PPS - The search bar is terrible especially for large libraries!

PPPS - The font sucks!
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2012
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I love Cover Flow!

Cover flow is great BUT I don't like how it downgraded high quality covers and made them look blurry. An issue I was hoping they'd fix with an update but now they've left it out altogether.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2012
    I never used cover flow for anything. But I always used 'album view'....and the option to edit the size of the album thumbnails was very important to me.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2012
    Can you not view album lengths in it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    A patch can't come fast enough!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Southall wrote

Nope. Also, when you select multiple tracks (i.e. an album), it doesn't tell you at the bottom how many tracks you've selected.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    William wrote
    Southall wrote

Nope. Also, when you select multiple tracks (i.e. an album), it doesn't tell you at the bottom how many tracks you've selected.

If you are talking about the staus bar at the bottom of iTunes you can restore it.
    http://www.itworld.com/software/323227/ … -itunes-11

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2012
    THANK YOU. cheesy On a side note... Guys, I just noticed something that is really puzzling me. I recently got all four season soundtracks of Battlestar Galactica, and while at the time, when I used the "Get Album Art" feature in iTunes, it gave me some pretty slick, high-quality covers (as usual), I just tonight noticed that these covers have been seemingly removed from the iTunes Store. Do a search for "Battlestar Galactica" in iTunes and tell me I'm not seeing things; for some reason, some idiot decided to re-upload the cover for those four soundtracks, and man, is it crappy. vomit Unless I'M the idiot, and they did some reissue that I was unaware of. But this just looks plain low-grade. Granted, I already got the nice artwork from iTunes when it was available, and even if I hadn't, the web is full of nice images of cover art, but the point I'm trying to make is, why?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2012
    William wrote
    but the point I'm trying to make is, why?

A perfect way to sum up this disaster!

-Erik-
  3. Where is the file that keeps the details of the iTunes playlist kept? And can it be viewed as a text file?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2012
    It can be found in Windows at:
    C:Users<insert name here>MusiciTunesiTunes Music Library.xml
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2012
    and apparently backslash does not work on this forum ;-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2012 edited
    \

Type a double backslash. wink
    Kazoo
  4. Caliburn wrote
    It can be found in Windows at:
    C:Users<insert name here>MusiciTunesiTunes Music Library.xml

Thanks.
  5. I have another question.

Currently I have a large playlist of favourite tracks I listen to on a regular basis. But if I want to listen to any albums I have to plug in my external hard drive which houses these albums and play the album via an alternate player - usually MediaMonkey.

But I would like to add the albums contained on this external hard drive to my iTunes library. Is this possible for a disc that would not be connected all the time? Would iTunes throw a fit when it cannot find these files when the drive is not attached or is it the case that the files would just not play if I tried to play them because they are not there?

And, if I can add these files to my library, how can I get iTunes to scan and monitor the external drive to add the albums?
  6. I've had a thought - and I think that this has put me off trying to do this before - if I add these new albums to my iTunes library, would iTunes try and add them to my iPod the next time I sync it? Or can I specifically tell the syncing process just to sync the "Favourites" playlist?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2012 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    And, if I can add these files to my library, how can I get iTunes to scan and monitor the external drive to add the albums?

You can add these to your library but when the hard drive isn't connected to the computer you will see a grey circle with an exclimation point beside the track(s) meaning that it's (they) not available. But when you plug in your hard drive and restart iTunes the tracks will be available.

FalkirkBairn wrote
    I've had a thought - and I think that this has put me off trying to do this before - if I add these new albums to my iTunes library, would iTunes try and add them to my iPod the next time I sync it? Or can I specifically tell the syncing process just to sync the "Favourites" playlist?

Yes, you can tell iTunes only to sync with selected playlists. That's how I sync my iPod with iTunes.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2012
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    But I would like to add the albums contained on this external hard drive to my iTunes library. Is this possible for a disc that would not be connected all the time? Would iTunes throw a fit when it cannot find these files when the drive is not attached or is it the case that the files would just not play if I tried to play them because they are not there?

No problem: you can add everything and then detach the disk without your library throwing a wobbly.
    It's just when you'd try and sync with files on the (detached) hard disk or try to play them that the dreaded exclamation mark (indicating things being horridly wrong with something) appears

To add it to scanning and monitoring I've never tried. I can only vouch for it working when you add files/folders manually.

FalkirkBairn wrote
    I've had a thought - and I think that this has put me off trying to do this before - if I add these new albums to my iTunes library, would iTunes try and add them to my iPod the next time I sync it? Or can I specifically tell the syncing process just to sync the "Favourites" playlist?

Yes, you can tell iTunes which playlists to sync and which not.
    Attach your iPod, click it in iTunes, go to the "Music" tab, tick "Selected Playlists, Artists and Genres" rather than "ENtire Library". Now you can pick and choose what you want to sync.

Note though that I am still on iTunes 9 (don't ask...10 and 11 are unmitigated disasters to me), so there may be difficulties or differences with newer versions I am not aware of. Can't imagine they deleted this option though.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  7. Thanks guys.