• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. So, I know you probably have already started a thread like this before that I can't find, but I'd be interested to hear your favorite tracks from certain soundtracks. Because I don't know about you, but I often find a favorite and I eagerly await it's play on the soundtrack that I'm listening to and am not really satisfied listening to the score until I've heard my favorite part - it could be the melody with a certain combination of instruments that really moves me, or a favorite instrument playing a certain part, cool percussion, harmonies, etc., but in most of my favorites scores, there is a part somewhere that stands out. I think it'd be fun to list a soundtrack and have everyone comment on their favorite track of that soundtrack, but you have to explain why. If it's hard to put into words, just do your best! smile Sound fun?
    Let's start with one that's easy for me, because I'm starting this thread. smile

Soundtrack: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - John Williams
    Track of Sound: (10) The Norwegian Ridgeback And A Change Of Season
    Moment In The Film (Vaguely): When Harry is in a snow filled courtyard and it's snowing outside
    Why I Love It: Specifically the Change of Season part, but the sweeping violins seems to carry me away with the snow and the horns are mesmerizing and man, it just touches me.

Now your turn! What's for favorite track in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone?
    (and if it's too much work and this thread dies, I totally understand) smile
  2. Soundtrack: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - John Williams
    Track of Sound: (16) The Chess Game
    Moment in the Film: the moment they start to realize it is serious as hell, and the suspension music builds up.
    Why I Love ItMy favourite moment is when Ron faces the final blow. Williams' build up is sensational and sadly the victory fanfare in the movie is forgotten on CD

Voila, at least It will die with a respone wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2009 edited
    Soundtrack: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone - John Williams
    Track of Sound: (3) The arrival of Baby Harry / (19) Hedwig´s Theme
    Moment In The Film: The very beginning / The very end
    Why I Love It: I just love Hedwig´s Theme; I adore how it captures the feeeling and atmosphere of that magical world of Harry Potter, all the excitement, all the wonder, all the darkness and dangers ahead. I love how the movie begins with a short rendering of the first few moments of the theme in track 3, helping us to step into this wonderful universe.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Is the actual title on all your albums Harry Potter and The SORCERERS Stone?

Mine is Harry Potter and The PHILOSOPHERS Stone.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Sorry. You´re right. Very.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2009
    Soundtrack: Harry Potter and the PHILOSOPHER'S Stone - John Williams
    Track of Sound: (3) Harry's Wondrous World
    Moment In The Film: I have no idea, I have not seen this since it was on at the cinema.
    Why I Love It: Grand, epic, sweeping classic Williams stuff! 2:39-2:58 is incredible.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Sorry. You´re right. Very.

Damn Yanks. tongue
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Btw, how often and who decides when we change score/movie?
  4. Soundtrack: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone - John Williams
    Track of Sound: The Chess Game
    Moment In The Film: Errr I never saw the film.
    Why I Love It: I love The Chess Game wonderful percussion in that. Great build-up. I have to say though that Harry Wondrous World is the real classic of the album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Soundtrack: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone - John Williams
    Track of Sound: (19) Hedwig's Theme
    Moment In The Film End Credits
    Why I Love It: The last 49 seconds. The orchestrations are simply perfect... all those swirling woodwinds and strings... and especially that run of trumpets at the 4:31 mark. That's the work of a true master composer who absolutely loves what he does. What a fantastic ending to a brilliant piece of music.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. Anthony wrote
    Btw, how often and who decides when we change score/movie?

Very great question. Not sure. Any ideas? I guess we could go until someone doesn't have the named soundtrack to select a track from, then they could change the soundtrack? Um, or 10 different people's responses, then the last person can list another soundtrack? But that would be hard to count. Or we could do a different one each day and the first person to wake up in the morning, wherever they are in the world, could be the first to present the new soundtrack for that day? smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I think it's a great idea for a thread, but as luck would have it, this film doesn't mean very much to me. (Well, nothing, actually). I like the score, but couldn't place any of it back in the movie if you put a gun to my head. shame

I'll sit this one out until we get a film switch. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Oh man! I did not read that part about how you were going to pick a particular score and have everyone mention their fave parts from it. I thought it was from any score. And I skimmed through the rest of the thread with increasing bewilderment-- How can everyone's fave track be from HP 1?

With Tommy I guess that was ok. With Ralph I expected a MV/RCP but ah, once in a while that's ok too. With Timmer I was sure he was going to pick Barry but he didn't say anything so moving on. Erik's pick was ok though I was expecting Indy. But something didn't make sense there. What was Anthony doing with a HP pick? No, it could not be. shocked That's when I went back to the first post to re-read. rolleyes

Sorry for the completely random post. Just recovering from weeks of zero score listening.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Just because I love the MV style it doesn´t mean I would rank an MV score first.

There are some incredible MV style tracks around that would certainly be part of my personal Top 10, but I´m quite sure my most beloved scores have a more classic approach.

I never did a Top 10, though. I know my favourite track ever is The Enterprise, but beyond that, creating a list would result in blood and gore.
  6. Martijn wrote
    I think it's a great idea for a thread, but as luck would have it, this film doesn't mean very much to me. (Well, nothing, actually). I like the score, but couldn't place any of it back in the movie if you put a gun to my head. shame

I'll sit this one out until we get a film switch. smile

Why don't you post the next one then Martijn. I was thinking try to keep them more mainstream scores, so more people might have listened to them and have a favorite track. I'm sorry you have no favorite Potter piece. Not sure yet if we're changing every day or every 10 people's posts or...
  7. Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Just because I love the MV style it doesn´t mean I would rank an MV score first.

There are some incredible MV style tracks around that would certainly be part of my personal Top 10, but I´m quite sure my most beloved scores have a more classic approach.

I never did a Top 10, though. I know my favourite track ever is The Enterprise, but beyond that, creating a list would result in blood and gore.

I idea of trying to come up with a list of my favorite top 10 tracks intrigues me. That would be a lot of fun, I think. Maybe I'll try that.

As for Harry Potter, I remember liking tracks 2 and 18 best, but now I don't remember why. I'll have to go listen to it again and get back to you...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2009
    Severe HarryPotteritis.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Filmscoregirl wrote
    Why don't you post the next one then Martijn.

Cool. Will do.

Not sure yet if we're changing every day or every 10 people's posts or...

I'd just leave it for a few days until responses start to taper off. Then we could have a change. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I like Martijn have little or no interest in the film thus the score isn't as important to me
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    I like Martijn have little or no interest in the film thus the score isn't as important to me

shocked

That just F__KING shocking! How many other scores do you dismiss just because you don't like the film? You must not listen to a lot of Goldsmith then?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    "Isn't as important" <> "dismiss"
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2009 edited
    Shall we just go with something different then?

Soundtrack: RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK - John Williams
    Track of Sound: Flight From Peru
    Moment in the Film: Indy vs. the samurai sword.
    Why I Love It: Flight From Peru is the ultimate in heroic action music. It's the first time the Raider's March appears in the film and aside from the submarine scene it's never been topped!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2009 edited
    Anthony wrote
    Why I Love It: Flight From Peru is the ultimate in heroic action music. It's the first time the Raider's March appears in the film and aside from the submarine scene it's never been topped!

I think it has. It's appearance in Short Round Helps is probably the most heroic version of the theme mainly because of what it plays with on screen. Indy swinging to the Mine Car with the Indy theme playing along with him... doesn't get much better than that! But those two examples about are freaking awesome as well.

Ok... let's play along

Track of Sound: The Map Room: Dawn
    Moment in the Film: Just as the beam of light hits the medallion to shows Indy the location of the Well of the Souls.
    Why I Love It: The entire sequence is bloody brilliant as it gave Williams the film music composer's ultimate wetdream... a scene with no dialogue and hardly any sound effects... just music. Williams' is the story teller in this sequence. And the moment the beam of light hits the medallion there is this splash of colour from the orchestra... one big thunderous chord... that sends goosebumps down our spines and tells us that this is more than a straight forward action adventure film.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You already mentioned my favourite moment in Raiders: The submarine scene! SO AWESOME. I feel the need to salute every time I hear or see that scene!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote

I think it has. It's appearance in Short Round Helps is probably the most heroic version of the theme mainly because of what it plays with on screen. Indy swinging to the Mine Car with the Indy theme playing along with him... doesn't get much better than that! But those two examples about are freaking awesome as well.

Ok... let's play along

Track of Sound: The Map Room: Dawn
    Moment in the Film: Just as the beam of light hits the medallion to shows Indy the location of the Well of the Souls.
    Why I Love It: The entire sequence is bloody brilliant as it gave Williams the film music composer's ultimate wetdream... a scene with no dialogue and hardly any sound effects... just music. Williams' is the story teller in this sequence. And the moment the beam of light hits the medallion there is this splash of colour from the orchestra... one big thunderous chord... that sends goosebumps down our spines and tells us that this is more than a straight forward action adventure film.

-Erik-

My choice exactly but I'm glad you beat me to it Erik as you said it better! beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  8. Agreed. The Map Room it is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2009
    That is not totally true Erik. I'm not a fan of "Gone With The Wind" but enjoy the score immensely.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it cool

Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
  9. I'm going to start another one if nobody minds, because I think most favorite Raiders tracks have been mentioned. But please, if you still have one, post it! smile

Soundtrack: Braveheart - James Horner
    Track of Sound: (10) The Battle of Stirling
    Moment in the Film: I actually don't remember. I saw the movie for the only time after getting my wisdom teeth taken out in high school, and I was well, on pain killers and don't remember much of the movie. The soundtrack on the other hand....
    Why I Love It: Wow, the percussion in this piece and the strings, the intensity and thunderous swells, it just climbs my heart rate in a totally harmonious way, which wouldn't normally go together I guess. It's just incredibly fantastic to my ears. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2009
    As someone who never listens to film music because of the film (in fact, the film is as far as humanly possible away from me when I listen to soundtracks), I guess this topic's not for me.
    I am extremely serious.