• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Caliburn wrote
    It can be found in Windows at:
    C:Users<insert name here>MusiciTunesiTunes Music Library.xml

Can this file be viewed separately from iTunes to see what tracks are contained in the library? I know that it can't be viewed as a txt file.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2012
    No, not really (well, not in any way easily, anyway). That would require extensive scripting.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. Martijn wrote
    No, not really (well, not in any way easily, anyway). That would require extensive scripting.

That's fine. I was just curious if I could keep a separate spreadsheet/list of what's in playlists. Maybe export the list somehow like I could in MediaMonkey.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Martijn wrote

That's fine. I was just curious if I could keep a separate spreadsheet/list of what's in playlists. Maybe export the list somehow like I could in MediaMonkey.

I could export the playlist as an *.m3u but the question would be the same, can I view the playlist as a text file?
  4. Or I could just duplicate the playlist in MediaMonkey and then create a track list report from there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You can export playlists to .txt files from iTunes, can't you?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  5. I may have missed that but I will recheck.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    Not that I know of.

As an IT guy I will probably write something that will read that file and make it more understandable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It certainly does.
    Right-click playlist, choose "export", .txt is actually the first option. smile
  6. I use MusicBee (http://getmusicbee.com/) for almost one year. IMHO the best iTunes alternative for Windows with many customizing options.

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/2113/musicbee.png
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2012
    Martijn wrote
    It certainly does.

I see. Cheers

Not sure if it is what I want though..
  7. I exported as a text file and it is almost what I am looking for - but there's too much information! It does allow me to get a snapshot of what's in a specific playlist.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2012
    Caliburn wrote
    Martijn wrote
    It certainly does.

I see. Cheers

So tell me what you want,
    what you really, really want.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2012 edited
    [nevermind. After an iTunes update, it worked]
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2012
    Martijn wrote
    Caliburn wrote
    Martijn wrote
    It certainly does.

I see. Cheers

So tell me what you want,
    what you really, really want.

Some kind of zigga zig ahhh something or another? Surely not!?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    [nevermind. After an iTunes update, it worked]

And there you go cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    That is the problem i do not know what i want.. :-P but not that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2013
    Hilarious!

I just reached 1000 albums in my iTunes, and at the bar at the bottom it says the collection is 0 seconds and 0 kB. It's as if the "counter" has been reset or something.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2013
    OK, so here's the deal.

Twice now have I contacted iTunes with a specific query, but only received standardized replies in response that is of absolutely NO value or relevance to my problem. This has happened to me before too. It annoys me and I need to vent!

I'm also posting this here because I'm hoping some of YOU can help me!

My problem:

1. I downloaded a single music file from their store.

2. I accidentally edited it into the wrong album

3. I tried to delete it (but keep the file)

4. It wasn't removed. Quite the contrary, I ended up with a library file that cannot be deleted and cannot be edited (all the edit areas are greyed out)!

It ruins my album not only because I can't get the file outta there, but because its cover is applied to the whole of the album.

There's a 'cloud' icon next to the file, but when I click it, it says that the 'object is not available'. It has said so for many days now.

HELP ME!! PLEASE!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I managed to re-download the file from the friggin' 'cloud' thingie.

But it annoys that one is not able to delete a file from the library display once you've downloaded it from the store. It's still visible in the display, "in case you want to re-download it again from the Cloud thing".

Sometimes, you just want to have a track on your harddrive, but not necessarily in the library display.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    I completely share your frustration...
  8. Argh, iTunes... I love it yet hate it. I love it for the great offering of titles. And that's about it. I download what I want and use it for nothing else.

The program is amongst the most ridiculous I've ever come across. It's too large, too slow, uncustomisable, poorly updated, etcetera. For a company like Apple, known for esthetically pleasing and typically really good hard- and software, iTunes is just an abomination.

Even the folder structure it creates on my HD... Downloads go into a 5th(!) subfolder. Or 6th even, depends on how you count.

But then... Amazon and Google Play have got their own quirks. Can never please everyone. Unless you're Debbie from Dallas.
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I only use iTunes for syncing my iPod and creating playlists.
    I never use it for downloading and I CERTAINLY don't use it for "automatically organising" my collection.
    I should probably switch to one of the free alternatives one of these days. If I can be bothered. It does what I need it to do and nothing else, although the massive resource hogging it does annoys me.

Anyway, I'm no help here, sorry Thor. Its just not how I use iTunes.

Synchrotones wrote
    Can never please everyone. Unless you're Debbie from Dallas.

biggrin applause
  9. I know everybody hates it but I use MS MediaPlayer. The works just fine for me although, as the collegtion grows bigger, it tends to be erratic with the cover icons that get scrabled all over the place. But the folder structur is plain and simple.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2013 edited
    Beside the utter stupidity of the iTunes 11 redesign, I've never really had an issue with iTunes. It's a great player for me and for what I want to do with my digital music collection.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  10. Captain Future wrote
    I know everybody hates it but I use MS MediaPlayer.

Yeah, I use MediaPlayer a lot of the time to.. well, play media. I don't use its library. I don't use any library other than my own folder structure. Sometimes though, MediaPlayer won't recognise *wav files for whatever odd reason. So I tend to toggle between MediaPlayer and WinAmp. (I quite like MediaPlayer because it seems to be able to go louder...)

I used MediaPlayer to rip my CD collection which did prove a bit of a nightmare, in that it would crash every other time. Very annoying. I also didn't realise (i.e. forgot) that *wav files don't retain tagged info like mp3s do, until after I had ripped several hundred scores, meticously adding titles/composers/etc, LOL. crazy

<s>
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
  11. Erik Woods wrote
    Beside the utter stupidity of the iTunes 11 redesign, I've never really had an issue with iTunes. It's a great player for me and for what I want to do with my digital music collection.

-Erik-

Same for me.

Never let iTunes organise your library! Untick that box immediately. I buy a lot from iTunes but I have control of what happens to it. I delete any I download from iTunes (but keep the files), move the files from where they are downloaded to, retag them the way I want them and the copy them to the 'Automatically add to iTunes' folder and iTunes shoals them off to a folder of its choice and adds it to the library on my terms.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    And anyone that uses iTunes on a Mac and wants to add some customization check THIS PAGE out!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Same for me.

Never let iTunes organise your library! Untick that box immediately. I buy a lot from iTunes but I have control of what happens to it. I delete any I download from iTunes (but keep the files), move the files from where they are downloaded to, retag them the way I want them and the copy them to the 'Automatically add to iTunes' folder and iTunes shoals them off to a folder of its choice and adds it to the library on my terms.

Then I'm sorry to tell you that this new 'cloud' business prevents you from getting that control. Even after you delete the track in your library, it still sticks around -- FOREVER!
    I am extremely serious.
  12. It need not be. There is an option somewhere to remove iCloud tracks from your library. I had this but it took ages to find how to remove them. There is a box that needs checking/unchecking.

I am away from computed ATM. But will try to find it later.