• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Meaning, which composers have you tried to like, but never could quite jump on their bandwagon?

I'd say the biggest name for me would be Dimitri Tiomkin. Perhaps it's because the majority of scores I've heard of his are westerns and I'm not a huge fan of the genre. I just do not know. I liked his work on It's A Wonderful Life and I respect High Noon, but beyond that I find him rather average. At least with the scores I've heard for the Guns of Navarone and hell, even the Alamo.

Though I reserve the right to re-discover him later on in my life.
    I'm your Piper at the gates of dawn.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2007 edited
    Elfman. Totally, with some very few exceptions.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Christodoulides wrote
    Elfman. Totally, with some very few exceptions.

Me too. Though I can appreciate it on u superficial level, it often feels too artificial to me and I can't get emotionally involved (with the exception of Edward Scissorhands and a few others). He's at his best when he just goes plain wacky and fun.

I also never really clicked with Randy or David Newman, their music never really touched me. There's something I don't like about Marco Beltrami's style, although I recently loved 3:10 to Yuma and I, Robot has great moments.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    Hans Zimmer / Media Ventures - everything sounds like the Rock... ubercool nonsense.
    Trevor Rabin
    Dennis McCartney
    Randy Edelman - to much synths - "empty" orchestral feeling.. like some cues from Gettysburg though.
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2007
    Max Steiner haven't clicked with me. I've tried his "King Kong", a.o., and I just don't see the charm of it at all. But I still admire him for his brilliant and famous theme from "A summer place". Perhaps I will discover other stuff I like from him in the future. I never give up on composers.

Peter cow
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Defenitely Bruce Broughton for me.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Hans Zimmer...I just don't get it! dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Bregt wrote

Pure, unadulterated BLASPHEMY! shocked

My blasphemous disliking of a composer? Ennio I'm afraid.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote
    Bregt wrote

Pure, unadulterated BLASPHEMY! shocked

My blasphemous disliking of a composer? Ennio I'm afraid.

I'm quite like Bregt there. Everything I've listened to of Broughton's just didn't do it for me.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Danny Elfman

Unfortunately I find the majority of his music irritating, though I do get the impression he'd make a good drinking buddy on a night on the piss cool wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Golden Age
    Can't get into at all:
    - Hugo Friedhofer
    Can't get into for a large part:
    - Bernard Herrmann
    - David Raksin
    Starting to get into:
    - Franz Waxman
    - Erich Wolfgang Korngold

Modern Age
    Can't get into at all:
    - Leonard Rosenmann
    - Alexandre Desplat
    - Paul Haslinger
    - Philip Glass
    Can't get into for a large part:
    - Bruce Broughton (poor bloke...he's getting quite the pounding here sad )
    - Cliff Eidelman
    - Howard Blake
    - Alberto Iglesias
    - Michael Kamen ( shame )
    Starting to get into:
    - Elliot Goldenthal
    - Trevor Rabin
    - John Scott
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I notice you don't mention Morricone, Martijn? wink

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I *like* Morricone!
    You're not gonna drag up that silly argument we had a great number of years ago, are you? shame
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Martijn wrote
    I *like* Morricone!
    You're not gonna drag up that silly argument we had a great number of years ago, are you? shame

Tell us more. biggrin
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    No.
    tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Hehe. Just wondered whether you had changed your mind about the guy. wink

Peter cow
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I do NOT change my mind. I am a rock in a sea of troubled water and purple mountains majesty indivisible under God hallowed be thy name! angry

It's just that certain nuances have come into play.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Nuances are good!

It seems to me that williamsians are rarely morriconians and vice-versa. Not surprisingly considering how different their styles are. Perhaps I'm an exception though since I dig both.

Peter cow
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote
    Nuances are good!

It seems to me that williamsians are rarely morriconians and vice-versa. Not surprisingly considering how different their styles are. Perhaps I'm an exception though since I dig both.

Peter cow

Williams and Morricone are both in my non changing top 5 composers of all time. cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Glad I'm not the only one.

Peter beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It's a bit early but....

beer back atcha cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Bregt wrote
    Martijn wrote
    I *like* Morricone!

Tell us more. biggrin

Basically I first got on scorereviews because Martijn made a comment about Morricone being overrated that annoyed me. A heated discussion followed, which I won of course. biggrin tongue biggrin (Just kidding)

Since then I've calmed down a bit, and don't feel provoked so easily. I've realized since that all we're basically doing is talking taste, even though we all tend to make statements as if we're being entirely objective.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Danny Efman
    Howars Shore
    John BArry
    Bruce Broughton
    Bill Conti
    Mark Isham
    John Ottman
    Newman Family (ehehe)
    Graeme Revell

Almost every Golden Age composer .Except for Bernar Herrman and Franz Waxman. Anyway I must say I heard not very much from Golden Age Era.
  2. Brian Tyler
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Don't worry Brucey, me and Erik still love ya. sad
  3. I have it harder to get more out of a Bruce Broughton than most seem to do. He obviously writes great themes and scores, but still apart from some exceptions (Like Tombstone and Sherlock Holmes, and the recently released Harry and the Hendersons), I'm still not really for his sound. But I'm getting there wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorHansP
    Oh.. loads..

Angelo Badalamenti
    Klaus Badelt (except for Rescue Dawn)
    Marco Beltrami
    Bill Conti
    Don Davis
    Jerry Fielding
    Hans Zimmer
    Vangelis
    Max Steiner
    Mark Mancina

To take a few.. BUT, I am always open for the thought that I just haven't given them a fair shot...
    We'll always have Paris...
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    All the peoplpe who said "Hans Zimmer" will be authomatically Banned when I will be Moderator in a near future biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorHansP
    Without giving Jordi any leverage; Zimmer was good up to Gladiator... but since then...rubbish!! And too many words has been given Mr. Zimmer already; so .. finito!
    We'll always have Paris...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    plindboe wrote

Oh, I think things have mellowed down considerably as far as that's concerned.
    I love a lot of what Williams has done.
    Some material though leaves me stone cold.

I love (in no mean part thanks to some suggestions made by an eminent Morricone expert on this board wink ) a lot of what Morricone has done.
    Some material though leaves me stone cold.

What's very special though is that when either composer is good, I mean really good, like brilliant, it evokes the same emotional response from me. So for me both composers, in an emotional quality, are completely comparable. Equal even. punk