• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Can't you remove the 1/2 2/2 tag with some mp3 tag editor? I'm using mp3tag.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2018 edited
    No, I've added those tags myself. They were supposed to make the two things merge (the Disc 1 and 2 thus only being visible in ONE album). But despite having identical tags, they still display as two albums.

By the way, the two CDs are in two separate folders on my harddrive, but that shouldn't make a difference when tagging the albums for iTunes use.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Are they subfolders of the same THE CORE folder? Doesn't iTunes treat separate folders as separate albums?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Are they subfolders of the same THE CORE folder? Doesn't iTunes treat separate folders as separate albums?

Yes, they are sub folders, but I've never had this problem before. I've always had each CD in their respective sub folder for multiple CD sets, and it's never caused a problem when "assembling" them in iTunes. Weird.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2018
    Make sure all of your SORTING tags are all the same. Sometimes different sorting tags can separate albums.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Make sure all of your SORTING tags are all the same. Sometimes different sorting tags can separate albums.

-Erik-

They are the same.

I even tried to remove the 'disc 1/2' tags in the hope they would merge (and I could separate them afterwards), but that didn't work either.

I guess I could try to put the CDs in the same folder, rename the tracks, import the album and then try to separate them in disc 1/2 again inside iTunes. But lots of work!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2018
    Make sure you are checking the SORTING TAGS. They are in a separate tab from your main tags. SORTING TAGS allow you to sort your music without impacting your main tags like NAME, ALBUM, ALBUM ARTIST, ARTIST and COMPOSER.

Once you highlight all the tracks in the album you want to change, click get info and look for the SORTING TAB, not the DETAILS tab.

BTW, moving your music to another folder won't matter. This has everything to do with Metatags.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2018 edited
    Yeah, I did check the 'sorting tag', not the 'details tag'. They are identical. Everything is identical, so they should have merged.

Perhaps there's something I need to do with the files themselves? They're not write-protected or anything.

It's bizarre. This has never happened before; there's always been some small detail I've overlooked that has prevented the merge, but I've looked it over again and again and again. I can't find anything, in any tags, that is different.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2018
    Send me a track from disc 1 and disc 2 and I’ll have a look for you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    OK, done!Thanks!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Just what I thought.

Your album titles are different.

Disc One is labeled as The Core . Disc two is labeled as The Core. You have a single blank space after the "e" on disc one.

So, highlight every single track in the album and rename it The Core.

Fixed.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Aaaargh. So were WAS a tiny detail I overlooked after all!

Thanks for looking at it with a keen eye, Erik.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Any time my friend!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2018 edited
    [Nevermind...I think I sorted it out]
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Does anyone know if you can change track numbers of multiple tracks at once (other than changing them all to the same number)?

I often cut tracks into smaller parts, and it's annoying if, say, I decide to cut track #2 of a 20-track score into two parts and then have to manually add +1 to every track after it. Does anyone know of a way to do that more efficiently and in a less time-consuming manner?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2018
    I don't think there is. One of the major hassles of iTunes -- you can't just click-and-drop sequence of album tracks (unless you're doing playlists), but have to add each track number manually.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2018
    This might work for you... as long as you are an Apple user.

https://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ … numbertags

-Erik-
  4. Ah, sadly I am not. Thanks anyway. smile
  5. Have any Mac users updated their operating systems to Catalina? I know everything is meant to get transferred across to the news Music App that has replaced iTunes but I've heard some people have had problems with their manually added album art carrying across.
  6. I’m having a very frustrating issue when I change album art on an album in iTunes it creates a playback fault when I play the album on one of my two ipod touches. At the end of every track it repeats the last 5 - 15 seconds of the track. When I play those songs on iTunes on my Mac or on my iPhone they are fine so it is not a problem with the files. I have restored both iPod touches but it does not solve the issue. I remove the albums from the device and resync it but they have the same problems with the same tracks on both ipod touches which suggests it is an ipod touch issue. If I change the art back or remove album art entirely the playback fault remains.

It is extremely frustrating, it's clearly something that iTunes itself is doing to the file when the album art is changed that is then permanently attached to the file and messing up playback on the iPod touches. I’ve searched endlessly online and cant find anyone else with the issue, I’ve spent hours on the phone to Apple about it but they don’t seem overly interested in trying to solve it. Any help or advice would be most appreciated!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2020 edited
    Wow, that's bizarre. I don't even own an iPod touch, so I can't be of much help. But hoping someone else here can. Have you thought about taking it to an Apple store, physically, if one exists near where you live? They can't escape their obligation to help as easily then.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Sorry, I also don't have an ipod touch and haven't experienced this problem. :/
  8. I have run into a very frustrating issue. I have finally updated my macbook operating system from Mojave to Catalina as I was having an album art issue on my iTunes which they say is fixed in the music app in Catalina.

However now that I’ve done so play counts on my music app do not update when I sync my ipod touch, iPhone or iPad. I have spent hours on the phone to Apple and the result is they say there is no way to have my play counts update from my devices now unless I subscribe to either Apple Music or Itunes Match. It seems insane that they would stop such a standard feature from all previous versions of iTunes, they do nots seem interested in fixing the issue.

I can now either live with the lack of play counts updating in Catalina or downgrade to Mojave again and have artwork issues. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
  9. I got this advice on another forum:

'Look in System Preferences > Sharing > Media Sharing, to confirm “Devices update play counts” has been selected.'

I did this and the play counts updated from all of my devices! But unfortunately after restarting my mac all of the play counts made after the Catalina update were now gone again. Any ideas how to sort this new issue?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2023 edited
    Currently trying to organize my meta-data, so it's all the same. A tremendous amount of work when you have almost 2500 albums. People who put the track number in the track title name, to say nothing of those who also put the composer and film title in the track titles, should be shot on the town square! I have to edit each track one by one.

For Odin!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    Thor wrote
    Currently trying to organize my meta-data, so it's all the same. A tremendous amount of work when you have almost 2500 albums. People who put the track number in the track title name, to say nothing of those who also put the composer and film title in the track titles, should be shot on the town square! I have to edit each track one by one.

Sorting out meta-data on tracks and albums is something I spend hours doing - I love it!

One of the things I HATE about streaming playlists from Spotify is that there's no consistency with the meta-data. All those instances where things like "original motion picture soundtrack", or "remastered 2021" that are added to the titles of albums and tracks mean that I will not use Spotify to stream and prefer to stream my own tracks - which are all tagged correctly.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Sorting out meta-data on tracks and albums is something I spend hours doing - I love it!

Well, if I'd had had the time, I would probably find some enjoyment in it too. However, I'd rather use my brief window of sparetime right now to do other outstanding jobs instead. But this has been on my calendar for a long time, and when I had to import my entire collection all over again (after a PC repair resulted in a hard disk wipe), I had to both edit the titles I had already edited, as well as new ones.

One of the things I HATE about streaming playlists from Spotify is that there's no consistency with the meta-data. All those instances where things like "original motion picture soundtrack", or "remastered 2021" that are added to the titles of albums and tracks mean that I will not use Spotify to stream and prefer to stream my own tracks - which are all tagged correctly.

Yes, those are annoying. Thankfully, I just use Spotify for sampling the odd thing, I don't download anything from there or use it as a main music player in any way.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote

:thor:

These things can easily be fixed with apps like MusicBrainz Picard (https://picard.musicbrainz.org) and The Tagger (https://deadbeatsw.com/thetagger/) They've save myself from tons of headaches with metadata.

Thor wrote
    and when I had to import my entire collection all over again (after a PC repair resulted in a hard disk wipe), I had to both edit the titles I had already edited, as well as new ones.

I hope you've learned your lesson and are backing up your digital collection.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2023
    Erik Woods wrote
    These things can easily be fixed with apps like MusicBrainz Picard (https://picard.musicbrainz.org) and The Tagger (https://deadbeatsw.com/thetagger/) They've save myself from tons of headaches with metadata.

Thanks for the tip! I've heard of musicbrainz before, but thought it was just a music database website a la Discogs. I'll check them out!

I hope you've learned your lesson and are backing up your digital collection.

Definitely! I had backed up my collection a few years ago too, when my computer crashed, but only on an external hard drive that fell to the floor and stopped working shortly after I started importing! (my old iPod came to the rescue then, when it was working, along with Alan and other helpers). Now it's backed up both on an external drive, as well as on a NAS drive.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. I have been thinking about looking into having my music accessible via an NAS but I am not sure where to begin!

I have this (perhaps idealised) idea that the NAS would allow me to gain quick 24/7 access to all my music. At the moment, my music is on an external hard drive that acts mostly as one of my two back-up external hard drives. When I want to listen to an album I have to hook up the hard drive to my laptop and play it through that. By the time that has happened I have lost the enthusiasm for the album and I revert back to my phone's favourite tracks.

In this idealised scenario the NAS would be the source of all my music which I could (somehow, via my wi-fi?) play through my soundbar that is hooked up to the TV